MAKE IT / 15natalie, arian and I teamed up with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape
again and made these three patterned shelves and a cool how-to video. they came out so beautifully, i can barely contain my excitement!instagrams i snapped along the way. and here’s what you will need to do to make them all for yourself!
• pre cut wood boards (we used 3 ft. birch boards)
• ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape
in various sizes
• glossy white and gold spray paint
• aqua craft paint
• shelving hardware
• paint brush
watch the video and follow the steps below!
• sketch designs, linear and geometric are best for this project. we decided to use 3 colors, white, gold and aqua as an accent. make note in your sketch which areas will be painted which color.
• tape out design, on both sides of the board, paying attention to the edges to be sure your design wraps around.
• tape over all areas that you have designated to paint gold.
• spray exposed areas with glossy white paint on both sides and edges. allow to dry completely, the longer you let the paint dry the nicer your final results will be.
• peel tape to expose area to be painted gold and tape over the areas now white. we love the ScotchBlue delicate surface tape for taping over freshly painted areas.
• spray three glamorous layers of gold paint on exposed areas and allow to dry.
• peel off all tape to reveal entire board.
• pick some small areas within your design to tape off and paint Aqua using a paintbrush for accuracy.
• peel last layer of paint to unleash your beautiful new shelf.
• install shelf according to the specifications of your chosen hardware.
i really hope you guys make these shelves, they were SO easy and add such a nice touch to your ordinary wooden shelves.
project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
video by: modshift
photos by: kimberly genevieve + designlovefest’s instagram
more DIY projects here
this project was sponsored by ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape