08.31.12

MAKE IT / 18

i snapped a photo of natalie’s journal a while back and i’ve asked her to show you all how to make them this week! it’s such an easy project, but sometimes you just need easy, right? we get carried away around here with our washi tape collections…there are just so many good options to choose from! now, let’s make these journals, shall we?

what you’ll need:

• moleskine journals with kraft covers (any notebook with a smooth paper like cover will work)
• washi tape
• gold foil tape (available at art and hobby stores)
• scissors

how to make it:

• (see above) simply run tape at an angle across cover. leave yourself 1/4 inch of tape along the edges so that you can secure it on the inside of the cover. it’s easiest to run your first tape somewhere across the middle of the notebook.
• continue to add more tape using the first as a guide so that they all run at the same angle parallel to each other.
• where ever possible wrap the tape around the back and continue to tape in one long pass.
• snip ends of tape and secure the ends on the inside on the cover.
• turn notebook over and add more washi to the areas in the corners where the tape hasn’t wrapped all the way around for design continuity.

• add thin gold tape as an accent in the same manner as the washi tape, snip and secure.
• start writing all those big ideas down like you promised yourself you would.

and remember these notebooks we did a few months ago? both of them are great for back to school!

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

• 1. Cats & Florals  |  August 31st, 2012 at 7:16 am

Wow, I’ve never seen gold foil tape before – going to look out for it, looks awesome!

• 2. LeAnn  |  August 31st, 2012 at 7:17 am

omg i am SO buying that washi tape and making this AS SOON as the tape comes in the mail! I CAN’T WAIT! and you’re right bri, even though this is super easy, i probably wouldn’t have thought of making it myself if it wasn’t for this post. once again, THANK YOU!!! :) :) :)

• 3. Laura @ LauraLikesDesign  |  August 31st, 2012 at 7:21 am

These would make such great gifts!

• 4. Natalie / Half Asleep Studio  |  August 31st, 2012 at 7:50 am

these turned out great! they would be good gifts.

• 5. yaz  |  August 31st, 2012 at 8:03 am

Love this D.I.Y – so simple !

– yaz ‘xo

• 6. Zu  |  August 31st, 2012 at 8:16 am

Been wanting to buy washi tape. Will look for it!

• 7. Cori Magee  |  August 31st, 2012 at 8:21 am

Super cute!

• 8. Lesley Myrick  |  August 31st, 2012 at 9:00 am

Love this idea! I’ve been sitting on a small stack of those Moleskines for a few months, unsure of how to personalize them. The washi tape idea is so simple and pretty. And I have to agree, I’ve never seen gold foil tape like that before, but it’s RAD. I can see it being used for nail art too…

• 9. Ashley  |  August 31st, 2012 at 9:07 am

Um, I NEED that gold foil tape. Love how thin it is!!

• 10. Andrea  |  August 31st, 2012 at 9:43 am

I loveee that gold foil tape! I looked through etsy but can’t find it. Do you know the brand name of it? Or if it’s at ac moore or michaels? Thanks Bri! love these!

• 11. lauren  |  August 31st, 2012 at 9:51 am

these are adorable! i am in love with that heart washi tape. need it.

• 12. Mfree  |  August 31st, 2012 at 10:00 am

These are so cute! love the little detail the gold foil tape adds.

• 13. Maycie  |  August 31st, 2012 at 10:09 am

This is awesome! You can also use these tapes to decorate gift boxes.

• 14. Melanie  |  August 31st, 2012 at 11:00 am

I really suck at DIYs, so I’m always excited to find a cool modern EASY project that I could do. Thank you for sharing!

• 15. Courtney McClernan  |  August 31st, 2012 at 11:01 am

These are great! I love a project that isn’t to hard, since I’m not a novice crafter. I have some washi tape that I have been wanting to use. I love the clean straight lines. This is a must do!!!!

• 16. Alison  |  August 31st, 2012 at 11:13 am

I LOVE this! I am the definition of a novice crafter, so I also love that this project isn’t too hard. :) The result looks so amazing – maybe its all about the simplicity of the design and the quality of the tape, because I would have thought taping a design could easily look cheap. It looks like it came this way, and maybe it should have! – Alison { aliology.com }

• 17. Dana McDowell  |  August 31st, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Wow I love these. And yes, that thin gold strip is divine!!!!

• 18. oh, and happy friday&hellip  |  August 31st, 2012 at 1:03 pm

[...] diy washi tape journal. [...]

• 19. Oleah  |  August 31st, 2012 at 1:19 pm

cute DIY.

xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

• 20. Mariana  |  August 31st, 2012 at 2:01 pm

So pretty!

I made and posted (this kind of) printed notebook the other day. Love it.

Love this, too!! :)

• 21. Leah  |  August 31st, 2012 at 2:07 pm

friggin’ LOVE washi tape. cute DIY. Might be a good thing to make for my bridesmaids.

• 22. Caprice  |  August 31st, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Perfect timing. Need a new notebook + love the idea.

Customization without massive labor? Yes, please.

• 23. Debi Sementelli  |  August 31st, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Wow. Easy peasy and cute!

• 24. look see  |  September 1st, 2012 at 12:56 am

Love how simple thisone is :)

• 25. saturday link love «&hellip  |  September 1st, 2012 at 1:17 am

[...] Design Love Fest : washi tape journals [...]

• 26. Ashleyj  |  September 1st, 2012 at 5:54 am

I love these- cute & super simple. I can also image using this idea for gift wrapping presents with brown paper & washi tape.

• 27. Laura Trevey  |  September 1st, 2012 at 6:55 am

So easy and so fun ~ the perfect combination!!

• 28. Noor  |  September 1st, 2012 at 7:30 am

Super cute but now I have to find the gold accent I can imagine that looking awesome everywhere.

Noor
    Little Pink Strawberries

• 29. Anonymous  |  September 1st, 2012 at 2:35 pm

when i first saw this post yesterday, i clicked on the link and the tape was $4…now its $5?? :( thats not cool

• 30. anonymous  |  September 1st, 2012 at 2:36 pm

• 31. Leigh  |  September 1st, 2012 at 2:38 pm

You’ve inspired me with your classes (I haven’t taken one yet, but the idea is perfect) and I finally have figured out how to make video photos! Love this tutorial!

• 32. Anonymous  |  September 1st, 2012 at 5:02 pm

These are super cool!

• 33. Kate  |  September 1st, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Such a cute DIY!

• 34. Nina  |  September 1st, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Hey bri, you should do your next advice post on rules and regulations bloggers should follow on contests, random giveaways, when you get paid to promote things..disclosing affiliate links where you(bloggers) makemoney off of clicks andpurchases, etc…and following FTC regulations. That would be a nice way to follow up on your mistake and take ownership for something you did wrong, but corrected, and show your dear readers that you are taking responsibility and not hiding away in the comments…like that hardworking professional you are.

• 35. Art and Chic  |  September 2nd, 2012 at 11:45 am

Simple, easy and beautiful!
    Great DIY!

• 36. Caroline  |  September 3rd, 2012 at 8:08 am

These are adorable, and the pics are so dreamy. Thanks for the great DIY!

• 37. anonymous  |  September 3rd, 2012 at 10:01 am

nina needs to chill the fck out.

• 38. friday five5 DIYs When Yo&hellip  |  September 7th, 2012 at 5:38 am

[...] Journals via DesignLoveFest 2. Jewelry stand via 52 Weeks Project 3. Glitter mini clothespins via Creature [...]

• 39. Briana  |  September 12th, 2012 at 11:35 pm

a new follower here and boy do i have a major blog crush! this is the perfect washi tape project for my little crafting event. thank you! i would love to know where you purchased your gold foil tape! i have been looking around without any luck.

• 40. Courtney  |  September 13th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Gold foil tape : http://store.scrapbook.com/pp-ri-mem21766.html?utm_source=google-shopping-feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-free-shopping-feed&utm_content=pp-ri-mem21766&kw=pp-ri-mem21766&cmp=GSHOP&gclid=CIec_92WtLICFcVFMgodWRMAFw

They also have silver and some other colors. I like the gold though.

