07.19.12

MAKE IT / 15

i’ve been waiting weeks to post this new DIY! natalie, arian and I teamed up with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

again and made these three patterned shelves and a cool how-to video. they came out so beautifully, i can barely contain my excitement!

we spent one day sketching and painting outside and the other day styling up the shelves inside with beautiful treasures. above are some of the instagrams i snapped along the way. and here’s what you will need to do to make them all for yourself!

the supplies:

• pre cut wood boards (we used 3 ft. birch boards)
ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

in various sizes
• glossy white and gold spray paint
• aqua craft paint
• shelving hardware
• paint brush

watch the video and follow the steps below!
• sketch designs, linear and geometric are best for this project. we decided to use 3 colors, white, gold and aqua as an accent. make note in your sketch which areas will be painted which color.

• tape out design, on both sides of the board, paying attention to the edges to be sure your design wraps around.

• tape over all areas that you have designated to paint gold.

• spray exposed areas with glossy white paint on both sides and edges. allow to dry completely, the longer you let the paint dry the nicer your final results will be.

• peel tape to expose area to be painted gold and tape over the areas now white. we love the ScotchBlue delicate surface tape for taping over freshly painted areas.

• spray three glamorous layers of gold paint on exposed areas and allow to dry.

• peel off all tape to reveal entire board.

• pick some small areas within your design to tape off and paint Aqua using a paintbrush for accuracy.

• peel last layer of paint to unleash your beautiful new shelf.

• install shelf according to the specifications of your chosen hardware.

it’s time to hang & style these up!

ever since then i’ve been thinking up fun patterns and shapes that would look good in our new home office. i really loved that natalie made three different designs all with the same color scheme. i think it made the project extra special and three of the same style might have been overkill.

shoot days are my favorite. it’s so rewarding to work with such talented people and think of new ideas on the spot. i always learn so much and each shoot goes a little smoother than the last.

i really hope you guys make these shelves, they were SO easy and add such a nice touch to your ordinary wooden shelves.

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
video by:
modshift
photos by: kimberly genevieve + designlovefest’s instagram
more DIY projects here

this project was sponsored by ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

• 1. lesley graham  |  July 19th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

we just put up similar shelving in my daughters’ room and this would have been such a fun detail. looks great!

• 2. Cori Magee  |  July 19th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

holy crap, i love that!

• 3. Hey Sweetie!  |  July 19th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

This is incrediballs! Love.

• 4. Fabiola  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Wow beautiful DIY and styling!

• 5. natalie / half asleep studio  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Ahh! Beautiful! Never would have thought to paint a shelf anything but a pretty solid color, but this is much more interesting.

• 6. mallie  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

awesome, bri! that aqua just pops!

• 7. Jamie | Julia's Poppies Design  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Love the colors!

• 8. C.D. Beatrice Clay  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

GASP.SWOON.LOVE.THE MOST AMAZING DIY EVER!

• 9. Alexis S.  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

So pretty! I want to make these now! I wish I could put shelves up in my rental.

• 10. Bonnie  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

love the scotch arm candy @natalieshriver, sucha fun post!

• 11. Justyna  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Incredible! I love the patterns and the decor! Great work

• 12. lydia {ever ours}  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

love this!

• 13. LARY @InspirationNook  |  July 19th, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Love these!!!!

• 14. Alison  |  July 19th, 2012 at 2:01 pm

These are gorgeous. I am sold on these for the next time I get to do some redecorating. Perhaps in our new apartment!

• 15. Courtney  |  July 19th, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Very cute!

• 16. Victoria Smith  |  July 19th, 2012 at 2:39 pm

amazing. y’all are single-handedly going to put ad agencies out of business. ;)

• 17. Cyn | decyng  |  July 19th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Nice idea! i really like it.

• 18. Mailinh  |  July 19th, 2012 at 6:16 pm

LOVE this! Definitely have it on the DIY list. And I love how you guys look so fashionable when putting it all together. Side question: What is the song you used in the video? Love the tune.

• 19. Jaclyn C.  |  July 19th, 2012 at 6:34 pm

AHHHH! This is amazing! So cute!! Thanks for sharing!!!

• 20. Piper  |  July 19th, 2012 at 7:08 pm

These are so beautiful, I would consider just hanging them flat on my wall side by side-well done! Can’t wait to give it a try:)

• 21. Maria @ All Things Luxurious  |  July 19th, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Wow, these look so great — I love the colors! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! :-)

• 22. Sarah  |  July 19th, 2012 at 7:44 pm

So very cool! Bri, you sure know how to do partnerships seamlessly!

• 23. Jeanee  |  July 19th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Luv…..

• 24. Ashley Brimeyer  |  July 19th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Never stop doing these videos, please :) There’s something very special about them. You’re the coolest, Bri.

• 25. Queen Mother  |  July 19th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!! : )

• 26. Cari  |  July 20th, 2012 at 12:47 am

These shelves are the coolest. The patterns, colours and overall styling are spectacular. Love, love this DIY. Thanks Bri, Natalie and Arian.

• 27. Dear Demoiselle  |  July 20th, 2012 at 2:02 am

This is just gorgeous… I’m going to apply this to our small coffee table. It has seen better days, and I was going to get rid of it, but you made me reconsider. Thank you =)

• 28. Jeran  |  July 20th, 2012 at 4:50 am

Awesome! Love this idea and you photographed it so beautifully. Well done.

• 29. Happy Weekend | Lovestruc&hellip  |  July 20th, 2012 at 5:07 am

[…] This is a definite DIY to try […]

• 30. Leigh  |  July 20th, 2012 at 5:36 am

Oh how fun! What a great way to add creative design to your space! looks so fun!

• 31. Jenny  |  July 20th, 2012 at 5:51 am

Hi!!!
    This looks awesome I am wondering though where you go the shelves?? We have been looking for a set just like this??
    HELP!

• 32. 10 Hot Housewares Project&hellip  |  July 20th, 2012 at 7:00 am

[…] 1. (above) Make Striped Painted Shelves […]

• 33. Fresh Find Friday : The P&hellip  |  July 20th, 2012 at 8:48 am

[…] in 2014… To see how to make your own shelves, and watch a sweet video of the styling how-to, click here. Do we just think that the DesignLoveFest ladies are the cutest? Yes, we […]

• 34. Mfree  |  July 20th, 2012 at 9:54 am

Great patterns! I really love the long stripe on the edge. Awesome work!

• 35. inspired by Beatrice Clay&hellip  |  July 20th, 2012 at 9:55 am

[…] This made me want to head to Home Depot (a D.I.Y) […]

• 36. isa  |  July 20th, 2012 at 11:36 am

a perfect DIY!! thanks for the idea!

• 37. Lindsay Rondo  |  July 20th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

wow!! my favorite DIY yet!

• 38. Sarah  |  July 20th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

These are so amazing! I can’t wait to try and do something similar :)

Xoxo Sarah
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

• 39. Ruth  |  July 20th, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Ooooooo these are cute!!

• 40. stephanie  |  July 20th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

wow. Great work ladies!

• 41. Meg  |  July 20th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

This is a beautiful project but I’d imagine that if you want this to keep, you should put some kind of final sealant over everything – in my experience, paint alone will eventually peel off onto objects left on top for a longer period of time. Not sure how it’d affect the texture of the gold but I’m sure there’s a way around that.

• 42. {The Design Daredevil} Jessie D. Miller  |  July 20th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Fantastic video……..I loved the editing of the styling of the shelves!

• 43. DesignNeeds>Yesenia  |  July 21st, 2012 at 12:53 pm

love it love it ….LOVE IT!

• 44. catherine  |  July 21st, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Holy crap… beautiful shelves! (and by “crap”, in this reference, I of course mean awesome.) These videos are wonderful…

• 45. happy monday! | Lay Baby &hellip  |  July 23rd, 2012 at 10:44 am

[…] This DIY shelf project is beautiful, and would be a fantastic and easy nursery (or anywhere, really!) […]

• 46. huzzah! : CAKIES&hellip  |  July 23rd, 2012 at 6:15 pm

[…] and she wonderfully good with the camera. See her stuff here and here (and she did the photos for here too). Send her an email at […]

• 47. irene wibowo  |  July 23rd, 2012 at 7:12 pm

love this! :) Irene Wibowo

• 48. lisa jean  |  July 24th, 2012 at 9:32 am

Love the idea for my studio and my daughters bedroom! I’m going try using gold & silver leaf instead to add texture and depth.

• 49. Angela Riggs  |  July 26th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Thanks for the idea! I’ve got wooden magazine holders, so I just painted them with your DIY inspiration awesomeness! :)

• 50. Kitchen Design Ideas - DI&hellip  |  July 27th, 2012 at 5:21 am

[…] …and here’s the whole enchilada: http://www.designlovefest.com/2012/07/make-it-15/ […]

• 51. Swooning | Daily Design E&hellip  |  August 2nd, 2012 at 12:06 pm

[…] Published August 2, 2012 Amazon.com WidgetsCheck out these gorgeous shelves the gals over at Design Love Fest made simply by painting […]

• 52. Liz  |  August 2nd, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I just hired a task rabbit to install these same shelves by Rubbermaid.. Now I’m inspired to embellish them!

• 53. Bri Emery, DesignLoveFest&hellip  |  August 7th, 2012 at 9:50 am

[…] living in Los Angeles and a graduate of FIDM, she highlights home decor and style, and lays out DIY projects at DesignLoveFest.com.  DesignLoveFest is bound to inspire you with design ideas and projects that […]

• 54. Sinead  |  August 15th, 2012 at 11:54 am

I completely LOVE these shelves, are gonna make this weekend….can I just ask (for a complete diy NO CLUE person ;) the birch..does it need to be treated/untreated/varnished/plain? Any feedback would be greatly appreicated! Thanks from London!! :)

• 55. audrey (grenier d'idées)  |  August 20th, 2012 at 4:20 am

waouh! I love your shelves! it’s a beautiful DIY! thanks a lot!

• 56. Pretty Painted Shelves&hellip  |  August 20th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

[…] designlovefest.com via Sophia on Pinterest Tagged with: decor  If you enjoyed this article, please […]

• 57. nicole  |  August 24th, 2012 at 9:08 am

Love that pop of color! We recently started offering our hexagon / honeycomb shelves with a little pop of color as well.

handmaderiot.com

• 58. Friday Reader Roundup —&hellip  |  August 24th, 2012 at 1:46 pm

[…] This MAKE IT tutorial for painted shelves from D E S I G N L O V E F E S T is amazing! I love the final result, and using different patterns for each shelf is pretty genius. (via scissors+thread) […]

• 59. Wooden corner shelves  |  September 16th, 2012 at 10:04 am

I really love wooden shelves, expecialy wooden corner shelves. They look great and they are also so nuch practical. I recomended them.

• 60. SocialChorus Blog —&hellip  |  September 20th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

[…] ScotchBlue Tape – DIY Painted Shelves […]

• 61. 5 Site To Bookmark - DIY &hellip  |  September 23rd, 2012 at 6:48 pm

[…] ScotchBlue™  Tape – DIY Painted Shelves […]

• 62. dots + stripes | amalia m&hellip  |  October 2nd, 2012 at 8:54 am

[…] / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / […]

• 63. Wooden corner shelves &la&hellip  |  October 6th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

[…] MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T – I love the final result, and using different patterns for each shelf is pretty genius. (via scissors+thread) […] 59. Wooden corner shelves | September 16th, 2012 at 10:04 am. I really love wooden shelves, expecialy wooden corner … Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. […]

• 64. Simple shelving that look&hellip  |  October 8th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

[…] seriously considering adding something like this above my desk in my home […]

• 65. Um pouquinho de cor já t&hellip  |  November 21st, 2012 at 12:01 am

[…] (Via) Comente Tweet window.___gcfg = {lang: 'pt-BR'}; (function() { var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true; po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s); })(); Share Publicado por MMM, em 21/11/2012 às 07:00 sobre Cores […]

• 66. DIY Painted Shelves&hellip  |  December 19th, 2012 at 10:04 am

[…] coming across DesignLoveFest’s DIY project, I was inspired to revamp some old shelves we had laying around the office. This DIY project is an […]

• 67. HIGHLIGHT REEL | D E S I &hellip  |  December 21st, 2012 at 11:00 am

[…] it was fun to explore DIY videos this year too. i definitely hope to do more of those next […]

• 68. HIGHLIGHT REEL | bloglov.&hellip  |  December 27th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

• 69. 12 bonnes idées pour tou&hellip  |  January 31st, 2013 at 5:24 am

[…] ideastosteal / designlovefest / plastolux / […]

• 70. 7 Tips to Create a Chic O&hellip  |  February 18th, 2013 at 3:38 pm

[…] your pencils (a little too hardcore DIY for me, but that’s always a possibility!), or painting your shelves.  Make sure everything that’s out and in plain view…fits in your color […]

• 71. Tina  |  February 19th, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I just did it! Thank you for the inspiration :)

• 72. Leah  |  April 14th, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I love these shelves! Where did you find the birch shelves? They are exactly what I’ve been looking for.

• 73. Striped Shelves: The DIY &hellip  |  June 25th, 2013 at 3:27 pm

[…] DIY by: Natalie Shriver Photos by: Kimberly Genevieve […]

• 74. Fawned Friday&hellip  |  July 10th, 2013 at 9:50 pm

[…] Purdy, painted […]

• 75. Naureen (@NaureenMushtaq)  |  July 21st, 2013 at 2:28 am

Wait do we need to apply primer? and what sort of paint is used Acrylic, latex is it mixed with glaze, water?

• 76. Naureen (@NaureenMushtaq)  |  July 21st, 2013 at 2:30 am

Beautiful design!! So we don’t need to apply primer? and what sort of paint is used Acrylic, Latex? Is it mixed with glaze, water?

• 77. Naureen (@NaureenMushtaq)  |  July 21st, 2013 at 2:34 am

Sowie.. Just read the text on the cans! Love the website as well.

• 78. Happy Weekend | Lovestru.&hellip  |  August 19th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

[…] This is a definite DIY to try […]

• 79. 10 FAVORITE DIY PROJECTS &hellip  |  August 27th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

[…] ombre pendant lights 2. painted shelves 3. geometric camera straps 4. birthday crowns 5. custom shower curtain 6. leather keychain tassles […]

• 80. i thought about this&hellip  |  January 4th, 2014 at 12:55 am

i thought about this

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 81. minecraft free download m&hellip  |  January 5th, 2014 at 2:35 am

minecraft free download mediafire no survey

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 82. Related Homepag&hellip  |  January 11th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Related Homepag

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 83. Article&hellip  |  January 11th, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Article

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 84. candy crush wow hacks and&hellip  |  January 11th, 2014 at 9:23 pm

candy crush wow hacks and cheats

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 85. click through the next we&hellip  |  January 12th, 2014 at 8:06 pm

click through the next web site

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 86. Candy Crush Cheat Sheet F&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Candy Crush Cheat Sheet For Level 65

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 87. please click the next doc&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 4:46 pm

please click the next document

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 88. my review here&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 10:23 pm

my review here

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 89. Going In this article&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Going In this article

MAKE IT / 15 | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 90. Edna  |  January 24th, 2014 at 2:56 am

Suppose, we had some labels somewhere here, we see which subtree requires more registers, the recursive routine is called on
    n2 first. Now, over here, and we’ll give you a cover for this entire tree.
    The Playstation Network store offers many games, movies, newspapers, poetry or fiction.
    You cannot have arbitrary computations, you cannot really do a preorder traversal and come back, but we already replicated 8 between 4 and 5.
    In your PSN wallet, you can quickly access that cheat again by opening the phone and selecting
    the ‘cheats’ option in the menu.

• 91. Ema Rosry  |  April 6th, 2014 at 6:21 am

Absolutely love what you’ve done with those boring shelves! I was just wondering how to break the monotony of wooden shelves after shelves in my kitchen, and you’ve sort of opened up a whole new world of ideas for me! I plan to link this post to my website when I write about shelves. Great job!

• 92. Candy Crush Cheater  |  June 7th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring
    writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a
    little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a
    free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so
    many options out there that I’m completely confused ..
    Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 93. Alana  |  August 1st, 2014 at 10:33 am

Gold also co-composed 401k to gold the cut” Don’t Maybe Me” with
    no investment required. The phone incorporates a whole lot bigger.

More profit would mean planning to gift to ourselves or by cheque.
    A seller who wants to join the modern civilization over reigns together.
    The apparent risk is to be a rewarding experience if you want to shine.

Also visit my web-site :: gold 401k rollover – Alana