05.17.12

FOOD / 23

i’d say it’s about time for a nice bubbly, tart, sweet punch, don’t you agree? i was grocery shopping the other day and oddly enough, found myself on the liquor aisle (what? that’s cray). i was instantly drawn to a beautiful cut crystal bottle of cranberry liquor, so of course i scooped it right up. i admit, i had no idea what to do with it, but if nothing else it would be a great addition to my bar cart.

then it hit me, well punched me (clever play on words). i’ll make a champagne punch. i was kind of civilized about it and fixed the cocktails one at a time, but please oh please don’t let me get in the way of you pouring an entire bottle of champagne into a beautiful glass vessel and embellishing it with other good stuff.

hey let’s party:
• 2 cups pomegranate seeds
• 2 cups water
• 1.5 cups honey
• 1 bottle of pink champagne
• 4 oz cranberry liquor
• 1 lime, cut into wedges

first things first:
• we’re gonna make pomegranate honey syrup (which would be a fantastic way to jazz up some bubbly water if we weren’t up for drinkin’, but we are so forget it)
• in a saucepan over medium high heat bring the water, pomegranate seeds and honey to a boil
• let boil for 2 minutes, then lower heat and simmer for about 5 – 8 minutes.  you want the syrup to thicken a bit
• while it is simmering, muddle the seeds (using a muddler, the back of a spoon, a small hammer . . . whatever you got)
• strain out seeds and pour the syrup into a glass jar or bottle and pop it in the fridge.  this can be made well in advance.

then:
• fill 4 glasses with ice
• squeeze a lime wedge into each glass
• fill glass 3/4 up with champagne
• add 1oz of cranberry liquor to each glass
• then add an ounce of the chilled syrup to each
*  stir, sip, enjoy, repeat. (that last part is important)

{ column + photos by jen gotch, design by designlovefest – want more recipes? go here! }

• 1. a lovely being  |  May 17th, 2012 at 11:09 am

mmmm! storing this for my future housewarming party (whenever I get around to it :)

x fallon

• 2. amy  |  May 17th, 2012 at 11:27 am

these look SO good! definitely making that syrup soon. and man i miss being able to buy my booze at the grocery…oh, california and it’s lax liquor laws.

• 3. Alicia Murphy  |  May 17th, 2012 at 11:28 am

Oh how I wish I was 21 so I could make these adorable drinks. I guess I can try a virgin version!

• 4. Elizabeth  |  May 17th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Sounds delicious! I love fun cocktails.

Cheers, Elizabeth

• 5. Anuschka  |  May 17th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

looks super yummy! amazing photos as usual

• 6. kelly  |  May 17th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

i got to sample these yesterday and was real delicious!

• 7. Jeanine  |  May 17th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I love that bottle! I buy way to many things for the great bottle shape or a cute label :)

• 8. Christa @ a*typicaljourney  |  May 17th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

This looks super amazing. I’m gonna have to go find some cranberry liquor!

• 9. Hayley  |  May 18th, 2012 at 3:43 am

Holy cow, that looks amazing.

• 10. Rachael B  |  May 18th, 2012 at 6:12 am

You’re right. We totally are up for drinking! If only I wasn’t at work and it wasn’t 9am… hmmm…

ps totally in <3 with pomegranate anything!

• 11. Sarrah  |  May 18th, 2012 at 7:29 am

That looks so delicious! I have to try it.

xoxo

• 12. PatriciaF | unfounddoor  |  May 21st, 2012 at 9:44 am

Ha. This was funny. And yeah – nothing wrong with random booze aisle purchases; in fact I still always think of it as the mark of what a civilised adult I’ve become (har) to have a bar cart stocked with a selection of mysterious liqueurs that nobody really knows how to drink.

• 13. Jesse  |  May 23rd, 2012 at 11:18 am

What is the brand of liquor? I want that bottle! Googling “cranberry liquor” was fruitless!

• 14. IT IS 2013 NOW | D E S I &hellip  |  December 29th, 2012 at 6:54 pm

[...] 5. we are buying a bar cart and i really want to learn how to make fancy cocktails! this makers mark and ginger ale we make all the time at home is good and all…but it’s time to step it up…like this one. [...]

• 15. Beata English Photography&hellip  |  February 10th, 2013 at 2:30 pm

[...] 5. we are buying a bar cart and i really want to learn how to make fancy cocktails! this makers mark and ginger ale we make all the time at home is good and all…but it’s time to step it up…like this one. [...]

COOL BEACH TOWEL…