08.27.12

OLD ROOTS

lately i have been discovering new things i love. but today i took it back to my old roots…beautiful type. i used to research fonts and handrawn typography all day long!

i have also been getting super organized over on pinterest. these are from my type board here!

one of my favorite classes in college was calligraphy. it was by no means easy, but so wonderful when you finished a letter with the perfect tail. i haven’t practiced in forever…it would be fun to get back into it.

do you appreciate good handwriting too?

(photo credit top to bottom: 1, 2, 3)

yaz says:

So into text! its so necessary in design now and i am into arabic calligraphy at the moment. .its just so beautifully done and looks like a pattern but at the same time as a meaning to it !

– yaz raja ‘xo

Judith says:

I love TYPOGRAPHY! And I can’t stop taking pictures when I come across beautiful type… love your Pinterest board! It’s filled with gems.

cayt o'neal says:

As a writer, I feel like handwriting is often the most personal mark you can make in your art! Those who have a gift for creating lovely type or who have achieved beautiful penmanship are my heroes… In my own handwriting I just reach for as much authenticity as possible! Have always dreamed of really learning calligraphy, perhaps this is the nudge I needed… 🙂

robyn says:

handwritten type is so important…and becoming so forgotten. I truly appreciate good calligraphy!

janet says:

Great post! I wish I can write better. My handwriting is not so great!

*****CHANEL handbag giveaway http://www.fashion-a-holic.com*******

monica says:

I’m really into calligraphy. I got a starter kit and it’s SO hard. I’m thinking about singing up to this class:
    sounds pretty cool, right?

Brooke says:

Love the “Books and Coffee” type treatment. So organic and delicate! Thanks for sharing.

Laura says:

YES! I’ve been missing your typography inspirations. Not sure I have the discipline for calligraphy myself, but I can swoon over others’ pretty handwriting.

I love looking at other people’s handwriting. And I like when people say they like mine. 😉 Happy Monday!

Vanessa says:

YES! Absolutely love me some good handwriting. Sadly, I have AWFUL handwriting!

Stefanie says:

the best type of type is the kind that looks handwritten! that type in the second image is perfection.

Anonymous says:

might be worth giving a credit to the people who created the lettering on the blog as opposed to forcing me to click through to your pins.

I am obsessed with beautiful handwriting and typography and would really like to take a calligraphy class. It is so beautiful and I would love to learn how to do it!! Not to say I will be good at it…haha

Allie Shultz says:

Love these! I’ve always had an interest in fonts and typography as well. The font in the “Bon Bon” photo is my favorite.

bri says:

good point anon. this was actually something that i completely forgot and should have done.

These ones are lovely! In high school I spent a years worth of maths classes copying my friends immaculate handwriting. Probably explains why I’m so useless at stats now – but I do have good handwriting still!

Ashley says:

Yes!! I could look at handwritten type all day, everyday 🙂

Jaclyn says:

I have always loved how type can completely transform a project. I spend so much time looking for that perfect font and even hand addressed all of my wedding invites just so they had the right feel. I love your bon bon text so much.

Stay in the Lines

Danielle says:

I just found a book cover the other day and loved the black & white type because it looked effortless… you can see it here: http://thisisourradname.tumblr.com/

Sarah says:

Beautiful! My handwriting has become atrocious because I type so much!

Whitney says:

I have been practicing hand-lettering and calligraphy for a little bit now and I’m becoming obsessed! I definitely have developed a strong love for type, especially handwriting lately.

Megan says:

YES! It’s what I do now to make a living so I’m obsessed!

honeymyheart says:

i am all about good hand writing and think it says a lot about the person at that moment.

kendall says:

old roots is amazing to visit… thank you for the shoe wallpaper.. bringing roots back to my husband who is a shoe designer, he is digging this background … INSPIRATION!!!

dewi-marie says:

oh i love that Stella sign!!!

I vote for the handwriting!

Anonymous says:

thank you!

Kristin B says:

I’m all about handwriting! It’s becoming such a lost art which is a real shame. But I absolutely love sitting down with pen and paper and just doodling it out old school style, whether it be writing letters to my friends, or just for the heck of it. (Hey, it’s therapeutic!) I love handwriting so much, I actually do my entire blog in handwriting… sort of like my own personal letter to the web world. Totally dorky, but I love it so I roll with it. 😉
    As always, awesome sauce inspiration from you here, Bri. Soakin’ it up.

Bitty says:

There’s nothing better than a good font.
    love it

Jordan says:

So jealous you’ve taken a calligraphy class! It’s been on my list forever.

tasha says:

I love people text. Adore great hand writing.

Pingback: secondhandsewn

Love these. I remember being so excited about learning cursive. I’ve always had a passion for lettering. My grandmother sent me a birthday card one year & I adored the way she wrote the “R” in my name. I practiced & practiced until I got it right. And I was the kid in middle school with perfect bubble letters. My handwriting is one of my favorite things about me.

Jennifer M. says:

I never really appreciated type and handwriting until I started taking design and typography classes. Now I am in love with the beauty of a well-made script!