07.06.12

MAKE IT / 14

i am addicted to getting new bedding. there is just something so great about climbing into a new pair of sheets, so i always switch them up every couple months (which gets expensive!)

natalie decided to jazz up my plain white sheets with some beautiful tie dye. we didn’t want it to be super hippie/art camp so we stuck to just two colors that i love, but feel free to get as wild as you like with it! have fun and happy weekend! -bri

what you’ll need:
- White Sheets (flat sheet and pillowcases)
- Fabric Dye in 2 colors (and 2 squeeze bottles for mixed dye if needed)
- Upholstery Thread and needle
- Rubber bands
- Rubber Gloves
- Ruler
- Pencil
- Surface to work (we used a shallow plastic storage container)

how to make it: (follow diagram above)
- Prepare fabric dye as directed. There are many kinds of dyes so take care to read all instructions. We use fiber reactive dyes because the colors last well over time.
- Fold Sheet In half side to side. Fold one more time to mark where the center is and return to the original position.
- Lightly sketch a half of a semi circle 12 inches from the top along the folded center to the middle mark under the hem of the sheet. From there sketch a whole semi circle with the lowest part measuring 8 inches from the top of the sheet. (see diagram)
- Using a ruler to measure from your original  drawn line make parallel lines 4 inches below your original and another one 2 inches below that. You will have three lines total.

- Stitch a long running stitch along all 3 lines. Make the distance between each stitch irregular.
- When all 3 lines are stitched carefully begin to gather all the fabric from one end to the other and pulling the fabric tightly together. Carefully wrap the thread around once or twice & secure with a knot.

- Wrap rubber bands around the ties to reinforce thread.
- Soak top half of sheet with gathered areas in water for 15 minutes (or soda ash bath if you are using a fiber reactive dye)
- Squeeze excess water out.
- Lay top part of sheet on working surface (it can be helpful to put paper towels down first to help absorb excess dye)
- Apply dye to sheet, flip sheet over and repeat taking care to be sure that dye is reaching most parts of the gathered fabric.

- Let sit for 4-24 hours, the longer the better to make colors vibrant and long lasting.
- Afterwards place dyed part of sheet in sink, snip all rubber bands and thread releasing the gathers and rinse in cold water until water runs clear.
- Wash sheets according to dye brand instructions.

now, go get your beauty sleep. (please send us a photo of your finished project if you make them!)

(photos & creations by natalie shriver – see more DIY projects here!)

• 1. Hannah  |  July 6th, 2012 at 8:09 am

This is great. I love any idea to get a designer look for less! x

• 2. Purple Paparazzi  |  July 6th, 2012 at 8:38 am

OMIGOODNESS BRI…..I AM TOTALLY DOING THIS!!! THIS IS A BOMB DIY!!! NOW I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH ALL MY OLD WHITE RL SHEETS THAT SEEM A BIT REDUNDANT! Thanks!

• 3. Eva Bauer  |  July 6th, 2012 at 8:40 am

Love this!! Just in time for a perfect weekend diy, can’t wait.

• 4. Cire'  |  July 6th, 2012 at 9:32 am

Theses are so cool, I love the colors you used, I must try this!! :) Who doesn’t love DIY TIE-DYE!?

• 5. Erin C // Air&SeaDesign  |  July 6th, 2012 at 9:47 am

Shibori made easy! :) Such great directions/animations!!

• 6. Jenny  |  July 6th, 2012 at 9:59 am

This is wonderful! Perfect for when you need just the right colors for your bedroom. :)

• 7. Courtney  |  July 6th, 2012 at 10:10 am

This is the perfect kind of tie dye, not too overwhelming and just enough to be awesome. I usually don’t do any DYI because I’m lame but my goodness I have to try this!

• 8. Crafty Links of the Week &hellip  |  July 6th, 2012 at 10:14 am

[...] Tie dye. Not just for the kiddos anymore. Would you tie dye your sheets? If I could guarantee they turn out like these I [...]

• 9. Jessica McSweeney  |  July 6th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Way to make tie-dye chic! Can’t wait to try this!

• 10. Sarah  |  July 6th, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Can you tell me the brand of your dye and where you bought it?
    Thanks!

• 11. Sarah  |  July 6th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

This is great! I love tie dye, but I definitely wonder if I’ll look like a hippie chick. I can’t wait to try this one out, since I need cool, new sheets for my apartment.

• 12. Tie Dye, Mad Scientists a&hellip  |  July 7th, 2012 at 4:01 am

[...] Adorable DIY Tie Dye Sheets. [...]

• 13. Pink Ronnie  |  July 8th, 2012 at 11:27 pm

This is a wonderful idea, you guys! Love how it looks on Bri’s bed.
    Ronnie xo

• 14. monday mood board |&hellip  |  July 9th, 2012 at 6:38 am

[...] / make / live / wear left / wear [...]

• 15. Ioanna  |  July 9th, 2012 at 9:08 am

They look amazing! :)
    I was in the same mood a couple of weeks ago, when i bought new staff for my new house [i am sharing with a friend, but still i am sooo happy for living on my own, after years of living with my siblings]. I bought new beddings, all colourful, and i was excited when i used the first pair yesterday. :)

• 16. tara galuska  |  July 9th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Just had a chat with my husband about getting some new sheets. I want tie dye some now!

• 17. Tara  |  July 9th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Love these! Tie dye is such a fun way to make anything instant summer :)

• 18. Adventures in Dressmaking  |  July 10th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Oooh, great idea! I tie dyed a pillowcase once in high school but I love the border dye idea you did. Looks really cool!!

• 19. Friday Finds | From China&hellip  |  July 13th, 2012 at 3:40 pm

[...] Tie-dyed sheets. [...]

• 20. Inspiration | Tie Dye Tre&hellip  |  July 16th, 2012 at 9:31 am

[...] are tie dying everything these days – from basic t-shirts to nails and sheets. I’ve been bitten by the tie dye bug and plan to experiment this week. You can dye just about [...]

• 21. Projects to Dye For: Tie &hellip  |  August 28th, 2012 at 8:55 am

[...] love bedrooms, bedding, and bedroom decor… and these tie dye sheets are the coolest I’ve ever seen. They are SO fun for summer! Like something you’d see at [...]

• 22. DIY: Lovely decor | Make &hellip  |  February 18th, 2013 at 4:18 am

[...] 6. Almofadas de chão  // 7. arte em parede “árvore de borboletas” // 8. Conjunto para cama em tye-dye Compartilhe: Postado em D.I.Y | Marcado casa, decoração, DIY, [...]

• 23. DIY01: Tie Dye Sheets | h&hellip  |  April 2nd, 2013 at 6:59 pm

[...] to Make It Go here for the instructions and diagrams to make your new sheet set! Share this:FacebookLike this:Like [...]

• 24. Weekend Walkabout | A Mot&hellip  |  April 13th, 2013 at 3:00 pm

[...] DIY tie dye sheets. I’m sure that tie dye is out… but I don’t really ever know what’s out or [...]

• 25. catalonia kulshekar  |  May 9th, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession

capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.

Any way I_ll

be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

• 26. Corinna  |  May 15th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I love it !!!

• 27. Crafty Links of the Week &hellip  |  July 21st, 2013 at 7:32 am

• 28. 13 Cool Tie Dye Crafts to&hellip  |  August 23rd, 2013 at 12:00 am

[...]  Tie Dye Sheets ~ Turn a plain white sheet set into this uber-fun tie dye [...]

• 29. Homemade Lemonade | Inspi&hellip  |  September 21st, 2013 at 3:44 am

[…] Samodzielnie ufarbowana piękna pościel – jestem w stanie ją najpierw nawet uszyć. Wygląda super. […]

• 30. steam key generator&hellip  |  January 4th, 2014 at 11:45 pm

steam key generator

• 31. browse around this websit&hellip  |  January 6th, 2014 at 1:02 pm

browse around this website

• 32. microsoft points generato&hellip  |  January 6th, 2014 at 1:14 pm

microsoft points generator v3.0.2 download

• 33. visit this web page link&hellip  |  January 6th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

visit this web page link

• 34. just click the next webpa&hellip  |  January 7th, 2014 at 4:33 am

just click the next webpage

• 35. visit the up coming artic&hellip  |  January 11th, 2014 at 9:28 am

visit the up coming article

• 36. look these up&hellip  |  January 11th, 2014 at 11:53 am

look these up

• 37. look at here&hellip  |  January 12th, 2014 at 2:48 am

look at here

• 38. Read More At this website&hellip  |  January 12th, 2014 at 5:33 am

Read More At this website

• 39. related website&hellip  |  January 12th, 2014 at 6:18 am

related website

• 40. click through the followi&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 12:00 pm

click through the following internet site

• 41. Read Much more&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Read Much more

• 42. special info&hellip  |  January 14th, 2014 at 3:56 am

special info

• 43. Brave frontier hack free  |  June 13th, 2014 at 2:03 am

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added”
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the
    same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Thank you!