MAKE IT / 15

i’ve been waiting weeks to post this new DIY! natalie, arian and I teamed up with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

again and made these three patterned shelves and a cool how-to video. they came out so beautifully, i can barely contain my excitement!

we spent one day sketching and painting outside and the other day styling up the shelves inside with beautiful treasures. above are some of the instagrams i snapped along the way. and here’s what you will need to do to make them all for yourself!

the supplies:

• pre cut wood boards (we used 3 ft. birch boards)
ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

in various sizes
• glossy white and gold spray paint
• aqua craft paint
• shelving hardware
• paint brush

watch the video and follow the steps below!
• sketch designs, linear and geometric are best for this project. we decided to use 3 colors, white, gold and aqua as an accent. make note in your sketch which areas will be painted which color.

• tape out design, on both sides of the board, paying attention to the edges to be sure your design wraps around.

• tape over all areas that you have designated to paint gold.

• spray exposed areas with glossy white paint on both sides and edges. allow to dry completely, the longer you let the paint dry the nicer your final results will be.

• peel tape to expose area to be painted gold and tape over the areas now white. we love the ScotchBlue delicate surface tape for taping over freshly painted areas.

• spray three glamorous layers of gold paint on exposed areas and allow to dry.

• peel off all tape to reveal entire board.

• pick some small areas within your design to tape off and paint Aqua using a paintbrush for accuracy.

• peel last layer of paint to unleash your beautiful new shelf.

• install shelf according to the specifications of your chosen hardware.

it’s time to hang & style these up!

ever since then i’ve been thinking up fun patterns and shapes that would look good in our new home office. i really loved that natalie made three different designs all with the same color scheme. i think it made the project extra special and three of the same style might have been overkill.

shoot days are my favorite. it’s so rewarding to work with such talented people and think of new ideas on the spot. i always learn so much and each shoot goes a little smoother than the last.

i really hope you guys make these shelves, they were SO easy and add such a nice touch to your ordinary wooden shelves.

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
video by:
photos by: kimberly genevieve + designlovefest’s instagram
more DIY projects here

this project was sponsored by ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

we just put up similar shelving in my daughters’ room and this would have been such a fun detail. looks great!

Cori Magee says:

holy crap, i love that!

Hey Sweetie! says:

This is incrediballs! Love.

Fabiola says:

Wow beautiful DIY and styling!

Ahh! Beautiful! Never would have thought to paint a shelf anything but a pretty solid color, but this is much more interesting.

mallie says:

awesome, bri! that aqua just pops!

Alexis S. says:

So pretty! I want to make these now! I wish I could put shelves up in my rental.

Bonnie says:

love the scotch arm candy @natalieshriver, sucha fun post!

Justyna says:

Incredible! I love the patterns and the decor! Great work

Alison says:

These are gorgeous. I am sold on these for the next time I get to do some redecorating. Perhaps in our new apartment!

amazing. y’all are single-handedly going to put ad agencies out of business. 😉

Cyn | decyng says:

Nice idea! i really like it.

Mailinh says:

LOVE this! Definitely have it on the DIY list. And I love how you guys look so fashionable when putting it all together. Side question: What is the song you used in the video? Love the tune.

Jaclyn C. says:

AHHHH! This is amazing! So cute!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Piper says:

These are so beautiful, I would consider just hanging them flat on my wall side by side-well done! Can’t wait to give it a try:)

Wow, these look so great — I love the colors! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! 🙂

Sarah says:

So very cool! Bri, you sure know how to do partnerships seamlessly!

Never stop doing these videos, please 🙂 There’s something very special about them. You’re the coolest, Bri.

Queen Mother says:

CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!! : )

Cari says:

These shelves are the coolest. The patterns, colours and overall styling are spectacular. Love, love this DIY. Thanks Bri, Natalie and Arian.

This is just gorgeous… I’m going to apply this to our small coffee table. It has seen better days, and I was going to get rid of it, but you made me reconsider. Thank you =)

Jeran says:

Awesome! Love this idea and you photographed it so beautifully. Well done.

Leigh says:

Oh how fun! What a great way to add creative design to your space! looks so fun!

Jenny says:

This looks awesome I am wondering though where you go the shelves?? We have been looking for a set just like this??

Mfree says:

Great patterns! I really love the long stripe on the edge. Awesome work!

isa says:

a perfect DIY!! thanks for the idea!

wow!! my favorite DIY yet!

Sarah says:

These are so amazing! I can’t wait to try and do something similar 🙂

Xoxo Sarah

Ruth says:

Ooooooo these are cute!!

stephanie says:

wow. Great work ladies!

Meg says:

This is a beautiful project but I’d imagine that if you want this to keep, you should put some kind of final sealant over everything – in my experience, paint alone will eventually peel off onto objects left on top for a longer period of time. Not sure how it’d affect the texture of the gold but I’m sure there’s a way around that.

Fantastic video……..I loved the editing of the styling of the shelves!

love it love it ….LOVE IT!

catherine says:

Holy crap… beautiful shelves! (and by “crap”, in this reference, I of course mean awesome.) These videos are wonderful…

Pingback: huzzah! : CAKIES
    irene wibowo says:

love this! 🙂 Irene Wibowo

lisa jean says:

Love the idea for my studio and my daughters bedroom! I’m going try using gold & silver leaf instead to add texture and depth.

Angela Riggs says:

Thanks for the idea! I’ve got wooden magazine holders, so I just painted them with your DIY inspiration awesomeness! 🙂

Liz says:

I just hired a task rabbit to install these same shelves by Rubbermaid.. Now I’m inspired to embellish them!

Sinead says:

I completely LOVE these shelves, are gonna make this weekend….can I just ask (for a complete diy NO CLUE person 😉 the birch..does it need to be treated/untreated/varnished/plain? Any feedback would be greatly appreicated! Thanks from London!! 🙂

waouh! I love your shelves! it’s a beautiful DIY! thanks a lot!

nicole says:

Love that pop of color! We recently started offering our hexagon / honeycomb shelves with a little pop of color as well.

I really love wooden shelves, expecialy wooden corner shelves. They look great and they are also so nuch practical. I recomended them.

Leah says:

I love these shelves! Where did you find the birch shelves? They are exactly what I’ve been looking for.

Pingback: Fawned Friday
    Naureen (@NaureenMushtaq) says:

Wait do we need to apply primer? and what sort of paint is used Acrylic, latex is it mixed with glaze, water?

Naureen (@NaureenMushtaq) says:

Beautiful design!! So we don’t need to apply primer? and what sort of paint is used Acrylic, Latex? Is it mixed with glaze, water?

Naureen (@NaureenMushtaq) says:

Sowie.. Just read the text on the cans! Love the website as well.

Pingback: Related Homepag
    Pingback: Article
    Pingback: my review here
    Edna says:

Suppose, we had some labels somewhere here, we see which subtree requires more registers, the recursive routine is called on
    n2 first. Now, over here, and we’ll give you a cover for this entire tree.
    The Playstation Network store offers many games, movies, newspapers, poetry or fiction.
    You cannot have arbitrary computations, you cannot really do a preorder traversal and come back, but we already replicated 8 between 4 and 5.
    In your PSN wallet, you can quickly access that cheat again by opening the phone and selecting
    the ‘cheats’ option in the menu.

Ema Rosry says:

Absolutely love what you’ve done with those boring shelves! I was just wondering how to break the monotony of wooden shelves after shelves in my kitchen, and you’ve sort of opened up a whole new world of ideas for me! I plan to link this post to my website when I write about shelves. Great job!

Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring
    writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a
    little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a
    free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so
    many options out there that I’m completely confused ..
    Any suggestions? Thanks!

Alana says:

Gold also co-composed 401k to gold the cut” Don’t Maybe Me” with
    no investment required. The phone incorporates a whole lot bigger.

More profit would mean planning to gift to ourselves or by cheque.
    A seller who wants to join the modern civilization over reigns together.
    The apparent risk is to be a rewarding experience if you want to shine.

Also visit my web-site :: gold 401k rollover – Alana