11.26.12

MAKE IT / 25

this year has been filled with travel. mexico, paris, new york, london, san francisco, germany, and soon to be australia next month! one of my favorite things to do when i travel is to unwind and have a cocktail in a new place.

remember this “ron burgundy” drink in london or this rooftop bar in new york? there was the drake in toronto, the wine baby bottles in paris and the spicy drinks at east side showroom in austin.

gotta love the delicious shandy at the parker and those copper moscow mule mugs in dallas. when i am not traveling, one of my go-to places to walk and have happy hour is the thirsty crow for these!

so i thought it would be fun to design a set of coasters that say “cheers!” in all of the languages that i’ve heard this year when i raised my glass. you can download the designs below and make these coasters for an upcoming happy hour in your house!

:: click to download these designlovefest coasters HERE and HERE

what you’ll need:

• coasters (we got ours at world market)
• tacky glue
• matte finish mod podge
• foam brushes
• felt sheets
• scissors
HP matte photo paper
• download the coaster design above

the steps:

• print the downloaded designs & cut them out.

• “paint” on a generous but even amount of mod podge onto coaster and place cut circles on top of that. press firmly, flatten with fingers to get rid of bubbles. run tip of finger along the sides to get excess glue off.  place under heavy book as it dries to keep from bubbling.

• after they are dry, “paint” a coat of mod podge on top of the printed design and let dry completely. add 1 – 2 more coats.

• glue on felt to the bottom of the coaster using tacky glue if you’d like!

if you want to put those coasters to good use, you’d best make this recipe.

The Very Mary Merry Berry

• 4 oz vodka
• 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 2 cups sugar
• 3 1/2 cups filtered water
• 1 (12oz) bag of fresh cranberries
• 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
• 4 teaspoons rose’s sweetened lime juice
• tonic water

now let’s make some syrups!

rosemary syrup
• in a saucepan bring 2 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar to a slow boil.  reduce heat, add add 4 sprigs of rosemary (we’re saving the 5th sprig for garnishes) and simmer for ten minutes.

• let cool, strain out rosemary sprigs and transfer mixture to a clean glass container

cranberry ginger syrup
• not too different from the above. in a saucepan bring 1 1/2 cups of water, ginger and 1 cup of sugar to a slow boil.  reduce heat, add bag of cranberries and stir. they will start to “pop” in about five minutes. that’s when it’s done. let cool, and pour through a fine mesh strainer into a glass container.

invite 4 friends to belly up to the bar. fill each of their glasses with a couple ice cubes, 1 oz of vodka, 1 oz of rosemary syrup, 1 oz of cranberry ginger syrup . . . stir and then top off with tonic and a splash of rose’s lime juice. throw in a couple cranberries and a bit of that rosemary sprig for garnish. (they’ll be impressed)

cheers, salud, prost & santè!

photos: top photo by designlovefest instagram, rest of the photos by jen gotch
recipe by: jen gotch, see more recipes here!
more DIY projects here
sponsor: these holiday printables are brought to you by HP.
make other easy printable projects at HP’s Holiday HQ.

Chick Tyler says:

This DIY could not come at a better time! I’ve been wanting more festive coasters and these are just perfect! Thanks!

Awesome idea! These will make a perfect gift for the hostess in my family…me! haha

these are so cute & so simple! love them!

Kristen says:

Super cute! I’ve been in need of some coasters too!

Eliza says:

Love it!

I can just imagine a vintage Coke bottle on top!

Leigh says:

Oh I love them! So fun! And that drink looks tasty too!

You’re coming to Australia?! You’re really going to love it here. What parts of the country are you going?

bri says:

hi lisa!
    we are headed to sydney first for a little under a week and then to melbourne for 6 days or so! how’s the weather? i have been wanting to go to australia since middle school! just a little nervous about that flight…

I love these so much!
    If you’re after great bars in Sydney check out Hinky Dinks in Darlinghurst (and Gelato Messina just round the corner) plus Sweethearts Rooftop just up the road for some great Aussie BBQ! Hope you enjoy! xx

Oh you’ll love it – Sydney and Melbourne are both so different. The weather should be hot. It’s been a bit changeable in the last week or so but the temperature is heading up, up, up! If you don’t already know it, check out The Design Files blog… Lucy is a Melbourne-based blogger, but she interviews lots of creative types from all around Aus and they include their local tips for shopping, dining, bars, etc.

thedesignfiles.net

Don’t worry about the flight – I guess we get used to it living so far from everywhere – but it’s really not that bad. I load up my iPad with magazines and catch up on relaxing and not working! And sleep.

Have a wonderful trip!

Kimberly says:

Love the coasters. Too bad in Australia we too say ‘cheers’ instead of something more creative! Add Madame Brussels, Croft Institute, Seamstress and The Woods Of Windsor to your Melbourne “cocktail” haunts list if you get time. See you at the Melb Blogshop!

Michelle says:

Hello…I love this idea and plan to make these for a few gifts. I purchased the coasters at Cost Plus and realized that the templates are about 1/4″ too small…are there any other coasters that you can suggest? I can always get creative and make it work…hmmmm….

Pingback: DIY Hostess Gifts
    Robyn says:

Bri, you’re a genius, for oh so many reasons, but with regard to this post… I scoured the internet and sampled recipes for months to find a house cocktail to serve to 150 guests at our Xmas party that was this past weekend. Settling on a pear basil something that was not alll that good, I stumbled on this the night before the party. I made a huge serving using a handle of vodka. It was gone within two hours -competing with a keg of SN, cases of wine and a fully stocked bar. After the bartender was dismissed, the late-stayers, in all their drunkenness tried to make their own. DEE-Licious! Thanks for saving me from a pear basil disaster! Oh, and I love you.

Laura says:

LOVE this idea! It’s just charming.

KAREN MICHELE LEE says:

The best fish I ever ate was Blue Corral Trout in OZ-look for it-hopefully it isn’t endangered or fished out.

goboshop says:

Very nice post. I jus stumbled upon your blog and wanted to sayy that
    I have really loved browsing your blog posts. After all
    I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

Feel free to visit mmy web page goboshop

Simply awesome! I understand you have actually put a great deal of initiative into this as well as I desired to inform you how grateful I am! Hope you placed out even more remarkable things in the close to future and I will come back as well as read it!