09.25.12

STYLE / 69

when my boyfriend and i first started dating, we stayed in one evening and had a stanley kubrick marathon. we often don’t agree on movies, so it was a nice surprise when we found out we both loved a clockwork orange, lolita and the shining.

so last week we decided to spend the afternoon making a short film (coming soon!) and reinterpreting a clockwork orange with heather gildroy. if you’ve seen the film, you know that the main character is a guy so i took creative liberty in recreating a feminine vision of “alex.”

but there were a few iconic variables that had to stay. that crazy eye, the bowler hat, the cane, and the overall black and white vibe.

& that glass of milk, of course…

stay tuned for our stanley kubrick film interpretation part II (and the video!) and see the outtakes that didn’t make it to the post on my facebook.

what film would you recreate for a style post? i think i want to be edie bouvier beale next.

photography: heather gildroy for designlovefest
more style posts: right here

Kate says:

These may be my favorite pictures of you! You look amazing!

Kate

Azra says:

What a great idea. I can’t wait to see the movie. Photos look fantastic.
    On top of my head.. I would do Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Pulp Fiction… what a contrast! Ha!

Wow- my fav shot is the 5th one down of your face- so cool! This post is edgy and unexpected. Very inspiring!

Sarah says:

Well this isn’t that weird (as tweet promised)! I dig it, and the little typography additions. It’s just enough to bring it all together (and make me watch to see clockwork orange, somehow I never have). I would love to see Rosemarie’s baby, you could take some real creative liberties there!

Naomi A says:

I think this is the 3rd reference I’ve seen to that movie this week! I have never seen it, but now I must! I think you look great, with or without knowing the film.

lindsey says:

oh man, amazing! your outfit styling is perfect.

i would love to do amelie or the imaginarium of dr. parnassus.

Leigh says:

Oh these are so fantastic! I love this idea! Now I get what you tweeted… If I were going to recreate a movie for a style post, the first thing that came to mind was “My Fair Lady.” I love her transformation into a lady. I haven’t seen the movie in forever (Probably was 10 years old), but I’m sure it could be redone into a short film with some sort of style evolution theme behind it!

Patti says:

this is so inspiring/awesome/best post ever! I am feeling your black and white posts lately : )

kendall says:

wow! I love this.
    only blondes can make white look so soft.

bri says:

lindsey, amelie would be so fun!

Melanie says:

Seriously. This is SO COOL. I love it. And I’d love to see an Amelie shoot. That’s one of my top three favorite movies. If you want to do my other two, try Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Lost in Translation. :)

Caitlin says:

WOW!

Weird and SO WONDERFUL!!!

I’d have to throw in any of the Wes Anderson movies as a suggestion :)

Lauren says:

breathtaking photos. definitely my favorite style post so far!

tish says:

KUDOS! Clockwork scared the living EFFING ISH out of me, but you did an amazing job recreating it. The makeup is the bomb.com. Your makeup artist rocks!

monica says:

you pretty much nailed it! Intrigued to see the short film you’re talking about. :)

Bettina says:

Can’t wait to see the film you guys made! Love the way you interpreted the female version!

Shawnee says:

WOW. these photos are incredible…you are gorgeous! can’t wait to see the film! xo

sue says:

super cool… the photography brings the styling to life… just gorgeous!

m says:

AMAZING. I am a huge Stanley Kubrick fan. Your version is stunning

Lauren M. says:

LOVE this!!! I saw the movie for the first time last year and found it very entertaining. I love these photos.

MyersMaison.blogspot.com

Katie says:

This is amazingly epic and beautiful! So inspiring. Can’t wait for the rest of the content.

colby says:

omg omg omg these are PERFECT!!!

Malori says:

You look stunning!! That eye makeup is pretty fabulous as well. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

sharon says:

this is too cool! you keep coming up with the coolest shoots. thanks for sharing them with us (:

alicia says:

you should do an edie sedgwick inspired shoot :)

Tanicia says:

This is my second favorite style post of yours. So great.

Maude from “Harold and Maude”! One of my favorite movies.

Oleah says:

wow, this is awesome.

xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

Mfree says:

WOW. This shoot is amazing…that eye is crazy cool! If i had to pick a movie it would probably be Brewster Mccloud by altman.. the scenes of the mechanical bird are brilliant.

loving this. totally love your take!

Sarah says:

Brilliant and stunning! I’d love to recreate an Indiana Jones kind of look!

Lisa says:

You have rocked this one lady ! The styling is perfect and the final pictures are beyond gorgeous.
    P.s : you have a very strong expression range Bri. Have you ever considered acting ? :)

Matisse says:

My absolute favourite shoot you have done! AMAZING! And I want those boots.

Really? says:

I don’t know… I’m not going to knock how awesome you translated the look but come on… this movie is such a horrible horrible thing to emulate!!! …no matter how awesome his all white / weird eye make-up might be. A rapist Bri? Really? I’m surprised this hasn’t bothered more people and that I am the first negative comment.

bri says:

it’s about the style of the film, the fashion…not the content.

Alison says:

Implying that you can’t use a fictional villain as an inspirational character for a photoshoot, to me, is like saying that the actor himself should have been ashamed to play the part in the first place. Both are ways of emulating a darker character to create art. Not all creative inspiration has to be 100% wholesome, and its even possible to be inspired by aesthetics alone.

Bri – BEAUTIFUL work here. I’ve never seen the movie, but I can tell it must have been filmed with an aesthetic that inspired you. I can’t wait to see what you do next.

– Alison { aliology.com }

Simply amazing Bri! Love this!!!! Wish I could be part of these shoots. If you ever need any help count me in. :)

gracie says:

I hate Alex’s character, and that movie is so so disturbing but you have done this amazingly! Love it.

Kate says:

I’m so far from being a movie buff it’s not even funny so my word here comes with a (few) grain(s) of salt, but I also would looooove to see Amelie re-imagined–a trip to Montmartre may be in order

I would do Breakfast Club.
    I love Design Sponge’s ‘Living In..’ series.

BTW I posted about A Clockwork Orange once (a simple behind the scenes photo) and received some negative feedback on it too.

OH MY GOSH BRI! This is one of my fave style posts. You’re gorgeous, and this is SO SO UNIQUE! Cannot wait for part 2!!!

Arbine says:

Stunning! Absolutely stunning! Hope you have a lovely day. :)

Arbine says:

Oh and I would recreate Alice in Wonderland for a style post. :)

LOVE IT! yes, on edie bouvier beale, and how about edie sedgewick, too?

vicki says:

Love this!! I hope you do more of these Bri!! Have never seen the film as ive heard its a bit disturbing but your shoot has inspired me to try photo shoot style posts on my own blog. Pinned half these images :) xo

Hannelore says:

I love this post, I’m curious to see the movie!

Sarolta says:

I LOVE that make-up!

Suggestion says:

I’m a little bummed about the insensitivity of this post. Fashion is one thing, but be careful what you support and promote to such a large following. I’m not trying to hate, I just want to suggest that you are more cautious with what you promote in the future.

Pingback: friday's here!
    Rachael B says:

the fourth to last shot is definitely my favorite. the heightened white on black just makes it perfect. i’ve always loved clockwork orange and this only reminds me of my deep love for it.

Abbey says:

That book is nuts! Sometimes I like to speak Nadsat.