WHAT ANNOYS YOU?
someone i know is in marital counseling and they got a pretty interesting piece of advice…
in order to improve the relationship, you have to find out the little things that irritate you about the other person. criticism is definitely not easy to hear, but there are certainly times when we feel more ready to hear something negative about ourselves than other times. so when you are feeling strong, tell your partner that you are ready to hear 1 small thing that irritates them about you. (and maybe throw in one thing you love too) hopefully, knowing these things will bring them to your attention so you can work on them together. men, beware…ladies might say they’re ready to hear it…but i would still tread lightly.
not a lot of things drive me crazy about arian, but over the past year and a half of living together we have found a few that we have admitted to each other…
* he’s annoyed when i leave all my clothes on the ground or my drawers open. (i can be a slob)
* i think he chews too loudly. especially cereal.
* he pointed out that i interrupt sometimes when he is telling a story. (which i really want to fix!)
* i get grossed out when he brushes his teeth – far too much foam for comfort.
* he hates that i leave my computer cord across the living room floor. somehow he is the only one who trips on it?
* he’s always late, i’m always on time. which does drive me a bit nuts.
* i have to sleep with one leg in and one leg out of the blankets. this causes the bed sheets to come untucked (to me, it feels like jail when they are tucked in!) he likes tidy sheets. we’re working on it.
this list makes me laugh. every couple has their own list of funny annoyances. what are some of yours? are you ready to hear your partner’s list?