08.29.12

ADVICE / 31

today’s question…“how do you get the word out that you’re open for business?”

KATIE’S ANSWER
stand on a mountain and scream from the top of your lungs. hang out on a corner of a busy street waving a sign. i lie, don’t do that. word of mouth and social media are your best friends when it comes to letting the world know you’re available for design jobs. tweet about it. have your friends blog about it. tell your old boss that you’d appreciate any referrals to get you going. word will spread. if you don’t think that is enough you can go on sites like indeed.com or stylecareers.com or AIGA’s job board to find freelance work. you can also send around a link to your website to companies you would want to freelance for. let them know you’re now freelancing and available for short or long term projects. do some digging on linkedin and find out who you should be connecting with to get your foot in the door. joining associations like AIGA or ADC wouldn’t hurt. you will meet a lot of people in the industry at those gatherings and you can start building your network. if you’re in a city where their is a Creative Mornings host, go go go! it’s free breakfast, you get to hear a creative person talk about a subject and meet a bunch of people in the industry. go make new friends. when you’re first starting out i imagine (i have yet to make the move into fulltime freelance) that work will be sporadic. you will need to build your client base. that is why bri had suggested saving 6 months of living expense before making the jump just in case things don’t go as planned or as fast as you expected.

and! get your business cards done! you will definitely need those to pass out to all the people you’re going to meet!

(illustration by katie evans. read more freelance advice posts are over here!)

• 1. emily  |  August 29th, 2012 at 9:50 am

Oh my… I so needed this. Thanks for the lovely advice (and it was great to read the past entry about planning, savings, etc.!!). I moved to Portland in June and I’ve been doing my best to attend different design-related events around the city. It’s a bit intimidating and exciting, all at once! I need work on being brave and start networking… This post has giving me the little push I’ve been needing. xo

• 2. elli by studio34E  |  August 29th, 2012 at 9:51 am

cooooooollll!!!!!

• 3. Cori Magee  |  August 29th, 2012 at 9:51 am

Can the next advice post be how the hell to save 6 mo of income? Wow! Please don’t tell me to start cooking and eating at home more. :)

• 4. Cori Magee  |  August 29th, 2012 at 9:52 am

Oh wait, there was an advice post about saving, I’ll re-read it… thanks Emily!

• 5. bri  |  August 29th, 2012 at 10:29 am

hi cori! haha. the way i saved was that i was working at a full-time job and also working in the evenings and weekends on freelance projects. and i hate to say it…but i was also eating at home way more :)

• 6. robyn  |  August 29th, 2012 at 10:29 am

Such helpful info! Thank you so very much. I’m going to bookmark this. :)

• 7. LeAnn  |  August 29th, 2012 at 11:46 am

this advice column is so helpful and inspiring. can you answer this question sometime in the future: i’m just starting to get serious with my blog and i’m wondering what is the best site to use…tumblr, wordpress, blogspot, etc.? what’s out there? what are the pro’s and con’s of each? and when would be the right time to buy my own domain?

any advice would help! :) looking forward to your answer, girls!

• 8. Logan  |  August 29th, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Thank you SO much for these advice posts! I’m not a graphic designer, but I’m a freelance hair and makeup artist and these can totally apply to my business as well!

COOL BEACH TOWEL…