MAKE IT / 15
again and made these three patterned shelves and a cool how-to video. they came out so beautifully, i can barely contain my excitement!
we spent one day sketching and painting outside and the other day styling up the shelves inside with beautiful treasures. above are some of the instagrams i snapped along the way. and here’s what you will need to do to make them all for yourself!
• pre cut wood boards (we used 3 ft. birch boards)
• ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape
in various sizes
• glossy white and gold spray paint
• aqua craft paint
• shelving hardware
• paint brush
watch the video and follow the steps below!
• sketch designs, linear and geometric are best for this project. we decided to use 3 colors, white, gold and aqua as an accent. make note in your sketch which areas will be painted which color.
• tape out design, on both sides of the board, paying attention to the edges to be sure your design wraps around.
• tape over all areas that you have designated to paint gold.
• spray exposed areas with glossy white paint on both sides and edges. allow to dry completely, the longer you let the paint dry the nicer your final results will be.
• peel tape to expose area to be painted gold and tape over the areas now white. we love the ScotchBlue delicate surface tape for taping over freshly painted areas.
• spray three glamorous layers of gold paint on exposed areas and allow to dry.
• peel off all tape to reveal entire board.
• pick some small areas within your design to tape off and paint Aqua using a paintbrush for accuracy.
• peel last layer of paint to unleash your beautiful new shelf.
• install shelf according to the specifications of your chosen hardware.
ever since then i’ve been thinking up fun patterns and shapes that would look good in our new home office. i really loved that natalie made three different designs all with the same color scheme. i think it made the project extra special and three of the same style might have been overkill.
i really hope you guys make these shelves, they were SO easy and add such a nice touch to your ordinary wooden shelves.
project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
video by: modshift
photos by: kimberly genevieve + designlovefest’s instagram
more DIY projects here
this project was sponsored by ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape