12.31.12

IT IS 2013 TOMORROW

i always like looking back on my old new year’s goals. i am pretty stoked about 2013…new possibilities…new beginnings (will post about that soon!)…new cities to explore…new artists to tell you all about…new friendships. but hopefully a lot stays the same as well, because i am a creature of habit. and i liked 2012.

1. even though i have been traveling like a crazy person, i have barely had any actual down time travel. my hope is to head to spain in march with just arian and explore. barcelona, here we come. (your suggestions are definitely welcome!)

2. this year i want to take new risks with my business. the pyscho saver in me holds me back a bit here, but i realize i need to keep investing money into both of my businesses in order to see them grow. even if that’s scary. this means spending money on photo shoots, marketing, new ideas and blog content and maybe even new employees?

3. and while we are on the $$ goals. i need to be a million times more organized when it comes to this. i am starting out 2013 with quickbooks all set up and i have promised myself to be much more serious about this. taxes time should NOT be as stressful as it is. time to clean it all up.

4. i have gotten into the habit of eating out at restaurants almost every meal. crazy, i know. with the travel it’s been hard to keep up with the grocery store…i end up buying food that all goes bad before i can even eat it. this year, more home cooked meals. after all, i love cooking and i love cooking for arian even more. even if they are weird concoctions.

5. we are buying a bar cart and i really want to learn how to make fancy cocktails! this makers mark and ginger ale we make all the time at home is good and all…but it’s time to step it up…like this one.

6. this one is pretty cliche, but i am sure you can relate. i need to make more time for phone catch ups with friends. in LA, it seems like if you live on the other side of town, then you might as well live on the other side of the country. friendships can slip away so easily if you don’t prioritize them. i don’t want that happening this year. we all need to pick up the phone.

7. it seems like it takes months (or even years) to get settled into a home. i am always moving before it’s done. our goal this year is to really finish this house (hang all the art, clean out the junk in the corners, organize the office) we really like it there and want it to be a place we feel comfortable in for quite a while. i am planning a photo shoot of the house this month, i am excited to share soon!

8. i am so stuck on shooting photos with my phone. it’s faster, more convenient and my canon doesn’t give me the “rise” filter right away. know what i mean, instagrammers? but i have grown to really love photography and just want to make the effort to learn more about what all those crazy numbers on my camera mean. arian and i always end up bickering when he tries to teach me because i find it pretty confusing to get the photos to look how i want them to turn out. bratty, i know. we will see if i can stick to this one.

9. work on my classic dad issues. kidding. kind of.

10. with blogshop taking over my time these days, i have felt distracted. i’ve been feeling the need to bring the focus back to this blog. this place is my #1. i want to explore new ideas, interesting content, amazing DIYs, strange style posts…i’m still not tired of blogging. not one little bit. i wonder when that will happen?

what are some of your goals, if you don’t mind sharing? i always love reading through your comments. happy new years, friends! -bri

(original balloon photo: jen gotch, poster by designlovefest)

• 1. Mirka  |  December 31st, 2012 at 10:46 am

I hope you had an amazing 2012, and that your 2013 will be even better!
    I actually shared a list of my 2013 goals yesterday on my blog So far I have 35 points – it’s getting pretty extensive :)

• 2. Sharon  |  December 31st, 2012 at 10:49 am

Nice! Mine are along the lines of… take care of my body, learn how to manage stress better, be more initiative with things I’ve been thinking about doing (like starting a print shop), and not bring afraid to pursue what I want, even if it’s “inconvenient” because of my habits. And as you, bring more organized!!

• 3. Bettina  |  December 31st, 2012 at 10:50 am

These sound look amazing and honest goals for 2013! I hope you stick to them :)

Have a lovely NYE! Can’t wait to see what’s in store for your blog in 2013!

• 4. Mailinh  |  December 31st, 2012 at 10:51 am

Happy 2013! Sounds like 2012 was a great year for you and can’t wait to see what 2013 has in store for you.

My main goal is to better myself as an ESL instructor, photographer, and a person as a whole. I want to challenge myself more and take more risks. I want to take my ideas/dreams and make ‘em happen. And like you, I need to travel more as well (my last real vacation was in 2005).

Here’s to 2013!!!

• 5. la domestique  |  December 31st, 2012 at 11:11 am

Happy New Year! I can totally identify with several of your goals. This year I’m going to do a great job being organized with my freelancing finances. Also, I currently do all of my photography in my studio, and one goal for 2012 is to get out in the field and shoot more so I can grow. It’s going to be a fantastic year!

• 6. Cathie  |  December 31st, 2012 at 11:19 am

Happy New Year!!
    After discovering your blog earlier in the year and being completely blown away by its content, I have decided to stop putting things off. In 2013 I am going to take the leap, become a freelance designer and start my own blog!! Thank you for being an inspiration and a great source of advice.
    I also have decided to take a 365 day photo challenge to focus on photography, making it a bigger mart of my everyday life.
    I hope 2013 is everything you want it to be and more!

• 7. Beth  |  December 31st, 2012 at 11:27 am

I love your goals and your honesty! It’s nice to hear that someone as successful as you, still has room to improve. :) This year I’d like to work out all of the kinks in my online vintage shop, like a better checkout, photos of the garments on a model and drop down menus for product categories. I’d also like to continue to work on my photography and photoshop skills, I just got a new lens and a wacom tablet! Consistent, quality blog posts is always something I’m striving towards too. This year I’d like to have more “How to Wear Vintage” and “Vintage Care & Repair” posts. Some loftier goals include hiring an additional employee and paying myself more, we’ll see what I can do. I hope it’s a lovely year for you!

• 8. Rebekah  |  December 31st, 2012 at 11:31 am

I’m finding myself more excited about career goals then personal goals for the past few NY, I think that’s a good thing! Definitely hear you on the Quicken, there’s even an app! Following dreams, educating myself (Illustrator class please! Need to round out a full graphic design degree ala blogshop!), more fun styled shoots and collaborations for sure, oh and blogging of coursem oops. Can’t wait to see what all 2013 brings you!

• 9. Jessica Weliwitigoda  |  December 31st, 2012 at 11:31 am

Regarding Spain – you MUST visit Sitges, which is a 45 minute train ride south of Barcelona on the Mediterranean. You should actually spend a few days there. Beautiful beaches, shops, restaurants, etc.

• 10. Hilary  |  December 31st, 2012 at 11:33 am

i have a gazillion. adventure more & start a blog are on the top of my list! i draw so much inspiration from yours, Bri, and i hope to create a space that’s all my own. can’t wait for this new year to start!! xo.

• 11. Amanda @ The Domestic Plate  |  December 31st, 2012 at 11:35 am

Happy New Year! I share some of your goals for the new year, particularly catching up with all my friends. I’ve also made the resolution to focus more on my personal design work (possibly start a business) and my blog.
    I’ve enjoyed seeing all the inspiring things on your blog this year and look forward to more in 2013!

• 12. Kate  |  December 31st, 2012 at 11:58 am

If you’re going all the way to Spain, stop in Madrid too! It’s one of my very favorite cities, and there’s fantastic food. I can’t wait to see your travel guide for THAT vacation ;)

• 13. Leigh  |  December 31st, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Last year I made a New Year’s resolution to cook one meal a week. It was the best idea ever! By the end of the year I found myself not struggling to fit in the cooking time, but I was sometimes actually cooking more than once a week!
    Also I lived in Sevilla for 4 months! I highly suggest it if you want to go south for a while :)
    Happy New Year!

• 14. Daniela  |  December 31st, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Happy 2013! You’re a great girlie and a great blogger – I’m sure you’ll get everything done on that list! And I personally adore the holiday destinations you always have. I’ve got family over in Mexico and a bunch in Spain too. Some used to live in Barcelona, but they moved to another part of Spain. I actually lived around 2 hours away from Barcelona for 3 years! Barcelona’s a great place: you’ll have plenty of fun. :) xo, Dani

• 15. Daniela  |  December 31st, 2012 at 1:26 pm

P.S. Woops! That 3 was meant to be a 7!!

• 16. Jone  |  December 31st, 2012 at 1:39 pm

You’re coming to Spain?!? That’s so cool! You’ll be surprised for sure! Don’t miss the Antoni Tàpies Fundation Museum, you’ll love his super sized hand drawn posters. Drop me a line if you need any tips on Barna (that’s how we call the city). Big fan! All the best for 2013!

• 17. Alecia Zasiebida  |  December 31st, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Happy 2013 Bri and fellow readers! So many changes are happening for me this year (starting a business and a new job). I am making it a goal to really push myself out of my comfort zone with new design ideas. Cheers everyone, I hope this year is a great one for us all!

• 18. joana | myseastory  |  December 31st, 2012 at 1:58 pm

i can totally relate to photography vs instagram issue :)

• 19. Claudia Bravo  |  December 31st, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I want to start a pen pal in 2013! Maybe even more than one! It’s something I’ve never done and enjoy connecting with others. Maybe this is something you’d enjoy doing in 2013? Have a lovely day Bree!

• 20. Shayna - SteelPetalPress  |  December 31st, 2012 at 2:05 pm

You HAVE to sign up for OUTRIGHT.com to help with your finances and taxes next year. It’s free. It works. It’s super simple.

• 21. Elizabeth  |  December 31st, 2012 at 2:20 pm

The new year rather snuck up on me. Guess I need to get my goals in order!

Cheers, Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

• 22. quieroposh  |  December 31st, 2012 at 2:23 pm

hi bri! i lived over a year on barcelona, and stefan from theapt.com compiled this tumblr http://theaptbarcelona.tumblr.com with plenty of my suggestions on where to go/visit/eat/must-see throughout the city.

i also recommend you check out http://barcelona.lecool.com/ which is a weekly calendar with events, recommendations to new shops, restaurants, etc. they also edited a city guide which is pretty awesome too http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Changed-Life-Wonderful-Barcelona/dp/1905548222

hope this helps! if you need any more tips, do mail me or tweet me. xoxo!

• 23. Kenzie Lee  |  December 31st, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Great goals! I m starting off the year by testing out whole 30!

Here’s to a healthy and happy 2013! Hope you have a blast tonight!

x Kenzie

• 24. Seri  |  January 1st, 2013 at 7:47 am

Hey girl!
    Great goals! I love reading through others’ goals! It makes me think about my resolutions! Setting goals is always inspiring, right?
    Anywaysss I’m sticking with your #9 this year. I have “classic dad issues”, too. It’s nice to know you’re not alone in this and other people do have, well, not so great times in their lifes, too. We can make it, whatever it is!
    2013 is going to be great :)
    Love,
    Seri.

• 25. A Lavender Sea  |  January 1st, 2013 at 8:08 am

I’ve been living in Barcelona for the past 4 months and it’s such a wonderful city!! I could probably write a whole encyclopedia filled with places to go and shops to check out. However, due to your obvious love for vintage clothing, I think you’d like this street in the Raval district called Riera Baixa that has ALL vintage boutiques; my favorite is called Motel. There’s another vintage boutique on Provenza called Magnolia Antic that is SO unique and the other stores along that street are fun too. One of my favorite things about the shopping in Barcelona is that there are tons of boutiques with shoes, bags, etc. that are handmade in Spain. You can find some really special handmade items in boutiques in the Born district or in the alleys off of Las Ramblas (where one of my favorite shops, Kokua, is). If you do come to Spain, I hope you have a wonderful time!! And if you’re in need of any more specific suggestions, I have a box full of business cards to my favorite boutiques all over Barcelona.
    Tessa Lynn

• 26. Inge  |  January 1st, 2013 at 8:35 am

Happy new year! I love reading everyone’s goals for the new year. I will share mine on my blog too, but the biggest ones are -just do it- (even though it scary) and -let go-. Here’s to a wonderful new year!

• 27. ladynoble  |  January 1st, 2013 at 10:28 am

Great goals, especially the building friendship one – I totally hear you and need to work on that this year as well. It is good to write out and post goals, keeps one held accountable! I’m focusing on my art this year and forward. The big 3.0. is tomorrow and I want to spend this year getting published, hosting artwork for a gallery night, co-op art projects with all of my talented pals and increasing my money management of sold artwork & design. Life is good, and it is LUCKY 13 – let’s tear this shit up!

• 28. Melanie  |  January 1st, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Man I have so much I want to get done ALL. THE. TIME. Normally I’m not one for new year’s resolutions, but this year I’m making an exception because I really need to start managing my money better. I just want to start managing life better actually. Keeping balance with friends and design work and love work. That sorta thing : )

Loved reading your goals!

• 29. Chloe Moon  |  January 1st, 2013 at 6:34 pm

You are so motivating!! I want to try and eat home more too, because my food goes bad because I eat out too much, I want to build my blog into more of who “I” am and keep it as original as I can. I would LOVE to hear about your bar cart future adventures. There is something so cool about mixing wonderful drinks! I need quickbooks…that is such a good idea for saving money. My excel sheet I keep isn’t good enough! hehe.

Some of my goals is to save 10,000, shop quality over quantity, embrace more DIY’s, and eat less processed foods.

Best wishes in the New Year!! Enjoy your future exploring to Spain too!! =)

Ergo-Blog

• 30. Wita from designisyay.com  |  January 1st, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I’m actually starting a new project called the Instagram Resolution project, it’s a series of instagrammed design with my resolutions and goals on them, and when I’ve made 9, I’m going to print them as fridge magnets :)
    Happy New Year!

• 31. Chick Tyler  |  January 1st, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Wonderful goals! And I definitely like the new employees one! I’d love to apply for that if it was a remote position!

• 32. Anonymous  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 12:57 am

Quickbooks is great really straight forward and intuitive, you’ll love it.. My biggest goal is to get super organised which is hard to do for a creative flakey mind like mine but super necessary to push my business forward…going to try using a timer at work to really focus my mind to task and avoid distractions!

• 33. Noor  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 6:20 am

I hope they all come true for you. I have kind of let design take over my life and you can even see that on my blog, it sort of went the design route without me meaning for it to.

• 34. Charity Sarah  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 7:21 am

Thank you for NOT having a totally boring list of, uh, resolution stuff. I especially loved number 9. I feel that it takes a special kind of person to joke around about daddy issues. You crack me up.

As for mine? Well I want to purge my blogroll so I don’t have to sift through 300+ posts only to read like 10 of the good ones. Don’t worry, I am obsessed with Designlovefest… you’re safe.

Also I would like to cure my insomnia. It has come to my attention that like staying up till 4am and sleeping till 12 isn’t the world’s most productive day. I realize that its not exactly willpower based but I’m hoping to implement the good old relaxation techniques and nighttime yoga moves will do some form of trick.

Happy 2013 and I can’t wait to see pics from Spain!

• 35. kendall  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 12:01 pm

this year is am excited to check everything off on my new years resolution list!

• Start and finish 10 books.
    • Plan coffee dates with other couples.. not hang out at bars..
    • Wake up at 7am everyday
    • Execute a dream in my head.
    • Spend more alone time, THis mama needs more me time.

Have a wonderful 2013

• 36. Andrea  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 12:07 pm

More Dancing!

• 37. Michelle  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I hear you on wanting to slow down and enjoy things. I think us creative gals are always non-stop and life goes so quickly. I forced myself to slow down (I quit my job, which was a joyful & scary & liberating feat) last year & its really helped me focus on my goals for this year and I’m happier and have grown because of it all.

Wishing you blessings, creativity & lots of fun for 2013!

• 38. Kelly  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I like your take on 2013, I can totally identify myself with some of the goals you put up here.
    If I had to pick just one, it would be slowing down and enjoying things. I always want to do everything and I have to learn that I’m simply not able to do that.
    When in Spain, I’d highly recommend to visit Figueres, the Dali museum is amazing!

• 39. joleen  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 5:47 pm

these are great goals! i wrote mine here:http://www.lovejoleenphotography.com/2013/01/hello-2013.html

cheers! :)

• 40. Veronica  |  January 3rd, 2013 at 1:26 am

I have a list of overarching goals for 2013 but I also set goals for each month of the year to make it more realistic and easier to accomplish what I want. But my main goal is to ask for and pursue what I want to achieve, not be so shy and actually start being more frank with what I want out of life! Lets see what 2013 will bring!

• 41. Astrid  |  January 3rd, 2013 at 2:10 am

I’m reading from Barcelona, and I’m sure you’ll love!
    If you need some information, you can contact me :)

• 42. Justine  |  January 3rd, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I want 2013 to be the year of creativity. I love making things- writing songs, making videos, scrapbooking- and I just don’t do it enough. So this year I want to create something every day, or at least once a week. I hope I hold myself to it… January is magical because it holds so much promise, but sometimes I lose sight of my goals!

• 43. Helen  |  January 4th, 2013 at 5:42 am

Good luck with them all! I blogged about my 9 or 10 goals too, makes me feel like I need to be more accountable since they’re out on the Interwebs huh? Here’s to an awesome 2013! x

• 44. Louise  |  January 4th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Best resolutions list I’ve read. I am working on my authority issues this year.

• 45. سپیدار روم  |  January 5th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

sepidar1375

• 46. Eunice  |  January 6th, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Oh wow! I’ve been so far removed from blog updates that I had to scroll backwards a few pages to catch up to your posts. I just made some goals, and blogged it. I find that my goals are very similar each year – they’re either to continue improving upon previous goals, or slight variations of past ones. Money, education/career, health are always my top three!

• 47. Ko-Shin  |  January 6th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

HMMM – cosmically random that u want to come to Barcelona (where I now live) in March – because I found your instagram and blog through some other bloggers in the past week – and was thinking – I should get in touch with her and get her out here to Barcelona!!! Contact ME :)

• 48. Anita Fredericks  |  January 7th, 2013 at 6:47 am

Congratulations Bri – great goals and fabulous inspiration! I just blogged my goals also, as well as a process for supporting people who would like to create their goals. It is certainly satisfying when we can tick some off the list (I’m a Virgo, so I love lists and I love even more to cross off!!) Good luck with your home cooking – get on top of your food and it will change your life! he he. Happy 2013!

• 49. kristi  |  January 7th, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I love this list. I think it’s so important to set goals, and I’m 7 days in without many “on paper” <which means they are official… but it's nice to have something to look forward to.

I completely relate with wanting to make sure you are nurturing friendships, I have a hard time seeing friends that live a few blocks away in LA, craziness! The one thing I am somewhat good at is my phonecalls, since it takes me about 45 mins to drive from Culver City to Hollywood everday (7.4 miles…) I use that time to call my dad, my best friend, or catch up with someone I haven't talked to in a while… I find it helps me stay connected, and also calms down my road rage… heh…

• 50. christina  |  January 7th, 2013 at 5:02 pm

happy 2013 bri! what a wonderful 2012! This past year amazing things happened in my life, I got married, honeymooned in Italy, my business grew like crazy and I took your blogshop atlanta class! I felt as though I wasn’t taking care of myself as I should. I’m now 31 and starting to feel little hints of getting older.
    This year I have one resolution, to take care of myself. like wash my face at night even though I don’t feel like it, get moving & get some exercise, and finally find balance between my business and my personal life.

• 51. NOT FEELING THIS SPARKLY &hellip  |  January 8th, 2013 at 10:06 am

[...] you haven’t started that  yet (guilty)…and maybe you haven’t even thought about your goals this year and have been doing all the same bad habits as last year. (guilty) i think that’s [...]

• 52. Kai  |  January 8th, 2013 at 10:11 am

Love the list! I’m so behind already, I haven’t even started my list yet.

I just wanted to throw out a recommendation for Barcelona. Go check out Els Quatre Gats – the food may not be stunning (drinks and dessert are good), but the gorgeous building and crazy history (one of Picasso’s fav cafe’s!) are worth checking out. And of course La Sagrada Familia for the same reasons…

• 53. Happy New Year | Northern&hellip  |  January 16th, 2013 at 9:08 am

[...] this photo from DesignLoveFest Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. Tagged 2013, new years day, [...]

COOL BEACH TOWEL…