05.15.12

STYLE / 53

as much as i love color, i also adore a room full of neutrals. this allows the textures and fabrics to really shine. i was inspired by this photo of cholë moretz from wonderland magazine a few years ago. there is just something so striking about her sheer costume…

this is when i called in my favorite balloon trooper, jihan from geronimo balloons to create a dreamy tulle balloon. she knew exactly what to do. and that flowing beaded wonder of a dress? that’s an anna sui creation from BHLDN! the sequin details on that dress were beyond impressive. and i will say, it felt a little like my wedding day when i put that gown on…

the second neutral look was this short lace dress with lots of layered jewelry. and this vintage parasol added a nice texture.

when we are shooting these style shoots, i will say there are a few things that make it easier for me. since i am not a model, i sometimes find these shoots difficult because i am not sure what to do with my body or my face. something that makes it more natural is to have props. having something to interact with makes the photos less “hey i’m a model and i’m posing” and more like a story.

i love how max takes the direction that i give him and creates this dream world with the photos. he has such a talent for seeing a scene and looking at it in an abstract & artful way.

and speaking of art…my boyfriend shot a behind the scenes video that literally made my jaw drop. he has created a very very special video that i am excited to share with you next week!

as usual, here is how you can get the look (wouldn’t this be an adorable bridesmaid outfit?)…

delicate rings / lace dress / chiffon pom shoe clips / bracelet / star tiara / vintage parasol

…and make your own collection right here. it’s a great way to pull items for a shoot and keep them all organized! this was outfit my mood board.

photography: max wanger

art direction: bri emery & jen gotch
styling: jen pinkston
hair & makeup: alex michael may
sponsored by: beso

courtesy of BHLDN: spirit of the moon heels, star tiara, sheer dome food covers, anna sui gown

you can take a look at all of the past style posts here! like last week’s floral explosion.

Absolutely gorgeous! This is one of my favorite style posts ever.

Laura says:

i LOVE that you’ve raised the bar on blogging.

Britt says:

Bri – I love these style posts (and it doesn’t hurt that max wagner is one of my favorite photogs!) Just wish I could see a bit more of the clothes sometimes. These inside shots are so bright I feel like things get kind of washed out and it’s hard (for me) to see the details that you guys obviously worked so hard to put together. Definitely going to head over the the bhldn sight and check out the finer points of that dress though. gorgeous!

Pegah S says:

Bri you look Beautiful in the BHLDN dress. And i have to say you make it look much prettier than the model who is wearing it on their site. Does Geronimo balloons come on site and put the balloon tail together for you or did you do it? just wondering, it is very impressive.

Anon says:

I sort of think style posts work better here when you are just posting images of your own outfits from your wardrobe… sorry

Nubby says:

Stunning! I love how you mix it up and don’t just do straight-on outfit shots but instead create a dream world. Feels like a magical lookbook!

Sarah says:

So fairytale-esque. You look like a vintage bride wedding cake topper!

Jamie says:

i literally gasped. this is just stunning.

Clara says:

Bri! After every style post I think oooh this one is my absolute fave, and then you out do yourself! This shoot is incredible, I’m so impressed by you, Max- the whole gang. The work is stunning. That you so much for sharing!

Clara says:

I should have also mentioned- you are SUCH an inspiration!

allison says:

the photography is amazing, styling is awe inspiring as usual and these images are frame worthy!!!!

xo!
    av

ashley says:

Love this! Would love to see more images of the clothes 🙂 the writing over them seems to take a bit of the magic away

M says:

This style post is a.m.a.z.i.n.g
    I’m soo in love with the lace umbrella,
    and the photos are great, max really gets it !

Have a nice day Bri !

xx

bri says:

hello everyone! i appreciate your honest feedback. these are more of an artistic expression than a standard style post. we will have more images of the clothes next week! thanks!

anna says:

wow! amazing photography! love, love, love all your style posts, bri!

amy says:

I love how you’re upping the ante with each of these style posts, Bri! The production just keeps getting better and better. Seriously blown away – it’s a total work of art! 🙂

bri says:

your sweet comments mean so much to me! and i am sure max is flattered as well. that guy is super humble 🙂

Oh my. These post is so gorgeous & dreamy! I think this is my new favorite. You & the whole team are so unbelievably talented and a HUGE inspiration!

maddie says:

Love the parasol. Such an awesome prop!

This is really beautiful, Bri. Evokes a certain feeling & emotion in me — love, love, love the breathless weightlessness of it all!

Elizabeth says:

I love this shoot! So ethereal and beautiful. Dresses from BHLDN are always pure perfection.

Cheers, Elizabeth

S says:

That BHLDN dress is a pure dream. Love this post, Bri!

Annie H. says:

I enjoy all the style posts but this is the best yet. So quiet yet so loud. I like how you’re not a “prisoner” of your clothes like Chloe in her shot.

I think your posing is great, but I know what you mean. I was selling some things on ebay and I tried modeling them. I could position my body because I used to dance, but my face froze weirdly in a red carpet Renee Zellweger sour lemon pucker. I had to crop off my head.

erica says:

This is so gorgeous!! I love the BHLDN dress and Max is so talented…love his work.

xo erica

Ok, the Anna Sui gown looks like it was made for you- absolutely gorgeous! This is my fav style shoot so far.

mandy says:

Creme de la creme. Lovely, as always.

Style Tutor says:

Each week I think the style posts cannot possibly get better; yet, each week is better than the last. I love the beautiful clothes and the playful fantasy behind each one!

Nicole says:

OBSESSSED!!! This is just gorgeous

christine says:

why do i suspect that your boyfriend is now your fiance…?

Love your style posts because they are always so artistically creative.

jesse says:

insanely beautiful. you and max are on fire! xo

Latrina says:

Beautiful! I was so anxious to see the photos & they are even more magical than I imagined. What fun that shoot had to have been. 🙂 love it!

Pink Ronnie says:

hey bri,
    no need to apologise at all for bringing us such beautiful, original content week after week. you’re a real inspiration.
    needless to say, i loved this post. made me think about your wedding, lol! 🙂
    Ronnie xo

Brynn Rogel says:

i was not surprised at all when i got to the part that let us know who the photographer is… man i’m glad he left the sports news world, ha! i love when you two work together! thank you both for shining so bright!

look see says:

Terribly inspiring. Truly, for reals.

Queen Mother says:

@ Christine suspecting Arian is now your fiancé, he better not be because I haven’t gotten a phone call! haha Bri, these pics are………your commenters have stolen all the best words………but I’ll go with extraordinary! (I wanted creme de la creme, but it was taken).

bri, you are such an inspiration. i am in love with all things design and i feel you have the best site for inspiration. you continually blow me away! i love that you don’t have the typical take on style shoots, you aren’t a fashion blogger. but you have the best fashion sense ive ever seen. i can not wait to come to your blogshop!! are you doing more this summer besides portland and chicago?? loves!!

Katrina says:

That long sequined dress….. Ahhhhmazing!!! Really is a dreamy selection of looks. Love it

kelly ann says:

so beautiful. that last image is really stellar.

danica says:

such beautiful pictures! and that anna sui dress…a-mazing! 🙂

Nuages says:

That’s amazing!!!

zee says:

chloe mortez is the coolest, regardless.

Kim says:

Lacey! Love the lace and style!

Danette says:

I had to revisit these—I love them. How does he do it? Is he shooting through a drape? Or is the hazy effect all in post? I would love to know…;)