07.01.13

MAKE IT / 37

my grandparents live on a farm and have this tree swing in their front yard attached to an enormous tree. it’s very special to all of us grandkids. when natalie suggested that we make a tree swing for our DIY column i was sold. i have so many memories outside as a child, swinging on that swing. kids love their iPads and video games, but there is something very special about just playing outdoors, right? this would be a fun family project…

what you’ll need:

• 10 x 2 wood board cut to 24 inch length
ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape
• 2 colors of spray paint
• outdoor craft paint and brush
• sand paper (medium and fine grit)
• clear coat spray
• 3/4 inch braided polypropylene rope
• drill with a 1 inch spade or wood boring bit
• hand sander (optional)

how to make it:

• drill 1 in holes in the corner of your board and sand the edges. if you have a hand sander you can round the edges if you want.
• paint both sides of your board one solid color. lightly sand between coats for a total of 3 coats.
• when your base coat is dry, tape off the design of your choice with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape and smooth edges. we love creating geometric designs since we can create such a clean edge.

• spray several coats of paint in your second color on both sides as well. sand between coats if necessary.
• when all of your paint is dry peel off the blue tape to reveal your design.

• with outdoor craft paint, hand paint dots around the outside of your design to make a boarder and stripes along the edges of your board to contrast with the sharpness of your geometric design.
to help protect your swing from the elements clear coat your board with two to three coats of clear gloss spray.

• now take your 3/4 inch braided polypropylene rope to hang your swing from your tree. be sure to use the braided variety instead of twisted to combat wear and tear. to determine the length needed measure from the branch to the level that you would like your swing, multiply by four and add four feet extra to make a knot
• because each tree is unique so is each tree swing. you may want to do some research on the best hanging method for your tree online. we found some great video tutorials on various secure knots online. we decided on two large loops to hang our swing because of the branch we hung our swing from was well suited for this type of rig.  you may want to choose something slightly different depending on your own circumstances so we encourage you to consider your options and choose a method and knot that works best for your swing.

*** bonus round, add tassels to the bottom of your swing once you’ve hung it for extra, extra high flying fun.

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

(this project was sponsored by ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape. Visit ScotchBlue.com for more information.)scotchblue, scotchblue painter's tape, painter's tape, tape

• 1. Amanda Marie  |  July 1st, 2013 at 8:19 am

Oh I totally wish I had a backyard to make this beauty! Indoor living room swing anyone?

• 2. Allie  |  July 1st, 2013 at 8:40 am

This is wonderful! I especially love the tassels at the end!

• 3. Brooke  |  July 1st, 2013 at 8:41 am

This is so awesome! Love this idea and the design.

xo honestlyb.com

• 4. melanie  |  July 1st, 2013 at 9:28 am

love.love.love. i’ve been dying to use some of that Montana Gold spray paint because the packaging is just so damn good.

• 5. Kayleigh | Notes of Inspires  |  July 1st, 2013 at 10:02 am

Beautiful DIY! Love the colors and tassels on the swing!

• 6. laura  |  July 1st, 2013 at 10:47 am

I remember my first swing that my dad built for the backyard. I need to revive that memory and make my own, I love @Amanda Marie’s idea of making a living room swing. Thanks for sharing!

• 7. Brittni  |  July 1st, 2013 at 10:56 am

This is the perfect color scheme for summer. Love all the painted details and those tassels!

• 8. Elizabeth  |  July 1st, 2013 at 10:56 am

You seriously come up with the best DIYs! Can’t wait to see what you do next.

Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

• 9. Alexandra Pettinato  |  July 1st, 2013 at 11:20 am

Amazing! I wish I had a yard with a big tree and a swing. For now it’s just apartment living though. Thanks for sharing though – such a cute idea.

Alex from http://www.polkadottedpixels.com

• 10. Nicole  |  July 1st, 2013 at 11:37 am

This makes me wish I had a tree!

I love the colorful swing, great idea :)

Nicole

• 11. Samantha Penner  |  July 1st, 2013 at 11:44 am

I love the tassels! That’s the best part. Great DIY… once again! ;)

Sam

• 12. Aileen  |  July 1st, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Very cute and summery! I love it!

• 13. Melissa  |  July 1st, 2013 at 12:33 pm

How cute! Love this :-) x

• 14. Maggie  |  July 1st, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Thanks for the wonderful idea! Love how you painted it.
    Best,

• 15. Tiphaine  |  July 1st, 2013 at 12:52 pm

It is so nice :)

Tiphaine a French fan

• 16. jen  |  July 1st, 2013 at 1:40 pm

i love her shirt! please tell me the brand!

• 17. Sam  |  July 1st, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Love this! It makes me wish I had a tree in my backyard to do this.

• 18. San Diego Photographer  |  July 1st, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Very cute. My daughter would love this.

• 19. Bettina  |  July 1st, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I love this! It would make the perfect swing for a little kid!

• 20. Alexandra  |  July 2nd, 2013 at 3:00 am

Great idea and nice colours! Love the tassels :)

• 21. whitney deal  |  July 2nd, 2013 at 6:39 am

I had a swing when I was small and this just made my day! Now looking for the perfect branch..

• 22. Esther  |  July 2nd, 2013 at 8:42 am

Those tassels are the perfect touch to your already whimsical swing seat! Love the color scheme.

• 23. inminorwelt  |  July 2nd, 2013 at 11:00 am

Oh I wanna have summer!
    German summer lets us crave for sunny seconds!
    Rainrainrain…
    Lovely summer project – I love the colour combi!

• 24. Dominika  |  July 2nd, 2013 at 11:30 am

omg!!! love it!

• 25. Christina Foster  |  July 2nd, 2013 at 1:27 pm

i love it! wish i had a yard to make one myself. i most definitely cannot put one on my fire escape! instead, i will use this as inspiration for the top of our dining table, which will have wooden legs that fold in to hang up on the wall as an art piece when not in use. space saving and multi-use 101!

• 26. Five Good Things & Ne&hellip  |  July 4th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

[...] 2. You could crumble those over this Peach and Pistachio Coconut Milk Ice-Cream? 3.  Make a decorated swing at DesignLoveFest. 4.  How to make Farro Salad at Oh Joy! 5.  Kinfolk magazine heads to [...]

• 27. 74 fun things // 26 | 74 &hellip  |  July 4th, 2013 at 7:05 pm

[...] Fun outside with a tree swing from design love fest [...]

• 28. AC  |  July 7th, 2013 at 10:36 am

Gonna make this beauty first chance I get.

• 29. Emily | Sparkle Meets Pop  |  July 8th, 2013 at 11:02 am

How fun! I love it!

• 30. DIY Tree Swing | Excellen&hellip  |  July 9th, 2013 at 4:02 am

[...] swing was just a wooden board attached with some rope (it got the job done!), but I just ran across this charming little tutorial on DesignLoveFest and the resulting swing is really sweet.  Those [...]

• 31. DIY, un jardin, une tente&hellip  |  July 11th, 2013 at 1:44 am

[...] planche de bois et la transformer en balançoire, recycler des bobines // Make it tree swing via Design love fest // Spools as jewels via Little pin cushion [...]

• 32. berthomé  |  July 19th, 2013 at 4:59 am

i love this idea for my little girl, just nead a three now!! merci

• 33. Monthly roundup: Best lin&hellip  |  August 2nd, 2013 at 1:20 am

[...] Make a tree swing (why not?) [...]

• 34. Weekend Wisdom | Tulle&hellip  |  August 2nd, 2013 at 4:09 pm

[...] From around the web.. – Try this 60′s Punk Eye Tutorial for a fun evening look!  c/o The Beauty Department – Adventures to go on with The Steele Maiden – DIY Tree Swing via Design Love Fest [...]

• 35. Link Round-up: Delicious &hellip  |  August 3rd, 2013 at 6:02 am

[...] Design Love Fest showed us how to create a beautiful wooden tree swing. [...]

• 36. Lauren @ Momhomeguide  |  August 4th, 2013 at 9:23 pm

So cool! My kids would love this! I have to see if we have any tree branches that could support a swing.

• 37. Julia  |  August 15th, 2013 at 7:08 pm

How’d you do the tassels??

• 38. Jessica Smith  |  August 27th, 2013 at 11:41 am

That is the cutest swing I’ve ever seen. I have a couple in my yard, I just bought one from treeswingstore.com and my kids spend hours out there. It’s a life saver for a busy mom!

• 39. Anonymous  |  November 6th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

This is so wonderful, off to work out how to make those tassels now…

• 40. Emily  |  February 8th, 2014 at 8:47 am

LOVE this idea to make a tree swing with flair!! How did you make the tassels? Thanks!

• 41. Jonathan  |  August 29th, 2014 at 3:39 pm

It might look nice, but the rigging shown on this picture is very unsafe. I wouldn’t trust just two loops to hold any kind of load. Safety>design.

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg