12.14.12

MAKE IT / 27

a few weeks ago we made a bright leather clutch (see here!) and we had all sorts of scraps left over from the project. we couldn’t see them go to waste…so we made our keychains beautiful. here’s how you can too…

what you’ll need:

• leather or vinyl scraps
• heavy duty scissors
• ruler
• multi surface marking pencil
• fabric glue that is listed for use with leather
• binder clip
• 1 1/2 inch split ring

the steps: (follow the animation above)

• measure out the following rectangles on your leather scraps:
1 3/4 x 8 1/2 inches (x1)
1/2 x 8 1/2 inches (x2)
1/8 x 5 inches (x1)

* it’s easiest if you can measure them out all next to each other, but sometimes when working with scraps we find you may just have to shift them around to fit them all. either way, the end results are the same

• cut out and set aside the 5 inch skinny piece for later.
• on the three 8 1/2 long pieces measure and mark a line 3 inches from the ends of on both sides of all the pieces.
• now measure and mark in 1/4 increments across the boxes drawn on either sides, these will be the fringy part of the tassel.
• cut along the drawn lines to cut the pieces apart and create the fringe.

• stack the 2 thinner pieces on top of each other and then in the middle of the largest leather piece.
• carefully fold one side over the other and secure with a nice, neat line of glue.
• clip and let dry.

• find your skinny piece that you had set aside and glue it across the fold, right where the fringe and solid part of the leather meet. let dry.
•  slip the leather through the split ring.
• drop a little dab of glue just above the skinny piece fold in half and hold together so that the glue begins to grip.
• lastly, wrap the skinny piece around the whole tassel and secure with glue.

boom, gifts for all of your friends and co-workers

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

• 1. Kenzie Lee  |  December 14th, 2012 at 7:01 am

What a great craft! Can’t wait to try it out!

xo, Kenzie

• 2. Drew @ Catfish & Caviar  |  December 14th, 2012 at 7:15 am

Making these this weekend! Perfect idea for little Christmas gifts!

• 3. Jyoti  |  December 14th, 2012 at 8:33 am

This is a super cute idea, I’ll definitely be trying it out. Hopefully, it looks as good as yours! Love the colors you used too.

• 4. Elizabeth  |  December 14th, 2012 at 8:54 am

I always love seeing what you come up with. You’re so creative!

Cheers, Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

• 5. Chloe Moon  |  December 14th, 2012 at 8:57 am

How easy this looks & beautiful!! =)

Ergo – Blog

• 6. Ashley/Glitter & Pixels  |  December 14th, 2012 at 9:58 am

I love those blues! I will definitely have to try this out, so cute to attach to a zipper too!

• 7. Bettina  |  December 14th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Love this DIY, seems so simple and they’re so incredibly useful!

• 8. Lindsay Rondo  |  December 14th, 2012 at 2:18 pm

LOVE these! I think I’m making a few for me too!

• 9. Holli Anne  |  December 14th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

What a perfect keychain! My fiance thinks I’m nuts because I only carry my keys one at a time: Car and House. It’s pretty ridiculous, and I do lose them ALL the time. Maybe this will inspire me to make a keychain!

• 10. Amber  |  December 15th, 2012 at 8:46 pm

this is adorable. great diy, and perfect for gifts, of course!

• 11. kristina  |  December 16th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

i LOVE these.

• 12. Jessie  |  December 16th, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Love this – I have been eyeing one of these to buy, now I can just make it!

• 13. Molly {Dreams in HD}  |  December 17th, 2012 at 7:39 am

i love those! they are adorable and look super easy to make…the perfect gift.

• 14. Abigail Bobo  |  December 17th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Ahh! so cute. I’ll have to make one soon!

• 15. Vanessa  |  December 17th, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Love this AND the preceding clutch DIY!

• 16. jaclyn  |  December 17th, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I need a new keychain and I’ve been trying to find an inexpensive one. I can’t beat a free version so I’m definitely making one of these!

• 17. Mercedes  |  December 18th, 2012 at 4:43 am

wauw that looks really great, love it!

• 18. Lisette  |  December 19th, 2012 at 12:27 am

Love this. Thanks for sharing.

• 19. Nikki  |  December 19th, 2012 at 12:29 am

Luvly idea… tq :)

• 20. Do It Yourself Project Id&hellip  |  December 20th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

[...] LEATHER LAPTOP CASE DIY, Oh Happy Day; FREE COLOR BLOCK GIFT TAG PRINATBLES, Eat Drink Chic; LEATHER KEYCHAINS DIY, Design Love Fest; DIY HOLIDAY GIFT WRAP, Honestly…WTF; POLKA DOT GLOVED DIY, Ann-Marie [...]

• 21. 10 things [k photo] | for&hellip  |  December 22nd, 2012 at 4:01 am

[...] that caught my eye recently was one put up by the lovely, Bri Emery of designlovefest. She put up a make it – blog post about leather keychains. I think this is such a cute little gift idea. I love that leather is coming back in style and what [...]

• 22. Regalos: un llavero en pi&hellip  |  December 22nd, 2012 at 10:18 am

[...] y porque inviertes tu tiempo pensando en la otra persona. Hoy os enseñamos este tutorial de Design Love Fest para hacer un llavero en [...]

• 23. Shirt World Blog&hellip  |  December 30th, 2012 at 5:10 am

One Piece Key Chains…

[...] ndly here on the web, you see. It’s all about spreading the love. Ok, enough s [...]…

• 24. DIY Keychain | designcake&hellip  |  January 11th, 2013 at 2:53 pm

[...] Instruções [...]

• 25. hanna  |  January 17th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

where do you suggest getting leather from? love this!

• 26. caroline @ c.w.frosting  |  February 12th, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Tassels are one of my favorite things. Thanks for sharing. Definitely pinning this to keep for the future!

• 27. Polly's Picks: 45 BE&hellip  |  March 1st, 2013 at 8:45 am

[...] 7.  Make a super cute key chain for that extra house key with this tutorial:  http://www.designlovefest.com/2012/12/make-it-27/ [...]

• 28. Personalize Your Keys Wit&hellip  |  August 12th, 2013 at 2:31 am

[...] For this particular project you’ll need leather of vinyl straps, scissors, a ruler, a pencil, fabric glue and a binder clip. Measure and cut out three triangles as shown in the instructions. Mark a line 3’’ from the ends on both sides of all the pieces and then cut to make the fringe. Stack 2 thinner pieces on top of each other and in the middle of the largest piece and fold one side over the other. Secure it with glue and clip. Then glue the thin piece across the fold.{found on designlovefest}. [...]

• 29. 10 FAVORITE DIY PROJECTS &hellip  |  August 27th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

[...] painted shelves 3. geometric camera straps 4. birthday crowns 5. custom shower curtain 6. leather keychain tassles 7. polkadot umbrellas 8. peacock chair before & after makeover 9. painted picnic blanket 10. [...]

• 30. _____ ____ fendi __  |  November 4th, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Its such as you read my mind! You seem to understand
    so much approximately this, such as you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you just can do with some p.c. to force the message home a bit, however instead of that,
    this is fantastic blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly
    be back.

my web-site; _____ ____ fendi __

• 31. Erin  |  January 21st, 2014 at 3:03 pm

hi! love this DIY project! where did you purchase your leather from? was it local or online?

LOVE THIS SKIRT…