08.09.12

SECRET INGREDIENTS / 02

when it comes to this blog, there are a few main guidelines i try to stick to. i have always been one of those people that thinks you can say so much more with less. i believe in the bold, the powerful and the simple. just think about people’s attention spans these days – it’s all about fast scrolling, fast forwarding, and getting to the point.

if you provide people with content you believe in, every single time, that builds trust. your readers should know that on the other side of your tweet link there will be something interesting, even if it’s just a couple words. (well, that’s the hope anyways). my twitter/blog philosophy has always been just say what it is, in the most straight-forward way possible. here, check out the difference:

1. This beautiful Diane Von Furstenberg dress just went on sale and I must have it for my outdoor barbecue that I am throwing this weekend with my family. (link)

2. the perfect outdoor bbq dress…(link)

now, this may not be your way of going about it, it’s only my personal opinion…but this concept translates through so many aspects of blogging. take a style post for instance. if a photographer gives me 15 photo options for one look, i am going to choose 4-5 max. i technically could show all 15, but the importance of editing down is VITAL. if photo number 4 and 5 technically SAY the same thing, then just choose the best shot or angle. you can always put outtakes on your facebook page if you can’t part with the extras.

i really learned this in my experience at rue magazine as well. if a 12 page spread could be edited down to 6 STRONG pages, then why not just show the best of the best? i started this motto when i was working there…”only excellence.” people won’t miss those extra shots, i promise. they will only be inspired by the content you are giving them…and hopefully you will leave them wanting more.
this post is in partnership with smartwater! smartwater, simplicity is delicious. click here to learn more.

Pink Ronnie says:

Couldn’t agree more. That’s one of the reasons I love your posts so much, because you excel at editing.
    Ronnie xo

I believe in a life and work well edited. That was a huge takeaway for me from Feet First + Blogshop in LA this past April. The whole team did a fantastic job of conveying the importance of putting your best, edited work out there. Hope you are well. Love the direction you are taking DesignLoveFest.

Laura says:

Great advice and so true…thanks for your insight!

Best!
    Laura

rita says:

thank you. i really needed this today… i’m so new to this whole blogging thing but just yesterday i pulled a post because i just didn’t feel like it was perfect and ready to be shared. i struggled to describe it, but i think only excellence will be my new motto going forward. thank you!

ashley beilharz says:

Always giving me something to think about!
    Thanks!

Katherine says:

Guilty as charged. I tend to be a little, well, verbose when it comes to writing. What can I say, I love written words! I’m excited for BlogShop Dallas-clearly I need a lot of help when it comes to blogging…

Tiffany says:

Editing is what takes creatives from good to great. I’m a writer and though something might sound phenomenal, good editing (especially for web copy) makes it tighter, succinct, but still delivers the point with flair.

Jess says:

Love this piece of advice! Definitely going to keep it in mind moving forward. 🙂

Alison says:

I am really grateful that you said this, because I find it hard to know how to balance simple with my own style which is probably more gourmand.

taylor says:

Really good post. It’s so hard to part with great photos, but you’re right that less is more. And great idea to use the outtakes on facebook.

emily says:

Thanks so much for this. I always worry that I don’t say enough, or too much… But knowing that all you have to say is what you MUST say, nothing more, nothing less, helps me move forward with a bit more confidence in my blogging. Have a lovely day!! xo

Megan says:

Good stuff. Good, good stuff.

Sarolta says:

I was just poring over a post about my wedding and so unhappy about my writing. So I made a pause and came over to DLF. And here the answer to my problem waited. I love my post now. Thank you!

catherine says:

Really excellent advice. I’m a babbler + would like to modify that just a wee bit. Thanks for the push.

Only Excellence. Great motto. – I also agree that getting your point across in a well thought out ans concise way is always more effective than giving unnecessary details.

Eva says:

Totally agree!

Latrina says:

Great GREAT idea, Bri! As always. 🙂

LaTrelle says:

yes! i completely agree with this post.

annawithlove says:

Great message! you do this beautifully and effortlessly! xo

Hilary says:

Well said and so true! Editing is absolutely essential for any creative pursuit, I believe. Consider everything and then edit down to only truly the best.

Allie S says:

this is a very good reminder, and i completely agree. as a blogger, i always want my readers to trust in the content i’m sharing and to do that in few words is absolutely better!

Rita says:

I subscribe to a lot of really great blogs, but yours is the first I go to and it is a treat every time. You do a great, snappy job!

Samantha says:

This is such a great post!! You are so right – quality over quantity! It’s like that quote, “I would have written you a shorter letter, but I didn’t have the time.”

xo, sam

”only excellence.” I love it. It’s hard to edit, but it’s so essential. Thank you for the great advice!

Kelly says:

I couldn’t agree more on this topic!

Patti Murphy says:

This is so true! Your posts and links are always the perfect ounce of inspiration. Not too overwhelming and enough to keep me wanting to come back for more.

Thank you. This is something that I need to remind myself – to KISS more often!