• 41. Personaliza los cuadernos&hellip  |  September 25th, 2012 at 7:33 am

[...] idea que he hecho yo la he sacado de esta web, la verdad es que soy una auténtica fan del washi tape, ¡sirve para decorar todo lo que quieras! [...]

• 42. Leeanna  |  October 8th, 2012 at 11:10 am

I can’t wait to get a hold of a ton of washi tape. I saw some sold on Etsy. It’s hard for me to go into craft stores and not spend a ton of money. But if I know what I want I can buy it on line, and just get that one thing.

• 43. Crafting ideas with Japan&hellip  |  October 29th, 2012 at 7:46 am

[...] / Christmas crafty projects. For tutorials, please click the links: Washi Tape your furniture / Christmas Wrapping with Washi Tape / Pegs / Vases / Straw Flags / Tin / Flags / Tags On another note, I also wanted to share this [...]

• 44. Crafting ideas with Japan&hellip  |  October 29th, 2012 at 7:47 am

• 45. Links We Love | Dallas Sh&hellip  |  November 5th, 2012 at 9:51 am

[...] style roundup on D Moms blogWishy Washi tape, another Charlotte find whose coolness is confirmed by Design Love Fest Kate Moss’ candid interview in Vanity Fair’s December issue The Pumpkin Cheesecake [...]

• 46. Serine  |  November 7th, 2012 at 4:03 am

So pretty and easy and inspiring!

• 47. Personaliza los cuadernos&hellip  |  November 24th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

[...] de ir dentro de una mochila un tanto descuidada. La idea que he hecho yo la he sacado de esta web, la verdad es que soy una auténtica fan del washi tape, ¡sirve para decorar todo lo que quieras! [...]

• 48. Healthy Holiday Gift Idea&hellip  |  December 4th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

[...] consuming. If you want something simpler, buy a premade journal and cover with Washi tape. This tutorial from Design Love Fest is incredibly simple and straight [...]

• 49. HIGHLIGHT REEL | D E S I &hellip  |  December 21st, 2012 at 10:58 am

[...] few DIY POSTS for the holidays: 2013 CALENDAR  |  WASHI JOURNALS  |  HANGING [...]

• 50. 25 Ideas for Winter Fun &&hellip  |  January 15th, 2013 at 7:40 am

[...] Washi tape crafts: decorate notebooks, make a washi tape town (and use this washi tape), or even frame some prints on your wall with [...]

• 51. 100 + Washi Tapes Project&hellip  |  March 3rd, 2013 at 5:11 pm

[...] Party Cups | Star (Norwegian) | Kid’s Pedicure |  Christmas Tree | Tap Frames | Hopscotch | Journals | Instagram + Washi | Table Setting & Table [...]

• 52. 14 Festive Ways To Show O&hellip  |  June 29th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

[...] over to Design Love Fest for the full [...]

• 53. PHOTOS: 7 Cool Projects M&hellip  |  July 7th, 2013 at 7:48 am

[...] over to Design Love Fest for the full [...]

• 54. John Oliver: ‘ Hall&hellip  |  August 1st, 2013 at 12:33 pm

[...] Washi Tape jurnal ini diberi sedikit bakat menggunakan berbagai berbeda bermotif tape. Kepala ke Desain cinta Fest untuk tutorial lengkap. Paskah ide: Miniatur bunga keranjang ini ringan keranjang miniatur bunga [...]

• 55. LOOK: The Cutest Way To D&hellip  |  August 12th, 2013 at 6:18 pm

[...] over to Design Love Fest for the full [...]

• 56. Notebook idea for back to&hellip  |  August 20th, 2013 at 5:13 am

[...] Make it at Design Love Fest [...]

• 57. washi  |  January 20th, 2014 at 7:03 am

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish
    be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further
    formerly again since exactly the same nearly very
    often inside case you shield this hike.

• 58. www.migs.ca  |  February 19th, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Heyy there! This is my first visit too your blog! We are a
    team of volunteers and starting a new project in a communhity in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial infrmation to wofk on.

You have done a wonderful job!

• 59. SEO  |  March 1st, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Hello! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good
    data you might have right here on this post. I shall be coming again
    to your weblog for extra soon.

My website – SEO