01.23.13

FOOD / 31

my new bar cart is making some good progress. i’ve been stocking up on our booze and purchasing some decanters from etsy (see!) to add to our collection. ginger drinks are my favorite, so i am excited to share jesse’s recipe with you today…cheers!

THE JOHN DENVER
the ingredients

1 inch of pealed fresh ginger
1 slice of orange
1 slice of lemon

2 1/4 ounces bourbon
3/4 ounce ginger simple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 or 2 dashes Angostura bitters

Ginger beer
Lemon peel for garnish

Muddle fresh orange, lemon and ginger slices in shaker bottom.
Add ice, pour ingredients over and sake vigorously.
Serve up and with a twist of lemon or orange.
Top with ginger brew floater.

Ginger simple syrup
Thinly slice about 2-3 inches of peeled ginger.
Add one cup of water to equal parts of fine sugar.
Boil for 5 min and allow to cool.
Strain into bottle of your choice.
If you like the burn add more ginger, if its too hot air on the 1-2 inch side of things.

{ recipe + photos by jesse narducci for designlovefest– want more recipes? go here! }

• 1. Vredenburgje.wordpress.com  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 6:35 am

I wish I could taste it through the computer! Looks good, can’t wait to try this one myself.

Love,
    Vredenburg

• 2. Molly {Dreams in HD}  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 7:00 am

sounds delish!

• 3. Ergo-Blog  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 7:19 am

This post makes me want to work on my bartending skills! Sounds delicious! I love bar carts!

• 4. Amber  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 7:37 am

Hi bri!

what a cool post! i didn’t know you had a bar cart, but it sounds awesome. the ginger simple syrup recipe sounds amazing… definitely a must for winter drinks! yum :)

hope you’re enjoying your day, dear!
    xx. amber

• 5. Lemon Stripes Blog  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 9:34 am

looks delicious! thank you for the inspiration as usual!

• 6. Sarah  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 11:06 am

We made a ginger cocktail on our wedding! The secret ingredient was rhubarb syrup (made by cooking down rhubarb with a lot of sugar), vodka, ginger beer, and a squeeze of lime. They were tasty and refreshing for our early summer nuptuals. I’ll share the exact recipe on my own blog soon!

• 7. la domestique  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 12:52 pm

So fun! I’ve been on a ginger kick lately, so I’ll definitely give this drink a try. Cheers!

• 8. Bettina  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 4:48 pm

oooo this one sounds delish! Ginger is always a good option!

• 9. Alexa Sonken {The Wedding Collection}  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 6:50 pm

LOVE those decanters!

• 10. Jaclyn  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 11:13 pm

That sounds good! I’ve been trying to find a good bourbon drink so I think I’ll test this one out soon.

Stay in the Lines

• 11. Lexi {Whisk It}  |  January 24th, 2013 at 12:00 am

I think its about time I invest in a bar cart and start stocking it up! This sounds super delicious! I will have to try it next time I have people over. Yum.

• 12. Leigh  |  January 24th, 2013 at 9:02 am

Oh yum!!!!!!!!!! Too bad I’m not drinking right now :(

• 13. Kaylee  |  January 24th, 2013 at 9:26 am

i’m definitely making this drink soon! about how long does that simple syrup last, and should it be refrigerated?

• 14. Anonymous  |  January 24th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I have to say I love those glasses!!!! : )

• 15. k-lee  |  January 24th, 2013 at 2:21 pm

is this recipe for one drink? is there a reason you measured in teaspoons for the juices instead of in ounces?

i usually pair ginger and lime together (a match made in heaven!) so am excited to try it with orange juice!

• 16. Jan DeLaVega  |  February 17th, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Why is the drink call the John Denver?

photo X9A3191-edit_zps661cdbcb.jpg