01.31.13

THE MERCANTILE BRUNCH

i have heard a bunch of people raving about the brunch at the mercantile in hollywood, so we checked it out last weekend. luckily, we had CJ from top chef cooking us up a whole bunch of his favorite dishes for us to try…that dude is talented!

after a rough night, this bloody mary hit the SPOT. i went with the classic american one and it had a lot of kick…they also have bottomless mimosas…which is never a bad thing.

the restaurant has a really open, lofty vibe. it’s the kind of spot you could come with girlfriends and spend two hours eating cheese and chatting. (they are also a wine bar and have a good happy hour!)

my boyfriend has been vegetarian for almost 10 years, and he recently started eating fish. i swear he orders a seafood dish almost every meal now…i guess he was craving new foods after so long without them! the house cured dill salmon with mascarpone and capers was excellent.

they had a duck confit with a scramble on toast that blew my mind.

we tried about 6 or 7 of the items on the list (CJ left us feeling VERY full and happy). i’m not usually a sweets fan in the mornings, but these 5 grain pancakes with berries were legit. next time i am going to have to try the huevos rancheros, i was spying on someone next to me that had them and it looked delicious but i was way too full.

brunch with arian is definitely my favorite weekend activity. across the street from here is actually the building we both worked in together…that’s where we met and this whole thing started. quite the memory lane moment.

The Mercantile
6600 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

shop my look: Joe’s Jeans – Skinny Corduroy Pants, Madewell leopard flats, Gorman sequin shirt, Urban Outfitters striped tank underneath, Urban Outfitters bowler hat, Dream Collective ring.

photos by kimberly genevieve for designlovefest

• 1. Bonnie  |  January 31st, 2013 at 6:15 am

love it!! the photos look so good :) and you look gorgeous! such a cute post!

• 2. Drew @ Catfish & Caviar  |  January 31st, 2013 at 6:22 am

Love these photos! That salmon looks amazingly yummy.

• 3. la domestique  |  January 31st, 2013 at 6:24 am

What a great place! How cool that CJ was there! Oh, and love your hat.

• 4. Kenzie Lee  |  January 31st, 2013 at 7:15 am

This looks like so much fun and the food looked delicious!!

X Kenzie

• 5. Mariel  |  January 31st, 2013 at 7:17 am

The food looks really good! And I love what you’re wearing!(as usual lol)

• 6. Amanda  |  January 31st, 2013 at 8:29 am

I love, love the interior of that space! And the food looks pretty dreamy too!

• 7. Lauren Ashley  |  January 31st, 2013 at 8:48 am

Oh man, looks delicious, and what a beautiful space. CJ is one of my favorites from Top Chef – glad to hear about one of his current projects. Now I’ll be thinking about brunch all day. xo!

• 8. Ashley/Glitter & Pixels  |  January 31st, 2013 at 8:50 am

Love your little captions, sounds about right for me too. Could love on potatoes :)

• 9. Anne  |  January 31st, 2013 at 8:53 am

Gorgeous photos! That food looks to die for!

• 10. Ergo-Blog  |  January 31st, 2013 at 8:54 am

You’ve totally motivated me to go to brunch this weekend with my boyfriend! I have to keep The Mercantile in mind if I’m ever in Hollywood! I remember CJ from Top Chef! The food MUST have been good if it’s his restaurant! Also if they have bottomless mimosas I may have to make it a day event to go there!! =)

• 11. Jenny  |  January 31st, 2013 at 9:37 am

I LOVE getting brunch with my husband! It’s one of the most relaxing things we can do. Thanks for sharing!

• 12. alicia  |  January 31st, 2013 at 9:38 am

those pancakes look amazing! i’m due for a good brunch date.

