06.15.12

MAKE IT / 13

i’ve been super excited to share a new DIY video series with you all!

today we will be making an ombré painted picnic blanket. i’ve always found myself using old sheets for park or beach picnics because i didn’t want to ruin my nicer blankets. when natalie suggested that we paint a drop cloth that has a plastic underside I looked at her and said “girl, now that’s smart.” a stylish blanket that we can customize and that doesn’t get stained — let’s make it! (make sure to watch the video for a detailed step by step!)

what you’ll need:
• 1 drop cloth with plastic lining on the underside (available in the paint section at hardware stores)
• 1 roll of 2 inch ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

• 3 colors of paint in sequential rainbow order (ie red/ orange/ yellow or blue/purple/red)
• 5 small paint rollers
• 2 containers to mix paint

the steps:
• start by taping a a pattern of your drop cloth. For ours we went chose a diamond pattern to emphasis the ombré effect. we drew pencil dots to make sure we were being precise. firmly press the tape to the drop cloth as your taping.

• mix two additional paint colors by mixing half and half of your first and second color and your second and third color.

• using small paint rollers start in the middle of your design and paint a row with your first color. Working from the center outwards on each side paint rows in order of the gradient you have created by mixing your paints. (color 1, color 1.5 (mixed), color 2 and so on)

• paint a second coat for good measure and to make your colors really pop.

• when your paint is dry (don’t rush it) carefully peel the blue tape off to reveal your perfectly painted picnic blanket.

we brought a bunch of fruit and delicious flatbreads from forage to enjoy our efforts. elysian park is really beautiful, you should definitely go have a picnic there if you live in LA!

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
video by:
modshift
more DIY projects here

this project was sponsored by ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

Caroline says:

Awesome idea!!! This is on my weekend to do now! Thanks so much!

Stephanie says:

Oh! This is amazing! Definitely on my to-do list. I’ve been looking for a good picnic blanket, which just doesn’t exist. This would be perfect!

I tend to shy away from DIY projects because I’m not the most crafty person – but I can’t wait to try this one out! And I loved the video, it was awesome. I’m excited to see more DIY videos:)

Gertrude says:

Oh my gosh!!!i’ve been waiting for this post since you tweeted…Amazing video!!

I think this is a fantastic idea! Loved the video too!

Sarah says:

What a fantastic idea! I love the thought of a no-sew picnic blanket!

Lucy Remitz says:

love too much. can’t wait to make one this weekend. what kind of paint did you use?! thanks!

Laura says:

wow, this video came off really commercially. is this how the new ads you said you were going to do are going to be from now on? the growth of your blog is great and all, but i had hoped you’d stick to having things feel organic and not have corporate companies popping their heads in the posts.

adele says:

Such a fab idea!
    Have a fab weekend Hun xoxo

shannon says:

LOVE this! i can’t wait to make one! what a great gift too! thanks for the inspiration. have a lovely weekend. xo

bri says:

awesome guys! so glad you like. i hope a lot of you make it and show me the results!

laura, thanks for your feedback. if you would like to chat about it you can email me at bri{at}designlovefest{dot}com

LeAnn says:

briiiii i love this!!! so cute!! i think i’m going to try this but with pink paint..and maybe some polka dots somewhere in there 🙂 i hope you do videos for all of your make-it posts from now on!! 🙂 i love designlovefest so much.

anne says:

this is such a great idea! and my husband would find it so purposeful! great idea all around

Paola says:

Love it! But I love your dress even more!

bri says:

thanks paola! it was a fantastic vintage find!

Sarah says:

Forget about the blanket (which is awesome) the video rocks! Great, great job of incorporating a sponsor into a post, and not only having it still feel like you, but also elevating what you have been doing. Can’t wait to see more.

I know taking on sponsors like this is a tough decision, but I’m so happy to see you are doing it in a way that is enriching the experience of DLF for all of us.

Keep up the good work!

erin says:

so freakin cute! Love it!

bri says:

thanks sarah! that makes me feel great. this was such a great partnership because we would have used scotchtape anyways for this project! they allowed us to take the project to the next level and create a video too. thank you to everyone for understanding in this transition! i’m working really hard to make original content, which takes a lot of time and energy, but i love it!

Kristin B says:

Basically, this is the most adorable thing in existence.

a picnic sounds so perfect right now, thanks for sharing this great post!

franchesca says:

love the video love the picnic blanket! lovely

Fabiola says:

This video turned out great! Thanks for taking the time to create such a stylish video and craft! You are awesome and I am always amazed by your creativity Bri!

Cheryl says:

Love your visuals and creativity! So inspirational!

Mfree says:

This is such a great idea! The drop cloth as picnic blanket is really perfect. PS. I’d love to know where you got the striped dress in the video.
    Thanks!

Danielle says:

Great job, bri! Other bloggers need to take notes. This is how you incorporate a sponsor into a post without losing the magic. Looking forward to the rest of the series 🙂

Danielle says:

Love it Bri! It’s just as rad as you said it would be! High Fives for doing what you love, loving what you do, staying true to your self and getting paid to do it! Cheers! PS can I borrow that blanket? Lord knows I don’t have the time to make it myself;) xo

bex says:

sooo nice ide, Thanx

Latrina says:

I’m telling you — I just LOVE coming to DLF. I get so inspired by your posts especially your DIY ones! That blanket is extremely cute… as well as the video. Great job, gals. 😀

Adriana says:

Love this project! Very cute 🙂 What camera did y’all use to shoot the video??

Leigh says:

You are so patient and it sooo paid off! Love it! So inspiring!!!!

look see says:

I’d like to go to your next picnic!!

Pingback: DagensInteriør&Co
    Izzy Mason says:

How fun!! Maaaybe if I made one of those I would actually go and picnic instead of talking about it all the time. Maybe.

This is such a fantastic idea!

kay says:

DIY things have been my OBSESSION this summer. suddenly, do-it-yourself items are everywhere, and it’s so simple and easy, it seems unbelievable! people are making their own bracelets, jewelry, notebooks, and other paper products, and now picnic blankets. this is so cool :).

dee says:

so great bri! diggin’ your dress too!

Rach says:

Bri – I think it is inspiring that you have not been afraid to make partnerships with companies to bring us even more amazing content – and, I just bought some of this tape yesterday so I understand it’s a great product anyway! The video is the cutest thing ever – it made me smile. Great job!

This is awesome and looks easy! I am so doing it soon!

Elena says:

Bri I love your videos!! I loved the clapping hands, soo cute!

mina says:

i love this! we bought a tipi to put in the backyard for the summer and wanted a blanket to sit on that could just stay outside. this is perfect! do you think the paint will stain clothes when laying on the blanket? should we use a fabric paint?

genius! and such an adorable video!!

Donnie says:

Nice music! I love the “secret” handshake to boot!

natalie says:

Mina- I don’t think paint rubbing off will be a problem. We used a latex house paint with a satin finish and it was very easy to work with and has held up well after multiple uses.

Pingback: Happy Weekend!
    Pingback: happy weekend
    Stéphanie says:

Well done girls !
    I’ve ben looking for a picnic blanket inspiration … I defenetly have one.
    Thanks

Heather says:

I’m sorry if I didn’t see this already, but what was the size of the drop cloth?

Pingback: Weekend Reading
    Shai says:

Wow, what a great tutorial! It looks so simple and fun and the result is summery and fresh. I’ve got an old white sheet that I’ve got to try this on! Thanks for sharing 🙂

rebecca says:

love it I’m going to have to make one asap

eunice says:

i’ve been looking everywhere, but can’t seem to find the dropcloth with the plastic underneath. =( do you think the regular burlap dropcloths would work??

Vanessa Mael says:

this is very inspiring. i’m going to try to do a few for our family for this summer, maybe this will be our Valentine’s Day project! thanks for the idea! i’ll let you know how it turns out!

Kortnie W says:

I really want to make this picnic blanket very soon! How does the paint hold up after washing the blanket? My kids are sure to spill their food and make a mess, so I have to wash our blankets after picnics. Is this washable?

Catou says:

What kind of paint did you use?

hi
    It’s a nice post.Thanks for sharing.

KBJ says:

Love the design!

Having read this I thought it was rather enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this informative
    article together. I once again find myself personally spending
    a significant amount of time both reading and posting
    comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

My web site شركات تنظيف خزانات

Hello, every time i used to check website posts here early in the morning, because i enjoy to find out more and more.

my web blog – شركة نقل عفش بالرياض

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Appreciate it

Visit my weblog: شركة تسليك مجارى بجدة

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody?
    This post posted at this web site is truly good.

Also visit my page: شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض