MAKE IT / 27
a few weeks ago we made a bright leather clutch (see here!) and we had all sorts of scraps left over from the project. we couldn’t see them go to waste…so we made our keychains beautiful. here’s how you can too…
what you’ll need:
• leather or vinyl scraps
• heavy duty scissors
• multi surface marking pencil
• fabric glue that is listed for use with leather
• binder clip
• 1 1/2 inch split ring
the steps: (follow the animation above)
• measure out the following rectangles on your leather scraps:
1 3/4 x 8 1/2 inches (x1)
1/2 x 8 1/2 inches (x2)
1/8 x 5 inches (x1)
* it’s easiest if you can measure them out all next to each other, but sometimes when working with scraps we find you may just have to shift them around to fit them all. either way, the end results are the same
• cut out and set aside the 5 inch skinny piece for later.
• on the three 8 1/2 long pieces measure and mark a line 3 inches from the ends of on both sides of all the pieces.
• now measure and mark in 1/4 increments across the boxes drawn on either sides, these will be the fringy part of the tassel.
• cut along the drawn lines to cut the pieces apart and create the fringe.
• stack the 2 thinner pieces on top of each other and then in the middle of the largest leather piece.
• carefully fold one side over the other and secure with a nice, neat line of glue.
• clip and let dry.
• find your skinny piece that you had set aside and glue it across the fold, right where the fringe and solid part of the leather meet. let dry.
• slip the leather through the split ring.
• drop a little dab of glue just above the skinny piece fold in half and hold together so that the glue begins to grip.
• lastly, wrap the skinny piece around the whole tassel and secure with glue.
boom, gifts for all of your friends and co-workers