10.02.12

STYLE / 70

the shining is a terrifying movie. i sit and watch it with my ears covered through half of it because the quick edits & loud noises have me all anxious. but it’s a ridiculously good movie, right? last week we did a clockwork orange style post and this week it’s all about the grady twins from the shining. and there’s also a video at the bottom that my boyfriend put together that you gotta check out. thanks for following along on our stanley kubrick style tribute – it was definitely cool to switch it up and push our creative limits.

for this shoot, we were on the hunt for a creepy hotel in los angeles that would fit the vibe of the shining. we walked right in to this one and it ended up being hauntingly perfect (that winding staircase in the video is crazy!) shooting the video was actually really eery and the location made it easy to act the part. however, i chose not to venture into the frightening blood spattered scenes for obvious reasons.

the babydoll style dress with white stockings and mary jane shoes was the iconic look i was going for. i spotted this pink dress at shareen vintage that looked quite similar to the girl’s blue costumes in the film. and i had to rock the side part of course.

that ending? kudos, mister. you even scared me.

photography: heather gildroy
videography: modshift
more style posts: right here

• 1. Pink Ronnie  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 5:16 am

WOW, Bri. These shots are so hauntingly perfect.
    Seriously, the mood you’ve captured in them made me shiver a bit. You’re an incredible model – has anyone told you that?
    Thanks for creating such amazing content week after week for us!
    Ronnie xo
    p.s. The video comes up as private for me, for some reason…

• 2. Holly  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 6:11 am

Yeah I can’t watch the video either.

• 3. Jessica  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 6:33 am

Your style posts NEVER disappoint! I love how much work and detail goes into them. You really have a great style. Thanks for Inspiring me and thousands, everyday!
    -Jessica

• 4. Leigh  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 6:40 am

You always have the most creative style posts ever and I love it!!! I can’t even figure out how you did this one…

• 5. Mai  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 6:49 am

wow, your creativity never ceases to amaze me.
    would love to watch the video but it’s privated.

• 6. Kate  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 6:57 am

Booo I want to see the video :(

Kate

• 7. leann  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 7:06 am

whats the password?!?

• 8. Calee (@chimes) — life + running  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 7:26 am

this might be my favorite post of yours. but that’s a tough call because i pretty much love everything you post.

• 9. Corina  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 7:33 am

How lovely, it is truly one of my favorites too!

• 10. Megan  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:04 am

This is so amazing. Nice job to both you and the boyfriend. What a crazy, creative partnership you two are rocking!

• 11. jen  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:07 am

killing it.

• 12. Carrie @DreamGreenDIY  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:13 am

Wow…Styling and video are spectacular…That’s one talented guy you’ve got by your side!!

• 13. http://maiadream.blogspot.fr/  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:20 am

Woow, the film and photos are really fantastic! Bravo for the great idea!!

• 14. Megan Gilger  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:21 am

Damn girl this is hott! You and your team killed it as usual. ;)

• 15. Michelle  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:27 am

girl you’re a bonafide MO-DEL!

• 16. Lisa  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:28 am

You have overcome yourself with this one Bri and your team too. It is a great surprise to see this post today. I still believe you should do some acting even if it is just for fun :)

• 17. Sister Disco  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:30 am

Fabulous! What a fun, creative & creepy project. Love it!

• 18. erin  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:40 am

You put together the coolest concepts and such great teams of creatives! So awesome!

• 19. Kate  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:47 am

genius.
    you have the best job in the world.

• 20. monica  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:56 am

excellent, I love this concept. by the way, I think I’m the only person in the world that didn’t think The shining was a scary movie! if you want scary movies, you should watch the orphanage///////
    Great style post!

• 21. Rebecca - A Daily Something  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 9:01 am

So hauntingly beautiful, Bri. Great job … what a fantastic team you have!

• 22. Malori  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 9:03 am

Loved the video today. It’s rare that I actually take the time to watch videos on blogs but this was fantastic!

• 23. LARY@ Inspiration Nook  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 9:08 am

You guys are such a great match! Love the photos and video so much. Great job you two :)

• 24. nicole b.  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 9:09 am

Very nice. Deliciously spooky.

• 25. Mfree  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 9:10 am

Seriously, these style posts are FABULOUS. You are just killing it (no pun intended). Bravo to modshift and the video team. It’s spectacular.

• 26. tianna @ Suffocated Bliss  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 9:50 am

Awesome. The Shining is probably my favorite horror film. – I’ve only seen a couple Kubrick films, so I clearly need to finish his filmography.

- tianna :)

• 27. Sarah  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 10:54 am

This is crazy awesome and perfect for October =)

- Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

• 28. Pegah S  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 11:40 am

you have out done yourself. I think the CWO section was the strongest part of the video.

• 29. rory amber  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 11:58 am

i hope 2001 is next!

