05.30.13

MAKE IT / 35

i was driving along one day in my neighborhood and stopped immediately when i saw this peacock chair left on the street for the taking. so in my car it went. sure, it was a little beat up, but i knew it would make the perfect DIY post. natalie sprayed it gold and gave it some major love. one man’s trash…is my new peacock chair! check out the before & after…

what you’ll need:

• a wicker or rattan chair in need of some love

• gold metallic spray paint

• large pieces of cardboard

• yarn

• a large yarn needle

• time and a vision

IMG_1502 copy

how to make it:

• depending on the condition of your chair determine if you need to fix anything before you paint. we had to reinforce some sections of our chair where the armrests met the body to help stabilize it. we used some medium weight wire to help rewrap areas where the rattan had been damaged. this will obviously be needed on a case by case basis but it’s best to take care of any structural issues before you start.

• take time to clean any dirt from the chair. our chair had tons of leaves stuck to it that had to be removed prior to painting.

• in a well ventilated area (outside preferably) we created a spray booth out of several large pieces of cardboard. this helped to keep the spray paint contained and also keep debris from contacting the chair as we were working.

• paint several light coats of gold spray paint giving coats time to dry in between applications. it is best to start with a very light dusting of paint. this helps create a base layer with a little bit of a tooth to it for subsequent layers to adhere to. if your chair has any paint on it already you may want to consider a light sanding and a primer coat first.

• after you have given your chair the midas touch it’s time to let your imagination run wild. the best place to start it with a good color palette of 3-5 colors of nice thick yarn…

• designate different areas of your chair that you would like to concentrate on and weave the yarn either in and out of the wicker or rattan or wrap around entire areas for big solid swathes of color. the shape and design of your chair will help dictate the best areas to concentrate on. we really loved the overall shape of our peacock chair so we wanted to help emphasize the outline with our design.

• remember to have fun with it, the objective is to make something unique so give yourself time to consider lots of design options both before you start and as you go along. we didn’t have a particular final design in mind when we started just an overall idea that we reworked as we went along.

• if you’re pom pom and tassel addicted like we are consider areas where you might add some here and there. see our DIY post on how to make poms here!

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
“after” photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

• 1. mary @ bgjournals.com  |  May 30th, 2013 at 8:54 am

wow–awesome revival of an already awesome chair, this looks amazing! and call me next time you see one on the side of the road please? cause i’ll take it.

• 2. Vanessa  |  May 30th, 2013 at 8:55 am

Creative genius right here. It looks fabulous!

• 3. mekeesha  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:06 am

this looks perfect. great job!

• 4. Melissa  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:12 am

I can’t handle this post.

• 5. Melissa  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:13 am

Holy Crap! I was waiting to see what you’d do with it. So awesome! This is the greatest street find of all time!

• 6. Anonymous  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:27 am

Ohhh this is a wonderful project. You put some major love into this chair. I love it!

• 7. Ana  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:27 am

This is AWESOME! I remember seeing the chair on instagram and was wondering what you are going to do with it. Turned out great! Don’t understand who people can throw this out. But there is no accounting for taste. :)

• 8. Dariela  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:32 am

I love the yarn details, the whole look is perfect!!

• 9. alicia  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:41 am

So pretty, especially with the pom poms :)

• 10. Michelle Clement  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:45 am

Ohmygosh….what an awesome makeover for a great chair!! :) I love the stitched yarn details – genius!

• 11. Kristen  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:52 am

Looks amazing! I’m so happy you incorporated pom poms–the perfect touch!

• 12. japolina  |  May 30th, 2013 at 9:54 am

Fantastic results!

• 13. Meredith  |  May 30th, 2013 at 10:12 am

I”m not usually a DIY person, but this turned out ridiculously awesome. Poms make everything better. I have a weekend project now.

• 14. mae  |  May 30th, 2013 at 10:30 am

Fun! I love peacock chairs… we found two dumped outside our college apartment and they were forever known as the “throne chairs.” Wish I had thought to do something as creative as this. Those pom-poms add the best finishing touch.

• 15. Ashleigh | Hello! Upholstery + blog  |  May 30th, 2013 at 10:37 am

That is pretty amazing! I love these chairs, but my husband hates them – boo! I don’t know that the yarn would sweeten the deal for him but it makes me want one even more so that I can DIY it up! If I want it more than he hates it that means I win, right?

xx Ashleigh

• 16. Ally  |  May 30th, 2013 at 10:44 am

this is an amazing idea! i love the pom poms. I have a peacock chair already but its in pretty good condition. I might have to add these poms to it though i love it! Thanks

• 17. Cat  |  May 30th, 2013 at 10:44 am

Awesome!

• 18. YOLONDA  |  May 30th, 2013 at 10:50 am

I want this bad! Can you send me your chair?

• 19. Nicole Marie  |  May 30th, 2013 at 10:55 am

That is awesome! Natalie you did a great job! So cool.

• 20. Carrie @DreamGreenDIY  |  May 30th, 2013 at 11:18 am

God this sounds so cheesy, but it seriously warms my heart to see a piece of would-be trash get transformed into something so gorgeous! Well done – as always =)

• 21. kelsey  |  May 30th, 2013 at 11:30 am

my parents have the exact same chair! i’d love to spray it gold!

• 22. Bitty  |  May 30th, 2013 at 11:37 am

WOW!!! So beautiful! You guys did an amazing job! I can’t believe somebody would get rid of that, bet if they saw it now they be kicking themselves!

• 23. karrie kaneda  |  May 30th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

LOVE. so adorable.

• 24. Latrina  |  May 30th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Wow! I am so impressed. I would have never thought about doing something like that — I love it! And I just bought me a simple wicker chair for my garden, now I want to attempt something like this! :)

• 25. LARY@ Inspiration Nook  |  May 30th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Simply amazing!

• 26. Chelsea  |  May 30th, 2013 at 12:58 pm

This is such an amazing DIY Bri! I love the metallic spray paint and those sweet pom-poms make all the difference.

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

• 27. The Seaside Family  |  May 30th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Stunning. I love this x

• 28. Allyson  |  May 30th, 2013 at 1:36 pm

This chair is seriously gorgeous!

Allyson

• 29. Tiffany @ The Triple Crème  |  May 30th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Wow-what a great find and what a brilliant way to spruce up the chair. I’ve never thought of using yarn. Brilliant!

• 30. Melinda's Musings  |  May 30th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

What an amazing find! Love how you updated it.

• 31. grecia  |  May 30th, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Bri, those chairs were really popular in Mexico in the 80′s, usually used for honoring mommys to be at their babyshowers, my mom sat in one in her celebration, i have pictures, i dont like them fo that use specially, i think they make better garden chairs, buuuut let me tell you i am impressed with your transformation

• 32. Sam  |  May 30th, 2013 at 6:33 pm

That came out amazing! That chair was definitely worth it.

• 33. islandshii  |  May 30th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

This is nice! I love the metallic gold.

• 34. Elena @ Randomly Happy  |  May 31st, 2013 at 12:25 am

Brilliant! Would never have thought to use yarn to jazz it up. I bet it could work with strips of fabric too.

Great job on the DIY!

x Elena @ Randomly Happy

• 35. Capella  |  May 31st, 2013 at 7:06 am

Great idea! I’ve been thinking for months where I could fit a peacock chair into my house or backyard – still can’t decide if it fits or not, but after seeing this I’m going to have to try harder.

• 36. Tobe | Because It's Awesome  |  May 31st, 2013 at 7:52 am

just snagged one of these on Craigslist for $5 this week, so am DEFINITELY considering giving this a shot. very cool.

• 37. Alexandra Pettinato  |  May 31st, 2013 at 8:48 am

This is super cute! Nice job on the re-style!

Alex from http://www.polkadottedpixels.com

• 38. SARAHSMILE.ME&hellip  |  June 1st, 2013 at 10:10 am

[...] A beautiful peacock chair DIY ♥♥♥ [...]

• 39. dom  |  June 2nd, 2013 at 11:27 pm

freaking rad.

• 40. PINS /23: Wicker Baskets &hellip  |  June 4th, 2013 at 5:02 am

[...] in your favor (no..not picnics). I think I’ll be using mine as storage and planters. This great DIY on Design Love Fest will also give them a fresh updated look. 1st Photo borrowed from Wabi Sabi; [...]

• 41. Dominika  |  June 20th, 2013 at 6:44 am

love how it turns out!

• 42. 6-20: Community Thursday!&hellip  |  June 20th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

[...] I LOVE this tutorial/idea! Not only does it rescue a trashed but totally awesome piece of furniture, it transforms it into a throne fit for any artistic king or queen! Plus – you can’t see it in the pic above, but there are pompoms! [which they *totally* have a tutorial for, too] Love love love love. http://www.designlovefest.com/2013/05/make-it-35/ [...]

• 43. peacock chair | The Beaut&hellip  |  August 14th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

[...] love the idea that you can update it in so many ways, it would be such a fun project.  Check out this [...]

• 44. Trolling Craigslist…&hellip  |  August 28th, 2013 at 5:02 am

[...] Chair $100 This isn’t a score, but you could do something like this that DesignLoveFest did which was a HUGE hit in my [...]

• 45. Deena  |  October 12th, 2013 at 5:58 am

Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful post. Thanks for supplying this info.

• 46. easy chocolate Dessert re&hellip  |  February 25th, 2014 at 4:52 am