11.21.12

ADVICE / 40

today’s question: “what videos inspire you?”
(bonus, we gave you a bunch of good documentaries too!)

KATIE: i could sit on youtube and vimeo for hours. it’s like a black hole going from one video to another. i have a list of videos i want to make but my skills aren’t there yet. i’m asking for a blogshop video class for christmas help me learn some tricks. one day i’ll share my videos with you, but until then here’s a list bri & i put together for you…

• for color: geometry of circles 1 and ok go’s skyscrapers
• for type: saul bass’ the facts of life and catch me if you can opening sequence
• for style: kate spade new york’s spring 2012 and fall 2012 campaigns
• for animation: meghan eplett + language department – orange
• for dance moves: 100 years of east london and prada’s spring/summer 2011 campaign
• for beauty: wes anderson – from above
• for coolness: i don’t know what it says, but i want to participate and opening ceremony’s target go international
• for quirkiness: warby parker’s – the cat burglar and method’s – clean happy

AND some inspiring netflix documentaries to watch over the holidays with your loved ones!

• interesting to watch how times are changing: page one: inside the new york times
• always a good watch: the september issue!
• truly a fascinating couple: eames, the architect and the painter
• wow, this family pushes life to another level: surfwise
• ok, maybe this one is not inspiring…but it’s sure strange and awesome! the wild and wonderful whites of west virginia!
• the coolest dude and one of our faves: bill cunningham new york
• sounds cheesy but rent this one. really inspiring to watch her work ethic! katy perry, part of me
these are great to watch with your guy. you will both be interested. especially in this one: 30 for 30, the two escobars
• you gotta love: the pixar story (great family watch)
• this made me respect ed hardy more: ed hardy, tattoo the world
• definitely one of the better music documentaries. loved it: when your strange (the doors)
• sometimes you just need mindless entertainment: joan rivers, a piece of work
• learn about street art: exit through the gift shop

we’d love to know your best watches too. we can never get enough of these!

enjoy your break everyone. hope you get some real relaxing couch time happening in your near future. -bri + katie

(illustration by katie evans. read more freelance advice posts are over here!)

• 1. Christa  |  November 21st, 2012 at 11:43 am

I’ve seen a couple of these documentaries, but I can’t wait to watch the rest! thanks for the fresh ideas :)

• 2. alicia  |  November 21st, 2012 at 11:55 am

Yay, I’ve been waiting for these! Thanks so much for sharing!!

A few random favorites I would add would be

- amazing french movie, total favourite
    - frida kahlo is pretty much my hero
    - edie sedgwick, another fav
    - and lastly the amazing diane arbus

Can’t wait for the weekend so I can watch a few on your list, thanks guys!

• 3. Hilary  |  November 21st, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thanks! I am planning some major movie watching over the holidays. Eames documentary sounds cooL! I would aslo like to recommend the doc, Manufactured Landscapes to you, I just saw it, AMAZING doc about the link between consumerism and lanscape photography!

• 4. gretchen  |  November 21st, 2012 at 12:21 pm

great list for me.
    Two fave street Artist videos:
    BLU:
    Jashua Allen Harris:

• 5. Beth @ The OC Fit Girl  |  November 21st, 2012 at 12:53 pm

This is great! I love the list of documentaries. Suuuper helpful :)

• 6. Kristen  |  November 21st, 2012 at 1:05 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE watching campaign videos! Seriously I want to make them for a living, so fun!

• 7. Ashleigh | Love Stoned  |  November 21st, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for the list – I plan on doing NOTHING but Netflixing on Saturday after everyone is out of the house! lol

xx Ashleigh

• 8. Maria Anne  |  November 21st, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I love Bill Cunningham!

One of my favorite documentaries that I could watch again and again is Young At Heart.
    It’s a music troupe of senior citizens that sing modern rock and pop songs. Seriously. It’s amazing and real and sometimes heartbreaking. Definitely recommend.

xoxo Maria Anne

• 9. Chrissy Flanigan  |  November 21st, 2012 at 2:19 pm

If you liked The September Issue & Bill Cunningham New York, I would suggest The Tents. It’s about how NYFW started and developing the events at Bryant Park and why/how they moved to Lincoln Center. I really enjoyed it.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi is really good too. It’s about an 85 year old sushi master who’s devoted his life to his craft. He received 3 Michelin stars for his 10-seat restaurant in Tokyo where plates go for $300. Just really fascinating.

Both on Netflix! : )

• 10. My Love Wedding Ring  |  November 21st, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Love “Exit through the street dorr”, its not the most straighforward of watches, but it is well worth the effort!!

• 11. Dana  |  November 21st, 2012 at 2:41 pm

super great list. I just watched 180* South and it was very inspiring – I’d add it to this list fo sho! I always mean to watch more documentaries – they pile up on my netflix queue like craz

• 12. Hannah  |  November 21st, 2012 at 2:42 pm

These look so interesting! Thank you! Please can you remind us about this post for Christmas. I’m from the UK and don’t have time off for thanks giving at the moment :) And Happy thanksgiving!

• 13. Sara  |  November 21st, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I’ve seen a lot of the movies on your list and I highly recommend “Beautiful Losers” It’s streaming on netflix and it’s the best ART/DESIGN SOUL FOOD EVER!

It covers Margaret Kilgallen, who once said “I like things that are handmade…when you get close up, you can always see the line waver. And I think that’s where the beauty is.” She and her husband were sign and graffiti artists in San Francisco.

& Harmony Korine, who is coming out with Selene Gomez’ first Indie film “Spring Breakers”

& Ed Templeton of the Southern California skate shop Toy Machine

& Shepard Fairey of OBEY (Andre the Giant…anyone?)

Seriously, these people were trail blazers all the way. Every time I watch it I want to make art.

• 14. Tiffany  |  November 21st, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Loved the Eames documentary. I quote him in my email signature: ‘take your pleasure seriously.’

• 15. Mai  |  November 22nd, 2012 at 12:13 am

i had to watch exit through the gift shop for an art history class once–it surprised me & i ended up really enjoying it!

• 16. Elly  |  November 22nd, 2012 at 1:40 am

I have two inspiring docs. They don´t have anything to do with design, photography or fashion but they celebrate life:

I really loved mad hot ballroom. It´s about students(11 years old) of several New York City Public elementary schools who take part in ballroom dancing class at their school and then compete in a city wide dance competition. It´s so fun to see how the kids learn it, how their friendships and their home lives are. It´s just cute and inspirational to watch.

And I loved Babies. It´s a a look at one year in the life of four babies from around the world, from Mongolia to Namibia to San Francisco to Tokyo. It shows that no matter how different we grow up in the beginning that fundamentally we are the same.

• 17. alicia  |  November 22nd, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I agree on Beautiful Losers, suuuuch a goodie. Love Margaret Kilgallen so much!

• 18. Second Floor Flat  |  November 25th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Succhh a good collection! About to spend hours going through the YouTube/Vimes, and some great documentaries I haven’t heard of either.

If you really want to break down and sob, then I’d recommend Dear Zachary (http://www.dearzachary.com/). An absolutely incredible movie. Sounds cheesy, but it really is full of surprises.

• 19. gena  |  November 25th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Ooo can’t wait to check these out! Exit Through the Gift Shop is an all time favorite. For type dorks (like me) Helvetica is great. Also, I just saw the Foo Fighters documentary Back and Forth on Palladia this past week and it was awesome. and that is coming from someone who was not necessarily a Foo fan (but is now :). and if you’re into music, Stop Making Sense is a must see!!

• 20. Brittany  |  November 26th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Great list! Netflix documentaries are the best!

• 21. Holly Wells  |  November 26th, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Thanks SO much for this list! I am loconuts for documentaries, especially this time of year when the weather allows you to stay indoors!

You MUST watch Happiness! The Documentary! I watched it twice in one week! It was such a breath of fresh air! The documentary takes you to places like India and Japan, asking people what makes them happy while giving the scientific background on what makes people happy too! Watch it please please please!

• 22. Janie  |  November 28th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

check out “MUTO a wall-painted animation by BLU” on youtube. It is amazeballs!

• 23. Ashley  |  March 2nd, 2013 at 12:18 am

I’m SHOCKED no one has mentioned “The Great Happiness Space: Tale of an Osaka Love Thief”! It’s bizarrely fascinating!

• 24. Inspiring videos :: from &hellip  |  March 11th, 2013 at 3:08 am

[...] help getting the juices flowing, I often turn to my favorite blogs. Recently I happened upon this list of inspiring videos, curated by Bri Emery on her blog, Design Love [...]

• 25. YouTube Video  |  July 16th, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Ahaa, its good discussion on the topic of this post here at this
    blog, I have read all
    that, so now me also commenting here.

• 26. portability number  |  July 17th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 is a big event for the cricket lover.
    It’s rather impractical because video cards designed for use in desktops are different than those designed for use in mobile devices, and it’s rare for laptop-exclusive video cards to
    be sold. 95 (depending on the provider), you can typically get unlimited talk time each month including calls to
    several European countries and you also have the option of keeping your existing phone
    number.