02.06.13

SINGLE LADIES VALENTINE’S DAY BRUNCH

so you go out with your single girlfriends, dance around, and sing loudly to “don’t cha in the car ride home (been there.) on valentine’s day, you ladies meet for this fun brunch and recap the night, tell funny stories, and eat heart waffles with boozy maple syrup…

after this valentine’s brunch, those stuffy tea sandwiches will be a thing of the past. it’s waffle sandwiches from now til forever! we will have hands covered in syrup and we won’t care. that’s how good these are.

but before we even get into the food stuffs, let’s talk drinks. ’cause really, that’s what brunch is all about. as much as i love to mix a drink for my friends, i also love to give them the opportunity to create their own concoction.

SINGLE LADIES LOVE PUNCH
ingredients:

lillet rose
blood orange soda
sparkling wine (i used Sofia Blanc de Blancs, mostly cause sofia coppola rules!)
rosemary syrup (recipe right here)
pink grapefruit juice

and for garnishes . . .

lemon wedges
lime wedges
maraschino cherries
and rosemary sprigs

set out a bunch of colored glasses, (shopping guide below) let them choose their favorite and build their own drink with a little guidance from you. it’s more fun that way. if for some silly reason you think your pals will be overwhelmed with the responsibility of mixing the perfect drink, help em out with this recipe

• throw some ice cubes in one of those cute glasses you pulled out.
• fill 1/4 of the way with grapefruit juice
• then split the next 1/4 of the way with blood orange soda and lillet.
• a healthy splash (maybe a tablespoon) of rosemary syrup.
• STIR
• and top with the sparkling wine.
• garnish
• and gulp!

here’s the mix i recommend. you won’t use measuring cups, just eye it like a real pro!

alright, now let’s get ready for these waffle sandwiches.

since this was a special occasion, i got kinda fancy with all of it. so it’s gonna take a bit more preparation than usual. i promise, it is totally worth it.

first things first, you need to make those cute salted rosemary butter hearts.

ingredients:

• 1 stick of unsalted organic sweet cream butter (softened and cubed)
• 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon of maldon salt

• remove the leaves of the rosemary and discard the stalk. then coarsely chop the leaves.
• place the butter cubes, rosemary and salt in a small food processor and pulse until smooth.
• take a small sheet of wax paper and place on a plate or cooking sheet.
• spread the butter mixture on thick, 1/4 inch or a bit more (you don’t need to cover the whole sheet.  you want to have some height to the butter).
• pop in the fridge for a couple hours (or if you are in a hurry – the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes)
• once the butter has hardened, use a mini heart cookie cutter like this and cut out the hearts.

then you can place the hearts on a chilled plate and keep in the fridge until right before the waffle sandwiches are ready.

next, onto the crispy prosciutto.

this one is so easy.  also, you will probably never eat bacon again. so you may want to mentally prepare for that transition.

• all you need is 6 slices of prosciutto, and this is what you do.
• preheat oven to 400.
• cover a large baking sheet with foil.
• lay the slices of prosciutto side by side on the sheet (if you don’t have room, do it in batches – this stuff is as good cold as it is hot)
• slide that sheet in the oven for about ten minutes, or until they are crispy (not burned).
• remove crisped prosciutto from sheet and let sit on a paper towel until you are ready.

oh, and you should watch these babies like a hawk, cause they tend to go missing in my kitchen when backs are turned.

butter done, prosciutto done, now onto some boozy maple syrup.

• 8 oz pure maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons unsalted organic sweet cream butter
• 2 tablespoons bourbon (i used bulleit bourbon and i was really happy with it)
• in a saucepan over medium heat bring maple syrup and butter to a boil.
• add in the whiskey, stir and remove from heat.
• depending on how long the brunch setup takes, you may want to quickly reheat just before you serve.

and the final piece of the puzzle . . . WAFFLES!

• 1 box of pancake/waffle mix, plus the ingredients that the box calls for (i needed water, eggs and oil) *note: let’s not beat ourselves up for not making these from scratch, k?
• zest of half an orange
• 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla extract

follow the instructions on the box for the waffle and simply add in the zest and vanilla.  see, so we’re not just boxin’ it after all. the box will tell you the rest, which is basically heat up the heart waffle maker, add batter, cook, remove, repeat.

now all you need to do is stack waffle/prosciutto/waffle/butter and cover in syrup.

oh, and prepare to fall in love.

it’s all about mixing and matching for this brunch. some tall glasses, some short…mix in lots of bright colors, vintage glasses, simple tumblers…patterned paper napkins…here’s a ton of our favorites:

shop these items: 1. Anthropologie gold water glass  2. Anthropologie pink goblet, 3. Anthropologie gold highball glass, 4. Terrain juice glass, 5. Jonathan Adler lips place holder , 6. Fishs Eddy pink dots glass, 7. Jonathan Adler white rocks glass, 8. Kate Spade polkadot plate, 9. Ebay fuchsia glass bottle, 10. Kate Spade pink bottle stopper, 11.Etsy retro gold glasses, 12. West Elm rose gold flatware, 13. Target heart paper napkins.

and how about a couple of tunes to play for your girls get together? thanks for helping me put this list together, kelly!

and who are we kidding? you can do this brunch anytime of year with your single or your coupled up friends. but we want to see photos when you do, k?

