06.14.13

SO 27 IS WEIRD…

last night i posted this photo on instagram and said i was going through a phase of self-discovery. and that 27 is a strange age. i got so many comments. it’s like everyone knew 27 was weird but didn’t warn me! ha.

i figured i should document this time in my life…

CLICK THROUGH TO KEEP READING…

someone commented on my photo, “So far 27 has been the strangest combination of courage and confusion I’ve had yet. But I like it.” that is exactly how i feel right now. my early 20’s were all about doing what i was “supposed to do.” and somehow 27 feels full of courage. (here comes the part in the post where i know what i want to say but can’t put it into words and usually delete the post…but i am going to keep trying here.)

i would say the hardest part about being 27 (for me) has been going through a transformation in front of an audience. i’ve had to grow up in my little corner of the internet. make mistakes. and learn who i am. i went from hating my 9-5 job and blogging 25 times a day to now leaving graphic design behind almost completely. people are quick to give you advice and it’s definitely not always good & kind. people will ask me “when are you getting married?!” or “why don’t you buy a house?” well, because i’m just not ready for any of that right now. those questions make me feel 12 years old actually.

this is also a funny age to be socially. it feels like everyone is going on different paths, fast. i’ve discovered strong friendships in the past few years. friendships based on similarities in career or relationships. certain friends have drifted. 27 for me means a few very close friends and a lot of acquaintances. it means fostering the friendships that feel right and not making as much time for the ones that don’t. it sounds harsh, but i think in our early 20’s we put up with a lot, out of guilt, in our friendships. remember feeling like you had to go out to the bar even when you just wanted to stay in and watch movies? i’ve let a lot of that go.

someone told me recently that you meet 5 very pivotal people in your life. i’m not sure i’ve met all of them yet, but i can definitely remember meeting a few people that morphed my style completely. opened my eyes to a lifestyle that changed me. remember that friend you had that always dressed a little cooler than you…she had this effortless way about her that did not go unnoticed. (you didn’t have that friend? i sure did.) i don’t think all 5 of those people are going to tell you exactly how to change, i just think their presence will change you. if you observe it, admire it, and allow it.

27 for me is mostly a creative journey. i have always been driven by creativity, but now it feels time to push myself even further. let go of fear of judgement and just go for it. at least try to be memorable even if it comes off weird.

my friends and i went on a little road trip yesterday here, and in the car we played a game. you go around and say one thing that inspires you and one thing that does not. for me…inspired by the human silhouette & not inspired by mountains or inspired by the color white and not inspired by the color brown. it can be simple observations you make that help you know yourself a little more. i am really not trying to get all deep on you guys this morning, but i was so shocked by the amount of people that had something to say about being 27. it’s fascinating…

so tell me, was 27 this way for you? is this just the beginning? thanks for listening. -bri

• 1. Brook  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:30 am

What a great article! I am only one year younger, but feel like I can relate to everything you’re saying. And to me, it does not seem at all like you left graphic design behind completely—I can see your design talent that you put into your blog everyday, and more importantly, your PASSION!

xo honestlyb.com

• 2. Mercedes  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:31 am

wauw your onlu 27 years old? i thought you were much older!

• 3. Krista  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:35 am

*THIS!*

I’m turning 27 this August, and I feel exactly the same way — you captured it perfectly.

• 4. Katie  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Oh geez! I turn 27 in August. I have a magic age of 28 where I believe everything will be right with my life. I’m already starting to feel the pressure of that age approaching.

I agree with you that as you approach your late twenties you get confident in your lifestyle choices and who you hang out with.

• 5. Stephanie  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:48 am

You’re so on the money here. It’s a transition time. I spent my 27th birthday at Navy boot camp. It was time for a change, so I just went for it. The whole year definitely had an air of strangeness about it, but when I came out on the other end I had grown a lot and changed mostly for the better. I think your late twenties are a strange but really exciting time in your life. It’s great that you’re documenting it.

• 6. Lindsay  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:49 am

I am currently 27 and feeling much the same way. I’m taking a big pay cut to go back to grad school in the fall. My boyfriend is moving with me over 1000 miles across the country. It’s exciting, scary, stressful, and it feels like a new beginning.
    I feel the same way about friends too. I’ve cut out a lot of friends in the past year because going out with them always ended up in annoyance or me asking myself “why am i friends with this person?” I’d rather spend my night on the couch than hang with someone I don’t genuinely like or respect.
    Thanks for this post! It’s good to know others feel the same way.

• 7. nicole  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:51 am

I’m 30 and I completely resonated with every word you wrote. 27 was a time when I started to realize all that you’ve talked about, but now that i’m 30, it’s amplified even more. It’s like i’m really IN IT and feeling the changes i’ve been looking for. Have fun figuring it all out ;)

• 8. Nache  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:53 am

Funny you should write this article. I always tell my family and friends 27 is when life got a little weird and even my body started to change. By 30 I had it all figured out … sort of. ;)

• 9. erin  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:56 am

I turned 27 in march–and yes, this has been a really transitional year for me so far! It’s kind of crazy–my business is taking off, I got married, we’re planning on moving to another state… lots of crazy things happening.
    It also seems like (at least when you don’t’ have kids) it’s a weird in-between age. A bit too old to party all the time (at least for me), but no major responsibilities like having children rely on you. It’s pretty fun though, doing whatever you want! haha I’m just not sure I feel like an adult yet!

• 10. Chelsea  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:57 am

You could be starting to experience Saturn return (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_return)

I had mine at 28. Weird, weird year that involved leaving a man I loved behind to move to Australia. Was miserable and difficult and now I am 30 and I feel invincible!

Also…isn’t 27 when, like, every promising musician died? Janis, Kurt, and a bunch of others…maybe it is weird!

• 11. Erika  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:58 am

yeah, 27 was a bit of an odd age for me… i’ve been going through a quarter life crisis for a few years now and 27 was when i started to “wake up”, for lack of a better term. i realized that i needed to start listening to my gut more often than i had been and it turned into a year of discovery, inspiration and clarity. i’m still on that track as my 28 year old self but now the push to go beyond the safe zones feels even stronger. i’m also learning it’s okay to ask for help and sometimes, you need to let go of the negative people and things in your life (even if they’ve been through years with you). i’ve also feared getting closer to 30 but i’m realizing that i’m approaching a time in my life where i’ve got my ish figured out, you know? like, i’m finally coming into my own and am happy with it, rather than trying to live up to everyone else’s expectations.

good luck on your journey and have fun (and keep up with these types of post… they’re good stuff!)

• 12. Danielle DeBoe Harper  |  June 14th, 2013 at 9:59 am

it IS just the beginning! I’m guessing this journey of self-discovery is never-ending, but half way through my 30’s now, I have to say this is the weirdest time yet! You’re right about what you said regarding friendships. our priorities and interests (and what inspires/doesn’t inspire us) are always evolving and our friendships, careers and style evolves right alongside all of that. life is so weird.

• 13. Kate  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:00 am

Now I’m nervous for 27! I feel like I’ve been a weird age since I was 20 and I graduated college–but maybe for most people that’s 22, which is the age I am now? I feel like I’m still fighting to make a place for myself, even though over the last year that “place” has changed (a little and a lot!) a few times. I’ve never worked a full time job (is that weird?) and went straight to freelancing and part time gigs because I graduated when there were NO jobs available, so it’s been hard to make connections. Not knowing anyone makes me feel like a baby artist yelling “look at me!” because I’m young and I’m inexperienced. Ladies in your mid- or late-twenties…does that feeling ever go away?

• 14. richele  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:06 am

27-31 was kinda awful for me. I flushed my whole life and started over. It was good and bad all in the same moment. I think the expectations of that age from society play a lot into it. If you weren’t that age some of those questions wouldn’t happen.

I wished I would have paid attention to the inner voice instead of listening to outside people’s pressures [hence the needed flush]. I wish I could say it will get easier… it’s just different when you get more sure of who you are [so don't cave].

wait till they start hammering with “when are you going to have a baby” it doesn’t even matter if you’re married. yah that’s real special.

• 15. kristin  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:06 am

27 was the age in which everything changed for me – my whole way of life, my direction. I had no idea it was life changing for others, too!

• 16. Chelsea  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’ve still got a few years to go but I’ll keep all of this great information stored away for when 27 rolls around. I hope that you continue to learn and grow Bri, I think every age brings about some change in one way or another!

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

• 17. Jenny  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:17 am

I am going to be 31 this July and what you are experiencing is a wild, but completely normal, ride. The grays start to turn into black and whites and all of a sudden, knowing what you want is easier to find than ever. As for all the questions people ask you, I like to respond with something that is totally irrelevant, just for giggles. Most importantly, just have fun and be you. :)

• 18. Heather  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:19 am

I worked at a very small, tightknit job a few years ago. I was the youngest at 27 and my co-workers were in their early 30s. I was weirded out to be leaving the mid-20s and one co-worker told me that 27/28/29 are known as the “lost years” and everyone agreed. Pretty much exactly what you summed up above. Figuring yourself out, affirming the real friendships, questioning direction. I’m now 2 weeks from 30 and it couldn’t have been more true! Pivotal years where you and everyone around you start making huge transitions continuously… yet it flies by so quickly. Such a strange, but also great, scary, important time.

• 19. Jenni  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:19 am

Funny that you posted this on the 14th, it is my husband’s 27th birthday today!At 26, I have not gone through the 27 deal yet, but did have something very similar at 25. For me, 25 was a year of massive self discovery and changes based on that. The same for my Dad and a few friends. Let’s see about 27 ;)

• 20. vanessa  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:20 am

I feel that way too! Since I turned 27 almost a year ago I always felt like I should be kind of “settled down” soon, but on the other hand I feels doubts about some major things in my life, but feel also like I am unable to make a decision about them.

• 21. Mallory S  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:32 am

I’d say 27-31 in general are the pivotal years for women in particular. No matter what your life has been up until that point, it’s really a time when a lot of us question what we’ve done and what’s yet to come. After 15 years working towards one career, at the age of 29, I’m considering leaving it all behind because of what I want the rest of my life to be. It’s ok to be confused, frustrated, terrified or excited by what’s to come; it’s all a part of just figuring out who you are and who you truly want to become. Even those of us who seemingly have had our shit together our whole lives go through it…..

• 22. carin  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:32 am

wait till you turn 45

• 23. Lisa  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:34 am

I’ll turn 27 next January, but I feel like I’m easing into all the aspects of 27 you mentioned. I think maybe I just got fed up with the obligations and guilt and it left me in a really hard spot mentally and emotionally… so I actively chose to step out of that maybe a little earlier than some. So far 26 has been incredibly good to me, and I’m looking forward to how that plays out in the next couple years. Here’s to rocking your late 20s!

• 24. Melissa @ Bubby & Bean  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:41 am

I remember people asking me at 27 when I was going to get married, buy a house, start a family… Everyone is different but I felt that my 20s were a time of exploration and learning. It was a time for me to travel, have fun, and figure out who I was. You’ve already done much more career-wide at 27 than most, and that is something to be proud of. Enjoy yourself and have fun discovering. Because your 30s bring a whole new experience and lots of responsibilities, and they go by even more quickly than your 20s do. There will be plenty of time to ‘settle down’ when you are ready.

• 25. Karen  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:45 am

Gosh I wish I could be 27 again, it’s an age where life really starts to come together and you are knowledgeable enough about the world to start shaping your life into something that feels good, it takes time though, I agree that 27-30 is a weird time but also agree with someone above who said mid 30’s is even weirder, it feels like limbo right now (I’m approaching 26) late 20’s is so exciting though and I like what you said about refining certain aspects of what’s happening around you like friendship, you have a lot to look forward to over the next few years though, it actually keeps getting better,

• 26. Karen  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:46 am

*approaching 36* – just saw that! Wish I was 26!

• 27. erin  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:52 am

I wanted to be the 27th post on this piece about turning 27, which I did merely a decade ago. I can safely say that at 36 I’m feeling even more courageous and am still confronted by questions I’m not ready to answer. Hope you have a fabulous year!

• 28. christina @ homemade ocean  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:59 am

I turn 27 on Monday….

(and ps there are 27 comments while I type this…weird omen? haha)

This post sums up EVERYTHING I am feeling. You couldn’t have put it more perfectly. Friendships are changing, my goals are transforming. My whole life feels like it’s changing and I kind of like it. What I don’t like is ALL of my friends getting married and having kids and then putting the pressure on me to do the same. I am just not ready, but that doesn’t appear to be socially acceptable.

Thank you for suck a lovely post that helped me realize I am not alone.

• 29. Ame  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:02 am

I would agree that 27 is a rough age. I was actually just getting married, I had been a partner at the agency I was at for a year, and I was adjusting to a LOT of new life milestones at once.

For me though, the biggest adjustment age was 32, because I was firmly in my 30s, married a few years, and REALLY getting the “why don’t you have kids yet” questions (we don’t, still, and probably wont!), and I was about to walk away from the agency I helped found and build into what was at one point a mammoth and important local agency that my partners were doing everything they could to destroy in spite of me.

I literally just turned 35 two weeks ago, and this is the most introspective age of them all. My health sucks, I worked myself into nearly having a stroke and a heart attack trying to build that agency only to walk away and focus on my own company that I let slack, and now I feel like I am finally starting it all over ON MY OWN (well, with supportive husband and family and friends), and I am shedding the toxic people in my life, and past. This is the magic age for me, I think.

Ok that was too damn long on your blog, I apologize.

• 30. Melinda's Musings  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:07 am

27 felt very different than 25 for me. It’s something about being at that point when you are no longer in your mid-20s, but now in the late-20s/pre-30s phase. I’m turning 29 next month, and trust me that will feel very different from 27 too! At 27 I would have laughed if someone asked me about getting married or buying a house, but at 29 I’m thinking “wait, if I don’t plan these things for my future, who will?” Not to say that are necessary, but I think as you get older you realize nothing happens unless you plan it and put some effort into working towards it. Career of course, but also a spouse/kids/house/travel (whatever’s part of your vision). Also, like you mentioned, friends start to go on different paths at this point in life, so you have to decide who you’re ok with letting go of, and who you’re going to work to maintain the true friendships with. When I was younger dating and hanging out with friends seemed so easy, but as I get older I realize everything takes compromise and honest effort.
    I do love getting older. I’ve seen many friends freak out at the 29 year mark – I personally always say that my 30s are going to be fantastic – the same as my 20s, but with more money and success. ;) (Something I’m working towards of course!)

• 31. Laura  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:08 am

thank you for writing that post. it’s something i think so many of us think but never say out loud for fear of being misunderstood. i am currently 31, and while i think i have a better sense of “self” now, 27 was a stage of true metamorphosis. It was as exactly as you mention, black & white, forward & back, high & low. what i realized in 27 (and 28) was that my fears when faced often lead to positive outcomes and without the bad days (or sometimes awkward feeling days) i never would have appreciated the truly sweet days most memorable for all that they have to offer. so never look back and charge forward. xoxo

• 32. Selena  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:11 am

For me 27 was the year of these realizations and 28 is now shaping up to be a year of answering the question “what do I want for myself?” And finding the courage to take action. It definitely feels nice to be aware of myself.

• 33. Tanea  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:12 am

I’m 27 and it has been such a strange time for me. Everytime I think I know how things will go, they go the opposite way. I don’t feel 27; I feel more like I’m 19. I’m definitely still trying to get a grip on things and be an adult, but at the same time I always want to be the same girl. It’s weird. I always thought that by now I’d have my shit together.

• 34. mary  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:17 am

It’s so strange. My best friend and I were jussst talking about the relation between your actual age and the expectation that everyone has on that particular age. I’m 25, and have always considered myself a late bloomer, if you will. I graduated college later then most (age 24) with a graphic design degree, but still haven’t found my nook. I think that everyone’s expectation for 25 is to have that perfect job and move into you’re first home etc. But, if you try to rush yourself before you’re ready then you’re just faking it! I would like to say that by age 27 I’ll have it more figured out but who knows! I learn more and more each year, and I love that. I think that growing at your own pace and not following everyone else’s expectations is key.

• 35. LMG  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:20 am

When you’re 30, you realize that nobody cares about anyone to this depth, except close family and friends, and nobody was really watching, paying attention or concerned/caring about what you were going through at 27.

• 36. Nikki  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:21 am

Funny you say that, I’m currently 27, and for the first time I’m finally feeling somewhat content. The years post college were really rough for me. Between the age of 22-26, I dealt with a lot of uncontentment and anxiety, and had an irrationally hard time making decisions. I now feel like I have the confidence to make decisions, and enjoy life where I’m at. But I know I still have a lot of self-discovery in the next few years to find out what I’m really meant to do.
    Side note, I can’t believe you’re only 27!! Not that you look older at all, but you have accomplished SO much! I’ve been a reader for years and never realized we were the same age! I won’t lie, I feel a little unaccomplished!

• 37. Tanya  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:30 am

This is why I love blogging! I get to be a part of so many young women’s lives — in that strange connected but disconnected way; at my age, like a grandma of sorts. Self-discovery is an amazing journey that never really ends. That’s what makes life fun. I am happy to be a part of your discovery, even at a distance. I was honestly surprised when I learned your age — having accomplished what you have to date, for some reason I figured you had more years behind you. Thoughts of age must be in the air, as I did a blog entry just yesterday about the number 64! Your next year of life will be terrific…that I know.

• 38. Court @ Love Court xoxo  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:35 am

I’m only 20, so I can’t comment on being 27. But I have to say, this post makes me excited to be in my late 20s one day. It might be weird and awkward and different, but it sounds like it’s all that…in the very best of ways. Thanks for sharing <3

• 39. Lisa D.  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:37 am

What a great post! I never really thought about it before, but looking back, I can definitely say that the last five years (I’m 32 now) have been pretty transformative for me. I went from doing a job I felt like I “had” to do because I was “supposed” to to a job company that is much more up my alley (where I’ve grown into a new position and continue to thrive). I also went through a phase where I realized I needed to change my blogging habits — my blog used to be just personal and funny, and it was such a creative outlet for me, but I wanted to make it more professional-looking and branded as what I was putting out there for the world to see. At 27 and 28, I also started to learn the value of true friendships, how to say no, cut people out of my life that weren’t adding value, and finally how to thrive in a functional relationship by pursuing lots of my own hobbies. 27 was a little strange (and so were 28 and 29), but it was totally worth it because in my early 30s, I’ve just begun to feel pretty content with life and I’m able to focus specifically on one thing at a time to continually improve and make better as I get older. :)

• 40. stacey  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:38 am

Ok, so I’m the same age and felt myself in a major funk these last few months. I’ve always followed the rules, worked my ass of in school, had a great job…but it didn’t feel quite right. So, I quit not one, but TWO jobs this year in an attempt to “find myself”. I’ve been confronted with a lot of the feelings you expressed above, and I’m just so glad to hear other women are going through this. Makes me feel little more ok about things changing and sometimes I don’t know how to handle all of it. Sometimes, this 20-something decade gets hard. I recently saw this TedTalk (link below) and thought it was worth sharing. It’s a completely different outlook than we typically hear as a 20-something, but it makes the change and development we are going through now seem even more pivotal and (hopefully) exciting.

Thanks for letting your thoughts come out – as you can see, there’s a lot of us who appreciate hearing it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhhgI4tSMwc

• 41. Lizzie  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi Bri,

I’m not really into the whole astrology thing, but supposedly there *is* something to being 27 and 28…something about Saturn and life cycles. I’m sorry I don’t really know what I’m talking about here, but Google it! :) I am 29 and 27 and 28 were tough, uneasy years. Just hunker down, is my advice, and surround yourself with people who inspire and care for you.

xo,
    L

• 42. Sarah from a fine line  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:43 am

Having just had my 29th birthday, I look back fondly on 27. My daughter was one, I got engaged and planned the wedding of my dreams (which didn’t actually happen until I was 28), and quit my day job. Actually, 27 was kind of a weird year! I agree what you’re saying about friendships changing. I think by the time you’re 27 for various reasons career, family, etc., you just don’t have as much free time to spend with casual friends. Now, just shy of 30 I know myself better and have my priorities pretty well sorted out. It’s a good feeling. I promise someday you’ll look back, and wish you were 27 again!

• 43. Catherine  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:47 am

YES! I’ve said a few times this year (my 27th as well) – “this has been the weirdest year EVER”.

I’d echo everything you just said and: this year I felt a turn with my relationship with my parents. Just this year I feel like I’m taking care of them in stead of the reverse. It’s really not the best feeling!

Ready for 28!

• 44. Jackie  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:47 am

i <3 this. i am 26. my mom told me recently that she since i was born, she was excited to see where i'd be when i turned 27 because growing up, that's the age she always thought barbie was. i'm feeling a lot of what you're feeling at 26, and i can't wait to see where i'll be a year from now.

• 45. Sarah / Sarah Phelps Creative  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:52 am

Yes! 26-27 was definitely a strange and bewildering time – I left an old life behind, moved to a different country and really started thinking about who I am and what I want in life. I’m 32 now and can honestly say that I feel like things are just starting to settle down (it’s been a long, bumpy 5 years!). I feel more confident in myself, more focused on my goals, and less worried about what everyone is doing (or thinking about what I’m doing). Things might feel crazy for a while, but embrace it and know that you’ll come out of the other side still feeling like you.

• 46. Mrs. ShuGar  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:54 am

Your 20’s are a discovery decade. They are the transformative years. I feel like I experimented as to who I was and also explored parts of myself that I never knew were there. Now, your 30’s are beyond. You become so much more comfortable in your skin and embrace who you are as a woman. Courage speaks to a big part of it.

I cut all the b.s. once I hit 30. I lost certain people along the way, but you find out who your friends truly are. I also developed a keen sense of the kind of love I want. I, too, said I was so-not ready for marriage. I don’t know if it’s the biological clock or if it’s just listening to your heart in an uncensored way, but I let my heart be open in a way that it never was. Scary, vulnerable, but liberating. Now, I can’t imagine not being married to the love of my life.

You are going to love your 30’s even more =) In the meantime, 27 is preparing you for more amazing things to come!

• 47. Renee  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:59 am

This was a great post and really got me thinking. 27 was definitely a strange year for me. I had my heart broken in a way I never thought possible. I moved into an apartment for the first time without a boyfriend or roommate. I pushed myself creatively. I quit my job of 7 years and started freelancing in a completely different field. I got a puppy that I love to pieces. I met the man I thought I was going to marry.

I’d be lying if I said it was mostly figured out after 27, but I’ll be turning 30 in 2 weeks and I still have a lot to learn and figure out. The remaining years of my 20s have been a constant learning curve. Turning 30 really makes you reflect on your 20s and it’s truly amazing how many things (good and bad) happen and make you who you are and get your to where you’re suppose to be. You don’t always recognize it while it’s happening. It’s amazing how you can grow, how your relationships change and how far you can push yourself.

27 was a challenge – probably my most difficult year yet. I’m not ready to leave my 20s, but I say, bring it 30!

• 48. Christina  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Very interesting to read. I’m 26 so it felt like I was getting a heads up, haha. In my early twenties I dreaded my upper twenties, thinking I would feel so OLD. But so far 26 has felt good. I love epiphanies and moments of self-exploration, and I sense those beginning to pop up in my life with more frequency. Thank you for bringing up this interesting conversation!

• 49. CLARA  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:06 pm

HAVE U SEEN THESE? ITS HILLARIOUS! EARLY TWENTIES VS LATE TWENTIES.

im 28 by the way, and yes, i know what you’re talking about too!

• 50. Jessica  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I’m also 27 and love the color white. Let’s be friends. We could be pivotal for each other!

• 51. hayley  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I cried myself to sleep the night before my 27th birthday, for no reason at all. 27 has been the most bizarre year yet. it’s almost as if its the very first “real” year, whatever that means.

• 52. Trisha D.  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Thank you for writing this article!

Its great to hear that someone else is in the same boat as I. This new sense of self discovery and courage are just so amazing. Like a door opened to a whole new life.

• 53. Maddy  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This is such a spot-on post! I’m only a couple of months into my 27th year but I agree with everything you’ve said, especially about learning to cultivate the friendships that matter and not doing things out of guilt. I think learning to know yourself, your wants and needs (including a movie night at home sometimes!) is a very important part of growing up and maybe 27 is just the year everyone tends to realize that there isn’t infinite time to figure it out, so we’d better start now. Ha. :)

• 54. Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Just before turning 27, I broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years, was working a job I hated, was living in an apartment I hated, etc. It started off as a really rough year. But as it went on, I slowly but surely started to change all of the things that made me so unhappy. When I turned 28 I was so proud of myself for coming out all of that muck–it’s definitely a weird year, and for me it was transformative.

• 55. Gabbie  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I turn 27 next month and I started having a lot of these thoughts just this past week. I’m nervous, but excited. I think courage is a good word to describe it. I’ve held myself back a lot, for as a long as I can remember, for a lot of different reasons. This year though, I’m feeling more inspired than ever and at the same time like I care less about rules and limitations I set for myself in the past and I finally feel enough courage to make some big moves and changes. I can’t wait to see where I am next year. :)

• 56. Toni-Louise  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I turn 28 in a couple of weeks and have recently been reflecting on the past year, 27 has without a doubt been one of the oddest years yet. Its not been negative in any way, just bizarre, different from the rest, I feel like I’ve grown as a person this year more then any previous year and although I’ve been an independent person since 18, it was only this year I truly felt like an adult.

I would describe 27 as the year of questions, where I’ve properly sat back and asked myself what do I want with my life and then proactively gone after it, I don’t know why this year more then any other but its without a doubt all been a positive. My 28th year I expect to be even better, questions being answered and seeing all the seeds that were sewn in the 27th year take root and grow, I’m more excited for the 28th year more then any other before and its all because of the things I’ve done in my 27th year.

On top of all of that, my confidence has reached a all time high and the only difference I can put that down to is age, experience.

Thanks for such a lovely inspiring post, was so lovely to read someone else going thru the same things. I’m now going to ask all of my friends about their 27th year and see if it really is a common feeling. Thank you again! xx

• 57. Courtney  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

my 27th birthday is next friday and reading your post has both terrified me and excited me. reading these comments makes me ready to see what 27 does for me.

• 58. Viet  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:34 pm

i’m 29 going on 30, but 27 was a huge year for me! i got married, moved to Los Angeles, visited 3 different countries. it was definitely wild. i think you’re onto something! also, google: 27 club. it’s an age that crazy amazing artists seem to just die. a bit morbid, but definitely interesting!

• 59. Alana - Paper Planes  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Well…I had no idea 27 was like this…and that’s my next birthday…great.

• 60. kim  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Ha ha. This is so great! I am 27 and feel like I am going through a mid-life, well…quarter-life crisis. I have begin to question everything and I am starting to realize that life is so short- you really have to enjoy it while you can. I am quiting my job next month to persue some dreams of mine- I cant believe this is really happening….I am so scared and so excited at the same time…It is the best feeling. Thanks for this post :)

• 61. Stevie-Ella  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I turned 27 less than a week ago and yes, it’s very weird.
    Mostly, I feel guilty and pressured. Like I should have the start of a career I enjoy and I should be out relaxing with friends. Instead, I spend all my time working on things that seem to go nowhere.
    My faith in where I’m going has lessened. I always felt that if I worked hard, things would happen. I’m hoping things change over this year, the past three passed by so quickly.

• 62. Kelley Burrus  |  June 14th, 2013 at 1:00 pm

It is most definitely just a beginning. You’re off to a beautiful start.

• 63. Samantha Penner  |  June 14th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Very interesting… at 25 now I will remember this when 27 rolls around! In my eyes, you have done so much self discovery/creative ventures/interesting things at such a young age… I think it only gets better and better from here for you.

• 64. Analisa  |  June 14th, 2013 at 1:41 pm

This sounds very much like a conversation I just had with my best friend not too long ago. When I was 27, I was living in NYC having moved there 5 years earlier. I was 1 year into living with a boyfriend and so many things started happening at the same time… I was working so much that I started picking and choosing which friends to spend real quality time with because my time not working became more precious, I started realizing the guy I was with although a wonderful human being, had very different life goals than me and I mentally and emotionally started withdrawing from the relationship (we’re still good friends today though), and I started yearning for a different lifestyle/environment. Two long, but amazing years later – I met someone who rocks my world, moved to LA, and got married (when I was ready). I’m now 32 and I have to say being in your 30’s is fantastic. I know myself so much better and I shed the guilt in my 20’s – AND it all started at 27.

• 65. Kwin Khieng  |  June 14th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

What a great post! I’m in my early 30’s (31 to be exact) and will be welcoming my first baby in September. If you think 27 is strange, try being 31 and doing everything unconventionally . I have always had this PLAN but sometimes life pulls you in different direction and you wonder “WTH”. As you transition from your mid 20’s to late 20’s and early 30’s, you’ll gain some insight as to what makes you happy and what doesn’t. Rest assure that no matter the outcome of that decision, you’ll feel great about it because at this age, there are no more regrets. :)

• 66. alyson  |  June 14th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

i’m in the same place you are and it’s so nice to hear that someone else is going through it too! 27 is a great age and truly a year of discovery. thanks for sharing it with us, it’s much appreciated!

• 67. morgan smith  |  June 14th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Love this post, Bri! Im turning 27 as well this year (November) look forward to describing my feelings and taping into whats going on. I do agree, about friendships and all these different paths. Friends that have 3 kids, and friends that are still hitting the bars every night and yes holding the ones close that make that difference in your life, inspire you! xo

• 68. Victoria  |  June 14th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

My 27th birthday is next week and I already feel these feelings creeping in. Thanks for the head’s up.

• 69. Lindsay  |  June 14th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I just turned 28 last week, but 27 was such a painful year for me. Undoubtedly, it was a year of growth & substantial change – in my career, personal life & even my thought processes. Your early twenties, I feel, are predicated a lot on what other people expect from you. My later twenties have been more freeing for me. I care less what other people expect from me. I am more self-aware, cognizant of both my limitations & my strengths. I’ve always been enormously critical of myself, but now I’m trying to refine that into a more productive experience.

Best of luck. It’s a journey for sure!

• 70. aly  |  June 14th, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I just turned 26 and everyone I talk to keeps saying “oh, 26 was the best!” So I’m pretty excited, although now that I know you’re only 27 I feel very unaccomplished!

• 71. alison love  |  June 14th, 2013 at 2:38 pm

SATURN’S RETURN LADIES! It happens to us all. Its a time of defing and redefingn who we are. There will be test and tribulations to have you Claim yourself and life in one direction or another. Good Luck :)

• 72. Anne  |  June 14th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I am 33 and learned this stuff once i was in my thirties. I can’t remember what my 27th year even brought me. Seems you are learning great lessons at a good age. I think it is different for everyone and life constantly changes anyway. . I wish i knew then what i know now. So typical. Enjoy the ride, it is a precious one! Taking control of ones own life is a beauitful thing. I suspect it just gets better when you keep listening inside and can be honest. So thanks for being honest.

• 73. Ashley  |  June 14th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I saw your photo last night and thought, “25 seems hard enough and now I have to dread 27 too?” Then I remembered that I’m 26, and, oh wait, I’ll be 27 in about 4 months. So I guess, this phase has gotten an early start with me.

I think I hold on to 25, because it’s the last time I truly felt comfortable. Like you, I know that I have changed and I’m pushing the limits in new ways that I never dreamed of before. Maybe that’s why this stage feels so strange. We’re on our way to becoming truly unique individuals.

• 74. Nic  |  June 14th, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Wow, you hit the nail on the head. I was always a little ahead of my times, college at 17, married at 23, and now a mom and at 27. Lately , I’ve been feeling off as well. I wasn’t sure if it was hormones or my life finally slowing down… I’m really glad I read this post today, very serendipitous. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the “inspiration game.” Bring it on Saturn.

• 75. Cate  |  June 14th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Have you read the short story “Eleven” by Sandra Cisneros? The line “those questions make me feel 12 years old actually” reminds me so much of that story. It talks about growing up (in her case, 11, not 27) and how you still feel all those previous years jumbling around inside you. It’s a beautiful story. I used to read it with my 6th grade students, but loved it myself.

I adore how this has so strongly resonated with people. Age is a strange thing. I just turned 33 and kept saying how I like it. How somehow it feels younger than 32. In a good way. I felt like I was running out of time at 32. All my friends were getting married. Or having babies. And then there was me. Friendships shift. They grow roots. Personal growth and reflection become more important than busyness. And you kind of figure out how to do that. For me, I had to leave my job, my friends, my life, and move across the country to figure it all out. But that has opened up a world of possibilities. It’s allowed me to dream a bit bigger. (And to realize that I am probably a California girl at heart).

So, yeah, run with it. Feel it. There is no rule book. Learn from the past; pursue a joyous future.

• 76. Tabitha  |  June 14th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I’ll be turning 27 on Wednesday! And I can already see it will be an interesting year, full of changes. I have a baby on the way, we just bought a house and now living in a new town neither of us have ever lived in (and don’t really know anyone). So it will be a big year of adjustment. Should be interesting to see how it pans out!

• 77. bri  |  June 14th, 2013 at 3:21 pm

it has been the most refreshing thing to read through all of your comments. thank you so very much, everyone! -bri

• 78. kate winsy  |  June 14th, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I turned 27 a little over a month ago and couldn’t agree more. And I’m so glad to read this and all the comments because I seriously thought IT WAS JUST ME! Fewf! I’m definitely feeling a huge shift in pretty much every aspect in life. And not all in bad ways but this is the first birthday where I actually do feel different. When you turn 18 or 25 people ask, ‘so do you feel different?’ And every time I was thinking… um…no. But this time, I actually do. Thanks, as always, for sharing!

• 79. Nicole  |  June 14th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

27 has been an interesting year for me. I am nearing the end and I must say, this is the first time in my adult life that I look forward to getting older. Keep pushing through 27 year olds!

Nicole

• 80. Melissa  |  June 14th, 2013 at 3:47 pm

This is crazy, I never noticed that 27 is a pivotal age. It’s the age where my life changed completely. Bri, you mentioned that people ask you about marriage and home ownership… it’s funny cause that’s the year I got married and owned my first place. That’s when all of a sudden, life got serious, and I became an adult. I’d say that age, kind of set the pace for how my life would turn. Through all this “being an adult” stuff, it have come to the realization that I want nothing more than to live a simple life. I actually have a few close friends, that I love to death. No matter how much time passes, we pick up where we leave off. I feel most comfortable around these people.

I’m 30 now, and when I look back, I realize that 27 is the moment when I grew up, and began to realize that I knew exactly who I wanted to be.

Great post… just always always follow your heart.

• 81. Koseli  |  June 14th, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I turned 27 this week, too! I do feel super brave these days and don’t care much what people think. I’m about to launch a big project that terrifies me and excites me to no end. I’m also expecting my second baby, which feels like, “Oh my gosh. We weren’t just playing around. We think we can have a family.” It feels good but overwhelming, but in a good way. I feel like the possibilities are endless.

• 82. willis.  |  June 14th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

bri: honest, you’re only getting more wonderful!

• 83. Latrina  |  June 14th, 2013 at 5:09 pm

As I am now 28, I can definitely say that year 27 was definitely a unique one. A confusing one but a great and fantastic one. It was full of self-discovering… and now at the age 28, I am using all the things I have learned and experienced at 27, to be the person I want to be. I can tell you that, yes.. 27 is definitely weird BUT it’ll all make sense at 28. ;) Trust me.

I recently wrote about something very similar to this on my blog… (http://blog.oftreesandhues.com/2013/06/resources-for-beginning-bloggers/) about how 27 was a defining year for me and how it forced me to question who I am.

• 84. Kiki Nakita  |  June 14th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Just turned 27 on Memorial weekend. My dad passed away the week before, so celebration it was not so much. I’m engaged, and together we have a home, possibly buying a second one, and we’re spending the year in different states for my fiance’s job {1 year travel contract}. I’m definitely ready to get my wedding planned and to start having a family. BUT the hardest has been socially, everyone’s having babies and I’m still trying to plan a wedding…Happy 27th year y’all :)

• 85. Jade Sheldon  |  June 14th, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Well, I am not quite 27 but you sure can bet that I’m excited for it after reading this! I can already feel it creeping up on me though. I’ve felt a shift in the way I live my life: being ok with who I am and not constantly comparing myself with others.

• 86. Mallory  |  June 14th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

In less than 2 months I’ll be 27. I have gotten married and had a baby. I thought the strange stuff was done! I’m excited to see what new and exciting things arise at 27!

• 87. Camille  |  June 14th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I am turning 28 in a month and I can say that yes, 27 is definitely weird. I feel young but not young enough that I have the time to figure it out. It’s a scary position to be in. I know that when I am older I’ll look back and think that at 27 I still had the chance to be whatever I wanted to be but right now I just feel pressure. I am definitely enjoying this time but stepping up to the plate to not regret my future basically.

Happy birthday btw! To 27 more and more and more. un beso.

• 88. Amanda  |  June 14th, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I’m only 23, but so much of this post resonated with me anyway. (So, thank you!!!) I keep hearing that this is the time of my life when I’m supposed to be exploring, doing what I want, finding myself, blah blah blah. But instead, I feel like I’ve spent the last 23 years doing what I’m supposed to do (like you said about your early 20s). I graduated high school, went to university, graduated with a Bachelor of Arts and went back to university, got a teaching degree, and am now working to pay off my student loans. I’ve tried to make all the “right” decisions, date the “right” people, etc. etc.
    I DID move to Beijing in August to teach and it’s meant that I’ve been able to see a bit more of the world (and start paying off those loans!), but I’m still not sure I want to be teaching, so it still feels like I’m doing this because I’m SUPPOSED to.
    Anyway, all this to say… I’m feeling lost, I have been for at least 2 years now, and I hope I start to find myself as my 20s go on.
    And YOU are a big inspiration!

• 89. malori  |  June 14th, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I’m 22 but I’m feeling all of these things. I think being in your 20’s in general is a tough spot. It’s a lot of questions about work, and relationships, and lifestyle choices (like where you live, how you decorate, what you eat, how often you work out, when you see your family, etc.) that don’t necessarily have answers. I loved reading this. I had a rough week at work and I’m questioning my current path in life. It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in that confusion and strangeness.

• 90. Mommy Dearest  |  June 14th, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I turned 27 one month after I gave birth to you @Bri, so it was one of my most wonderful years!!! : ) Of course I guess it’s also the year I got divorced and moved from a nice home to a small apartment, but I was still more happy than I’d ever been! : )

• 91. Erika  |  June 15th, 2013 at 12:24 am

This is one of my favourite posts you have ever written. And that’s saying a lot, seeing as all of your posts are just well thought out, creative, and lovely. But there’s something about the words here that really moved me. Resonated with me.

So Bri, I just want to say thank you. I think a lot of people needed to read this.

• 92. Anonymous  |  June 15th, 2013 at 5:15 am

You’re in your Saturn year!

