10.17.12

ADVICE / 37

today’s question: “how is the transition when you start to change your career paths?”

KATIE’S ANSWER:
it’s a wild ride. i recently just made the jump from print to web design. i wanted to learn a new skill and grow as a designer. i think it’s important to be well rounded with many tools in your toolbox. there will be more choices and opportunities later down the road. so far there has been a learning curve, but i love a challenge. it keeps me on my toes and i love learning. designing in photoshop has been hard to get used to. i know how to make something look pretty, it’s just learning how to do that in another medium that has been frustrating.

tricks that i know in illustrator and indesign are not the same. learning the terminology and acronyms has been fun. it’s frustrating that i’m working a little slower but i know with more time and experience i’ll be back to my speed racer self. i just need to be patient. i think bri’s blogshop class would be really beneficial for me. i’m not big on blogging, but that girl has some serious photoshop and video skills to share.

so the transition has been bumpy, but if it were flat that would only be boring.

BRI’S ANSWER:
this is a really good question and such perfect timing for me. i have been making the transition from being a full-time graphic designer to more of a blogger/teacher these days. of course, graphic design will always have my heart and i will never stop loving design. but i think you get to a point in your career where certain things just fall into place or change directions when you aren’t ready for it. and that’s totally okay! i never thought 3 years ago i would be blogging everyday or teaching people how to use photoshop around the world, but it’s ended up being an amazing learning experience for me, so i have just been rolling with it. i have learned a lot about business, a lot about working with others, and a whole lot about myself. of course there are days when i feel a little lost or unable to predict my future (which for a type A personality is difficult) but i have come to terms with that and now feel excited about the possibilities. there is something very thrilling about the challenge of change and jumping into something you might not know how to do right away.

i think something that is important for me is to never lose my skill set in design. as long as i am still using the programs, designing blog posts, taking projects that excite me, and researching my industry…it’s okay to stray away a bit. life is going to take us on a wild ride and i wouldn’t want it any other way.

(illustration by katie evans. read more freelance advice posts are over here!)

• 1. Anni  |  October 17th, 2012 at 10:41 am

These advice posts are without a doubt, my favorites on DesignLoveFest lately. Just curious, how did you express interest in trying new avenues? Did you take on personal projects to build a bit of a portfolio?

• 2. Erica  |  October 17th, 2012 at 10:51 am

I love these posts. And they are always sooo well timed for the exact questions I’m wondering about for my personal career goals.

I would love to know the response to Anni’s questions above!

• 3. Janelle  |  October 17th, 2012 at 10:54 am

This couldn’t have come at a more perfect time for me. I have decided to pursue my first love of creating and take a graduate diploma in graphic/interior design, visual merchandising or art therapy. I know that’s a wide spectrum, but (trust me!) this is an improvement. It’s hard to narrow down my options. I feel like I’m starting over since I have a Bach of Psych & almost 2 years with a student agency, but I’m optimistic. I’m only 23 so time is on my side!

• 4. Joy  |  October 17th, 2012 at 10:56 am

Agreed, these posts are always relevant and spot on when it comes to the things people are talking about in my social network. It’s also comforting to know that it’s not always an easy transition, even though the both of you make it look that way.

• 5. Stephanie T  |  October 17th, 2012 at 10:56 am

It’s so true. Sometimes you have to let yourself evolve in ways that you may not have seen along your path. The best and most creative things come out of it.

• 6. Lauren  |  October 17th, 2012 at 11:03 am

What’s been best for me in transitioning to a fashion copywriter is completely immersing myself in everything about it, like learning all the terminology, studying all the greats, and most importantly networking with key people in the copywriting world.

• 7. Kellen  |  October 17th, 2012 at 11:07 am

I am a current fashion designer, but I am going back to school for Graphic Design. It’s really scary to start over again, although luckily fashion design is put me in the right industry. Point of my story is, these advice columns have been really helpful! It inspires me to not be afraid, and they have really pushed me do what I love to. Thanks for that, and please, keep them coming. I really look forward to them!

xO

Kellen

• 8. everydaydeelights  |  October 17th, 2012 at 11:12 am

this is a great post ladies! perfect timing ;)

• 9. charlotte.  |  October 17th, 2012 at 11:23 am

I love this advice post today (and the illustration too)! I’m a graphic designer, just starting out in the design industry. I’m really figuring out what I want lately and cracking down to actually motivate myself to do something about what I want. Reading this blog everyday and checking out all the amazing links you post has inspired me like crazy! I just wish I had found out about this blog sooner! I haven’t started a blog yet, but I’ve realized in the past little while that it’s definitely something I want to pursue. Thanks for keeping my design side alive!

c.

• 10. Paige  |  October 17th, 2012 at 11:33 am

Your advice posts are my favorite part of designlovefest. I love learning and putting the information to good use. xo

• 11. Caytlyn  |  October 17th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

This is great advice! I think the advice posts are for sure my favorite, very helpful.

• 12. Ali Mackin  |  October 17th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

The transition is not always easy, but generally in the end it is worth it. These posts are informative and inspiring. It is interesting to read about everyone’s journeys and the life changes they are making. I too am on a journey to change things up. I too am a graphic designer, but I am looking to transition out of working as a graphic designer which is why I started my blog. I recently started a fashion writing class and so far I am loving it! It is always exciting to reinvent yourself, not always the easiest thing to do…but definitely exciting!

Thanks again Bri and Katie for being so inspiring!

Ali of aliandang

• 13. Sister Disco  |  October 17th, 2012 at 1:12 pm

This is a topic I never tired of! There’s always so much to learn from each other and just knowing other people face a lot of the same challenges is so helpful. I’ve spent a long time feeling like I don’t know what I want to do, or what my passions are. Realizing now this only leaves me feeling stuck. I wrote a guest post about it on WELL in L.A. if anyone is interested in checking it out. http://www.wellinla.com/creating-more-yes/2012/
    Thanks again!
    ~Lauren

• 14. Sister Disco  |  October 17th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

p.s. Love the illustration!

• 15. DANIELLE L  |  October 17th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

ONCE AGAIN LADIES, YOU HAVE DELIVERED SUCH USEFUL INFORMATION! THANK YOU FOR SHARING ALL OF IT!

• 16. Brynn {chartreuse & a twist}  |  October 17th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

This has got to be one of my favorite columns! I get something amazing out of it every time! As a girl who is on the path to entrepreneurship, this is a no-brainer go-to guide for me. You ladies provide both so much knowledge & inspiration for me :) Thank you for that! And, Bri, I am so excited for your new venture… just perfect! XO Brynn

• 17. Danie at Pasadya  |  October 17th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I can’t say how much I love this series! Thanks, Katie and Bri! :)

• 18. Michelle - Beauty Moves Me  |  October 17th, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Well said – thanks for all the inspiration to keep driving toward the career you WANT, and not just settle for the career you have!

• 19. Samantha Penner  |  October 17th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Love this question and your answers. I agree with you both- it’s good to have lots of tools in your toolbelt. I am learning to use Adobe Illustrator and it’s been a bit of a learning curve!

• 20. Holli Keaton  |  October 17th, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I love these posts! It’s such good timing for me to read them because I’m in the process of launching into the full-time freelance blogging world. Like you two, however, I have so many things I’d like to explore-blogging, social media, marketing, writing a book, teaching others how to write, selling handmade goods. I hope I can have a similar spirit and just roll with the punches. So fun! The possibilities are endless!

• 21. Julie  |  October 18th, 2012 at 6:13 am

Well said Bri. I couldn’t agree more with life takes you on paths that are sometimes unexpected but as long as you continue maintaining your skill set, you’ll be just fine. Plus, with your personality and drive, I doubt you’ll ever have anything to worry about!

• 22. Link Love: 10.18.12 | Nub&hellip  |  October 18th, 2012 at 6:20 am

[...] • What is the transition like when you decide to shift your career path? [...]

• 23. Weekly Roundup of Fashion&hellip  |  October 20th, 2012 at 9:07 am

[...] Design Love Fest writes about career transitions, reminding us that it’s better to face a few bumps in the road than have our futures remain flat. [...]

THIS BAG…