• 30. Michaela @ Two and Twenty  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 12:06 pm

omg, the last half of that video was so creepy! *slow clapping*

• 31. Samantha Penner  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Eeeek that movie terrified me for years. Just seeing these pictures (although you are gorgeous) scares me and brings back that fear. Job well done, though!!

• 32. invitation consultants  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 2:06 pm

very spooky!

• 33. Sarah  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 2:29 pm

This is terrifyingly beautiful! I love the creativity and inspiration! You pushed the envelope of the normal style post, and I admire that. Very editorial.

• 34. Sarolta  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Love the photoshop work in the pictures. This style post clearly brought out the artist in you.

• 35. Kate  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Loooove this! And the video–amazing (you have a very talented guy–I’m jealous that you found yourself an artist!). Completely makes me want to watch The Shining, just as soon as I visit my boyfriend and won’t be sleeping alone!

• 36. Rebecca  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Really enjoyed the video. I love when the architecture becomes part of the story. Thanks for sharing.

• 37. Dana McDowell  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Genius…but my heart is still racing! Gah, The Shining is so scary to me.

• 38. Ali Mackin  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Wow Bri you look different. Great post and photography. Yes The Shinning was one of those films that made me want to go to film school. Oh the your boyfriend’s film is super cool as well…your a talented duo.

Ali of aliandang

• 39. chandra ~ oh lovely day  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 5:26 pm

this is so cool. when I saw the first photo and didn’t see what it was for yet I thought you looked like a creepy elle fanning, which turned out to pretty much be true :) REDRUM!

• 40. Anonymous  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 5:33 pm

bri, this is cool and all, but i dont think it should be archived under “style.” all your other style posts are inspiring and practical for everyday wear – which is what most style posts should be about right? i think this should be archived under another category…maybe “awesome and creative!” but definitely not “style”. as always though, good job on blowing your readers away!

• 41. Dana McDowell  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:02 pm

@Anonymous–it’s freakin’ October and definitely appropriate for Halloween style.

• 42. Deeyarah  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 10:40 pm

DLF and Modshift! You guys rock!!! Seriously…wow.

• 43. Noor  |  October 3rd, 2012 at 2:36 am

Wow these are bad azz my fav yet.

Noor
    Little Pink Strawberries

• 44. Kickstand  |  October 3rd, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’m scared

• 45. mascot  |  October 3rd, 2012 at 10:14 am

i love how you make style posts a complete creative package? why stop at pictures why not make an entire day of it? it is also muy adorable that you get to spend the time with your dude.

• 46. Amanda  |  October 3rd, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Bri,
    you are SO kick ass. I read this blog religiously and its stuff like THIS that makes me really love your work. its quirky and fun and the styling and everything was so artfully done. just in time for Halloween. thanks for making my day

• 47. Annie Hollywood  |  October 3rd, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Perfect for October! I’m having so much fun pinning the creepy images everyone’s sharing.

• 48. Molly  |  October 3rd, 2012 at 6:24 pm

oh my gosh, that video seriously scared me silly. you are so inspiring…thank you for always creating such unique content!

• 49. samantha  |  October 4th, 2012 at 11:39 am

i love the shining part, beautiful and eery at the same time.

• 50. look see  |  October 5th, 2012 at 1:45 am

Freaking brilliant.

• 51. Malin  |  October 5th, 2012 at 3:49 am

It’s perfect! I love the mood.

• 52. the shining | let them ea&hellip  |  October 5th, 2012 at 4:41 am

[...] recently did one of the coolest style posts i’ve seen in a long time. she also recently did a clockwork orange, her boyfriend put [...]

• 53. Crazybananas » Blog&hellip  |  October 5th, 2012 at 6:03 am

[...] Fashion + Stanley Kubrick = Awesomesauce (Also, totally creepy. Perfect for [...]

• 54. link love 10/5 | ban.do b&hellip  |  October 5th, 2012 at 8:46 am

[...] spotted designlovefest wearing one of our brand new bobbis (coming soon!) in her lastest fashion post. but, we promise [...]

• 55. lisa  |  October 9th, 2012 at 9:50 am

You have the best style posts ever. What a great/creepy video :)

• 56. Surf’s Up «&hellip  |  October 12th, 2012 at 2:35 am

[...] 1. Design Love Fest filmed a marvelously spooky & stylish video tribute to Stanley Kubrick [...]

• 57. camille  |  October 14th, 2012 at 1:16 am

wow, this is so fantastic! I can’t tell you enough how much I loved this. incredible :)

• 58. HIGHLIGHT REEL | D E S I &hellip  |  December 21st, 2012 at 10:58 am

[...] CLOCKWORK ORANGE   |  THE SHINING   |  TULLE   |  50′s [...]

• 59. HOW TO RUN A BLOG OUTTA Y&hellip  |  March 1st, 2013 at 4:01 am

[...] take a lot more work. you have to find the perfect outfit – sometimes i rent them. like this dress for the shining i knew i was only going to wear that one time. figure out if there is going to be props – [...]

COOL BEACH TOWEL…