SINGLE LADIES VALENTINE’S DAY BRUNCH
so you go out with your single girlfriends, dance around, and sing loudly to “don’t cha“ in the car ride home (been there.) on valentine’s day, you ladies meet for this fun brunch and recap the night, tell funny stories, and eat heart waffles with boozy maple syrup…
after this valentine’s brunch, those stuffy tea sandwiches will be a thing of the past. it’s waffle sandwiches from now til forever! we will have hands covered in syrup and we won’t care. that’s how good these are.
but before we even get into the food stuffs, let’s talk drinks. ’cause really, that’s what brunch is all about. as much as i love to mix a drink for my friends, i also love to give them the opportunity to create their own concoction.
SINGLE LADIES LOVE PUNCH
blood orange soda
sparkling wine (i used Sofia Blanc de Blancs, mostly cause sofia coppola rules!)
rosemary syrup (recipe right here)
pink grapefruit juice
and for garnishes . . .
and rosemary sprigs
set out a bunch of colored glasses, (shopping guide below) let them choose their favorite and build their own drink with a little guidance from you. it’s more fun that way. if for some silly reason you think your pals will be overwhelmed with the responsibility of mixing the perfect drink, help em out with this recipe…
• throw some ice cubes in one of those cute glasses you pulled out.
• fill 1/4 of the way with grapefruit juice
• then split the next 1/4 of the way with blood orange soda and lillet.
• a healthy splash (maybe a tablespoon) of rosemary syrup.
• and top with the sparkling wine.
• and gulp!
here’s the mix i recommend. you won’t use measuring cups, just eye it like a real pro!
alright, now let’s get ready for these waffle sandwiches.
since this was a special occasion, i got kinda fancy with all of it. so it’s gonna take a bit more preparation than usual. i promise, it is totally worth it.
first things first, you need to make those cute salted rosemary butter hearts.
• 1 stick of unsalted organic sweet cream butter (softened and cubed)
• 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon of maldon salt
• remove the leaves of the rosemary and discard the stalk. then coarsely chop the leaves.
• place the butter cubes, rosemary and salt in a small food processor and pulse until smooth.
• take a small sheet of wax paper and place on a plate or cooking sheet.
• spread the butter mixture on thick, 1/4 inch or a bit more (you don’t need to cover the whole sheet. you want to have some height to the butter).
• pop in the fridge for a couple hours (or if you are in a hurry – the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes)
• once the butter has hardened, use a mini heart cookie cutter like this and cut out the hearts.
then you can place the hearts on a chilled plate and keep in the fridge until right before the waffle sandwiches are ready.
next, onto the crispy prosciutto.
this one is so easy. also, you will probably never eat bacon again. so you may want to mentally prepare for that transition.
• all you need is 6 slices of prosciutto, and this is what you do.
• preheat oven to 400.
• cover a large baking sheet with foil.
• lay the slices of prosciutto side by side on the sheet (if you don’t have room, do it in batches – this stuff is as good cold as it is hot)
• slide that sheet in the oven for about ten minutes, or until they are crispy (not burned).
• remove crisped prosciutto from sheet and let sit on a paper towel until you are ready.
oh, and you should watch these babies like a hawk, cause they tend to go missing in my kitchen when backs are turned.
butter done, prosciutto done, now onto some boozy maple syrup.
• 8 oz pure maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons unsalted organic sweet cream butter
• 2 tablespoons bourbon (i used bulleit bourbon and i was really happy with it)
• in a saucepan over medium heat bring maple syrup and butter to a boil.
• add in the whiskey, stir and remove from heat.
• depending on how long the brunch setup takes, you may want to quickly reheat just before you serve.
and the final piece of the puzzle . . . WAFFLES!
• 1 box of pancake/waffle mix, plus the ingredients that the box calls for (i needed water, eggs and oil) *note: let’s not beat ourselves up for not making these from scratch, k?
• zest of half an orange
• 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
follow the instructions on the box for the waffle and simply add in the zest and vanilla. see, so we’re not just boxin’ it after all. the box will tell you the rest, which is basically heat up the heart waffle maker, add batter, cook, remove, repeat.
now all you need to do is stack waffle/prosciutto/waffle/butter and cover in syrup.
oh, and prepare to fall in love.
it’s all about mixing and matching for this brunch. some tall glasses, some short…mix in lots of bright colors, vintage glasses, simple tumblers…patterned paper napkins…here’s a ton of our favorites:
shop these items: 1. Anthropologie gold water glass 2. Anthropologie pink goblet, 3. Anthropologie gold highball glass, 4. Terrain juice glass, 5. Jonathan Adler lips place holder , 6. Fishs Eddy pink dots glass, 7. Jonathan Adler white rocks glass, 8. Kate Spade polkadot plate, 9. Ebay fuchsia glass bottle, 10. Kate Spade pink bottle stopper, 11.Etsy retro gold glasses, 12. West Elm rose gold flatware, 13. Target heart paper napkins.
and how about a couple of tunes to play for your girls get together? thanks for helping me put this list together, kelly!
and who are we kidding? you can do this brunch anytime of year with your single or your coupled up friends. but we want to see photos when you do, k?