(photos & recipes by jen gotch, art direction by designlovefest – want more food posts? go here!)

• 1. Vicki Archer  |  February 6th, 2013 at 7:08 am

Those waffles look absolutely gorgeous!!…I will definitely be trying those… xv

• 2. Vredenburgje.wordpress.com  |  February 6th, 2013 at 7:24 am

Wow love this post, and love the extensiveness of it! I’ll be trying those waffles sooner than later!
    Love, Vredenburg

• 3. Janice  |  February 6th, 2013 at 7:48 am

Love this idea. Those rosemary hearts are pure gold! Love it.

And the playlist is awesome.

• 4. Lucy  |  February 6th, 2013 at 8:14 am

Where can I find the plate that’s yellow with the white sliver edge????

• 5. Veronica  |  February 6th, 2013 at 8:27 am

I’m married but think this is the cutest idea ever! I want to be single for an afternoon so I can come to this party :)

• 6. la domestique  |  February 6th, 2013 at 8:42 am

So fun- love the heart-shaped butter!

• 7. Merritt  |  February 6th, 2013 at 8:50 am

Hell yeah! Been wanting to host a girl’s brunch – totally going to after seeing how much FUN it will be! Thanks for showing us where we can get these super fun dishes. (I own a few of the gold water glasses from Anthro & love them.) Great post.

• 8. Lauren Ashley  |  February 6th, 2013 at 8:52 am

Oh man, what a fun and sweet idea!

• 9. Beth  |  February 6th, 2013 at 8:52 am

Since guys don’t like Valentine’s Day anyway, I think I should just do this with my girlfriends instead! I’d style my table with vintage glasses and old silver. The bar would look great with vintage decanters too!

• 10. alicia  |  February 6th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Those photos look amazing, so colourful! Great job on the photography. My mouth is watering looking at those waffle-sandwiches, sooooo good. Brunch is my favorite. And so are you!

• 11. Sarah  |  February 6th, 2013 at 9:52 am

BUTTER HEARTS! Adorable! This is a sweet idea or the single gals. But I have to point out, the last image with the “cest la vie” shirt, that chick is wearing a wedding ring! Kick her out!

• 12. Cindy  |  February 6th, 2013 at 10:03 am

Omaaahh goodness, the whole thing looks fabulous. I’m gonna have to plan a brunch date now for my girls! Love it, thank you for the inspiration!

• 13. Lo  |  February 6th, 2013 at 10:08 am

All of this would be amazing for any kind of celebration. Love the attention to the little details in everything!

• 14. Marie  |  February 6th, 2013 at 10:20 am

What super cute glasses. And I love the idea of a nice little valentine brunch. :)

• 15. Anna @ IHOD  |  February 6th, 2013 at 10:32 am

I am head over heels for this whole post! Great job gals! xo

• 16. Kate  |  February 6th, 2013 at 10:49 am

You come up with the most adorable things…waffle friggin’ sandwiches?! Obsessed :)

Kate

• 17. Alexa Sonken {The Wedding Collection}  |  February 6th, 2013 at 10:51 am

I’m hungry!! This looks so dang good!!

• 18. Kristen  |  February 6th, 2013 at 11:02 am

Love this! Love the glasses you chose. Wish I would have thought about waffle sandwiches! I’m actually posting a Valentine’s Day brunch video next week.

• 19. Elizabeth  |  February 6th, 2013 at 11:07 am

ooh, this looks so fabulous. loving the hello sweatshirt and striped c’est la vie striped top, where can i find those?

• 20. invitation consultants  |  February 6th, 2013 at 11:37 am

yummy, looks good!

• 21. Margaret  |  February 6th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Where is your black and white ring from Bri?

• 22. bri  |  February 6th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

margaret – it’s from a street vendor in berlin. it’s my favorite :)

• 23. Margaret  |  February 6th, 2013 at 1:26 pm

@bri – it might be my favorite ring of yours too, lol!

• 24. Chick Tyler  |  February 6th, 2013 at 2:46 pm

This has to be one of my favorite DLF! So lovely AND yummy!

• 25. Monica  |  February 6th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Love this post! I need to organize one of these for all of my single ladies out there.
    We would have lots of heart shaped foods, like brownies [my favorite]!
    I love the idea of adding fresh herbs into the butter.
    Target’s heart printed napkins are the cutest.

M.

• 26. rachael  |  February 6th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

adorable! my fave part was the drinks ;)

• 27. Lauren  |  February 6th, 2013 at 6:00 pm

heart butter?! adorbs!

• 28. Jules  |  February 6th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

This is the best blog post I’ve seen on Valentine’s Day yet. It’s inspiring me.

xoxo,

Jules of Canines & Couture

• 29. Rachel C  |  February 6th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Where is the striped shirt from??? Love!!! :)

• 30. Victoria Smith  |  February 6th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

you ladies made one pretty post! love this! xo

• 31. Lisa L.  |  February 6th, 2013 at 11:29 pm

This is such a lovely idea! Especially the waffles and punch. Single ladies do enjoy a good punch! Hope you have a lovely Valentine’s Day. :D

Always,
    Mostly Lisa

• 32. Melissa Massey  |  February 7th, 2013 at 11:35 am

Wow! I love the heart waffles with prosciutto! Great idea for a savoury breakfast in bed :) x

• 33. | Inclosed Studio | Lette&hellip  |  February 7th, 2013 at 1:14 pm

[...] Heart waffle sandwiches w/ prosciutto 2. Our “10 Reasons” card 3. Our “Be Mine” card 4. “String of [...]

• 34. Friday Favs 23 | Mary Co&hellip  |  February 7th, 2013 at 11:07 pm

[...] heart out of 51 books on love. Found via Swissmiss. 5. DesignLoveFest posted inspiration for a Single Ladies’ Brunch. I adore this because 1) I love girly gatherings, especially at Valentine’s Day, and 2) those [...]

• 35. Close, No Cigar&hellip  |  February 8th, 2013 at 7:40 am

[...] This single ladies Valentines brunch. [...]

• 36. Valentines Day Ideas for &hellip  |  February 8th, 2013 at 9:14 am

[...] Single Ladies Valentine’s Day Brunch – this tutorial from Design Love Fest is amazing. Heart-shaped waffles with prosciutto? Yum! She even gives tips on how to set the table and a “single ladies” playlist to play while you and your friends nosh away on a delicious brunch. This recipe and idea would honestly be great for a girls birthday party! Check out the tutorial and the blog. Image & tutorial from Design Love Fest. [...]

• 37. caroline  |  February 8th, 2013 at 10:00 am

heart butter! Amazing xx

• 38. Welcome To The Weekend - &hellip  |  February 8th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

[...] a brunch for you and your [...]

• 39. V  |  February 9th, 2013 at 11:11 am

I have a question… It’s not waffle related tho, it’s more a design thing. I’ve been trying to upload to my blog a long layout I did with Indesign, it has pictures and a bit of text. On my computer the jpg file looks fine… BUT when I preview it or post it to blogger everything looks terrible. Very low res images and fuzzy type. Very frustrating. What program do you use to make the layouts like, for example, the ‘have fun with it’ in this post? And, more importantly, any special tips for the time of saving?

Thank you for making such a great blog! The only bad thing is that it’s addictive ;) Vxx

• 40. The Sunday Edition&hellip  |  February 10th, 2013 at 4:03 am

[...] love nothing more than getting my girls together–especially if there’s food involved. This Single Ladies Brunch from Design Love Fest is too [...]

• 41. Love Is In The Air:: | Po&hellip  |  February 11th, 2013 at 4:02 am

[...] have a few ideas for you too! Buy yourself a few sweet gifts, treat yourself to a spa day or host a Valentine’s Day Brunch for your girlfriends. I’m planning to do all of that myself, just in case he ignores my [...]

• 42. Katie McC  |  February 11th, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I love your Hello sweatshirt! I just spotted their online store from Casey Weigand’s blog and fell in love with everything. And that striped long sleeve shirt is super cute to. =)

• 43. Valentine’s Day Soi&hellip  |  February 13th, 2013 at 12:01 am

[...] 1. Rue Magazine // 2. Design Love Fest’s Single Ladies Brunch // 3. Rue Magazine // 4. 100 Layer Cake // 5. The Everygirl // 6. Ruffled’s Hipster [...]

• 44. Valentine’s Day Gir&hellip  |  February 13th, 2013 at 9:23 am

[...] | Drink: Paloma Cocktail | Give: cross my heart bobbi, stackable rings | Eat: Cheesecake brownies, Breakfast for dinner, [...]

• 45. Five Faves: ValentineR&hellip  |  February 13th, 2013 at 5:14 pm

[...] chai tea by becaumse i’m addicted  |  3. daily dishonesty by lauren nicole hom  |  4. waffle heart sandwiches by designlovefest  |  5. d’orsay flats by forever21 Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first [...]

• 46. Valentine's Day Link&hellip  |  February 17th, 2013 at 8:13 am

[...] Taking a break from this whole relationship thing? Have a Single Ladies Brunch! It’s at least as good as the candlelight dinner with Prince [...]

• 47. obsessed // glassware + b&hellip  |  May 8th, 2013 at 12:37 pm

[...] (image source) [...]

• 48. Decorator in a Box&hellip  |  May 10th, 2013 at 5:50 am

[...] #5 Create or enjoy Mother’s Day Brunch. via design love fest [...]

• 49. singles chat line&hellip  |  October 2nd, 2013 at 3:34 pm

singles chat line

SINGLE LADIES VALENTINE’S DAY BRUNCH | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 50. blogspot.com  |  December 17th, 2013 at 5:06 am

Hey there would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re working with?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

• 51. vigrx reviews pictures  |  February 17th, 2014 at 11:12 am

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s
    the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• 52. Vigrx Or Vigrx Plus Review  |  July 24th, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your
    stuff previous to and you are just extremely
    wonderful. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are
    stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and
    you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant
    wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific website.

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg