05.08.12

STYLE / 52

mixing patterns is all about scale. i challenge you to look at different patterns together and see what you like. for example, in these photos the three patterns on the bottom half of the photo all work together, but adding a similarly scaled 4th floral might have been overkill. HOWEVER, add an oversized print and now we’re talkin…

we also put some colored chalk in my braid that was pretty fun for a change. i look like i should be prancin around coachella or something, huh?

here we have a little floral on floral on floral on tambourine…

isn’t this quote so true? it really believe in the emotions colors can bring us. and when you mix them all together…it can be pretty powerful. look at me gettin’ all emo on you guys now.

here’s the little collection that i put together in case you want to recreate this look! (loving the peplum trend, aren’t you?)

shop my beso collection: peplum top / cardigan / ring / purple bracelet / yellow bracelet / flower / shoes / earrings / floral jeans (i am wearing these similar paige denim jeans)

photography: max wanger
art direction: bri emery & jen gotch
styling: jen pinkston
hair & makeup: alex michael may
sponsored by: beso

see you back here next week for a dreamy little number…and see all the style posts here!

• 1. Yara  |  May 8th, 2012 at 6:11 am

Ah sooo lovely I adore the colors and gaiety your style is defined by! New addict to DesignLoveFest :) Keep up the great work, any chance you’ll be visiting the Netherlands for a blogshop once?

xoxo Yara

• 2. sally  |  May 8th, 2012 at 6:46 am

Your braids are awesome! You should do a hair tutorial sometime :)

• 3. stephanie  |  May 8th, 2012 at 7:09 am

wow! I am in love with the floral fabric used for your background! lovely!

• 4. Casey Lynn  |  May 8th, 2012 at 8:17 am

This is my favorite style post you have every done! The colors are amazing!

• 5. Sarah  |  May 8th, 2012 at 8:30 am

So beautiful! This has to be one of my favorite looks yet, Bri! I love all the color, florals and lightheartedness!

• 6. Laura  |  May 8th, 2012 at 8:37 am

I like to play with colors too! My skin is so fair though that bright and pastel colors really wash me out. So I tend to stick with mostly dark colors, but work in some lighter ones when I can. Dark green goes fantastically with my red hair. :)

• 7. kate  |  May 8th, 2012 at 8:38 am

girrrrrrl you are amazing! great styling and the set is a dream!

• 8. Kerry  |  May 8th, 2012 at 9:19 am

Love it – amazing as always! AND I just purchased those earrings – Thanks!

• 9. Alexia  |  May 8th, 2012 at 9:30 am

Love your hair!! The colors are amazing and I adore all of your jewels.

• 10. victoria  |  May 8th, 2012 at 10:40 am

love this one and all that color you get away with! xo

• 11. caitlin of wanderlustings  |  May 8th, 2012 at 10:47 am

words cannot express how much i am loving these style posts. they are absolutely inspiring in every way.

• 12. rachael adele  |  May 8th, 2012 at 10:50 am

love. one of my favorite style posts so far.

• 13. bri  |  May 8th, 2012 at 11:07 am

i am so happy you guys are liking these new style posts! makes all the hard work worth it! thanks! bri

• 14. Nurit ben yehuda  |  May 8th, 2012 at 11:10 am

Like your style! Lots of colors!

• 15. Jennifer  |  May 8th, 2012 at 11:25 am

There’s so much to love here. The colors, the backdrop, the braided crown. A modern Frieda Kahlo, I think. Lookin’ good!

• 16. Elaine - Papermade  |  May 8th, 2012 at 11:28 am

Loved this! And yes- loving the peplum trend as well! ;)

• 17. Marie  |  May 8th, 2012 at 11:35 am

I love all the colors and patterns. So vibrant and full of energy! :)

• 18. Kate  |  May 8th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Your hair looks FAB.

Kate

• 19. Brandi  |  May 8th, 2012 at 12:13 pm

This is so bright and fun. I can’t get enough florals these days. Please tell me where the purple floral fabric is from?

• 20. Sarah  |  May 8th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

First- Beautiful! Loving all the fresh florals this season.
    Second- You need to put up a tutorial for that braid, stat! It looks soooo cool- especially with the new bangs!

• 21. Jessica @ Becoming Refined  |  May 8th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Love the whole outfit, so fun and eye-catching.

• 22. kelly ann  |  May 8th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

As a tambourine player… I kind of love this post. ;)

• 23. Leah // Freutcake  |  May 8th, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’m loving the modern Frida Kahlo braid look. :) Great shoot!

• 24. Leigh  |  May 8th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I am a little less bold with my pattern mixing, but I am loving the mixture as of late, and yours is perfection! Love the little lesson, and the quote, and the tambourine, and how your personality comes out in every single photo!

• 25. meg  |  May 8th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Great pics! That fabric is gorgeous!

• 26. Lexi  |  May 8th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Lurve this post!!! As a long time pattern mixer and color combo fanatic, this post really speaks to me! So true how scale plays such an important role in how to mix patterns successfully! *~*

• 27. Anonymous  |  May 9th, 2012 at 8:37 am

gorgeous! does anyone recall where she got her little knot ring?

• 28. bri  |  May 9th, 2012 at 9:09 am

the knot ring is from ariel gordon!

• 29. christina elaine  |  May 9th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

This is my favorite one so far… I luvv everything.. you guys totally nailed it…

xx
    christina

• 30. alicia  |  May 10th, 2012 at 9:46 am

makes me think of frida kahlo <3

• 31. ban.do blog&hellip  |  May 11th, 2012 at 10:06 am

link love 5/11…

link love 5/11…

• 32. Hayley  |  May 13th, 2012 at 2:56 am

Holy crap that fabric is gorgeous.

• 33. Hannah Millerick  |  May 14th, 2012 at 3:34 am

No wonder Max Wagner is the photographer! Love his work!

• 34. Cânon Läfido ßm  |  May 14th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I like it..

• 35. Lydo chan  |  May 14th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I like

• 36. STYLE / 53 | D E S I G N &hellip  |  May 15th, 2012 at 6:01 am

[...] can take a look at all of the past style posts here! like last week’s floral explosion. ADD [...]

• 37. Print Blog / Floral Trend&hellip  |  May 15th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

[...] Source [...]

• 38. NotSoLolita  |  May 15th, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Love it. I recently worked on a Floral Vs Animal and this photoshoot reminded me of it. Really nice work.

• 39. pattern trends from mary &hellip  |  May 17th, 2012 at 9:00 am

[...] I’m really loving? The insane pattern explosion happening in the ads. Reminds me of my friend Bri’s style post! Love. SHARE: twitter, facebook, pinterest, stumbleYou might also like:pattern explosion!mary [...]

• 40. STYLE / 54 | D E S I G N &hellip  |  May 22nd, 2012 at 12:31 pm

[...] we moved on to an in yo face floral post. pattern mixing to the [...]

• 41. STYLE /57 | D E S I G N L&hellip  |  June 19th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

[...] here’s how you can get a similar look to this one! floral mixing part 2, just like this post. [...]

• 42. Caitlin  |  June 24th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

love this post! super cute. x

• 43. Monochromatic Monday: Boh&hellip  |  July 30th, 2012 at 4:27 am

[...] magazine {row 4} an indian album by cecil beaton via style court, image from this book?, designlovefest, bruce weber [...]

• 44. MAKE IT / 16 | D E S I G &hellip  |  August 3rd, 2012 at 5:02 am

[...] like mixing patterns in fashion it works the same way for these frames. oh, and you have to check out this video my boyfriend made [...]

• 45. link love 5/11 | ban.do b&hellip  |  August 4th, 2012 at 10:53 am

[...] crush bobbi.  mmmm cupcakes. patterned floral galore and top it off with a mini pom pom, design love fest, we love you!  emmadime went to cabo and took some ban.dos across the border with her.  [...]

• 46. Color day « Aventur&hellip  |  October 29th, 2012 at 8:21 am

[...] et sites web, comme pour cette présentation de patterns colorés Floral Much? qui lie vers le blog Design Love Fest de Bri Emery, graphiste. Le site en lui même présente des bannières de lien vers d’autres [...]

• 47. candy  |  January 24th, 2013 at 12:09 am

i am very like your sharing ,i like the flower fashion trend !!

• 48. Ashley Brokop  |  March 10th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I love that floral fabric. Bri did you ever say where you found it??

LOVE THIS SKIRT…