05.02.13

STYLE / 92

i had been curious about this magical place for a while now…so when heather suggested we get in the car and drive a few hours to go see it i jumped at the chance. i knew i would regret it if i didn’t go. (do you recognize it from the movie into the wild?)

Q51A8030_web

salvation mountain is about an hour from palm springs in the middle of the desert. you are driving along an empty road and then you see a colorful painted mountain in the distance. it feels like a dream, really. the mountain is made from adobe, straw and thousands of gallons of paint.

Q51A7889_web
Q51A7884_web

leonard is the guy who created this piece of art…he’s in his 80’s now. one of his friends still lives there and told me that leonard lived in the desert at the bottom of the mountain for over 20 years (he now lives in a home and has been diagnosed with dementia) and people would bring him paint when they came to visit.

salvationmountain-bri2

the theme of the art is clearly religious…there’s bible phrases painted all over it!

Q51A8018_web

shop this look: joie layana shorts, beach riot floral swimsuit, similar polkadot head scarf from modcloth, similar dropped armhole tank from free people.

f239aee4a25011e280ba22000a9f1893_7

it is no doubt one of those days i will never forget. have you ever been? you must make it there someday!

photos by: heather gildroy
instagrams by: designlovefest

I want to go here so badly. It looks like a dream!

Elizabeth says:

Such a beautiful place! I knew I recognized it from somewhere– Into the Wild was right. I’m always impressed by your work.

Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

Stunning Photos as always! You are so varied in your shots and yet have a great consistency in your brand 🙂
    J

Oh my!! That looks so fun and great for pictures!! I know I’m taking a road trip from CA to UT in July so I’m already planning to put that fun mountain in as a pit stop!! So excited!!
    Tessa Lynn

this looks so much fun! we’ll have to go this fall! (not the summer because it is too darn hot!)

Mina Brinkey says:

Amazing! Just beautiful. Definitely going on the bucket list of places to visit!

giulia says:

amazing! it looks like a dream!

Sally says:

this place looks incredible! i’d love to visit it one day. super gorgeous photos too!

Jutta says:

Oh my, looks magical!

This place is mad!! Can you imagine how much of a creative spirit you need to put this together!? I need to have a look at this more closely. This mountain is now on my “must see” list. Wow.

alicia says:

Wow, if I ever make it down into that area I am 100% visiting this place. It’s really quite amazing.

charity says:

i’ve been dying to go here for ages! these are beautiful shots.

charity

C’est vraiment très beau! J’adore ce style d’art 🙂
    Dépaysant en tout cas…

Bises,
    Stephy

Amanda says:

I can’t believe we didn’t know about this when we were on our road trip last year – would have been an amazing thing to see!

Kastles says:

That place looks awesome! So magical & fun! Love your sweet little looks as usual!
    Have a wonderful weekend Bri!
    <3 Kastles
    p.s- you should come to Edmonton, Alberta,Canada for your next Canadian blogshop stop <3

That looks amazing! Have not been, but next time I’m back in the west coast I’ll put in on my list of places to see. Great photos!

laura says:

thanks so much for sharing about this beautiful place! my hubby and i hit it up after coachella. we’re from canada, so we would have had no idea about it!

Sarah says:

Yes I HAVE been there! I got to meet the maker too. It was a few years ago. He gave us a bunch of free stuff. It’s pretty amazing. Almost like an amusement park. The colors rock.

– Sarah
    A Girl In Transit

Latrina says:

I have not! — but now I want to go! That place is unbelievably gorgeous. How fun!

I remember watching a special on tv about this place. Amazing!

estherjulee says:

been wanting to check this place out too! i think we’re scheduled to go in a couple weeeks. 🙂

jensen says:

oh! I went to salvation mountain a few years ago, when Leonard was still living there. He is seriously the sweetest old man, my friends and I brought stuff to have a picnic lunch and Leonard joined us and shared so many great stories.

Chelsea says:

Your creativity and fun spirit just radiate in every facet of your little corner of the internet Bri, I love it!

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

Bitty says:

Wow! I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this place. It’s like all my childhood dreams come true!.. if only it were also bouncy. Bucket-listed.

I love love love Salvation Mtn. My sister and I went a couple years ago on a whim. It was nearly 115 degrees out and no one was around for miles, and we found Leonard tucked away in a corner painting. We sat down and he told us all about how he got there. Once in a lifetime!

Hanna says:

These pictures look so awesome, I would love to visit someday surely! First I have to come to the USA though…

I’ve never heard of Salvation Mountain. It looks like such a wonderful and whimsical place. 😉

Sarah says:

Such a perfect place for a style shoot! It must be amazing to see this colorful monument just appear out of the desert!

Alex Yates says:

I have been there I actually went a couple weeks right before you did! When you posted your instagram about going there, I got so excited because I had been somewhere you went too! It’s such an amazing sight to go see! It really is in the middle of nowhere, but so worth the drive!

What an incredible place and wonderful pictures!!! Thank you for sharing!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

LOVE this. Such a creative inspiration!

jen says:

so beautiful! love your style too!!

MelitaSu says:

Wow. They don’t call it America the beautiful for nothing! What an interesting, quirky place.

Amazing place!! I wish I was ther 🙂

Chatti says:

Bri, I have been fascinated by this place too but have only seen it in pictures! Because of your post, I’ve been wanting to go even more! This is beyond cool. Nice outfits by the way!
    -Chatti

Cheyenne says:

If you’re into the wild side you would have loved stopping by The Range on a Saturday night.. just down the road from Salvation Mountain. Live music, love and peace!

Marc says:

Hi there!

Ist a little bit busy but last year i was on the Magic place in my Holidays and i leave a little art gift there from me! This i see on your Picture! The Picture where you sit, do you see the red Hand? That was me 🙂

Greetz from Germany

bye Marc

PS: Sry for my bad english^^

andromax says:

That is a good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very precise information_ Thank
    you for sharing this one. A must read post!