• 93. Robin  |  June 15th, 2013 at 5:29 am

I had the same fruition from about 27 to about 30. For me a lot had to do with what I would put up with. I got to 27 and started finally being me. It was as simple as sending cold food back if it should be warm in a restaurant (seems silly) but it was a sense of getting what u want as u approach 30. At 30 I felt even more liberated. Now at 35 it’s happened all over again. I think when you welcome change it finds you. Your road to discovery ends when u no longer walk this earth, its a constant state of growth. My advice is keep going and evolving your blogs and posts are inspiring and I read daily. I am a graphic designer recently gone blogger and its nice to know others out there with the same feelings and this community of bloggers is overwhelmingly inspirational.

• 94. Weekend Wishes | Channeli&hellip  |  June 15th, 2013 at 6:20 am

[...] : the year you’re currently in (This post by Bri was so beautifully written. I admire her so much, and it just got me thinking about how each [...]

• 95. caroline [the diy nurse]  |  June 15th, 2013 at 6:54 am

I’m 26 and feel like I’m on the verge of something big. I had gone to college for a “safe career” instead of my dream because others told me to. I bought a house [and racked up some significant debt].

I’m starting traveling nursing to pay off my debt, selling my house, and eventually moving out of the country. There’s something amazing about just saying that. My ear muffs are on for the naysayers I know will come!

• 96. 'Becca'lise  |  June 15th, 2013 at 8:04 am

I just turned 27 on May 27th (my golden year!)…even though I started out the year with a bunch of health problems and some strained relationships, my relationship with my husband is wonderful and I feel some big adventures in store for us this year…!

• 97. Rachel  |  June 15th, 2013 at 11:22 am

It’s crazy to me that you’re only 27! You seem so much older than that (not looks-wise, just…accomplishment-wise, I guess)! I know it’s always hard to see the “real life” aspect of someone through their blog, because blogs can only really provide brief snapshots into someone’s life, but let me tell you, from this side it seems like you’ve got it way more figured out than many 27-year-olds that I know. I’m 26, and I feel like I am light years behind where you’re at right now. It’s nice to know that such an inspirational and creative person has these kinds of thoughts and sometimes struggles as well. It’s not just me! Here’s to hoping that my 27th year will be one of pushing forward and maximizing my creativity =] Loved this post.

• 98. DeJongs In DC&hellip  |  June 15th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Things I Actually Like…

Things I Actually Like…

• 99. Ada  |  June 15th, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I am 26 and I am feeling exactly how you feel. I spent so much time trying to be friends with people who didn’t really seem to care as much as I did. I gave up and realized that it is OK to have a handful of close friends and more social people. I just can’t be bothered trying to be everything for everybody anymore. I want good people and good moments in my life. I really enjoyed reading this post!

• 100. Vanessa  |  June 15th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

27 for me was SUCH a year of change. I’m 28 now, 29 in a few months – and my life has changed so much from what I thought it would be just a few short years ago. I was in grad school when I turned 27, three-quarters of the way to a PhD. 27 was the year that I realized that I didn’t want to get my doctorate, that I didn’t want to be in that field at ALL, and that you only get one life to live – so I better start living it the way I want. 27 was when I realized that I needed to live the life I wanted and not the life everyone else expected. It was a pretty dang pivotal year, haha. And 28 has been all the better for it.

Beautiful post, Bri. I’ve never commented before, although I’m a faithful reader – but this post just resonated with me. 27 is a funny year but it’s pretty great too.

• 101. Sarolta  |  June 15th, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Love this post! I didn’t even want to celebrate my 27th birthday. Nothing felt yet right at that age. I have no explanation for it but I did not feel like I was myself yet. Like I had been born just yesterday. Big changes happened from that on and now that I am 30 I feel like I have come a lot closer to who I am and who I could be. Didn’t like the process but love the outcome!

• 102. viv  |  June 15th, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I’m 28, 7 months pregnant with my first child, married five years this past May, and we just bought a house three months ago. I can’t help feel weird fitting into this certain “status quo” or specific life season when my personality is too type B to ever want to fit into any social mold. Tangent: My hubby is trying to get me to go to bed, saw the site I was on and said “I’m about to have a design sleep fest.” He’s the best, really. Back to the convo, I think it’s a wonderful thing to reconcile all the notions you had about adulthood, and what you actually want your adult life to look like. My hubby and I subscribe to the idea that every year of our life is better than the last. It sounds like are you perfectly where you should be, and I appreciate this post so much because I DEFINITELY had that friend with effortless style and beauty recognized by all, and I think in many ways people view you and your blog like that as well. I mean seriously, who gets photos taken regularly by Max Wanger and their place dressed up by Emily Henderson? Regardless, we are all thankful for this post! Please, get deep on us every once in a while (or as often as you feel necessary). Cheers Bri to 27 and a better year than the previous!

• 103. Katy  |  June 16th, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m 27 now and I agree it feels super weird. I will be 28 in October and I can’t wait, it feels like an age I know what to do with :-) Not sure why but 27 feels so in between stages of life, trying to make the most of it! Starting to get baby shower invites and the weddings are just non stop! A part of me feels like I should be so much more ‘grown up’ by now but still want to live up my 20s while I still can :-) Gonna do it all and forget about the number, that’s my gameplan!

• 104. Teri Yeung  |  June 16th, 2013 at 11:13 am

It seems like everything BIG is happening at 27. It’s hard but it’s really exciting and terrifying at the same time but I love it. It has so much potential and I definitely feel like it’s our responsibility to push ourselves further than we think we can. “Whether you think that you can or think that you can’t – you’re right.” -Henry Ford

Reading this book “The Defining Decade” by 20s psychologist, Meg Jay after hearing her TED talk. Obsessed.

• 105. Kim Boswell  |  June 16th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I now read both the “for your 20’s” and “for your 30’s” articles in magazines.

• 106. Janelle  |  June 16th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I find this so interesting! Especially the five pivotal people thing, I love that. I’ve been on a big “self-discovery kick” (for lack of a better term) for a while now, but haven’t felt as intensely about it as I have the past 6 months or so. I’m turning 27 at the end of the year, and feel like I’m heading to the exact place where you are, based on how I’m feeling right now. It’s almost like I’m taking myself and my thoughts and desires for myself and my life more seriously and am actually listening, when before I just sort of let all of that go without exploring it.

Also, I just watched this TED talk and thought you might find it interesting! http://www.ted.com/talks/meg_jay_why_30_is_not_the_new_20.html

• 107. thalea  |  June 16th, 2013 at 9:20 pm

wow, I just happened across your blog for the first time and this post captures everything I’m feeling and struggling with right now…pretty cool how the universe does little things like that.
    I’m 25 (and a half…) and can relate to a lot of what you say, especially life questions/expectations and friend dilemmas.
    It’s also interesting what people are saying in the comments…
    anyway, thanks for sharing!
    thalea X

• 108. It's the lady of the&hellip  |  June 17th, 2013 at 4:18 am

[...] Happy Birthday Starburst, 27 is weird. [...]

• 109. Cheryl  |  June 17th, 2013 at 8:12 am

It overflows into 28 and I feel like it will never pass. Maybe I’m ok with that.

• 110. jess lonett  |  June 17th, 2013 at 8:22 am

i’m turning 27 in september and years 24-26 have been an emotional roller coaster so, i was hoping that 27 was going to mellow a bit. I GUESS NOT! haha. i’m just embracing that all of the years of my 20s are an unpredictable hott mess!

• 111. Maureen @sheismoments  |  June 17th, 2013 at 8:46 am

I’m in my last few months of 27 and feel like this year has been such an exploration of myself. It’s been a year of change. It’s still changing. I’m able to let go of rules and expectations I had for myself and just jump. I hope I land on my feet!

• 112. Niki  |  June 17th, 2013 at 9:02 am

You definitely captured this wonderful age we’re going through. Cheers to being 27! :)

• 113. MUCICA  |  June 17th, 2013 at 9:09 am

i DO NOT even know do you read all the comments now…
    and I only written a couple of ones(Internet scares me a bit, sometimes)back in the days when you had only dozen comments on posts.
    The thing that I want to say is….I think you will be ok.
    In 27, and after it.
    You have the strangest positive vibe that I ever felt in an unknown person. on internet.
    Put a smile on that lovely face, Bri.
    Hugs from Croatia

• 114. bri  |  June 17th, 2013 at 9:25 am

oh yes, i read them all! thank you so much everyone for your kind advice and interesting stories. xo bri

• 115. amy  |  June 17th, 2013 at 10:44 am

By myself, with no job or money, I moved from Seattle to California when I was 27. It was definitely the most pivotal and best decision I’ve made for myself in my life thus far. Two years later I’m entering my 30’s and feeling more creative and adventurous than ever. My lucky number is 3 and I’m a firm believer that third is the best decade for a woman today. The one piece of advice that I get from those older than me is to slow down and enjoy every minute of being 30. I don’t feel rushed to marry, buy a house, have kids, etc. I’m enjoying myself, my friends & everything this city has to offer. All will come when the time is right and I FEEL it. :)

• 116. Sabrina  |  June 17th, 2013 at 11:06 am

I am currently 26 and I’m slowly transitioning from my 9-5 to freelance design. I’ve named my company Modern Press 27. One, because I will be 27 by the time I get it off the ground and two, I feel as though 27 will be the age for me when everything makes sense. I’m already starting to see some of the changes you mentioned in your post. I will be making a huge leap so here’s to hoping 27 is a good year. :)

xo
    Sabrina

• 117. erin @WELLinLA  |  June 17th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

You perfectly captured the “20’s” – the emotions, relationships, career. xo to you as you find you way (and really aren’t we all ‘finding our way’ no matter the age?).

• 118. Julia  |  June 17th, 2013 at 12:34 pm

As an early 20 something.. this post meant a lot to me. It’s like I forget that I still have time to grow. I’m not going to find all my best friends, my soulmate, my perfect life NOW. And maybe I won’t even find it until I’m 47 or something. But it doesn’t matter. This reminded me that I have plenty of time to breathe. Thanks so much.

• 119. Brittany  |  June 17th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I hear ya… I’m 27 (almost 28) and this year has been a doozy. My issues mostly stem from being in a job I hate and not being anywhere near where I wanted to be at this age, professionally or personally. I just thought I’d be further along then I am at 27 and it kind of bums me out.

• 120. donna  |  June 17th, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Yes, 27 and then again at 37. I’d give a lot to me 27 again.

• 121. Nicole  |  June 17th, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I was 27 all last year and it was the weirdest of them all. I went through a break up of a six year relationship and went through a crazy quarter-life crisis because I had allowed someone else to define my 20’s. 27 was the year I met myself for maybe the first time.

• 122. kristi  |  June 17th, 2013 at 5:06 pm

27 was my favorite year! I also went into it with 27 being my favorite number, so there may be some correlation there. I feel like I really lived and rediscovered myself and what I want. The hard thing is trying to make “what you want” a reality when you’re on a budget, can’t control who falls in love with you, your friends busy schedules, your own busy schedule…I’ve spent a lot of 28 trying to figure out how to make all of those things make sense and work in a way that makes me happy, definitely still a work in progress…however, for some reason I threw caution to the wind and just had a BLAST in 27! :)

• 123. Natalie  |  June 17th, 2013 at 6:12 pm

It only gets weirder! :) I really agree with those who say 27/28/29 are “the lost years” or “the hardest years” or “the weirdest years.” I’m 29 now, but I can honestly say that these last few years have been difficult for me personally because I no longer feel like a kid…but I’m not quite an adult yet, either. I thought I had everything figured out in my mid-twenties, but over the last few years I’ve totally changed my mind. I guess everyone is always growing, and maybe we never really have it all figured out! And, these years are definitely odd concerning friendships. My friends and I are all moving in different directions…no one is really on the same one “path” anymore. Some are getting married, others are single, others are having babies. You make new friends and keep the old that are more aligned with your stage of life, interests, motivations, goals, etc. And, time goes by so much faster than it did when we were younger! It’s a strange time for sure, and I’ve had my share of bumps along the way…but I’ve had lots of great times, too. Thanks for putting a strange feeling into words…it’s one of those things that obviously so many of us feel, but it’s a tricky one to write about. xo

• 124. Debra Matlock  |  June 17th, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Well, 27 has that Edie Sedgwick/Jim Morrison/Jimi Hendrix/Janis Joplin cloud over it, right? But it probably boils down to deciding (or not) to soldier on towards 30, and real adulthood. But I have to say while being 27 was ok, I’m 43 now and you would think it would suck to get old and start to lose one’s looks etc. but it’s liberating. You spend your 20s pretending to not give a sh!t and by your 40s you honestly don’t. Definitely enjoy now, but know that it gets better in different ways later.

• 125. mich  |  June 17th, 2013 at 7:54 pm

love this post so much! do your thing, girl!

• 126. Lea Terwort  |  June 18th, 2013 at 2:43 am

I’m 26. Turning 27 in November. But I got the 27ish mood already going on. I work also in graphic design, 9 to 5. I kind of like the design stuff, but that’s not the thing I want to do my whole life and i hate the 9 to 5 thing. I know I have to change my carreer path this year and I hope to get this done (or at least decide what I will do) before I turn 27. I already changed my lifestyle a bit, overthink a lot of things these days and other things get easier and I can see them more clearly.

Thanks for this post! I felt so weird these past few months, but couldn’t put it into words or explain it to friends. Now I can say: “Naaahhh, I’m fine, it’s only a mild case of the 27ties.”

• 127. What’s My Age Again&hellip  |  June 18th, 2013 at 4:51 am

[...] I stumbled upon this blog post and it struck many chords with me: So 27 is Weird… [...]

• 128. April  |  June 18th, 2013 at 9:31 am

It is definitely just the beginning! I will be turning 32 in 1 month and I am finally starting to feel like “this is exactly where I should be”. Ages 27-31 felt a bit confusing. People starting asking me the same questions regarding marriage and a house around age 27…I’m still not ready for those things and I just continue to confidently live life at my own pace. Leaving you with a couple of quotes I love: “Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday” and “What you radiate outward in your thoughts, feelings, mental pictures and words, you attract into you life.”Catherine Ponder, Dynamic Law of Prosperity

• 129. Alexandra Pettinato  |  June 18th, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I’m not 27 yet, but I will let you know when I get there!

Alex from http://www.polkadottedpixels.com

• 130. My Favorites This Week | &hellip  |  June 18th, 2013 at 8:55 pm

[...] So 27 Is Weird… by DesignLoveFest. Y’all. This is so true. I’m this lovely age right now and can so [...]

• 131. Jessi  |  June 19th, 2013 at 8:02 am

I just turned 28 and I will say 27 was one of the best years of my life. When I explain why, you might think that doesn’t sound so great, but I think it was so great because I realized how much I’d grown up. I let go of a lot of friendships because they just weren’t making me happy. There was no dramatic endings, I just let them fade and it was okay. I realized how happy I was to not be 23 and 24 and 25 anymore. I have some friends from a previous job who would talk to me about their lives and relationships and I would think to myself: I remember being in that place in my life and how grateful I am to not be there anymore. I stopped going out all the time simply because of “fomo” and the pressure to be included. I stopped worrying about meeting the right guy because it will happen in its own time. I changed jobs because I realized I was talented and worth more and it was time to move on because I wasn’t learning anything new. If I wanted my career to grow I needed to make the effort to feed myself with new experiences and opportunities and recognize when I was ready to move to the next step. I started focusing so much more on myself and being the happiest I can be. 27 was a good age and everything you’re feeling is so much of what I felt too. It’s good to hear someone say it out loud

• 132. Link Love: 6.20.13 | Nubb&hellip  |  June 20th, 2013 at 7:07 am

[...] is a weird age. I remember it [...]

• 133. Laurenza  |  June 20th, 2013 at 7:21 am

I raced through youth into adulthood, graduating early and marrying young. I’m 27 and have two kids and a house. I finally feel settled and content. This is the beginning of the rest of my life. Now more rushing to get here. I’ve arrived!

• 134. Desiree Fawn  |  June 20th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I just turned 27 in April… so far, so good ;) I’ll let ya know!

• 135. Ana  |  June 21st, 2013 at 1:43 am

I’m 26 (still :D ), but yes, it has been like that for me and yes, it does feel like just the beginning of a journey.

The thing with weeding out the things/people who take away from your energy – it has come to me a while back, and I’m very happy with the results.

5 influential people?
    Maybe even more than that :) .

• 136. Katrina  |  June 22nd, 2013 at 10:24 am

This is all SO true! 27 for me was right in the thick of fine tuning who I wanted to be. A co-worker got me into to goal setting around that time which really helped me have focus. Now, coming up to 29 shortly, I feel like I know where I’m going and I’m very happy with who I am! :)

• 137. Janelle @ Two Cups of Happy  |  June 23rd, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Yes to all of this – especially the friends part. It’s tough… But we can make it work. I found that reaching out & getting involved in PD or night classes really helps though.

• 138. Lindsey  |  June 24th, 2013 at 9:04 am

I’m not sure if anyone’s said this already because I can’t get through all the comments in detail, but there is a fascinating scientific reason that 27 is a ground breaking year. And I felt it too when I was there (I’m now 33). I’ve studied child psychology and our brains don’t finish developing until we are 26. From 18-26 is the final development stage. So 27 really is a new time. It’s 2 fold- you are much more stable and less erratic, but it makes new things a little harder to stick/learn. But all in all your brain has now finished all it’s growing and is ready to be what it wants to be! Pretty cool.

• 139. stephanie  |  June 24th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I read this post when it went up (Happy belated b-day!), but, after reading Naomi’s post today, the different perspectives really hit me. Funny how different of a place two people can be at the same personal milestone, but neither one is wrong.

• 140. Second Floor Flat  |  June 24th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

So late to the party on this one, but it’s definitely a weird age. I’m 27 as well and feel such a whirl of things at once at any given time. Thanks for posting about it – nice to hear sometimes that you’re not insane! :)

• 141. Yellowbydesign  |  June 25th, 2013 at 10:14 am

I just came across this post and thank you. I’m 28 and still feel the same way and I can honestly say it started at 27. It’s a magical time and I feel I’m becoming who I truly are meant to be. I also agree with the friend part, now I hold only a hand full of great amazing friends that inspire and share the same life outlook.

• 142. Eloise Claire  |  June 26th, 2013 at 1:20 am

You are so right! It really is a strange age! 27 was the age of my quarter life crisis. I’m now 28 and can say I’m happy with the changes I made, but I quit my profession and went back to uni full time to completely change careers. I hope you grow in a positive way too, sounds like you already have!

• 143. On Turning 28 | Running, &hellip  |  June 27th, 2013 at 8:18 am

[...] my favorite.  I simply love everything about it.  Most recently, I was happy to read about Bri’s take on being 27.  Her post on Instagram spurred a discussion about being [...]

• 144. Anon  |  July 1st, 2013 at 7:55 am

I have literally just written something like this to be posted on Weds on my blog. I am 32 and feeling all of this now. In my post I was kind of saying ‘is this normal?’ but I am somewhat relieved to see it is. What a lovely post. Thanks xx

• 145. Erin  |  July 2nd, 2013 at 9:40 am

YES! The later 20’s seem to be an age of self-discovery…My situation is exactly opposite of yours actually, but it’s funny how familiar your feelings are…I had to laugh a little about you feeling “12 years old” when people ask you about marriage and home buying. You see, I’ve been married since 21, had my first child at 22, and bought our first house at 23…however, it took me 10 years to finish my degree and I’m just now trying to figure out what career path I want to pursue (I thought I was going to be an architect, living in a NY loft, wearing pencil skirts to work…when in reality I now homeschool my 2 boys in CA not far from where I grew up and barely make it out of my pajamas everyday). So, when someone asks me, “What do you do?” or “Where do you work?” I immediately feel 12 years old also. The fact is, being an “adult” (whatever that is), is not about whether you’re married…whether you own a house…where you work…or what job you have. NO ONE can do it all (or at least not very well)…it’s all about what your priorities are at certain times in your life…You WILL have it all, it just won’t come all at once :) (This is my mantra to myself when I start wigging out about being old and not having a successful career.) And, regarding friendships…I’ve recently come to the conclusion that we, for the most part, choose relationships that support the place we want to be in life…the ones that don’t support it become difficult to maintain. This realization has helped me let go of some of my negative relationships, while also forgiving those who have let me go.
    Anyways, thanks for the post! I know this was lengthy, but it really hit home. xoxo

• 146. [FEATURE] CHASE NOTHING B&hellip  |  July 3rd, 2013 at 6:08 pm

[...] work her style into something people want for themselves. She recently wrote a blog post about being age 27 – and I can’t wait to see where I am a year from now, but until then, I’ve got a [...]

• 147. heather  |  July 8th, 2013 at 11:45 am

Have you seen Frances Ha yet?

• 148. A SCARY STORY… | D &hellip  |  August 2nd, 2013 at 6:47 am

[...] i would share a personal story today. it’s been so uplifting to read all of your comments on my age post, the engagement really makes it a lot easier to open up about personal struggles and my daily life. [...]

• 149. Tara H  |  August 5th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I just found your blog in searching for something about this. I just hit 27 at the end of June, and this is completely true for me as well. Everyone tends to pick 25 as the “Quarter life crisis” point, but it really is a process over several years. I think mine started not long before I turned 26, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it continues into at least 28. I’ve found this to be a very strange thing to experience, because for the longest time I spent time with people who were at least 10 years older, who would tell me how different they felt between 18-20, 21-25, etc. I really didn’t “feel” any different at 25 than I did at 18, but now the 24-25 range feels like such a long time ago (even though it really wasn’t). This is in some ways a very frustrating and uncertain time, but at the same point it’s very fascinating to see how we develop and change in these years. I hope that in two years when we’ve hopefully made it through this period that you’ll be able to write another article and show other readers that eventually it will settle.

• 150. Not Just a JD&hellip  |  August 5th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

[...] written about my quarter life crisis experience before, but reading http://www.designlovefest.com/2013/06/so-27-is-weird/#comment-71404, I’ve come to think that this is something we aren’t really prepared to experience, and [...]

• 151. make money from home&hellip  |  August 5th, 2013 at 8:40 pm

make money from home…

Gin | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T…

• 152. __  |  December 9th, 2013 at 6:18 am

Hi there! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great information you have got here on this post.
    I will likely be coming back to your blog for extra soon.

• 153. ____  |  December 17th, 2013 at 8:56 am

I like to disseminate knowledge that I’ve accrued
    with the year to help improve group performance.

• 154. Jaqueline+Freidberg  |  December 24th, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Our outlook in how we conduct our actions frequently changes how we see things. Sometimes good and sometimes bad but it is our outlook that influences over what we see.

• 155. britt  |  January 4th, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I fee so lost and emotional lol but also excited because I know so much and experienced so much that I feel like time has past me by. I turn 27 tomorrow I still feel like a teenager.

• 156. Anonymous  |  August 18th, 2014 at 7:07 am

Gosh, being 27 for me is rough…… it is August and i have not enjoyed much of this year. the past months were filled with a lot if turmoil and truly speaking i dont think i like this stage of my life. dreams not coming true………. i guess i have to wait for the next remaining months to see, but i am hopeful though……. Here is being 27!!!!!

• 157. Hana A. Molder  |  September 30th, 2014 at 9:16 am

Excellent web site you have got here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality
    writing like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate people like you!
    Take care!!

• 158. Staci J. Swinney  |  October 1st, 2014 at 1:48 pm

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.
    I hope to contribute & help other customers like its helped me.
    Great job.

• 159. Cristine W. Jenkin  |  October 8th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Hello, its nice piece of writing on the topic of media print, we
    all be familiar with media is a great source of facts.

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg