09.28.12

MAKE IT / 20

our first collaborative make it post! jennifer beeman, designer of hound clothing and the mastermind behind grainline studio has made a downloadable clutch pattern exclusively for designlovefest.

it’s a wonderful, versatile piece and we’ve had a great time making it. many thanks to jen for sharing all her talents with us. if you like to sew than don’t miss her patterns and tutorials over here. this is also a really fun project because it uses leather, and you will probably fall in love with how easy it is to work with. now let’s get started…

what you’ll need:

• download THIS CLUTCH PATTERN (2784), six sheets total will print. there is a 3×3 inch square printed on the pattern so that you can be sure it is printed to the correct size
• 4 square feet of leather (you can also use vinyl, suede, felt or reuse a big leather skirt from the thrift store if you want)
• 1 yd of leather cord, string, shoelace, etc.
• paper scissors
• double sided tape
• fabric pencil that allows you to write on whatever material you have chosen
• pattern weight (ours are just large washers from the hardware store)
• heavy duty scissors
• paper tape
• glue that is labelled to be used on leather OR a glovers needle and thick thread or cord
• exacto knife (or leather punch if you’re lucky enough to own one)

how to make it:

• assemble the pieces of the pattern by adjoining sides together using the number/letter combinations to guide you. tape together and cut out.
• lay pattern on top of your leather piece and weigh down in the corners.
• trace around pattern with marker pencil, being sure not to overlook the clasp placements (you can slice a hole in the paper pattern with an exacto to help you)

• with heavy duty scissors cut out your pattern (***save all of your leather scraps and store somewhere safe, we promise you’ll be happy you did in a few weeks from now) you can cut the 2 clasp areas either using a leather punch or by cutting a small “X” with a sharp exacto.
• fold the side flaps together and secure with paper tape from the inside as shown in the photo.
• run a nice, smooth bead of glue about an 1/8th inch from the edge of the bottom flap. take care to not use too much glue so that it doesn’t run out the seam. you can practice on a scrap if you aren’t sure how much glue to use.
• carefully fold the bottom up to the top and weight down and let dry.

* if you prefer you can sew the seam by hand just as long as you use the proper needle and thread.

• to make reusable closure, take your cord of choice, tie a knot in the end and run it through the clasp opening from inside of the body of the bag, though the inside of the flap to the outside
• tie it up, wear it out. dress it up, dress it down:

switch up the strap and you have a completely new look. the cobalt + brooch pairs nicely with my fancy gold dotted dress and the cobalt + leather strap is perfect for this casual striped madewell dress. we are excited to see your creations and pairings!

click to download the (tiled) 8 DAYS A WEEK CLUTCH PATTERN HERE (1687)

project by: natalie shriver & grainline studio for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

• 1. tianna @ suffocated bliss  |  September 28th, 2012 at 7:10 am

I love the cobalt blue, and hoe simple this looks. – And that gold, polka-dot dress is super cute. Thanks for the tutorial.

- tianna :)

• 2. Pink Ronnie  |  September 28th, 2012 at 7:13 am

What a wonderful idea! The finished clutch looks amazing. Love the choice of blue.
    Ronnie xo

• 3. 8 Days a Week Clutch for &hellip  |  September 28th, 2012 at 7:13 am

[...] been working on for the past few weeks with Natalie Shriver for Bri of designlovefest…a downloadable clutch pattern! Working on this pattern with Natalie and Bri was awesome, such fun and creative ladies, and I love [...]

• 4. Jen  |  September 28th, 2012 at 7:17 am

It looks so so great!! I had such a fun time working on this with you ladies, thanks!!!!

• 5. rachael adele  |  September 28th, 2012 at 7:23 am

i appreciate that your diy’s are always something that every girl would totally love making + using. this is super cute! xo

• 6. Molly Alone  |  September 28th, 2012 at 7:30 am

Usually I look at DIY posts purely for entertainment, or like “one day when I have the time… this would be cool”, but this is the first posts when I’m planning to go to the fabric store on my lunch TO-DAY! Thanks, Bri (and team!). Have a great weekend :)

• 7. Monsterscircus  |  September 28th, 2012 at 7:34 am

Freaking good DIY, love the envelope shape and the Electric blue colour! Thank you so much for tutorial and pattern, have wonderful weeken!

• 8. chrisi  |  September 28th, 2012 at 7:54 am

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing; I definitely want to try this out this weekend, that blue color is gorgeous :]
    xoxo
    Chrisi

• 9. Wanett  |  September 28th, 2012 at 8:15 am

Beautiful!! That blue is amazing!!

• 10. monica  |  September 28th, 2012 at 8:48 am

this is actually pretty cool! Love this project.

• 11. Stephania  |  September 28th, 2012 at 9:00 am

This is ADORABLE! Thank you for sharing! I cannot wait to try this!

• 12. Cori Magee  |  September 28th, 2012 at 9:04 am

You guys get more and more creative every time! love this idea

• 13. Leigh  |  September 28th, 2012 at 9:16 am

This is such an awesome DIY! Plus, I love cobalt!

• 14. Bettina  |  September 28th, 2012 at 10:55 am

Love this, it seems easy enough for me to try!

• 15. Cat  |  September 28th, 2012 at 11:24 am

oh my god. this is just straight up gorgeous! doesn’t look homemade at all! love it! you are a genius!

• 16. LindseyBee  |  September 28th, 2012 at 11:34 am

I’m going to enjoy making this! I must say that Feist’s “1,2,3,4″ song immediately played while watching your animated .gif. Makes it that much more amazing!

• 17. tasha  |  September 28th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Im going to do this! So cool. I am loving it.

• 18. Sarah  |  September 28th, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Your DIY posts are always so graphic and practical, this doesn’t look like a do it yourself project at all, and who can say no to cobalt and nice photography? THANKS!

• 19. Chick Tyler  |  September 28th, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Definitely downloaded!

• 20. Michelle | Gold-hearted  |  September 29th, 2012 at 7:40 am

Totally genius and so chic!

• 21. Second Floor Flat  |  September 29th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Such a great idea! I love this color blue and it looks awesome with both dress options. In other words, well done!

• 22. Kryn  |  September 30th, 2012 at 6:08 am

Love this DIY! And where is that polka dot dress from…I need to get my hands on it, it’s gorgeous!

• 23. kate  |  September 30th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I’m with Kryn, where is that polka dot dress from?! That is something special! (so I totally understand if you don’t want to share, but would love if you did.)

• 24. DIY: Leather Clutch | Whi&hellip  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 7:25 am

[...] pretty much adore anything from the Designlovefest Make It column. But we REALLY adore this leather clutch! Especially the [...]

• 25. Emily  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:37 am

Who makes that beautiful gold dotted dress!?

• 26. Friday Favorites / 5 | my&hellip  |  October 19th, 2012 at 5:01 am

[...] MAKE IT/20 Make Your Own Clutch from DESIGNLOVEFEST [...]

• 27. Cam  |  October 31st, 2012 at 8:04 am

Where do you purchase your fabrics from?

• 28. Jasmin  |  November 20th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I click the link for the pattern and nothing loads on the page…please help.

• 29. MAKE IT / 27 | D E S I G &hellip  |  December 14th, 2012 at 6:30 am

[...] few weeks ago we made a bright leather clutch (see here!) and we had all sorts of scraps left over from the project. we couldn’t see them go to [...]

• 30. Tim  |  December 28th, 2012 at 10:59 am

It’s amazing how polka dots are making a come back. I keep seeing more and more people wearing polka dotted clothing.

• 31. Emily {glitter&stripes}  |  February 15th, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I just made a leather and suede one from your instructions! Wish I could upload them here to show!

• 32. Laura  |  March 4th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

LOVELY! The color is perfect, totally something I would wear

• 33. The Midas Clutch | Katy &&hellip  |  August 25th, 2013 at 9:50 pm

[...] wanted to make with the leather of my dreams: an envelope style clutch purse. I found this (free!) pattern designed by Jen of Grainline Studio for Design Love Fest and realized it was absolutely perfect [...]

THIS BAG…