04.13.12

MAKE IT / 9

let’s face it, cat toys can be real ugly. and if you are going to have pet toys laying all around the house, they might as well look attractive, right? here are some cat nip creations that natalie put together for us!

what you’ll need:
• Felt
• Embroidery Thread
• Cat Nip
• Batting
• Dowel Rod
• Riff Raff (ribbons, pom palms, metallic yarn…try to think like a cat)

the steps:
• make yourself a diamond pattern by drawing 2 equilateral triangle (ie, the same length on all 3 sides) that measure 2.5 inches on each edge.
• cut several diamonds out of felt, you will need 2 diamonds for every toy.
• pin two of the edges together as shown in the photo below.

• starting at one point hand stitch along the edge and continue around each side, as you move along the edge the toy will begin to take on a three dimensional shape.
• when you get to the final edge fill the toy with equal parts batting and catnip (you can use a small funnel to get catnip inside if you like)
• continue to stitch the toy up on it’s final edge and then go around a second time so that both sides of the toy are sewn shut, tie closed when you return to your starting point.

for the fancy stick:
• attach the end of the remaining length of thread to a dowel rod if desired. we wrapped the thread around the end of the dowel and glued a piece of felt around it for extra strength.
• tie your little bits of riff raff to the string for added pizazz and cat enticement.
• if you want to go the extra mile you can glue scraps of felt to the dowel to create a colorful handle.

(as with all pet toys, please don’t allow your pet to play unsupervised)

ta da! you’re cat will love you even more, if that’s possible.

(photos & creations by natalie shriver – see her camera straps here!)

• 1. Anna Z  |  April 13th, 2012 at 6:35 am

What a great tutorial!! Seriously. This is something I’m really interested in making. :-)

• 2. Erika  |  April 13th, 2012 at 7:00 am

This is a fantastic make it! I may just have to put on my crafting hat this weekend and make my kitties this great toy. Nice work!

• 3. Sarah  |  April 13th, 2012 at 7:15 am

So cute! These are way better than creepy fake (but totally real looking) mice!

• 4. Hannah  |  April 13th, 2012 at 7:26 am

Just need a Cat now! Love it!

• 5. Cori {Pretty Haute Mess}  |  April 13th, 2012 at 7:49 am

Everything in the house must look hot, including the cats’ toys…love that!

• 6. cate  |  April 13th, 2012 at 7:52 am

yay that looks likes fun! – such cute kitties too!

• 7. Aaron  |  April 13th, 2012 at 9:41 am

Sorry to get off-topic but where’d you get that amazing rug?

• 8. Sarah  |  April 13th, 2012 at 10:43 am

I love that you’re cat’s name is clash- so fun!

• 9. Danie at Pasadya  |  April 13th, 2012 at 11:21 am

So cute! Now if i had a cat and weren’t allergic, I’d definitely make one of these! Sweet little things looks pretty enthralled by the DIY. :) I love their names too!

• 10. Ciara  |  April 13th, 2012 at 11:53 am

This is perfect! You’ve done it again, Bri! ♥

• 11. Hanna  |  April 13th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Ahhhh coming from a girl with 2 cats, i LOVE the idea of pretty kitty toys! Except I’d probably have to reinforce these with some steel or cement. One of the kitties is a bruiser and would destroy this in one attempt, hahaha.

• 12. Geraldine, Hamburg, Germany  |  April 13th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

LOVE it!!! Great idea and a really good looking cat toy!! Now I need my cat back (he lives @ my mom)…. :(

• 13. Megan  |  April 13th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

My cat would love this! He loves shiny things, and this would be much better than my necklaces haha!

xo, Megan

• 14. nikki  |  April 13th, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Best. DIY. Ever. Who says kitties don’t want to be stylish too?

• 15. Leah  |  April 13th, 2012 at 10:31 pm

My cat looks exactly like yours! Her name is Grey and she’s a Maine coon!

• 16. Kira  |  April 13th, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hm, these are cute but I wouldn’t use those mylar ribbons – my cat loves to eat things like that and it makes her very sick!

• 17. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark!  |  April 14th, 2012 at 1:32 am

I think this is so cute and cats will definitely love it! As I work for a pet charity, I would just say be careful on what ribbons you use- cats love to eat that stuff!

• 18. Mercedes  |  April 14th, 2012 at 11:22 am

wauw that is so cool! have to make one!
    I´m giving away one of my handmade necklaces by choise! curious? come and take a look at my blog…

Kiss Kiss Mercedes

• 19. look see  |  April 14th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Makes me wish I was a cat… (for the toys and the sleeping and whatnot)

• 20. Amberly Charter  |  April 14th, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I have so many cat-owning friends I’ve gotta make this for! Too cute.

• 21. Natalie  |  April 15th, 2012 at 10:07 am

ahhh so cute, i love it! my cats are savages though and i could see 40 minutes of work being demolished in less than 5 minutes. :( they’ll do anything for their cat nip!

• 22. robbie.  |  April 15th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

so cute! lovvvvveeeee.

• 23. Marie  |  April 16th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

How cute. Love the colors and gold. :)

• 24. Laura from PAWSH Magazine  |  April 18th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

What a beautiful little DIY pet project! Very ‘pawsh’ indeed, Bri!

• 25. a little on my lately / H&hellip  |  May 23rd, 2012 at 8:55 am

[…] in this post. i love love love sweet peas watermelon and honeydew sorbets this image and this one cutest cat toys ever this loveseat this light super cute crafts for kids (via) and […]

• 26. Daily DIY Pet Pattern –&hellip  |  November 30th, 2012 at 10:39 am

[…] See how to make this project at the Design Love Fest blog. Share this blog post:FacebookTwitterPinterest This entry was posted in Daily Free Pet Pattern and tagged Cat Toy, Catnip, DIY, Free Pet Craft Tutorial. Bookmark the permalink. ← Dog A Day Project – Christmas Is Coming […]

• 27. 13 Gifts for Pet Lovers t&hellip  |  December 11th, 2012 at 12:57 am

[…]  Cat Nip Toy ~ Make a stylish cat toy using felt, embroidery thread, cat nip, batting and a dowel rod.  You can […]

• 28. Playing with Pinterest | &hellip  |  January 1st, 2013 at 6:47 am

[…] Catnip on a Stick – so cute and colourful! […]

• 29. DIY Pet Projects For Your&hellip  |  January 2nd, 2013 at 7:01 am

[…] Catnip Toy […]

• 30. Cathy  |  July 9th, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Omg. I know that my cat would LOVE this! Thanks for the tutorial! Btw, your cats are ADORABLE!

photo X9A3191-edit_zps661cdbcb.jpg