07.01.13

MAKE IT / 37

my grandparents live on a farm and have this tree swing in their front yard attached to an enormous tree. it’s very special to all of us grandkids. when natalie suggested that we make a tree swing for our DIY column i was sold. i have so many memories outside as a child, swinging on that swing. kids love their iPads and video games, but there is something very special about just playing outdoors, right? this would be a fun family project…

what you’ll need:

• 10 x 2 wood board cut to 24 inch length
ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape
• 2 colors of spray paint
• outdoor craft paint and brush
• sand paper (medium and fine grit)
• clear coat spray
• 3/4 inch braided polypropylene rope
• drill with a 1 inch spade or wood boring bit
• hand sander (optional)

how to make it:

• drill 1 in holes in the corner of your board and sand the edges. if you have a hand sander you can round the edges if you want.
• paint both sides of your board one solid color. lightly sand between coats for a total of 3 coats.
• when your base coat is dry, tape off the design of your choice with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape and smooth edges. we love creating geometric designs since we can create such a clean edge.

• spray several coats of paint in your second color on both sides as well. sand between coats if necessary.
• when all of your paint is dry peel off the blue tape to reveal your design.

• with outdoor craft paint, hand paint dots around the outside of your design to make a boarder and stripes along the edges of your board to contrast with the sharpness of your geometric design.
to help protect your swing from the elements clear coat your board with two to three coats of clear gloss spray.

• now take your 3/4 inch braided polypropylene rope to hang your swing from your tree. be sure to use the braided variety instead of twisted to combat wear and tear. to determine the length needed measure from the branch to the level that you would like your swing, multiply by four and add four feet extra to make a knot
• because each tree is unique so is each tree swing. you may want to do some research on the best hanging method for your tree online. we found some great video tutorials on various secure knots online. we decided on two large loops to hang our swing because of the branch we hung our swing from was well suited for this type of rig.  you may want to choose something slightly different depending on your own circumstances so we encourage you to consider your options and choose a method and knot that works best for your swing.

*** bonus round, add tassels to the bottom of your swing once you’ve hung it for extra, extra high flying fun.

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

(this project was sponsored by ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape. Visit ScotchBlue.com for more information.)scotchblue, scotchblue painter's tape, painter's tape, tape

Amanda Marie says:

Oh I totally wish I had a backyard to make this beauty! Indoor living room swing anyone?

Allie says:

This is wonderful! I especially love the tassels at the end!

Brooke says:

This is so awesome! Love this idea and the design.

xo honestlyb.com

melanie says:

love.love.love. i’ve been dying to use some of that Montana Gold spray paint because the packaging is just so damn good.

Beautiful DIY! Love the colors and tassels on the swing!

laura says:

I remember my first swing that my dad built for the backyard. I need to revive that memory and make my own, I love @Amanda Marie’s idea of making a living room swing. Thanks for sharing!

Brittni says:

This is the perfect color scheme for summer. Love all the painted details and those tassels!

Elizabeth says:

You seriously come up with the best DIYs! Can’t wait to see what you do next.

Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

Amazing! I wish I had a yard with a big tree and a swing. For now it’s just apartment living though. Thanks for sharing though – such a cute idea.

Alex from http://www.polkadottedpixels.com

Nicole says:

This makes me wish I had a tree!

I love the colorful swing, great idea :)

Nicole

I love the tassels! That’s the best part. Great DIY… once again! 😉

Sam

Aileen says:

Very cute and summery! I love it!

Melissa says:

How cute! Love this :-) x

Maggie says:

Thanks for the wonderful idea! Love how you painted it.
    Best,

Tiphaine says:

It is so nice :)

Tiphaine a French fan

jen says:

i love her shirt! please tell me the brand!

Sam says:

Love this! It makes me wish I had a tree in my backyard to do this.

Very cute. My daughter would love this.

Bettina says:

I love this! It would make the perfect swing for a little kid!

Alexandra says:

Great idea and nice colours! Love the tassels :)

whitney deal says:

I had a swing when I was small and this just made my day! Now looking for the perfect branch..

Esther says:

Those tassels are the perfect touch to your already whimsical swing seat! Love the color scheme.

inminorwelt says:

Oh I wanna have summer!
    German summer lets us crave for sunny seconds!
    Rainrainrain…
    Lovely summer project – I love the colour combi!

i love it! wish i had a yard to make one myself. i most definitely cannot put one on my fire escape! instead, i will use this as inspiration for the top of our dining table, which will have wooden legs that fold in to hang up on the wall as an art piece when not in use. space saving and multi-use 101!

AC says:

Gonna make this beauty first chance I get.

berthomé says:

i love this idea for my little girl, just nead a three now!! merci

So cool! My kids would love this! I have to see if we have any tree branches that could support a swing.

Julia says:

How’d you do the tassels??

Jessica Smith says:

That is the cutest swing I’ve ever seen. I have a couple in my yard, I just bought one from treeswingstore.com and my kids spend hours out there. It’s a life saver for a busy mom!

Anonymous says:

This is so wonderful, off to work out how to make those tassels now…

Emily says:

LOVE this idea to make a tree swing with flair!! How did you make the tassels? Thanks!

Jonathan says:

It might look nice, but the rigging shown on this picture is very unsafe. I wouldn’t trust just two loops to hold any kind of load. Safety>design.

Can you feel overwhelmed when college’s area comes up?
    Does the experience look confounding? You aren’t the only one if you are stressed by English
    schools in Dubai out. There is help! Appreciate English
    schools in Dubai! You will find Top schools in Dubai to be exciting, through
    the use of this advice.

Renting an serviced office Manama could be
    other varieties of small businesses, or a cost
    venture that is prohibitive, particularly for sole
    operator companies.

There is a notebook certainly one of the 21st century’s most significant revolutionary devices.
    Laptops are hardly cheap and fragile that is why the reason why they need care.
    Many individuals use quality notebook bags that are good to maintain their
    notebooks included. There are very fine bags obtainable
    in the market with different colors as well
    as layouts. A lot of people want to purchase bags merely
    as a result of their good looks. Contemplating this feature several
    producers and designers have designed and created messenger bags nz that were quite stylish.

We concur there’s a separation between web designers and
    web developers, there’s an entirely different thought-process going on on the website, Nevertheless, the separation between back end and front-end is just erroneous.
    To be a good web design Saudi Arabia designer you need to realize the full development cycle and to find a way to get involved with the
    project from start to finish. There’s also much to be learned in the working with all the technologies that are varying, but we
    are going to come on to that.

Whether you enjoy it or not believe it, vodafone customer service| vodafone number telephone number is an essential part of the world of
    business of advertisements in today’s. Just shop around about and you may observe examples of
    it everywhere – from text messaging, to in-game ads,
    to the net that is cellular. This short article provides advice
    on how to utilize it to best suit your needs.

The curtains in a room discover how the room looks and feels.
    There are plenty of drape models all meant for window types that are different making it more easy to obtain the curtain type that is right.
    Numerous factors which include the size of the design, the window and the location of the window blinds discover the sort of curtain to be properly used.

For a home with large windows, curtains and blinds kind one
    of the best strategies to dress them. Pick styles, colour and the material carefully.
    You can also possess the drapes custom made especially for
    windows that are big.

Very good info. Lucky me I ran across your website by
    chance (stumbleupon). I have book marked
    it for later!

Javala Outdoor adalah anak jenis usaha dari Djavala Group (www.djavala.com)
    yang sudah berkembang dari tahun 2014. Djavala memiliki lebih dari 3 jenis usaha seperti penyedia /
    supplier barang-barang outdoor (www.javalaoutdoor.com), penyedia service layanan untuk perjalanan
    wisata tour & travel baik international dan domestik khusus Indonesia (www.javalatour.com), penyedia barang-barang distro / style (www.javalaclothes.com) hingga merancah kedunia bisnis kuliner /
    makanan / snack.
    Bisnis usaha menjual barang outdoor dan penyewaan / sewa barang outdoor keril,carriel,carrier,daypack,sepatu gunung,boots,
    cover bag,tenda,kompor,headlamp,outdoor,javalaoutdoor,javala,djavala,treking pole,jaket polar,jaket gunung,dryback,peralatan gunung,peralatan climbing.