• 13. Rachel  |  January 31st, 2013 at 10:02 am

I pass by this place every day on my way to work, and lots of other times in between, and every time I make a mental note to check it out, but I still haven’t yet. Thanks for the reminder! About to head out and drive past it right now…=]

• 14. Brianna [observant nomad]  |  January 31st, 2013 at 10:28 am

Love the post! And the ‘shop my look’ idea. It’s small but really smart. Sometimes I want to know exactly where you got those shoes and never know!

• 15. Lo  |  January 31st, 2013 at 10:34 am

Oooh, yum! I love that spot, but have never tried the duck confit scramble. These pictures are beautiful.

• 16. Kate  |  January 31st, 2013 at 10:42 am

I want to go to there. Like NOW.

Great Etsy/Valentines Day giveaway over on my blog…check it out and enter!

Kate

• 17. Jenna @ Grapefruit and Gold  |  January 31st, 2013 at 10:49 am

always so hip!

• 18. Kait  |  January 31st, 2013 at 11:23 am

What a sweet post! Now I want to take my bf there for brunch with me :)

• 19. Kristen  |  January 31st, 2013 at 11:41 am

This place looks great. Def adding it my list of places to try. Those pancakes look legit.

• 20. LARY@ Inspiration Nook  |  January 31st, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Cute post & cute hat :)

• 21. Lauren  |  January 31st, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I love the look of handwritten captions on some of your photos. Do you use a tablet to achieve this look, or do you use handwriting fonts?

• 22. catherine  |  January 31st, 2013 at 1:58 pm

This is a great post! The photos are perfect and inviting (I have got to check this place out) and your writing always nails the moment. Nice nice.

• 23. L. Camille  |  January 31st, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Cute it! I used to work upstairs from there and constantly smelled the lusciousness throughout the day. Must go visit C-Jizzle!
    stay FLYY!

• 24. Bettina  |  January 31st, 2013 at 4:21 pm

What a gorgeous space, the food looks amazing! You and your man are just so dang adorable!

• 25. Jules  |  January 31st, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Brunch is my favorite meal of the day. It’s a good thing I have a day job or I’d be spending all my money and wasting the day away over delicious coffee and pancakes. This place looks delightful!

xoxo,

Jules of Canines & Couture

• 26. rachael  |  January 31st, 2013 at 5:43 pm

these pictures are adorable. y’alls outfits are terrific. who took the photos?

• 27. Latrina  |  January 31st, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I really enjoy these type of blog posts by you Bri! Beautifully written & the photographs are always superb.

You’ve definitely inspired me to head to some of my favorites places here in Sacramento to feature on my blog!

• 28. bri  |  January 31st, 2013 at 6:45 pm

rachael, thanks! kimberly genevieve took the photos.

• 29. Monica  |  January 31st, 2013 at 10:07 pm

So.. CJ is totally adorable, and it looks like he makes a mean brunch menu – dill and salmon is one my my favorites for brunch! pancakes don’t hurt either, as long as there is lots of fresh whipped cream.
    If only I lived in Hollywood…

M.

• 30. Marisa  |  February 1st, 2013 at 11:43 am

How do you keep your Ban.do case so white?! Mine is SO dingy and I don’t know how to clean it! Please help!

• 31. Kristen  |  February 2nd, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Ah i love CJ! I would end up being a total fan girl. only time i’ve watched last chance kitchen.

• 32. Stefanie // Life on the Squares  |  February 4th, 2013 at 5:31 pm

agh that salmon looks soooo tasty! I’m going to blogshop Boston, can’t wait!!

XO, Stefanie
    Life on the Squares

• 33. Pinoy Tambayan&hellip  |  August 20th, 2013 at 9:47 am

WOW! check this out!……

Amazing Post, worth a read……

• 34. Filipino Food&hellip  |  August 20th, 2013 at 11:02 am

Blogs you should be reading……

[...]Here is a great blog you might find Interesting that we encourage you[...]……

• 35. EAT DRINK AMERICANO / DOW&hellip  |  August 21st, 2013 at 10:56 am

[...] MIGHT ALSO LIKE: this brunch spot this downtown store this LA city food [...]

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg