MAKE IT / 31

west elm approached us with a challenge. it was to create a DIY project using their paper flowers (look at all their options here) natalie decided on making a floral headboard, and i was pretty excited to see what she would create. this is such an interesting way to customize your bedroom. (imagine how cute it would be in a little girl’s room!) now let’s see how she made it…

what you’ll need:

west elm morroco headboard in white
• west elm paper flowers
• thin white artist tape
• thin silver floral wire
• wire snips

how to make it:

• install headboard according to directions.

• for paper flowers with bendable wire stems, wrap stem through the openings from the front to the back (think of it as a flower growing up a lattice)  and secure with tape on the backside of the headboard, you can wrap the tape around the sides  a little bit to give it extra stability. use wire snips to cut down the stems a bit if needed.

• for flowers on branch stems, secure with floral wire, taking care to run the wire behind the blossoms so that it can’t be seen. use a small piece of tape to secure the wire on the backside of the headboard.

* tip, it’s easier to work on this project of you can get to both sides of the headboard, so pull it away from the wall until you get all of your flowers in place.

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

This is SO gorgeous!! What an ingenious idea!!

Ergo-Blog says:

Wow! How bright & beautiful and screams Spring! I love this idea! =)

Emily B says:

Gorgeous! I would love to try this using a trelis to mount slightly above the bed (I’d be scared of crushing them!).
    Thank you for the inspiration!

Jana Miller says:

So clever, I’ve never see n anything like it before! I’ll have to check out those paper flowers 🙂

This is adorable! Great way of using paper flowers, I hate how quickly real flowers go bad, these will last so much longer. Those flowers are really cute.

Oh my! This is as sweet as it can get! I would feel like a princess!

Sarah says:

It is pretty but why cover up the brand new beautiful headboard? You could have just made your own with lattice work from the garden.

Chelsea says:

This is such an inventive idea and so pretty for Spring!

Chelsea & The City
    Be sure to check out my eShakti giveaway!

Maria João says:

So so beautiful * Going right away to my DIY list!

rachael says:

this is so pretty!

giulia says:

this is the most beautiful headboard i’ve ever seen! i have no more words…

raquel says:

so fun and unique! I worry you would crush them with pillows or if you wanted to sit up in bed though…

Kristen says:

Sooooo cute. I was there this weekend and LOVED all their pretty flowers.

This is beautiful! And so unique…perfect for spring!

Ana says:

This is a great idea for their flowers. I love them, there are so many thing you can do with them.

What a perfect headboard for spring! It looks gorgeous.

This is pretty cute! I love that you did this using a few different flowers. It gives it a really nice dynamic and variety.

fran says:

Really pretty, but probably one of the most impractical things I’ve ever seen.

Holli Anne says:

I absolutely love this idea! Great job, Natalie!

Now I get what you did during your girl time. What a cute project. Takes that headboard to the next level.

Michaela says:

oh my god! I love that you did this! I had the idea to DIY one with silk roses a while back and never got around to it, as usual. You have re inspired me!

lemoskow says:

This is cute, but isn’t it incredibly impractical? As soon as you leaned a pillow on it or reached back in your sleep, it would be squashed and torn. And in a kids’ room, I wouldn’t expect it to last a week!

This idea is pure genius! Such a perfect idea to get into the spring mood – even when it’s still a little bit chilly outside 🙂

bri says:

hi lemoskow, you could always take the project and make it practical for your needs. maybe just a few flowers instead of filling up the whole thing? we liked the idea of a headboard full of flowers but the project could obviously be altered.

Wow this is so lovely!! Bookmarking this for future reference <3

joy @ OSS says:

this is so clever and just downright beautiful

Kya says:

What an awesome idea. So pretty. 😀 Thank you for sharing this. 🙂

Best DIY project yet! Such a creative idea.

So pretty! And, I’m officially in the mood for spring to hit NYC! Gorgeous!

Anna says:

This is such a cool DIY, it looks great!

Alyssa says:

I love everything about this!! It’s so pretty. Thank you so much for sharing, its definitely an inspiration while I’m decorating my new townhouse!

ladynoble says:

love this but totally would not work on my bed. those pretty flowers would get smashed since I like to sleep with my head touching the headboard!

Pingback: SARAHSMILE.ME
    Courtney says:

I understand the concern about ripping or smashing the flowers however, I have used spray sealers to stiffen paper flowers in the past. Just and idea. This is amazing Natalie! So Pretty.

Ana says:

Very pretty, but I think I’d inadvertently rip half of them the first night.

Marissa says:

This is gorgeous!

My cats would love this. Just kidding…it is beautiful! But I would have to keep the cats away from it… Debbie @ ilovemylemonadelife.com

Rachel says:

This is stunning. The headboard was cool before now it’s extremely cool! I love the mix of paper flowers and flowers made of tissue paper

Anonymous says:

You could also use lattice for the headboard part