12.14.12

MAKE IT / 27

a few weeks ago we made a bright leather clutch (see here!) and we had all sorts of scraps left over from the project. we couldn’t see them go to waste…so we made our keychains beautiful. here’s how you can too…

what you’ll need:

• leather or vinyl scraps
• heavy duty scissors
• ruler
• multi surface marking pencil
• fabric glue that is listed for use with leather
• binder clip
• 1 1/2 inch split ring

the steps: (follow the animation above)

• measure out the following rectangles on your leather scraps:
1 3/4 x 8 1/2 inches (x1)
1/2 x 8 1/2 inches (x2)
1/8 x 5 inches (x1)

* it’s easiest if you can measure them out all next to each other, but sometimes when working with scraps we find you may just have to shift them around to fit them all. either way, the end results are the same

• cut out and set aside the 5 inch skinny piece for later.
• on the three 8 1/2 long pieces measure and mark a line 3 inches from the ends of on both sides of all the pieces.
• now measure and mark in 1/4 increments across the boxes drawn on either sides, these will be the fringy part of the tassel.
• cut along the drawn lines to cut the pieces apart and create the fringe.

• stack the 2 thinner pieces on top of each other and then in the middle of the largest leather piece.
• carefully fold one side over the other and secure with a nice, neat line of glue.
• clip and let dry.

• find your skinny piece that you had set aside and glue it across the fold, right where the fringe and solid part of the leather meet. let dry.
•  slip the leather through the split ring.
• drop a little dab of glue just above the skinny piece fold in half and hold together so that the glue begins to grip.
• lastly, wrap the skinny piece around the whole tassel and secure with glue.

boom, gifts for all of your friends and co-workers

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

Kenzie Lee says:

What a great craft! Can’t wait to try it out!

xo, Kenzie

Making these this weekend! Perfect idea for little Christmas gifts!

Jyoti says:

This is a super cute idea, I’ll definitely be trying it out. Hopefully, it looks as good as yours! Love the colors you used too.

Elizabeth says:

I always love seeing what you come up with. You’re so creative!

Cheers, Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

Chloe Moon says:

How easy this looks & beautiful!! =)

Ergo – Blog

I love those blues! I will definitely have to try this out, so cute to attach to a zipper too!

Bettina says:

Love this DIY, seems so simple and they’re so incredibly useful!

LOVE these! I think I’m making a few for me too!

Holli Anne says:

What a perfect keychain! My fiance thinks I’m nuts because I only carry my keys one at a time: Car and House. It’s pretty ridiculous, and I do lose them ALL the time. Maybe this will inspire me to make a keychain!

Amber says:

this is adorable. great diy, and perfect for gifts, of course!

Jessie says:

Love this – I have been eyeing one of these to buy, now I can just make it!

i love those! they are adorable and look super easy to make…the perfect gift.

Abigail Bobo says:

Ahh! so cute. I’ll have to make one soon!

Vanessa says:

Love this AND the preceding clutch DIY!

jaclyn says:

I need a new keychain and I’ve been trying to find an inexpensive one. I can’t beat a free version so I’m definitely making one of these!

Mercedes says:

wauw that looks really great, love it!

Lisette says:

Love this. Thanks for sharing.

Nikki says:

Luvly idea… tq 🙂

Pingback: Shirt World Blog
    hanna says:

where do you suggest getting leather from? love this!

Tassels are one of my favorite things. Thanks for sharing. Definitely pinning this to keep for the future!

Its such as you read my mind! You seem to understand
    so much approximately this, such as you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you just can do with some p.c. to force the message home a bit, however instead of that,
    this is fantastic blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly
    be back.

my web-site; _____ ____ fendi __

Erin says:

hi! love this DIY project! where did you purchase your leather from? was it local or online?

I have an old leather fanny pack that I’ve been looking around for a way to remake it into something else. This is a fabulous idea that I’ll definately be trying out.

I have got browse through great number of personal blogs together with completed many websites,but your work is without a doubt magnificent.Hats off for your personal persistence . and honesty.Do retain us all stated to in future as well.

gzdigmsew says:

tnzccqfpfe says:

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T ? MAKE IT / 27
    tnzccqfpfe http://www.g5ezro9x82qb99o3s8mz62q8n97xx273s.org/
    atnzccqfpfe
    [url=http://www.g5ezro9x82qb99o3s8mz62q8n97xx273s.org/]utnzccqfpfe[/url]

Gerardo says:

Appreciating the time and energy you put into your blog and in depth informatin you provide.
    It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material.
    Excellent read! I’ve bookmarked youur site and I’m including
    your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Here is my site: escorts in Dallas (Gerardo)

Jenelle says:

I thought I’d have to read a book for a direovcsy like this!