MY FAVORITE HIP HOTELS!
this year i have realized how interested i am in hotels. i love critiquing their soap packaging, or their room key design. i am always curious about what kind of snacks they offer, or the furniture they put in the rooms. i find myself reading their menus and checking for robe comfort. after traveling to 3 countries and multiple cities last year, those special details really stand out to me now. i spend a great deal of time doing research on where we should stay…it’s become sort of a hobby for me (who knows, maybe it will be a career someday!)
i used to be the kind of gal that didn’t want to splurge on a hotel room. i figured i was barely IN the room, i wanted to be out exploring, so i was not going to spend over 200 dollars just to sleep in a room. then i started teaching blogshop and boy have things changed. most of the time after we get done teaching we are so exhausted, we eat dinner and head back to the rooms and work on our laptops. we are on crazy schedules (waking up at 5:30am in NY, which is 2:30am for us back in LA, or teaching 4 classes in a row) so it’s very important to us to feel comfortable in our hotel room. both of us are workaholics and don’t get great sleep, so we finally made a pact that we would book nicer hotels from now on. (in the beginning, we were sleeping on friend’s couches. which was fun, but definitely not the best night’s sleep)
here are a few of my favorite hotels along the way! they would all make awesome vacation spots…
1. hotel st. cecelia – i gotta say, this was one of my most memorable hotel experiences. we stayed in one of the bungalows and every last detail was fantastic. it felt like you were sleeping in a luxury treehouse with a living room complete with a velvet couch. the beds were heavenly. the pool had this big neon sign (see here) and even the room keys were rad. plus, you could walk to south congress for tons of restaurants and bars.
2. the wythe hotel – i am writing this post from that bed up there. holy cow this room is special. we asked for the corner room (always ASK at places because a lot of the times they have it available and can switch you into it for free) and the views are spectacular. the walls are brick, the ceiling is wood, and the bathroom is white subway tile. classy stuff. the rooftop bar is stunning. the whole place just has a very cool vibe. it’s not the most “warm and cozy” place…but that’s alright with me.
3. the cullen – we stayed here for over a week and felt so at home. the room was actually split in two so angela and i both had beds separated by a divider which made it feel like we had our own rooms. i still remember not ever wanting to get out of that bed. they had amazing packaging on their soaps (i may have taken a couple as a souvenir) a wonderful staff, and rooms full of quirk (like this donkey on the glass.) the hotel restaurant was also quite good!
4. the hoxton – this hotel is actually really affordable for what you get. it’s a great location in shoreditch, happening vibe, and modern design. you get this adorable breakfast shown above delivered to your doorstep every morning (little things like that sure make you remember a place, huh?) we are headed back to teach in london next month and already booked our room again. also, it’s sure nice when you walk into a hotel and can connect to fast wifi with no password or charges. they do things right here.
5. the viceroy – preeeeety glamorous, this one. if you are coming to LA for a vacation, i really like this spot. the colors are fantastic, the pool will make you feel fancy, and it’s near the beach. maybe this is where you will book for an anniversary or something special…
also, the ace hotel is always a good choice if you want stylish and not a million dollars, we have heard great things about the jane hotel in new york and are going to try it out when we go back to teach in may.
we are headed to spain & paris next month for vacation and i booked these two apartments (here and here) to switch it up this time. i’m crossing my fingers that they are as great as the photos & reviews! i really love sharing my hotel experiences either on the blog or over on instagram, hopefully you enjoy following along and making notes about your future travel plans!
(all photos by: designlovefest instagram)