06.03.13

FLOWER BOMB / 01

kristen and i were talking a while back about feeling so grateful for our friends. i know for me, i am far away from my family members who live in the midwest, so my friends here in california have definitely become like family to me. we were dreaming up ways that we could show our gratitude to our friends and thought of this idea of a “flower bomb”…surprising someone with flowers in unexpected places. my first thought was, “what if we filled an entire front seat with flowers?!”

and the idea evolved from there…thanks for the beautiful photos jesse!

how do you surprise someone you really love? maybe a friend that just got her heart broken, or a friend that just accepted a new job? or how about a friend that’s always been there for you and you just want to say thank you on a random day? when i saw kristen driving down the street with a car full of flowers, i was filled with happiness and they weren’t even for me! people were staring and stopping her along the road to take photos. it’s such a high impact!

let’s hear how kristen made this happen…

“Basically I knew I needed a TON of flowers! Certain flowers I used for their sturdy nature/ability to withstand the LA summer heat! (stock, larkspur, daisies, aster) While other flowers, like the coral peonies, hot pink anemone, and dahlias, I incorporated because of their bright summer blooms.

I use seasonal blooms whenever I can and so those big beautiful coral peonies were my first choice! Too pretty not to use!”

how to create this yourself…

• I first placed one tightly lined wooden garden box on the passenger seat and another on the floor. You want to make sure the vessel you choose is watertight! No leaks. And is big enough to hold a lot of blooms.

• I then filled the boxes with water soaked oasis (green floral foam).

• Now i had to think about shape. I didn’t want it to look too much like a typical floral arrangement so I gave it a full and wild shape that accented the curves of the car’s interior. I think it also helped to have the second box on the floor of the car. That way I could get a couple different heights.

• Starting from the back and moving to the floor I started filling the boxes with blooms. I was keeping the stems as tall as I could so you could see the flowers through the windows.

• I even water tubed some blooms a placed them on the dash!

“This project was so much fun. I really love being able to create outside the box. Its not everyday I fill a car with fresh summer flowers. This was truly special.” -kristen

florals by: moon canyon design co. - see more floral posts here!
photography:
 jesse chamberlin
art direction: bri emery
& thanks for modeling sheila! (you can get her shoes here)

(This summer inspiration is brought to you by Target. Find more fun and surprises all season long on Target’s #SummerUp Pinterest board.)

• 1. In a Trendy Town  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 4:29 am

So beautiful pictures! Love this post!

Regards from inatrendytown.blogspot.com

• 2. Kelsey McEvoy  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 4:40 am

Gorgeous photos and amazing idea! This would be SO cool to find waiting for you! I might be concerned that my friends have developed lock-picking skills, but all the gorgeous flowers and reason for an impromptu photo sesh would help look past their criminal ways ;)

• 3. Kate  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 5:41 am

What an adorable idea. I could use a car full of blooms today!

Kate

• 4. Vickie  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 5:52 am

such gorgeous flowers!

• 5. Sarah  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 6:06 am

This is so beautiful, and such an unexpected idea! I love the idea of the flowers in the front seat being there for you the whole time you drive––how fragrant and fun! Lovely!

• 6. Tori  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:17 am

What a beautiful gift to someone! I bet her car smelled amazing! Love from http://myomlife.wordpress.com/

• 7. Mindy@FindingSilverLinings  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:20 am

I am forwarding this to my husband with a reminder that my birthday is coming ;)

• 8. alicia  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:30 am

Most beautiful surprise ever! This is great!

• 9. Alexandra Pettinato  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:34 am

Such a fun idea! What a lovely surprise for your friend. I’m sure she felt incredibly loved + appreciated :) And it looks pretty too!

Alex from http://www.polkadottedpixels.com

• 10. jensen  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:44 am

Oh! My friends and I used to do this to each other in highschool … but with packing peanuts. Flowers would definitely be much more enjoyable these days!

• 11. Chelsea  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:50 am

This is such an amazing idea Bri. I would love to walk out to my car and find a big bunch of peonies, let alone a whole front seat full! The photos are beautiful and you’re really capturing Summer perfectly with these Target posts.

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

• 12. Victoria | Oh So Pretty  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 9:04 am

This is the most amazing, beautiful thing! So sweet! The photos are absolutely gorgeous too!

• 13. Mere  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 9:07 am

Best. Present. Ever.

Genius.

• 14. Sarah  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 9:18 am

This is unbelievably amazing:)) One of my favorite posts of ALL TIME..it made me happy just looking through the photos…
    Xo
    Sarah
    Attic Lace

• 15. STEL STYLE  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 9:27 am

this idea is so cool!!! it’s so sweet!!!

• 16. Christine  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 9:52 am

I love this idea! My question is, where does Kristen shop for her flowers? They are gorgeous! I live in LA as well.

My friends and I have bombed each other with different things. Paper hearts taped all over the front patio, so you see its seen when they eave for the morning, or filling their rooms with taped and hung (in every possible direction) colorful paper streamers that they find when they arrive home.

• 17. Alex  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 10:19 am

Totally girl crushing on you.

• 18. Anni  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 10:24 am

What a fun idea – love love love this.

• 19. Tori  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 10:48 am

This idea is so amazing! I love this so much. These pictures make my heart happy!

• 20. Tiffany @ The Triple Crème  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 12:46 pm

What an incredible idea! This is such a sweet way of showing someone you care!

• 21. Tessa @ A Lavender Sea  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 12:48 pm

That was absolutely adorable! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a happier post! Things like that mean so much coming from friends! I honestly want to do this so much now!

• 22. Kim-Tram  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 1:05 pm

This is such an amazingly awesome idea!
    Not only is this good for cheering up a friend but it’s also an amazing gift for anybody. Particularly someone who’s female! It’s like taking a cute scene from a movie and turning it until reality. Although it does seem a bit too good to be true ’cause it’s such a hassle to do. But that’s not impossible of a task at least.

kim-tram.tumblr.com

• 23. Katy  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Is this a mercedes 250?

• 24. Bettina  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Such a fun idea! I love the color of the blooms in this pic!

• 25. Natalie / Half Asleep Studio  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I want to do this to myself! And then somehow forget that I did it, lol. :)

• 26. Ladynoble  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 4:21 pm

give me that car!

• 27. Sam  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 5:40 pm

What an awesome idea!! I love this! I would be over the moon if I received this as a gift.

• 28. FEATURE | MOXIEGUMPTION&hellip  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 7:51 pm

[…] shared. I personally found this utterly romantic, (almost as lovely as DESIGNLOVEFEST’S FLOWER BOMB – #iDie) though much of the internet seems to find it utterly ridiculous <— eff […]

• 29. Jade Sheldon  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I want to drive around with a front seat full of flowers all the time!

• 30. Milly  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Wow. This just blew me away. It’s such a beautiful idea and definitely extraordinary to present to a loved one. I love it.

• 31. stacy Bauer  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Seriously where do your brilliant ideas come from?! I would totally just die from happiness if I received this!

• 32. Latrina  |  June 3rd, 2013 at 11:14 pm

What a fun (and sweet!) idea! And extremely beautiful photos too. :)

• 33. Sally  |  June 4th, 2013 at 1:17 am

It can go the other way too! One time my friend had her car filled with dead fish! It was retaliation for some tagging she had done. She happened to be gone for a few days so the smell got really bad and when she finally tried to get in her car to go to work…well, a Monday morning full of dry heaves is no way to start your week. She had to pull over a few times to throw up. I think the flower idea is better. Of course there is always the old fill your friend’s house with dyed blue baby chihuahuas! xo!

• 34. Alex  |  June 4th, 2013 at 9:36 am

Am I the only one around here who thinks this is the ultimate worst usage of legal tender?

Please show us how much this costs. Because I can guarantee not even 5% of your readers could actually afford to pull this stunt.

• 35. bri  |  June 4th, 2013 at 11:02 am

alex, you could always scale back and fill just the dashboard or the glove compartment. it’s an idea that anyone can take and run with. this is a place for ideas, our aim is to inspire. there are a ton of fun ways this could be applied for all budget levels.

• 36. Alex  |  June 4th, 2013 at 11:20 am

I appreciate the idea Bri, but it is coming off a bit “goop-y” aka pretentious.

Only my opinion. I still love your blog. This one post though just seems frivolous and expensive for the sake of it.

x

• 37. caseable  |  June 5th, 2013 at 11:33 am

Amazing photos! I can’t handle how much I love the colors.

• 38. Jess  |  June 5th, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Hmmm. I think some shots from the eighborhood on an instant camera would be so great on this bank wall that I’m staring at… Red hook fishing village pics

• 39. Things I Love Thursdays /&hellip  |  June 6th, 2013 at 7:01 am

[…] flower bomb idea makes me wish I had a […]

• 40. Weekly Rewind | Fossil Bl&hellip  |  June 7th, 2013 at 8:34 am

[…] love the subjects and techniques of Joni Sternbach’s  ”Surfland” project. 6. A car full of blooms seems to capture the spirit of summer! 7. Raspberry chocolate fudge pops. We need to come up with […]

• 41. Addie  |  June 7th, 2013 at 9:58 am

This is awesome, but just curious… how much did this cost?

• 42. Friday Favorites&hellip  |  June 7th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

[…] Pretty: Flower bomb! When I was in high school a girlfriend and I covered a friend’s car in post-it-notes (we […]

• 43. Flower Bomb | Yow Yow!&hellip  |  June 9th, 2013 at 8:01 pm

[…] photo cred | designlovefest […]

• 44. Love List: Color Bomb | L&hellip  |  June 10th, 2013 at 6:07 am

[…] Flower bomb! aka surprising someone with flowers in unexpected places, like the front seat of their car. So lovely // designlovefest […]

• 45. rowery merida  |  June 10th, 2013 at 7:18 am

Hi! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with
    us so I came to take a look. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m book-marking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and
    amazing style and design.

• 46. danielle  |  June 10th, 2013 at 11:00 pm

so gorgeous! love this! did you shop at a flower mart to get a better deal? i’d imagine this would be pricey, especially with beauties like peonies. i saw that you had mentioned scaling back and maybe doing a bomb in the glovebox. etc. what water-tight vessel could we use in a glovebox? thanks in advance for your reply!

• 47. Dale  |  June 11th, 2013 at 10:55 pm

SO want to try this sometime.

• 48. Links of the Week | Six T&hellip  |  June 12th, 2013 at 1:08 pm

[…] Designlovefest’s flower bomb makes me wish I had a […]

• 49. Soyoung  |  June 12th, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Amazing… all of the flowers are gorgeous, but those coral peonies are beyond spectacular!

• 50. Obsessions+Confessions | &hellip  |  June 14th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

[…] can’t stop staring at this “flower bomb” and am going to try and execute asap. Just need to find a (deserving) friend with a […]

• 51. Inspiration Images | Digi&hellip  |  June 16th, 2013 at 5:58 am

[…] Reference: http://www.designlovefest.com/2013/06/flower-bomb-01/ […]

• 52. healthy tummy  |  June 17th, 2013 at 7:06 am

Howdy would you mind letting me know which
    hosting company you’re using? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.

Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a fair price?
    Kudos, I appreciate it!

• 53. Birmingham Florist  |  June 28th, 2013 at 1:13 am

I cannot stop staring at this flower bomb – it is so beautiful and such an amazing use of colour. The peonies just bring out the arrangement so well.

• 54. No Excuses: 50 Ways You C&hellip  |  July 10th, 2013 at 11:03 am

[…] Read more… […]

• 55. RESOURCE LISTS! | D E S I&hellip  |  August 1st, 2013 at 10:12 am

[…] me, the posts that i have been most excited about where when i collaborated with other creatives! (this flower bomb, a backyard party, benefit beauty posts, my living room, style shoots, blogshop events) all of […]

• 56. Flowerona Links: With a f&hellip  |  August 3rd, 2013 at 4:02 pm

[…] A stunning flower-filled car! […]

• 57. beautyanhomedecor  |  August 8th, 2013 at 7:44 am

I ran across your blog while looking for information on the fragrance “Flowerbomb” by Viktor & Rolf. Well this photo above gives a whole new meaning to flowerbomb! Absolutely gorgeous! Who wouldn’t want to receive such a gift? Wow.

• 58. solicitor in birmingham  |  September 3rd, 2013 at 5:18 am

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff prior to and you’re just too
    great. I actually like what you’ve bought here, really like what you’re stating and the best way through which you say it.
    You are making it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep it wise.
    I can not wait to read much more from you. That is actually a tremendous site.

Here is my page … solicitor in birmingham

• 59. affordable used cars in Houston  |  October 9th, 2013 at 11:08 pm

lovely car design with flowers.

• 60. please click the followin&hellip  |  January 15th, 2014 at 11:15 pm

please click the following article

Wedding | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

mary kay

Wedding | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 66. best Mlm companies&hellip  |  January 19th, 2014 at 12:49 pm

best Mlm companies

Wedding | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 67. free followers without follow back  |  January 24th, 2014 at 5:15 pm

hi!,I like your writing very much! percentage we keep in touch extra
    approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert in this space to resolve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to see you.

My page; free followers without follow back

• 68. usana&hellip  |  January 26th, 2014 at 9:27 pm

usana

Wedding | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 69. how to start a business&hellip  |  February 4th, 2014 at 4:59 am

how to start a business

Wedding | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 70. mary kay in touch&hellip  |  February 5th, 2014 at 3:11 am

mary kay in touch

Wedding | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 71. windows 8 product key&hellip  |  February 11th, 2014 at 12:29 am

windows 8 product key

Wedding | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 72. Christy  |  February 23rd, 2014 at 6:57 pm

okay. so like, totally 100% L.O.V.E this.

• 73. Genesis WordPress Theme  |  June 11th, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Dߋ ƴou ɦave ɑ pam ƿroblem ߋn tɦіs site; Ӏ also ɑm a blogger,
    аnd Ι աɑs curious about ʏοur situation; աе ɦave created some
    nice methods aand աe arе looking to trade methods ѡith
    οther folks, ρlease shoot me an е-mail if
    іnterested.