05.15.12

STYLE / 53

as much as i love color, i also adore a room full of neutrals. this allows the textures and fabrics to really shine. i was inspired by this photo of cholë moretz from wonderland magazine a few years ago. there is just something so striking about her sheer costume…

this is when i called in my favorite balloon trooper, jihan from geronimo balloons to create a dreamy tulle balloon. she knew exactly what to do. and that flowing beaded wonder of a dress? that’s an anna sui creation from BHLDN! the sequin details on that dress were beyond impressive. and i will say, it felt a little like my wedding day when i put that gown on…

the second neutral look was this short lace dress with lots of layered jewelry. and this vintage parasol added a nice texture.

when we are shooting these style shoots, i will say there are a few things that make it easier for me. since i am not a model, i sometimes find these shoots difficult because i am not sure what to do with my body or my face. something that makes it more natural is to have props. having something to interact with makes the photos less “hey i’m a model and i’m posing” and more like a story.

i love how max takes the direction that i give him and creates this dream world with the photos. he has such a talent for seeing a scene and looking at it in an abstract & artful way.

and speaking of art…my boyfriend shot a behind the scenes video that literally made my jaw drop. he has created a very very special video that i am excited to share with you next week!

as usual, here is how you can get the look (wouldn’t this be an adorable bridesmaid outfit?)…

delicate rings / lace dress / chiffon pom shoe clips / bracelet / star tiara / vintage parasol

…and make your own collection right here. it’s a great way to pull items for a shoot and keep them all organized! this was outfit my mood board.

photography: max wanger

art direction: bri emery & jen gotch
styling: jen pinkston
hair & makeup: alex michael may
sponsored by: beso

courtesy of BHLDN: spirit of the moon heels, star tiara, sheer dome food covers, anna sui gown

you can take a look at all of the past style posts here! like last week’s floral explosion.

• 1. Danie at Pasadya  |  May 15th, 2012 at 6:39 am

Absolutely gorgeous! This is one of my favorite style posts ever.

• 2. Laura  |  May 15th, 2012 at 6:43 am

i LOVE that you’ve raised the bar on blogging.

• 3. Britt  |  May 15th, 2012 at 7:00 am

Bri – I love these style posts (and it doesn’t hurt that max wagner is one of my favorite photogs!) Just wish I could see a bit more of the clothes sometimes. These inside shots are so bright I feel like things get kind of washed out and it’s hard (for me) to see the details that you guys obviously worked so hard to put together. Definitely going to head over the the bhldn sight and check out the finer points of that dress though. gorgeous!

• 4. Pegah S  |  May 15th, 2012 at 7:09 am

Bri you look Beautiful in the BHLDN dress. And i have to say you make it look much prettier than the model who is wearing it on their site. Does Geronimo balloons come on site and put the balloon tail together for you or did you do it? just wondering, it is very impressive.

• 5. Anon  |  May 15th, 2012 at 7:23 am

I sort of think style posts work better here when you are just posting images of your own outfits from your wardrobe… sorry

• 6. Nubby  |  May 15th, 2012 at 7:31 am

Stunning! I love how you mix it up and don’t just do straight-on outfit shots but instead create a dream world. Feels like a magical lookbook!

• 7. Sarah  |  May 15th, 2012 at 7:58 am

So fairytale-esque. You look like a vintage bride wedding cake topper!

• 8. Jamie  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:08 am

i literally gasped. this is just stunning.

• 9. Clara  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:10 am

Bri! After every style post I think oooh this one is my absolute fave, and then you out do yourself! This shoot is incredible, I’m so impressed by you, Max- the whole gang. The work is stunning. That you so much for sharing!

• 10. Clara  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:11 am

I should have also mentioned- you are SUCH an inspiration!

• 11. allison  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:11 am

the photography is amazing, styling is awe inspiring as usual and these images are frame worthy!!!!

xo!
    av

• 12. ashley  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:17 am

Love this! Would love to see more images of the clothes :) the writing over them seems to take a bit of the magic away

• 13. M  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:18 am

This style post is a.m.a.z.i.n.g
    I’m soo in love with the lace umbrella,
    and the photos are great, max really gets it !

Have a nice day Bri !

xx

• 14. bri  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:51 am

hello everyone! i appreciate your honest feedback. these are more of an artistic expression than a standard style post. we will have more images of the clothes next week! thanks!

• 15. anna  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:54 am

wow! amazing photography! love, love, love all your style posts, bri!

• 16. amy  |  May 15th, 2012 at 9:08 am

I love how you’re upping the ante with each of these style posts, Bri! The production just keeps getting better and better. Seriously blown away – it’s a total work of art! :)

• 17. bri  |  May 15th, 2012 at 9:11 am

your sweet comments mean so much to me! and i am sure max is flattered as well. that guy is super humble :)

• 18. Sarah // Hemenway Street  |  May 15th, 2012 at 9:11 am

Oh my. These post is so gorgeous & dreamy! I think this is my new favorite. You & the whole team are so unbelievably talented and a HUGE inspiration!

• 19. maddie  |  May 15th, 2012 at 9:21 am

Love the parasol. Such an awesome prop!

• 20. Gina @ Oaxacaborn  |  May 15th, 2012 at 9:26 am

This is really beautiful, Bri. Evokes a certain feeling & emotion in me — love, love, love the breathless weightlessness of it all!

• 21. Elizabeth  |  May 15th, 2012 at 9:59 am

I love this shoot! So ethereal and beautiful. Dresses from BHLDN are always pure perfection.

Cheers, Elizabeth

• 22. Dreamy Photoshoot |&hellip  |  May 15th, 2012 at 10:49 am

[...] and although I love bright colors, I am actually a lover of neutrals at heart. Take a further look here. Bravo Max and [...]

• 23. S  |  May 15th, 2012 at 11:37 am

That BHLDN dress is a pure dream. Love this post, Bri!

• 24. Annie H.  |  May 15th, 2012 at 11:37 am

I enjoy all the style posts but this is the best yet. So quiet yet so loud. I like how you’re not a “prisoner” of your clothes like Chloe in her shot.

I think your posing is great, but I know what you mean. I was selling some things on ebay and I tried modeling them. I could position my body because I used to dance, but my face froze weirdly in a red carpet Renee Zellweger sour lemon pucker. I had to crop off my head.

• 25. erica  |  May 15th, 2012 at 11:59 am

This is so gorgeous!! I love the BHLDN dress and Max is so talented…love his work.

xo erica

• 26. jen  |  May 15th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

L.O.V.E.

• 27. la domestique  |  May 15th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Ok, the Anna Sui gown looks like it was made for you- absolutely gorgeous! This is my fav style shoot so far.

• 28. mandy  |  May 15th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Creme de la creme. Lovely, as always.

• 29. Style Tutor  |  May 15th, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Each week I think the style posts cannot possibly get better; yet, each week is better than the last. I love the beautiful clothes and the playful fantasy behind each one!

• 30. Nicole  |  May 15th, 2012 at 1:28 pm

OBSESSSED!!! This is just gorgeous

• 31. christine  |  May 15th, 2012 at 3:12 pm

why do i suspect that your boyfriend is now your fiance…?

• 32. Jessica @ Becoming Refined  |  May 15th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Love your style posts because they are always so artistically creative.

• 33. Jeline  |  May 15th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

This is so beautiful!!!

• 34. jesse  |  May 15th, 2012 at 4:39 pm

insanely beautiful. you and max are on fire! xo

• 35. Latrina  |  May 15th, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Beautiful! I was so anxious to see the photos & they are even more magical than I imagined. What fun that shoot had to have been. :) love it!

• 36. Pink Ronnie  |  May 15th, 2012 at 6:37 pm

hey bri,
    no need to apologise at all for bringing us such beautiful, original content week after week. you’re a real inspiration.
    needless to say, i loved this post. made me think about your wedding, lol! :)
    Ronnie xo

• 37. Brynn Rogel  |  May 15th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

i was not surprised at all when i got to the part that let us know who the photographer is… man i’m glad he left the sports news world, ha! i love when you two work together! thank you both for shining so bright!

• 38. we.do | hairbow spotting &hellip  |  May 15th, 2012 at 11:34 pm

[...] you can see it in action here, on a shoot i did with the amazing bri of designlovefest, shot by the brilliant max wanger and styled by the fabulous jen pinkston of the effortless chic–sponsored by beso. see all the photos here. [...]

• 39. look see  |  May 16th, 2012 at 1:15 am

Terribly inspiring. Truly, for reals.

• 40. Queen Mother  |  May 16th, 2012 at 1:55 am

@ Christine suspecting Arian is now your fiancé, he better not be because I haven’t gotten a phone call! haha Bri, these pics are………your commenters have stolen all the best words………but I’ll go with extraordinary! (I wanted creme de la creme, but it was taken).

• 41. brittany barney  |  May 16th, 2012 at 9:17 am

bri, you are such an inspiration. i am in love with all things design and i feel you have the best site for inspiration. you continually blow me away! i love that you don’t have the typical take on style shoots, you aren’t a fashion blogger. but you have the best fashion sense ive ever seen. i can not wait to come to your blogshop!! are you doing more this summer besides portland and chicago?? loves!!

• 42. Katrina  |  May 16th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

That long sequined dress….. Ahhhhmazing!!! Really is a dreamy selection of looks. Love it

• 43. kelly ann  |  May 17th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

so beautiful. that last image is really stellar.

• 44. danica  |  May 17th, 2012 at 11:08 pm

such beautiful pictures! and that anna sui dress…a-mazing! :)

• 45. Nuages  |  May 21st, 2012 at 1:03 am

That’s amazing!!!

• 46. STYLE / 54 | D E S I G N &hellip  |  May 22nd, 2012 at 12:31 pm

[...] that, we stripped the color away and went completely neutral with it. lace, sequins, tulle, [...]

• 47. zee  |  May 26th, 2012 at 9:21 am

chloe mortez is the coolest, regardless.

• 48. LOOKCITY: On Father’&hellip  |  June 7th, 2012 at 3:14 pm

[...] known photographer Max Wanger have recently teamed up to put together some lovely style series. This one in particular caught my eye with its light and somewhat spooky feel. Dig the behind the scenes [...]

• 49. link love 5/18 | ban.do b&hellip  |  August 4th, 2012 at 10:52 am

[...] fower!lala lovely looks super cute with her family in our girlie bow!gotta love our gal bri from design love fest rocking our mini pom in one of her many fab sytle posts! look what designerz central spotted on [...]

• 50. Kim  |  September 12th, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Lacey! Love the lace and style!

• 51. STYLE / 100! | D E S I G &hellip  |  August 2nd, 2013 at 6:59 am

[...] the whole post: 1. dreamy beso shoot with max 2. what to wear on a first date with angela 3. at home in the loft with arian 4. lucky magazine [...]

• 52. Danette  |  August 2nd, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I had to revisit these—I love them. How does he do it? Is he shooting through a drape? Or is the hazy effect all in post? I would love to know…;)

COOL BEACH TOWEL…