so you go out with your single girlfriends, dance around, and sing loudly to “don’t cha in the car ride home (been there.) on valentine’s day, you ladies meet for this fun brunch and recap the night, tell funny stories, and eat heart waffles with boozy maple syrup…

after this valentine’s brunch, those stuffy tea sandwiches will be a thing of the past. it’s waffle sandwiches from now til forever! we will have hands covered in syrup and we won’t care. that’s how good these are.

but before we even get into the food stuffs, let’s talk drinks. ’cause really, that’s what brunch is all about. as much as i love to mix a drink for my friends, i also love to give them the opportunity to create their own concoction.

lillet rose
blood orange soda
sparkling wine (i used Sofia Blanc de Blancs, mostly cause sofia coppola rules!)
rosemary syrup (recipe right here)
pink grapefruit juice

and for garnishes . . .

lemon wedges
lime wedges
maraschino cherries
and rosemary sprigs

set out a bunch of colored glasses, (shopping guide below) let them choose their favorite and build their own drink with a little guidance from you. it’s more fun that way. if for some silly reason you think your pals will be overwhelmed with the responsibility of mixing the perfect drink, help em out with this recipe

• throw some ice cubes in one of those cute glasses you pulled out.
• fill 1/4 of the way with grapefruit juice
• then split the next 1/4 of the way with blood orange soda and lillet.
• a healthy splash (maybe a tablespoon) of rosemary syrup.
• and top with the sparkling wine.
• garnish
• and gulp!

here’s the mix i recommend. you won’t use measuring cups, just eye it like a real pro!

alright, now let’s get ready for these waffle sandwiches.

since this was a special occasion, i got kinda fancy with all of it. so it’s gonna take a bit more preparation than usual. i promise, it is totally worth it.

first things first, you need to make those cute salted rosemary butter hearts.

• 1 stick of unsalted organic sweet cream butter (softened and cubed)
• 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon of maldon salt

• remove the leaves of the rosemary and discard the stalk. then coarsely chop the leaves.
• place the butter cubes, rosemary and salt in a small food processor and pulse until smooth.
• take a small sheet of wax paper and place on a plate or cooking sheet.
• spread the butter mixture on thick, 1/4 inch or a bit more (you don’t need to cover the whole sheet.  you want to have some height to the butter).
• pop in the fridge for a couple hours (or if you are in a hurry – the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes)
• once the butter has hardened, use a mini heart cookie cutter like this and cut out the hearts.

then you can place the hearts on a chilled plate and keep in the fridge until right before the waffle sandwiches are ready.

next, onto the crispy prosciutto.

this one is so easy.  also, you will probably never eat bacon again. so you may want to mentally prepare for that transition.

• all you need is 6 slices of prosciutto, and this is what you do.
• preheat oven to 400.
• cover a large baking sheet with foil.
• lay the slices of prosciutto side by side on the sheet (if you don’t have room, do it in batches – this stuff is as good cold as it is hot)
• slide that sheet in the oven for about ten minutes, or until they are crispy (not burned).
• remove crisped prosciutto from sheet and let sit on a paper towel until you are ready.

oh, and you should watch these babies like a hawk, cause they tend to go missing in my kitchen when backs are turned.

butter done, prosciutto done, now onto some boozy maple syrup.

• 8 oz pure maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons unsalted organic sweet cream butter
• 2 tablespoons bourbon (i used bulleit bourbon and i was really happy with it)
• in a saucepan over medium heat bring maple syrup and butter to a boil.
• add in the whiskey, stir and remove from heat.
• depending on how long the brunch setup takes, you may want to quickly reheat just before you serve.

and the final piece of the puzzle . . . WAFFLES!

• 1 box of pancake/waffle mix, plus the ingredients that the box calls for (i needed water, eggs and oil) *note: let’s not beat ourselves up for not making these from scratch, k?
• zest of half an orange
• 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla extract

follow the instructions on the box for the waffle and simply add in the zest and vanilla.  see, so we’re not just boxin’ it after all. the box will tell you the rest, which is basically heat up the heart waffle maker, add batter, cook, remove, repeat.

now all you need to do is stack waffle/prosciutto/waffle/butter and cover in syrup.

oh, and prepare to fall in love.

it’s all about mixing and matching for this brunch. some tall glasses, some short…mix in lots of bright colors, vintage glasses, simple tumblers…patterned paper napkins…here’s a ton of our favorites:

shop these items: 1. Anthropologie gold water glass  2. Anthropologie pink goblet, 3. Anthropologie gold highball glass, 4. Terrain juice glass, 5. Jonathan Adler lips place holder , 6. Fishs Eddy pink dots glass, 7. Jonathan Adler white rocks glass, 8. Kate Spade polkadot plate, 9. Ebay fuchsia glass bottle, 10. Kate Spade pink bottle stopper, 11.Etsy retro gold glasses, 12. West Elm rose gold flatware, 13. Target heart paper napkins.

and how about a couple of tunes to play for your girls get together? thanks for helping me put this list together, kelly!

and who are we kidding? you can do this brunch anytime of year with your single or your coupled up friends. but we want to see photos when you do, k?

(photos & recipes by jen gotch, art direction by designlovefest – want more food posts? go here!)

Vicki Archer says:

Those waffles look absolutely gorgeous!!…I will definitely be trying those… xv

Wow love this post, and love the extensiveness of it! I’ll be trying those waffles sooner than later!
    Love, Vredenburg

Janice says:

Love this idea. Those rosemary hearts are pure gold! Love it.

And the playlist is awesome.

Lucy says:

Where can I find the plate that’s yellow with the white sliver edge????

Veronica says:

I’m married but think this is the cutest idea ever! I want to be single for an afternoon so I can come to this party 🙂

So fun- love the heart-shaped butter!

Merritt says:

Hell yeah! Been wanting to host a girl’s brunch – totally going to after seeing how much FUN it will be! Thanks for showing us where we can get these super fun dishes. (I own a few of the gold water glasses from Anthro & love them.) Great post.

Oh man, what a fun and sweet idea!

Beth says:

Since guys don’t like Valentine’s Day anyway, I think I should just do this with my girlfriends instead! I’d style my table with vintage glasses and old silver. The bar would look great with vintage decanters too!

alicia says:

Those photos look amazing, so colourful! Great job on the photography. My mouth is watering looking at those waffle-sandwiches, sooooo good. Brunch is my favorite. And so are you!

Sarah says:

BUTTER HEARTS! Adorable! This is a sweet idea or the single gals. But I have to point out, the last image with the “cest la vie” shirt, that chick is wearing a wedding ring! Kick her out!

Cindy says:

Omaaahh goodness, the whole thing looks fabulous. I’m gonna have to plan a brunch date now for my girls! Love it, thank you for the inspiration!

Lo says:

All of this would be amazing for any kind of celebration. Love the attention to the little details in everything!

Marie says:

What super cute glasses. And I love the idea of a nice little valentine brunch. 🙂

Anna @ IHOD says:

I am head over heels for this whole post! Great job gals! xo

Kate says:

You come up with the most adorable things…waffle friggin’ sandwiches?! Obsessed 🙂

I’m hungry!! This looks so dang good!!

Kristen says:

Love this! Love the glasses you chose. Wish I would have thought about waffle sandwiches! I’m actually posting a Valentine’s Day brunch video next week.

Elizabeth says:

ooh, this looks so fabulous. loving the hello sweatshirt and striped c’est la vie striped top, where can i find those?

Margaret says:

Where is your black and white ring from Bri?

bri says:

margaret – it’s from a street vendor in berlin. it’s my favorite 🙂

Margaret says:

@bri – it might be my favorite ring of yours too, lol!

Chick Tyler says:

This has to be one of my favorite DLF! So lovely AND yummy!

Monica says:

Love this post! I need to organize one of these for all of my single ladies out there.
    We would have lots of heart shaped foods, like brownies [my favorite]!
    I love the idea of adding fresh herbs into the butter.
    Target’s heart printed napkins are the cutest.

rachael says:

adorable! my fave part was the drinks 😉

Lauren says:

heart butter?! adorbs!

Jules says:

This is the best blog post I’ve seen on Valentine’s Day yet. It’s inspiring me.

Jules of Canines & Couture

Rachel C says:

Where is the striped shirt from??? Love!!! 🙂

you ladies made one pretty post! love this! xo

Lisa L. says:

This is such a lovely idea! Especially the waffles and punch. Single ladies do enjoy a good punch! Hope you have a lovely Valentine’s Day. 😀

Mostly Lisa

Wow! I love the heart waffles with prosciutto! Great idea for a savoury breakfast in bed 🙂 x

Pingback: Close, No Cigar
    caroline says:

heart butter! Amazing xx

V says:

I have a question… It’s not waffle related tho, it’s more a design thing. I’ve been trying to upload to my blog a long layout I did with Indesign, it has pictures and a bit of text. On my computer the jpg file looks fine… BUT when I preview it or post it to blogger everything looks terrible. Very low res images and fuzzy type. Very frustrating. What program do you use to make the layouts like, for example, the ‘have fun with it’ in this post? And, more importantly, any special tips for the time of saving?

Thank you for making such a great blog! The only bad thing is that it’s addictive 😉 Vxx

Pingback: The Sunday Edition
    Katie McC says:

I love your Hello sweatshirt! I just spotted their online store from Casey Weigand’s blog and fell in love with everything. And that striped long sleeve shirt is super cute to. =)

Pingback: Decorator in a Box
    Pingback: singles chat line
    blogspot.com says:

Hey there would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re working with?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s
    the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your
    stuff previous to and you are just extremely
    wonderful. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are
    stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and
    you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant
    wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific website.

There can be main two causes for the occurrence of the above error
    message and these are as follows:. Note:.
    The system prompts to repair the files if it deducts any error.