10.12.12

MAKE IT / 21

today we will be showing you how to make these beautiful ombre pendant lights! this is definitely one of my favorite projects so far (it looks awesome over my new dining room table). as always, let us know if you make it and send us photos please!

what you’ll need:

• 8 inch glass pendant light (Sea Gull lighting makes a nice one readily available online)
• Martha Stewart Glass Paint Spray System available exclusively at Michael’s
• Martha Stewart Opaque Metallic Glass Paint in Champagne
• Martha Stewart Translucent Frost Glass Paint in Pink Flamingo
• rubbing alcohol
• cotton squares
• tissue paper
• small mixing bowl
• painter’s tape
• scissors
• ruler

how to make it:

SET UP
• prepare the spray system according to the included directions (some paints are prepared differently than others so be sure to read all the instructions before mixing  paints for the sprayer).
• clean glass globe surface with rubbing alcohol and a cotton square.
• lay the glass globe on it’s flat side and measure four inches up from the table surface with a ruler.
• cut small pieces of paper tape & mark all the way around. this will help serve as a guide when you’re painting but it will also prevent the paint from reaching the surface so try and use small pieces.
• lay tissue paper into the mixing bowl and carefully place the glass globe right side up making sure that your line is level all the way around.

TO PAINT
*the key to getting a great looking ombre surface is to paint in very light layers and allowing each layer to dry before applying more paint to the surface

Photobucket

• load the spray system with the champagne paint, spray a very light layer working all the way around your surface from your mark up to the top of the globe (flat side). let dry.
• spray another light layer starting 1 inch from your mark all the way around the glass globe.
• continue painting in this manner moving an inch up with each layer for a total of 4 layers of paint, if when you get to the top the last layer does not seem opaque you can spray it again. let dry. we let ours sit for 45 minutes between each layer to ensure that our paint would not run or drip.
• change the spray system to the pink flamingo paint.
• starting halfway up from your mark spray light layers of pink paint using the same method, working your way up the glass globe in 1 inch increments. again if you find that the pink isn’t showing up solid by the time you reach the top add additional layers.
• remove the painter’s tape, if you can see the area where the tape was you can very lightly use your finger and a little paint to touch up the area.

*a good tip when creating any gradient effect is to remember that you can’t go backwards, so it’s best to be patient and work  slowly in nice light layers, this also makes the fade from one color to another more subtle and beautiful. be sure to read the painting tips that come with the spray system, we found them to be very helpful in terms of how to operate the sprayer and get a consistent spray. if you are hesitant to use the sprayer you can buy a opal glass replacement globe at the hardware store to practice on, they cost about $5 and you know what they say… practice makes perfect.

a fun idea for a work space would be creating multiple color combinations to hang like this!

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

• 1. Pink Ronnie  |  October 12th, 2012 at 6:22 am

Very cool, Bri & Natalie!
    And Bri – loving your new table. :)
    Ronnie xo

• 2. stephanie  |  October 12th, 2012 at 7:15 am

Nice! You should make a bouquet of these!

• 3. Allywan  |  October 12th, 2012 at 7:23 am

Yep, this is happening. Glass paint spraying systems..Martha thinks of everything!

• 4. Kat  |  October 12th, 2012 at 7:23 am

I think this is my favourite DIY yet!

• 5. Malori  |  October 12th, 2012 at 7:36 am

That’s gorgeous! I’m getting ready to move and lighting is HUGE for me. I can’t wait to find (or make) the perfect fixtures for my new home.

• 6. Emily  |  October 12th, 2012 at 8:12 am

This is a great project! Also, I absolutely LOVE the rug in your last photo, where did you get it?

• 7. bri  |  October 12th, 2012 at 8:43 am

emily – thanks! i got it at lawson fenning last year.

• 8. Christie Jones  |  October 12th, 2012 at 8:50 am

Okay! I am totallyyyyyyy in love with this and the new table! AWESOME!

• 9. Eliza  |  October 12th, 2012 at 8:55 am

Love it!

• 10. Cire'  |  October 12th, 2012 at 9:07 am

So neat! Looks amazing!

• 11. invitation consultants  |  October 12th, 2012 at 9:18 am

very chic and modern!

• 12. Anna @ IHOD  |  October 12th, 2012 at 9:25 am

Bri, this is brilliant. Thanks for sharing the How-To!
    ~Anna

• 13. Michelle - Beauty Moves Me  |  October 12th, 2012 at 9:29 am

What a great idea! Gotta try this!!

• 14. Sarah  |  October 12th, 2012 at 9:30 am

That pendant rocks, and so does your new table! I love your DIY projects. They are some of the only ones I see that I would actually consider doing. Practical and beautiful!

• 15. Monsterscircus  |  October 12th, 2012 at 9:33 am

So beautiful, couldn’t be more brilliant and simple, just loving it!!! Hve a great weekend

• 16. Melissa  |  October 12th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Oh my goodness! This is gorgeous! A must do.

Cheers
    -Melissa

• 17. Michaela  |  October 12th, 2012 at 10:00 am

this is adorable and so genius! I love a good interior DIY

• 18. LARY@ Inspiration Nook  |  October 12th, 2012 at 10:31 am

These are gorgeous Bri!!! Simply beautiful!

• 19. Art and Chic  |  October 12th, 2012 at 10:56 am

Brilliant idea! Love it!

• 20. Maria  |  October 12th, 2012 at 11:35 am

GREAT IDEA! very chic

• 21. Tara  |  October 12th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Looks like another winning DIY! I’m going to say a prayer for patience so I don’t over-spray my globe.

• 22. Lisa  |  October 12th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Love this! Well done.

• 23. Brittany  |  October 12th, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh I love this! Maybe I’ll make a gold one!

• 24. Kate  |  October 12th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

That rug is fantastic. Just wondering: does the color on the lamp make the room have a pink glow? Colored lights creep me out

• 25. Catherine  |  October 12th, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Fun project! Would be neat to do a post on other DIY projects using this technique. Xo

• 26. Chick Tyler  |  October 13th, 2012 at 2:36 am

I will be doing this soon!!

• 27. Alena Finsky  |  October 13th, 2012 at 11:42 am

What a pretty project. Also, love the new table. :)

• 28. Best of the Web 10.13.12 &hellip  |  October 13th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

[...] it: an ombre pendant lamp. [...]

• 29. Inge  |  October 14th, 2012 at 2:23 am

This is gorgeous! I’ll have to remember this for a future house.

• 30. Mina  |  October 15th, 2012 at 8:30 am

Oh my! What an awesome project! I could totally do this! Thanks for sharing!! : )

• 31. Rox  |  October 15th, 2012 at 10:18 am

pretty!!

• 32. kim  |  October 15th, 2012 at 11:01 am

Does anyone know what kind of jar/candle that is? it is beautiful. great post, bri!

• 33. bri  |  October 15th, 2012 at 11:52 am

the candle is from illume candles, kim!

• 34. mat  |  October 16th, 2012 at 12:16 am

now that is very slick, worth a pin for sure

• 35. Michela  |  October 16th, 2012 at 7:30 am

Great DIY! Pinworthy for sure. By the way, do you happen to have a source for that great rug? Thanks!

• 36. Katie  |  October 18th, 2012 at 10:51 am

This is fantastic! One question though: how much light does the–gorgeous–painted pendant give off? My girlfriend and I have just bought a house (hooray!) and are slowly but surely renovating it and making it beautiful. (Which is also hooray, but with a lot more work and patience involved.)

We’re trying to find or make a light we actually like to overhang our very dark stairwell to our attic bedroom. Would this be bright enough or does it function more as a reading and ambience light?

Thanks! And again, my compliments. This is lovely!

• 37. friday favorites. «&hellip  |  October 19th, 2012 at 2:28 pm

[...] Ha! Love this wrapping paper. Too early to think about wrapping Christmas gifts? • Yes. • Light option. • Cute. • Or something like this, instead of the wrapping paper. • The first [...]

• 38. Searchable Saturdays &laq&hellip  |  October 20th, 2012 at 5:06 am

[...] 5. With the days getting shorter, I’ve been thinking a lot about lighting in our home and am starting to contemplate replacing some of the light fixtures that came with our renter home. Maybe Ombre lighting? [...]

• 39. DIY-Dienstag | Großstadt&hellip  |  October 23rd, 2012 at 3:00 am

[...] 4. Ahhh, da atmet das Auge auf vor lauter Schönheit, bei diesen selbstbemalten Lampen. [...]

• 40. Ombre Pendant Lights - Th&hellip  |  October 25th, 2012 at 2:06 pm

[...] guest post today comes from Bri Emery of Design Love Fest. Bri is sharing a how-to for these beautiful ombre pendant [...]

• 41. Fresh Find Friday : The P&hellip  |  October 26th, 2012 at 9:28 am

[...] The photo above is by my favorite ladies over at Design Love Fest. They always blow my mind with their incredibly easy DIYs and the photography just floors me. To see how to make your own DIY Glass Pendant Lights, click here. [...]

• 42. lisa  |  October 27th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Bri- congragulations on winning the Martha Stewart Crafts Month contest! I was on Martha Stewart looking up mac and cheese recipes and saw you won! I keep reminding myself to take your blogshop course..maybe next time you’re in LA! Congrats again!

• 43. Inspire Me Heather  |  October 29th, 2012 at 6:07 am

Your lights are beautiful, thanks for posting your tutorial too – your photos are just gorgeous! I’ve got this linked to my DIY pendant lights post as well today, for inspiration!

• 44. Jeanette  |  November 1st, 2012 at 9:56 am

I am with a few others on the rug. Fantastic. Where is it from?

• 45. Spotlight: My Crush on Th&hellip  |  November 9th, 2012 at 7:28 am

[...] awesome DIY glass pendant lights. Isn’t the ombre to die [...]

• 46. PRETTYHAUTEMESS   &r&hellip  |  December 3rd, 2012 at 8:30 pm

[...] 1, 2, 3, [...]

• 47. Gorgeous DIY Glass Paint &hellip  |  December 9th, 2012 at 2:12 pm

[...] You can find the DIY instructions over at Design Love Fest [...]

• 48. ohcatrina  |  December 11th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I am in LOVE. Thanks so much for sharing this great idea!

• 49. Molly  |  January 9th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Does anyone know what type of chairs are with the table and where they came from? Love them. Also, love this diy.

• 50. heidi  |  January 17th, 2013 at 6:43 am

This is stunning. I would love to make this.

• 51. Sarah  |  March 24th, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Love this pendant although I would feel intimidated trying to do it! Would you share where your table and chairs are from? I really love them. Thanks!

• 52. Ombre Wedding Inspiration&hellip  |  May 9th, 2013 at 7:21 am

[...] Ouma on Etsy | The Frenchy Cocktails: Intoxicology | Zebra: The Cardboard Box | Pendant Lights: Design Love Fest | Macaroons: Millie Holloman via Style Me Pretty | Cake: Cupcakes Couture of Manhattan Beach via [...]

• 53. Lights On: DIY This Cool &hellip  |  June 4th, 2013 at 3:27 pm

[...] DIY by: Natalie Shriver Photos by: Kimberly Genevieve [...]

• 54. 10 FAVORITE DIY PROJECTS &hellip  |  August 27th, 2013 at 4:01 am

[...] ombre pendant lights 2. painted shelves 3. geometric camera straps 4. birthday crowns 5. custom shower curtain 6. [...]

• 55. Ombre Pendant Lamp DIY Tu&hellip  |  September 2nd, 2013 at 1:31 pm

[...] MAKE IT / 21 [...]

• 56. 19 projets DIY dans le ba&hellip  |  September 15th, 2013 at 1:39 pm

[...] OMBRE PENDANT LAMP via MAKE IT / 21 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T // 2. DIY – Des oiseaux imaginaires » Cachemire et soie – Blog photo, Paris, mode, style [...]

FUN PILLOWS…