08.17.12

MAKE IT / 17

i’ve had string lights in almost every place i’ve ever lived in. whether they were on my porch in my first LA apartment, in my dorm room, in my “chill room” i had when i was going through a slightly hippie phase, and we even had them lining the ceiling in our loft. they just make me feel happy and calm. (right?!) so today, natalie did a little spin on the classic hanging lights and added some accessories. these would be perfect for a party you are throwing or just to decorate your room with (see mine above my bed down below!) send us pics if you make them, will ya? happy crafting! -bri

what you’ll need:

- string of lights, we used large sized lights with frosted glass bulbs (ours are from target!)
- roll of thin tooling aluminum (available and craft and hobby stores)
- large sequins, metallic circles and beads in a variety of colors and shapes
- 10 yds of strung silver sequin trim (from the fabric store)
- thick thread in a color to match the wiring of your lights
- needle
- scissors
- pencil

how to make it:

(see above) string sequins, pallettes and beads onto thread in a random fashion and (see below) wrap around the wire on lights. we did ours in 4ft lengths at a time to keep everything from getting all tangled up.
• wrap the silver sequin trim around the cord for extra glitter and sparkle and to cover the thread a bit. this will also help keep your sequins and beads in place.

(below) to make reflectors, create a 4.5 circular pattern out of cover weight paper. fold in half and then fold in half again. snip about 3/8 of an inch from the point in a straight line so that when you open it back up you’ve created a hexagon.
• mark the fold lines with a pencil.
• trace your pattern onto the aluminum using a pencil with a slightly dull point. this will create more of an indent than a drawn line. take care to mark the edges of the fold line to help guide you when you cut the circles out.

• cut circles out. now cut  where the folded lines are, stopping 1/2 inch short of the center. next cut a line in between each of the lines you’ve already cut.
• snip the interior in the same fashion along your folded mark, again taking care to stop short  of the center so that your piece stays intact. you can poke a hole in the center with a needle to help you get scissors through the aluminum for the initial cut.
• bend back the aluminum on the inside and slightly curl the ends for added sparkle.

• unscrew bulb and feed through the center and re insert into socket, taking care to be sure the reflector is resting on the bulb and not touching the metal end of the bulb. this will be easy to tell as the bulb should easily screw back into socket without any interference from the aluminum.

mood lighting solved.

*** to store hanging lights, bend the reflectors around the light bulb carefully and wrap with a little tissue paper. as with all string of lights with large bulbs store with care.

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve + DLF instagram
more DIY projects here

• 1. Pink Ronnie  |  August 17th, 2012 at 5:19 am

The final result looks spectacular! Well done Natalie!
    Ronnie xo

• 2. Monsterscircus  |  August 17th, 2012 at 5:20 am

What a happy idea! It looks so cute! I really want to give it a try, and If I dó, I’ll definitely show it. Have a great Day and weekend and thank for the inspiration!

• 3. Jacquelyn | lark&linen  |  August 17th, 2012 at 5:42 am

This looks amazing, and like it’d be a lot of fun to put together! Great inspiration

• 4. Kate  |  August 17th, 2012 at 6:04 am

You are so cute it’s ridiculous :)

Kate

• 5. Cathy  |  August 17th, 2012 at 6:16 am

This is really cute! I love it!
    xoxo
    Cathy

• 6. tianna @ Suffocated Bliss  |  August 17th, 2012 at 7:31 am

Cute and simple. Adds a little fun to a plain headboard.

- tianna :)

• 7. kristina  |  August 17th, 2012 at 7:51 am

EXCELLENT diy + I just love the way in which you’ve put together this post, design-wise ;) xoxo

• 8. Kate {domestikatedlife}  |  August 17th, 2012 at 8:02 am

I LOVE your pink heart pillow! Do you remember where you got it from?

• 9. mckenna ryan  |  August 17th, 2012 at 8:04 am

This is such a fun way to spice up any room. I love the vivid images and detailed tutorial!

• 10. invitation consultants  |  August 17th, 2012 at 8:26 am

cute! would be a fun craft for kids too!

• 11. Mariah | Oh, What Love Studios  |  August 17th, 2012 at 9:42 am

I love these! I may just have to make a string of these for my home office :)

• 12. Samantha  |  August 17th, 2012 at 10:49 am

What a FUN idea!! I LOVE it!! How could you NOT be happy if you have these lights in your house!!

xo, sam

**Style of Sam**

• 13. Oleah  |  August 17th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

such a great idea! i will definitely be making this.

xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

• 14. Em {pushups with polish}  |  August 17th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

so excited to make these! saw them on instagram this morning and got the supplies after work :) i’m going to town tonight! xxo

• 15. Caroline  |  August 18th, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thank YOU for this great inspiration!
    I spent a few hours this afternoon making old lights blossom based on your guidance. It doesn’t look exactly the same but I kept the spirit of it! I will send you some pictures! Best! x

• 16. Erin  |  August 19th, 2012 at 5:40 am

I love those lights from Target– my back yard is full of the clear ones and I just snagged some frosted ones to use indoors. I will definitely be taking some inspiration from your DIY! Thanks!

• 17. Sarah  |  August 19th, 2012 at 9:51 am

I love this! How fun! So easy too. Perfect for a girls room =)

- Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

• 18. Lisa L.  |  August 19th, 2012 at 9:48 pm

This is brilliant! I love the colors, and I am definitely going to try this out in the future. :D

xoxo,

Mostly Lisa

• 19. Monday Link Love | The Sw&hellip  |  August 20th, 2012 at 5:01 am

[...] Love these cool DIY hanging lights [...]

• 20. Peaches  |  August 20th, 2012 at 11:43 am

SHUT UP. So cute. Wow. I never thought about wrapping sequins around the chord — what a great way to add some sparkle. I want to make one of these to hang up as-is all year round…but I might steal the concept for Xmas too.

Too flippin cool!

• 21. Tuesday: Newsy Snacks For&hellip  |  August 20th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

[...] photos. Mel B and her adorable toddler. The Design Files writes about a cute new crafty book. Some cute lights to make for your place. Our favourites on Courtney Love’s Pinterest account this week. Check [...]

• 22. Marie  |  August 27th, 2012 at 2:53 pm

How cute! :)

• 23. HIGHLIGHT REEL | D E S I &hellip  |  December 21st, 2012 at 10:48 am

[...] a few DIY POSTS for the holidays: 2013 CALENDAR  |  WASHI JOURNALS  |  HANGING LIGHTS [...]

• 24. Sparkly Fairy Light Revam&hellip  |  February 8th, 2013 at 4:55 pm

[...] on February 8, 2013 at 11:55 pm by feeds Repin Like Click here for a tutorial on how to add sparkly aluminium flowers and sequins to jazz up plain fairy [...]

• 25. firearms industry jobs  |  December 29th, 2013 at 10:18 am

Ѕaved ass a favorite, I love your website!

Feel free to visit myy webpage – firearms industry jobs

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg