07.23.12

PERFECTIONIST (ME)

i don’t know if you are anything like me, but i take instagram quite seriously. it’s probably silly, but i obsess over the composition, the lighting, the filter, the angle… i just think of every social media outlet as an extension of my brand. this is also called being a total perfectionist (which means everything in life takes twice as long, but is totally worth it)

anyways, it’s always refreshing to see an instagramer who clearly puts a lot of effort into their shots. a merry mishap is one of my favorite follows.

they’re always stylish, good lighting, and you can count on clean and simple.

who are some of your favorite follows and why?

Judith says:

Me too I love following Jennifer’s pictures on Instagram! Her pics (and her website for that matter!) are so well curated and her style is so consistent. I’m always looking forward to new pictures by her.

aly says:

I have realized that I have really slowed down on my social media use (instagram, Facebook, twitter) because I am obsessed with everything being on brand. BUT I don’t even have a REAL brand (I work at a university). I am just obsessed with my own personal brand and how others might perceive me online. It’s kind of stupid!!!

Joana says:

I’m a huge fan of bonnie tsang’s instagram 😉

Pink Ronnie says:

Totally agree – love it when Instagrammers are consistent with the images they curate. I’m a bit of a perfectionist too – sometimes it drives me crazy but it’s totally worth it like you say. 🙂
    @dearleila is one of my favourites and she’s so sweet as well.
    Ronnie xo

kay* says:

love @jasonhudson ‘s instagram feed. amazing composition, light…gorgeous snippets into his everyday life.

I am so right there with you! I appreciate the perfectionism from you and AMM… it makes my feed so pretty. 🙂 I do find that if I obsess over a photo too much it usually isn’t the right photo and I end up scratching it all together! Its always the ones that come naturally that are the best … a couple of my favorite follows are @amandajanejones (I’m loving seeing europe through her eye while she is over there) & @ryanmarshall__ for how he captures such sweet moments with his family. Jeesh.. novel comment. sorry! ha

Katie Ann says:

@matthewdenis is my absolute fav, and he’s my husband. win win.
    @laurenlemon has a feed full of fun and sunshine.
    @thiswildidea does great things with a few megapixels.
    @robinmay brings the visual poetry, and the written poetry as well.

instagram is such a great community, i love that it stretches far beyond borders and states and oceans. some of my dearest friends are those i met on this little app.
    [email protected]

This is so true-every outlet is such a reflection on you and your brand. These are great!
    xoxo
    Cassie

PS-LADIES! I am trying to get an internship but need 100 women to sign up under my name to be considered. Rent the Runway is an amazing fashion site where dresses/accessories are 50-80 percent off. http://www.renttherunway.com/referral/cassiedulworth
    Thanks ladies!

Karen says:

I appreciate the attention to detail. I’m not a fan of most filters. (Just let me see what what the subject matter actually looks like.) Composition, on the other hand, and lighting are something else – when done well, they enhance the subject.

Besides you I love love love anything from @sheepishknitcrochet they are so beautiful!

Mai says:

i completely agree with this post! you are one of my favorite follows for that reason!

Jaclyn says:

I totally agree that instagram images can be composed so well and really be a great extension of who you are and your company or blog. I like clean images like these too. My friend and I actually compare instagram photos and joke about how we want to photograph and post everything.

Stay in the Lines

Hilary says:

I am totally on board with the importance of representing your brand in a congruent manner across all media platforms! And Instagram is so much fun and offers such cool, creative potential… why wouldn’t you want to make it awesome!! Some of my favorite instagrammers definitely include @dabito, @emersonmerrick, @happymundane, and @theobjectenthusiast. Love @missmoss too!

yan palmer says:

oh how i adore instagram. and a merry mishap. she’s an amazing woman (i know her in real life and now i feel so cool, ha!) and grammer! my picks are @denisebovee (thank me later) @pacingthepancicroom (guys gram too!) @sarahwinward (florist/kinfolk contributor/everythingidoisstylish) @houseinhabit (how could anyone who makes and sells teepees not be awesome?). and so many more. grammin is slammin. xo.

yan palmer says:

ooh, how could i forget @amandajanejones. such a dear.

designstiles says:

I feel the same way about Jessica Comingore’s instagram photos. They’re always simple yet perfectly edited.

Soyoung says:

Love this post! I’ll be bookmarking this to go through the instagrammers recommended here. Some of my favorites are: @alicegao, @bluepoolroad, @jessicacomingore, and @rickpoon. I just can’t get enough of seeing the world through their eyes.

invisibly says:

i can totally relate to this. sometimes it takes me forever to start my coffe or to get on with something just because i have to take the perfekt instragram picture first 😉 i’m glad i followed @jebo88 and @jn

tish says:

I get where you’re coming from, but there’s a reason the creator’s gave us filters. It’s fun playing. I get composition and brand, but I love the fun, quirky stories too that come with this app…stories that develop when you let go of perfection and just document the ish out of life.

Trix says:

I can’t wait to check out all the follow favourites recommended in this post! Some Instagrammers I like: @uberfilgrane, @tanergungor, @bonnietsang and @rachelada.

Maine says:

@pugsofinstagram is my must-follow instagram! I need some adorable on my feed. Haha.

Alison says:

I completely obsess over instagram too, so thanks for sharing this! My other favorite follows are @lionhearted_ @withhearts @daydreamlily @alice_gao @jengotch @carlzoch Those are just a few! 🙂

kelsey says:

@timmelideo is AMAZEballs.

Thanks for the tip; it took about two seconds to decide to follow a merry mishap! My most stylish follows are ardisblossom (cute and dreamy); kaketeiruhoshi (interesting) and of course cannellevanille (no explanation needed)!

Sarah says:

Love @connectedfairtrade @axandapple @charmaineolivia

Wishing I had instagram…need to get rid of the Blackberry!

Andrea says:

I find myself liking things that are beautiful composed, super minimalistic or something that I just find plain inspiring. Love instagram so so much, way more than facebook or twitter, such a great way to stay connected to friends but always a way to see what people you look up to are doing (like AMM or Miss Bri)

Some of my favorites include:
    @hellosandwhich
    @danpetty
    @minnaso
    @blakesuarez

I have a giant list of everyone’s faves from here now! can’t wait to check them all out at lunch!
    ~ Andrea @songdancedesign

Cari says:

I’m in love with these instagram photos. Thanks for sharing Bri!

@brothercasad

He is a cinematographer on feature films and his photography is extremely unique. Even when I don’t like a photo, it intrigues me because he has such a great eye for composition.

Theresa says:

So glad I read this post because, it’s true, everything you send out is an extension of you (aka your brand) and should be thoughtfully considered, including Instagram.
    A Merry Mishap is also one of my favorites, along with Mr. Wanger (of course!). Can’t wait to check out the recommendations above.

Ruth says:

Ooooooo, these are lovely, and have now made me think about my own Instagram photo’s a lot more. I’m a definite follower now!

I love instagram so much and LOVE finding new fun people to follow -can’t wait to check these out. My current favorites are:

@willet
    @annariflebond
    @paperfashion
    @honestlywtf
    and @lenadunham has the best captions!

Anna Z says:

I feel exactly the same way about AMM. Sometimes I get frustrated though…I just want her to post a bad photo! haha.

Lynne says:

You’d love @apieceofcake82 – it’s very similar in style to A Merry Mishap + they follow each other!

kelseybess says:

@kelseybess my instagram is my pride and joy, check it out !

anna says:

ohhh! LOVE instagram!
    loving:
    @safawnd
    @trishpapadakos
    @bleubrd
    xo anna @andthenshesaved

What a fun list! And, I might be a little honored that I spotted my name! Yes, Jennifer from a merry mishap is delightful & refreshing! my favorites are the sweet Peggy from blue pool road, Rick Poon’s amazing food photographs & every one of Alice Gao’s photos are like a little treat!

Pingback: MONDAY « BR&Y