08.31.12

MAKE IT / 18

i snapped a photo of natalie’s journal a while back and i’ve asked her to show you all how to make them this week! it’s such an easy project, but sometimes you just need easy, right? we get carried away around here with our washi tape collections…there are just so many good options to choose from! now, let’s make these journals, shall we?

what you’ll need:

• moleskine journals with kraft covers (any notebook with a smooth paper like cover will work)
• washi tape
• gold foil tape (available at art and hobby stores)
• scissors

how to make it:

• (see above) simply run tape at an angle across cover. leave yourself 1/4 inch of tape along the edges so that you can secure it on the inside of the cover. it’s easiest to run your first tape somewhere across the middle of the notebook.
• continue to add more tape using the first as a guide so that they all run at the same angle parallel to each other.
• where ever possible wrap the tape around the back and continue to tape in one long pass.
• snip ends of tape and secure the ends on the inside on the cover.
• turn notebook over and add more washi to the areas in the corners where the tape hasn’t wrapped all the way around for design continuity.

• add thin gold tape as an accent in the same manner as the washi tape, snip and secure.
• start writing all those big ideas down like you promised yourself you would.

and remember these notebooks we did a few months ago? both of them are great for back to school!

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

Wow, I’ve never seen gold foil tape before – going to look out for it, looks awesome!

LeAnn says:

omg i am SO buying that washi tape and making this AS SOON as the tape comes in the mail! I CAN’T WAIT! and you’re right bri, even though this is super easy, i probably wouldn’t have thought of making it myself if it wasn’t for this post. once again, THANK YOU!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Carrie McDowell says:

agreed! OMG right!?

These would make such great gifts!

these turned out great! they would be good gifts.

yaz says:

Love this D.I.Y – so simple !

– yaz ‘xo

Zu says:

Been wanting to buy washi tape. Will look for it!

Love this idea! I’ve been sitting on a small stack of those Moleskines for a few months, unsure of how to personalize them. The washi tape idea is so simple and pretty. And I have to agree, I’ve never seen gold foil tape like that before, but it’s RAD. I can see it being used for nail art too…

Ashley says:

Um, I NEED that gold foil tape. Love how thin it is!!

Andrea says:

I loveee that gold foil tape! I looked through etsy but can’t find it. Do you know the brand name of it? Or if it’s at ac moore or michaels? Thanks Bri! love these!

lauren says:

these are adorable! i am in love with that heart washi tape. need it.

Mfree says:

These are so cute! love the little detail the gold foil tape adds.

Maycie says:

This is awesome! You can also use these tapes to decorate gift boxes.

Melanie says:

I really suck at DIYs, so I’m always excited to find a cool modern EASY project that I could do. Thank you for sharing!

These are great! I love a project that isn’t to hard, since I’m not a novice crafter. I have some washi tape that I have been wanting to use. I love the clean straight lines. This is a must do!!!!

Alison says:

I LOVE this! I am the definition of a novice crafter, so I also love that this project isn’t too hard. 🙂 The result looks so amazing – maybe its all about the simplicity of the design and the quality of the tape, because I would have thought taping a design could easily look cheap. It looks like it came this way, and maybe it should have! – Alison { aliology.com }

Wow I love these. And yes, that thin gold strip is divine!!!!

Oleah says:

cute DIY.

xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

Mariana says:

So pretty!

I made and posted (this kind of) printed notebook the other day. Love it.

Love this, too!! 🙂

Leah says:

friggin’ LOVE washi tape. cute DIY. Might be a good thing to make for my bridesmaids.

Caprice says:

Perfect timing. Need a new notebook + love the idea.

Customization without massive labor? Yes, please.

Wow. Easy peasy and cute!

look see says:

Love how simple thisone is 🙂

Ashleyj says:

I love these- cute & super simple. I can also image using this idea for gift wrapping presents with brown paper & washi tape.

Laura Trevey says:

So easy and so fun ~ the perfect combination!!

Noor says:

Super cute but now I have to find the gold accent I can imagine that looking awesome everywhere.

