FOOD / 23
i’d say it’s about time for a nice bubbly, tart, sweet punch, don’t you agree? i was grocery shopping the other day and oddly enough, found myself on the liquor aisle (what? that’s cray). i was instantly drawn to a beautiful cut crystal bottle of cranberry liquor, so of course i scooped it right up. i admit, i had no idea what to do with it, but if nothing else it would be a great addition to my bar cart.
then it hit me, well punched me (clever play on words). i’ll make a champagne punch. i was kind of civilized about it and fixed the cocktails one at a time, but please oh please don’t let me get in the way of you pouring an entire bottle of champagne into a beautiful glass vessel and embellishing it with other good stuff.
hey let’s party:
• 2 cups pomegranate seeds
• 2 cups water
• 1.5 cups honey
• 1 bottle of pink champagne
• 4 oz cranberry liquor
• 1 lime, cut into wedges
first things first:
• we’re gonna make pomegranate honey syrup (which would be a fantastic way to jazz up some bubbly water if we weren’t up for drinkin’, but we are so forget it)
• in a saucepan over medium high heat bring the water, pomegranate seeds and honey to a boil
• let boil for 2 minutes, then lower heat and simmer for about 5 – 8 minutes. you want the syrup to thicken a bit
• while it is simmering, muddle the seeds (using a muddler, the back of a spoon, a small hammer . . . whatever you got)
• strain out seeds and pour the syrup into a glass jar or bottle and pop it in the fridge. this can be made well in advance.
• fill 4 glasses with ice
• squeeze a lime wedge into each glass
• fill glass 3/4 up with champagne
• add 1oz of cranberry liquor to each glass
• then add an ounce of the chilled syrup to each
* stir, sip, enjoy, repeat. (that last part is important)