09.25.12

STYLE / 69

when my boyfriend and i first started dating, we stayed in one evening and had a stanley kubrick marathon. we often don’t agree on movies, so it was a nice surprise when we found out we both loved a clockwork orange, lolita and the shining.

so last week we decided to spend the afternoon making a short film (coming soon!) and reinterpreting a clockwork orange with heather gildroy. if you’ve seen the film, you know that the main character is a guy so i took creative liberty in recreating a feminine vision of “alex.”

but there were a few iconic variables that had to stay. that crazy eye, the bowler hat, the cane, and the overall black and white vibe.

& that glass of milk, of course…

stay tuned for our stanley kubrick film interpretation part II (and the video!) and see the outtakes that didn’t make it to the post on my facebook.

what film would you recreate for a style post? i think i want to be edie bouvier beale next.

photography: heather gildroy for designlovefest
more style posts: right here

• 1. Kate  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:01 am

These may be my favorite pictures of you! You look amazing!

Kate

• 2. Azra  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:05 am

What a great idea. I can’t wait to see the movie. Photos look fantastic.
    On top of my head.. I would do Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Pulp Fiction… what a contrast! Ha!

• 3. la domestique  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:16 am

Wow- my fav shot is the 5th one down of your face- so cool! This post is edgy and unexpected. Very inspiring!

• 4. Sarah  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:25 am

Well this isn’t that weird (as tweet promised)! I dig it, and the little typography additions. It’s just enough to bring it all together (and make me watch to see clockwork orange, somehow I never have). I would love to see Rosemarie’s baby, you could take some real creative liberties there!

• 5. Naomi A  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:33 am

I think this is the 3rd reference I’ve seen to that movie this week! I have never seen it, but now I must! I think you look great, with or without knowing the film.

• 6. lindsey  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:46 am

oh man, amazing! your outfit styling is perfect.

i would love to do amelie or the imaginarium of dr. parnassus.

• 7. Leigh  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:46 am

Oh these are so fantastic! I love this idea! Now I get what you tweeted… If I were going to recreate a movie for a style post, the first thing that came to mind was “My Fair Lady.” I love her transformation into a lady. I haven’t seen the movie in forever (Probably was 10 years old), but I’m sure it could be redone into a short film with some sort of style evolution theme behind it!

• 8. Patti  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:49 am

this is so inspiring/awesome/best post ever! I am feeling your black and white posts lately : )

• 9. kendall  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:49 am

wow! I love this.
    only blondes can make white look so soft.

• 10. bri  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:49 am

lindsey, amelie would be so fun!

• 11. Melanie  |  September 25th, 2012 at 9:08 am

Seriously. This is SO COOL. I love it. And I’d love to see an Amelie shoot. That’s one of my top three favorite movies. If you want to do my other two, try Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Lost in Translation. :)

• 12. Caitlin  |  September 25th, 2012 at 9:13 am

WOW!

Weird and SO WONDERFUL!!!

I’d have to throw in any of the Wes Anderson movies as a suggestion :)

• 13. Lauren  |  September 25th, 2012 at 9:24 am

breathtaking photos. definitely my favorite style post so far!

• 14. tish  |  September 25th, 2012 at 9:26 am

KUDOS! Clockwork scared the living EFFING ISH out of me, but you did an amazing job recreating it. The makeup is the bomb.com. Your makeup artist rocks!

• 15. monica  |  September 25th, 2012 at 9:26 am

you pretty much nailed it! Intrigued to see the short film you’re talking about. :)

• 16. Bettina  |  September 25th, 2012 at 9:43 am

Can’t wait to see the film you guys made! Love the way you interpreted the female version!

• 17. Kathryn  |  September 25th, 2012 at 9:54 am

<3 <3 <3

• 18. Shawnee  |  September 25th, 2012 at 9:57 am

WOW. these photos are incredible…you are gorgeous! can’t wait to see the film! xo

• 19. Mel  |  September 25th, 2012 at 10:02 am

• 20. sue  |  September 25th, 2012 at 10:07 am

super cool… the photography brings the styling to life… just gorgeous!

• 21. m  |  September 25th, 2012 at 10:09 am

AMAZING. I am a huge Stanley Kubrick fan. Your version is stunning

• 22. Lauren M.  |  September 25th, 2012 at 10:15 am

LOVE this!!! I saw the movie for the first time last year and found it very entertaining. I love these photos.

MyersMaison.blogspot.com

• 23. Katie  |  September 25th, 2012 at 10:35 am

This is amazingly epic and beautiful! So inspiring. Can’t wait for the rest of the content.

• 24. colby  |  September 25th, 2012 at 10:37 am

omg omg omg these are PERFECT!!!

• 25. Malori  |  September 25th, 2012 at 11:01 am

You look stunning!! That eye makeup is pretty fabulous as well. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

• 26. sharon  |  September 25th, 2012 at 11:02 am

this is too cool! you keep coming up with the coolest shoots. thanks for sharing them with us (:

• 27. alicia  |  September 25th, 2012 at 11:22 am

you should do an edie sedgwick inspired shoot :)

• 28. Tanicia  |  September 25th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

This is my second favorite style post of yours. So great.

• 29. Sharon @ Currently Coveting  |  September 25th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Maude from “Harold and Maude”! One of my favorite movies.

• 30. Oleah  |  September 25th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

wow, this is awesome.

xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

• 31. Mfree  |  September 25th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

WOW. This shoot is amazing…that eye is crazy cool! If i had to pick a movie it would probably be Brewster Mccloud by altman.. the scenes of the mechanical bird are brilliant.

• 32. lydia {ever ours}  |  September 25th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

loving this. totally love your take!

• 33. Sarah  |  September 25th, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Brilliant and stunning! I’d love to recreate an Indiana Jones kind of look!

• 34. Lisa  |  September 25th, 2012 at 2:30 pm

You have rocked this one lady ! The styling is perfect and the final pictures are beyond gorgeous.
    P.s : you have a very strong expression range Bri. Have you ever considered acting ? :)

• 35. Matisse  |  September 25th, 2012 at 2:30 pm

My absolute favourite shoot you have done! AMAZING! And I want those boots.

• 36. Really?  |  September 25th, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I don’t know… I’m not going to knock how awesome you translated the look but come on… this movie is such a horrible horrible thing to emulate!!! …no matter how awesome his all white / weird eye make-up might be. A rapist Bri? Really? I’m surprised this hasn’t bothered more people and that I am the first negative comment.

• 37. bri  |  September 25th, 2012 at 2:59 pm

it’s about the style of the film, the fashion…not the content.

• 38. Alison  |  September 25th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Implying that you can’t use a fictional villain as an inspirational character for a photoshoot, to me, is like saying that the actor himself should have been ashamed to play the part in the first place. Both are ways of emulating a darker character to create art. Not all creative inspiration has to be 100% wholesome, and its even possible to be inspired by aesthetics alone.

Bri – BEAUTIFUL work here. I’ve never seen the movie, but I can tell it must have been filmed with an aesthetic that inspired you. I can’t wait to see what you do next.

– Alison { aliology.com }

• 39. LARY @ Inspiration Nook  |  September 25th, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Simply amazing Bri! Love this!!!! Wish I could be part of these shoots. If you ever need any help count me in. :)

• 40. gracie  |  September 25th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I hate Alex’s character, and that movie is so so disturbing but you have done this amazingly! Love it.

• 41. Kate  |  September 25th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I’m so far from being a movie buff it’s not even funny so my word here comes with a (few) grain(s) of salt, but I also would looooove to see Amelie re-imagined–a trip to Montmartre may be in order

• 42. Brigitta Ryan  |  September 25th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I would do Breakfast Club.
    I love Design Sponge’s ‘Living In..’ series.

BTW I posted about A Clockwork Orange once (a simple behind the scenes photo) and received some negative feedback on it too.

• 43. Rebecca - A Daily Something  |  September 25th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

OH MY GOSH BRI! This is one of my fave style posts. You’re gorgeous, and this is SO SO UNIQUE! Cannot wait for part 2!!!

• 44. Arbine  |  September 25th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Stunning! Absolutely stunning! Hope you have a lovely day. :)

• 45. Arbine  |  September 25th, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Oh and I would recreate Alice in Wonderland for a style post. :)

• 46. Victoria Smith  |  September 25th, 2012 at 8:00 pm

LOVE IT! yes, on edie bouvier beale, and how about edie sedgewick, too?

• 47. vicki  |  September 26th, 2012 at 5:37 am

Love this!! I hope you do more of these Bri!! Have never seen the film as ive heard its a bit disturbing but your shoot has inspired me to try photo shoot style posts on my own blog. Pinned half these images :) xo

• 48. Hannelore  |  September 26th, 2012 at 5:47 am

I love this post, I’m curious to see the movie!

• 49. Sarolta  |  September 26th, 2012 at 10:06 am

I LOVE that make-up!

• 50. Suggestion  |  September 26th, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’m a little bummed about the insensitivity of this post. Fashion is one thing, but be careful what you support and promote to such a large following. I’m not trying to hate, I just want to suggest that you are more cautious with what you promote in the future.

• 51. friday's here!&hellip  |  September 28th, 2012 at 11:01 am

[…] a clockwork orange style post. […]

• 52. STYLE / 70 | D E S I G N &hellip  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 5:02 am

[…] noises have me all anxious. but it’s a ridiculously good movie, right? last week we did a clockwork orange style post and this week it’s all about the grady twins from the shining. and there’s also a video […]

• 53. Rachael B  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 9:14 am

the fourth to last shot is definitely my favorite. the heightened white on black just makes it perfect. i’ve always loved clockwork orange and this only reminds me of my deep love for it.

• 54. Abbey  |  October 8th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

That book is nuts! Sometimes I like to speak Nadsat.

• 55. RETRO | D E S I G N L O V&hellip  |  October 9th, 2012 at 10:04 pm

[…] a cool french new wave inspired shoot from zoo magazine. black mesh magic up above, and great patterns down below… (those eyelashes sure remind me of these!) […]

• 56. HIGHLIGHT REEL | bloglov.&hellip  |  December 27th, 2012 at 2:45 pm