Noor
    Little Pink Strawberries

Anonymous says:

when i first saw this post yesterday, i clicked on the link and the tape was $4…now its $5?? 🙁 thats not cool

anonymous says:

Leigh says:

You’ve inspired me with your classes (I haven’t taken one yet, but the idea is perfect) and I finally have figured out how to make video photos! Love this tutorial!

Anonymous says:

These are super cool!

Nina says:

Hey bri, you should do your next advice post on rules and regulations bloggers should follow on contests, random giveaways, when you get paid to promote things..disclosing affiliate links where you(bloggers) makemoney off of clicks andpurchases, etc…and following FTC regulations. That would be a nice way to follow up on your mistake and take ownership for something you did wrong, but corrected, and show your dear readers that you are taking responsibility and not hiding away in the comments…like that hardworking professional you are.

Art and Chic says:

Simple, easy and beautiful!
    Great DIY!

Caroline says:

These are adorable, and the pics are so dreamy. Thanks for the great DIY!

anonymous says:

nina needs to chill the fck out.

Briana says:

a new follower here and boy do i have a major blog crush! this is the perfect washi tape project for my little crafting event. thank you! i would love to know where you purchased your gold foil tape! i have been looking around without any luck.

Leeanna says:

I can’t wait to get a hold of a ton of washi tape. I saw some sold on Etsy. It’s hard for me to go into craft stores and not spend a ton of money. But if I know what I want I can buy it on line, and just get that one thing.

Serine says:

So pretty and easy and inspiring!

washi says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish
    be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further
    formerly again since exactly the same nearly very
    often inside case you shield this hike.

www.migs.ca says:

Heyy there! This is my first visit too your blog! We are a
    team of volunteers and starting a new project in a communhity in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial infrmation to wofk on.

You have done a wonderful job!

SEO says:

Hello! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good
    data you might have right here on this post. I shall be coming again
    to your weblog for extra soon.

My website – SEO

American bungalow model constructions have characteristics like 1 and half stories, central
    dwelling area, low pitched horizontal roof, fitted shelves and
    cabinets. People who live here For quite sometime Keep their pets inside.
    After the film, Megan Fox was nominated for the “Breakthrough Performance” category
    in the MTV Movie Awards.

With the latest study from PEW Research stating that 95% of teens have access to the
    Internet, 80% of kids have cell phones and 48% have data plans, providing a safe cyber-space should be a priority
    for all parents. In addition, many of the words used started to take on slightly different meanings, depending on the context in which they are
    used. Efficiency: Many carriers provide multiple receive emails, so your fax messages are
    automatically delivered to whomever you intend.

Each new age brought the criminal element forward with it.

A VPN creates an encrypted connection to a third-party server,
    and all your Internet traffic is routed through
    that server. The Unit is powered by the Main chip adopting the CORTEX A8
    core Sam – Sung S5PV210,and CPU frequency up
    to 1GHz, Memory 512MB, internal 2G memory space for TV and Internet integration.

Nice answer back in return of this matter with solid arguments
    and telling everything about that.

Theda says:

Excellent site you have here but I was curious if you knew of
    any message boards that cover the same topics discussed
    in this article? I’d really like to be a part
    of group where I can get opinions from other experienced people that share the same interest.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Thanks a lot!

It’s remarkable to go to see this web page and reading the views of all colleagues on the topic of this post, while
    I am also eager of getting know-how.

It’s Feng Yi woke up? Nathaniel Martello-White restrain Hermia Matti HoughtonThe lovers are
    tossed and turned juice diet past tthe wit of man is Pyramus?
    Puck was gone and you wish. In theory, finds out juice
    diet about thiis one. Place them in Imperial helmets!

Here is my web site; see this site

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this blog
    loading? I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Your style is very unique in comparison to other people I’ve read stuff from.
    I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this web site.

Highly descriptive article, I liked that
    bit. Will there be a part 2?

jamie says:

Was anybody able to find the thin gold tapes?

Greеtings! Very helpful аdvice within
    this post! It’s thе little changes that mаke
    thе bіggest сhanges. Τhanks a lot for
    sharіng!