02.28.13

BENEFIT COSMETICS / DREAM JOB 02

i can’t be the only girl out there secretly wishing she was a detective. i have always been completely fascinated by crime shows & mystery (and i watched this mary-kate and ashley detective series 100 times as a kid…solvin crime by dinner time!) although i think i am too much of a chicken to actually be a successful detective. but luckily benefit let me dress up as one for the day…

out of the four looks, this is definitely my go-to makeup favorite! can’t go wrong with a cat eye and i have been a fan of the benefit mascara for years and years.

shop the benefit look: jet-black liquid eyeliner, lipstick (shade: pillow talk), mascara, hoola bronzing powder & high beam complexion enhancer

trench coat, vintage scarf, a single curl on top…and we knew we needed an old mercedes to complete this look…it definitely did the trick. one day i want to own a car like this!

it’s crazy when you are all dressed up on set how you can really feel the part. but i guess a smoke machine can make everything a little surreal. i had to walk through a tunnel in echo park over and over through the smoke, and we didn’t really realize it was all coming out the other end and there were tons of people crowded around thinking there was a fire. oops.

finally, i have lived out my nancy drew dreams. two more coming up next week! which makeup look would you wear more, this one or the jazz singer?

partnership: benefit cosmetics and designlovefest
photography by:
 angela+ithyle
styling by: sarah and sunshine
hair by: nicole gehweiler
makeup by: rachel desimone

see the past looks here!

• 1. Chloe Moon  |  February 28th, 2013 at 5:25 am

I think this is my favorite series you’ve done! Of course I wanted to be a detective too when I was little!! I would watch reruns of Dragnet and I think Harriet the Spy came out when I was younger! =)

Beautiful pictures!! I just love your trench coat!!

• 2. Sally  |  February 28th, 2013 at 5:32 am

What a fun shoot, that last photo is amazing! Love the look too, benefit make up is my fave!

• 3. lucile  |  February 28th, 2013 at 6:11 am

exactly how i pictured it! Gorgeous!
    I wonder what the next job is going to be…
    I think you should be a mermaid..Does that count as a job? hehe

• 4. Kelly  |  February 28th, 2013 at 6:11 am

This is definitely my favorite makeup & dream job so far. I can’t tell you how many times I would pretend I was Nancy Drew. Now matter how many times I searched our house, I still couldn’t find a hidden staircase…

Love this series!

• 5. Miss Drawingdream  |  February 28th, 2013 at 6:18 am

great photos! :) I think I’d pick the detective outfit! :)

Miss Drawingdream

• 6. Laura  |  February 28th, 2013 at 7:16 am

Love it! I totally have always wanted to be a spy, which I think is kinda like being a detective…right? I also second the mermaid suggestion mentioned above. But ok, let’s get one thing straight: YOUR SHOES. Who made them? I’m smitten! Also the scarf. Can you reveal your sources? ;)

• 7. Drew @ Catfish & Caviar  |  February 28th, 2013 at 7:18 am

My favorite. With a wardrobe/makeup like this…I would love to be a detective!

• 8. alison  |  February 28th, 2013 at 7:28 am

You are full on Nancy Drew in these photos, and I love it! When I was little, I was convinced I was going to be her when I grew up!

• 9. Akilah  |  February 28th, 2013 at 8:27 am

I love all of these looks. I, too, was a Mary Kate and Ashley Detective Agency kid. I sometimes add “feed the fish” and “walk clue” to my to-do list as an homage.

Anyway, adore this winged eyeliner and trenchcoat look. Fab darling!

• 10. sue  |  February 28th, 2013 at 8:34 am

such a fabulous series… just brilliant!

• 11. Allywan  |  February 28th, 2013 at 8:59 am

I actually love both shoots, but I’d probably wear the makeup look from this one. You can’t beat a good cat-eye. you just can’t. Also, that smoke shot is MONEY!!

• 12. Brittany H  |  February 28th, 2013 at 9:18 am

Bri + Benefit = slam dunk! Girl, this is such a great idea. Loving the posts and can’t wait to see the next two! (And it’s so true that you can’t beat a cat eye. It’s hard for me not to do it every day…)

• 13. Kat -- Zero the One  |  February 28th, 2013 at 9:19 am

This is tops! Nancy Drew was my gradeschool hero. Detective was my next best dream job (Archeologist came first). You look more than fab here. Wonderful job.
    Kat

• 14. Lauren  |  February 28th, 2013 at 9:28 am

Oooh definitely this one, love it so much!

• 15. Ashley Brokop  |  February 28th, 2013 at 9:39 am

These are fantastic!!! Bri & Angela you are so amazing!!!

• 16. Molly {Dreams in HD}  |  February 28th, 2013 at 9:44 am

i am love love LOVING this series!
    another gorgeous set of photos :)

• 17. alicia  |  February 28th, 2013 at 9:50 am

I love this one. Yesterdays was good but todays is AMAZING! I like this subtle/sophosticated yet playful cateye, the hwoel outfit is amazing.
    And yes, I totally wanted to be a detective when I was little. There was a show called Shirely Holmes (like, great grand daughter of Sherlock Holmes or something), I was a little obsessed.
    These recent style shoots are so awesome, you’re living every little girls dream, literally :)

• 18. Ana  |  February 28th, 2013 at 9:58 am

ok, This is my favorite look so far. Great pictures, and yeah how doesn’t wanted to be detective. Excited what the next looks are!

• 19. Carrie Hampton  |  February 28th, 2013 at 10:02 am

I am completely smitten & in love with this series!! How fun.

The styling, fashion and theme are SO up my alley. Thanks for sharing. LOVE IT.
    XO,
    Carrie
    Lifestylefiles Blog

• 20. Sarah  |  February 28th, 2013 at 10:08 am

I’m loving this whole look, especially the pin curl. They definitely need to come back full boar!

• 21. Juliane  |  February 28th, 2013 at 10:20 am

I’m over the moon in love with this shoot!

• 22. Foley  |  February 28th, 2013 at 10:57 am

The last photo is terrific! It was worth scaring people passing by ;)

• 23. Liliana  |  February 28th, 2013 at 10:58 am

The last picture is amazing!

• 24. Cristina Marie  |  February 28th, 2013 at 11:05 am

Superb!

• 25. LARY@ Inspiration Nook  |  February 28th, 2013 at 11:06 am

My fave by far! Absolutely amazing. If you ever need a sidekick just let me know! :)

• 26. Jude  |  February 28th, 2013 at 11:07 am

Well, I honestly can’t decide which look I like best – I can’t, really! They are both amazing. And I think the “dream job” idea is brilliant, by the way. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

• 27. stephanie @BabaSouk  |  February 28th, 2013 at 11:15 am

Your hairdo is soooo adorable!!

• 28. Kat  |  February 28th, 2013 at 11:24 am

Totally a Mary-Kate and Ashely detective fan girl… I even started my own detective club in grade 2. It makes me happy to hear you were too.

You pull of the look splendidly!

• 29. Kim R Boswell  |  February 28th, 2013 at 11:39 am

This actually IS my job! It’s a little different than a private investigator but I’ve worked with Secret Service and have even sent some bad guys to jail. You really have to have an eye for this stuff, putting together the whole story with little info to work off of. I love it!

• 30. Leigh  |  February 28th, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hahahaha about the fire! The pictures turned out great though! Love that last one! I love detective shows though! They’re fantastic!

• 31. Chick Tyler  |  February 28th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Definitely my favorite! So pretty and creative!

• 32. Leah // Freutcake  |  February 28th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Love this look! That trench and head scarf are so fab.

• 33. Danie at Pasadya  |  February 28th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Ha! Good thing there wasn’t a real fire like they thought! LOVE the insane creativity in these shots. :D

• 34. Kristin B  |  February 28th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Duuude, yes! My BFF and I growing up with even PLAY Olsen & Olsen detective agency. It was our favourite game (and movies!).

x

• 35. Phoebe  |  February 28th, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Modern Day J.B.Fletcher <3

• 36. Allison  |  February 28th, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Love, love, LOVING this series. I think this make-up look would be my go to. But, I am still lusting over your jazz singer dress! Can’t wait for more!! xoxo

• 37. Vicki Archer  |  February 28th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I always wanted to be a detective when I was young, but like you say, I think I would have been too scared to actually do the job!…you look gorgeous in these shots…love the last one!…xv

• 38. August  |  February 28th, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Your photos are always amazing!

But I’m really writing a comment because you like polka dots. I live in Portland and yesterday I bought a 70s pink and white checkered gingham dress from a place called “Time Bomb Vintage”.

Hanging on the wall was an AMAZING black tulle party dress covered in big rainbow polkas!! I asked the woman at the counter if she had listed it on her etsy site so I looked it up and found it. Just thought I’d share the link. :)

• 39. hayley  |  February 28th, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Yes! This is a perfect picture of a modern Nancy Drew! Who knows how many hundreds of hours I spent reading those books as kid… So cute Bri!

• 40. Queen Mother  |  February 28th, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Bri, I gotta tell you when you told the part about the fire, the first thing I thought of was that lady on the news who said, “LORD JESUS, IT’S A FIRE!” hahaha : Great pics, honey, as always. XOXO Mama

• 41. Julia  |  March 1st, 2013 at 10:00 am

When I was a kid, I even had a book about becoming a detective! I jus never imagined I could be such a glamourous detective like you look on theses photos :-)

• 42. Oleah  |  March 1st, 2013 at 12:34 pm

this is so great. i love your photoshoots. i know i’ve always wanted to secretly be a detective. i used to read nancy drew books & wish i was her.

xoxo, Oleah
    xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

• 43. Kayleigh  |  March 1st, 2013 at 7:35 pm

the jazz singer hands down! but the nancy drew look is really adorable as well.

• 44. Favoritos da semana = Thi&hellip  |  March 2nd, 2013 at 9:10 am

[…] Brincar aos detectives nunca foi tão divertido… e […]

• 45. Inge  |  March 3rd, 2013 at 5:39 am

I love this one! I also wanted to be a detective when I was a kid (still do sometimes), but like you I am too much of a chicken for the real deal.

• 46. Link Love on Sunday&hellip  |  March 3rd, 2013 at 6:45 am

[…] ❤ Dream Job Styles: Jazzsinger & Detective […]

• 47. BENEFIT COSMETICS / DREAM&hellip  |  March 5th, 2013 at 9:00 am

[…] week i featured two of my dream jobs with benefit cosmetics (jazz singer & detective) and today is our third look…the florist! i’ve always admired this profession. i love […]

• 48. Lovely lady | the bah! pr&hellip  |  March 6th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

[…] painting I recently worked on. I found these fun images of a Benefit campaign via Design Love Fest here and immediately thought it would be fun to paint one. And that I […]

• 49. Dreaming of Spring «&hellip  |  March 11th, 2013 at 4:11 pm

[…] I really can’t get over how gorgeous these posts […]

• 50. McDesign  |  March 14th, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Hey – I just bought this same model Mercedes – now i can show my daughters it’s cool!

• 51. What’s in my Reader&hellip  |  May 23rd, 2013 at 3:02 pm

[…] DesignLoveFest Category: Graphic Design and Style Favorite Post: Benefit Cosmetics/Dream Job 2: The Detective […]

• 52. rickymartin  |  September 19th, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I reading your blog & I got it you provide wonderful service at any kind of beauty product etc. at affordable prize.

• 53. Cosmetics  |  October 24th, 2013 at 6:53 am

Thank you for info about BENEFIT COSMETICS!!!

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg