04.27.12

MAKE IT / 10

I am a notebook addict. With all the technology that is available to me I still prefer to write all my ideas down in one place. I go through them quickly and always need to have a stash of fresh ones on hand. While traditional bookbinding is complicated art form, making this little notebook is nothing but easy. You need little more than a few sheets of paper and a pair of scissors.

what you’ll need:
- 10 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper
– a sheet of decorative paper (12 x 12 or larger)
– ruler
– exacto knife
– pencil
– double sided tape

the steps:
– cut paper in half to make 20 sheets of 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 paper (I have my local copy shop do it so that they are perfect)
– fold all of the pieces in half
– make a mark on the fold 1 inch from the top and bottom

– on half of the sheets cut in between the marks (these are called slots), on the other half cut from the edge to the mark (these are called tabs)
- take two sheets of tabbed paper and gently roll one side from top to bottom and insert through two sheets of slotted paper. (see our handy gif below for reference)

- continue to make pairs and place in a stack with all of the tabbed sides up (these pairs are referred to as signatures). you should have a stack of 5 when you’re done.
– using the same method now connect each signature to each other by feeding the top 2 tabbed pieces into the bottom 2 slotted pieces of the signature on top of it. So the top tabbed sheets of your second signature will feed into the last slotted sheets of you first signature and so on. When you’re done all of your pages should be connected to each other.

for the cover:
- for the cover,  cut 2 pieces of decorative paper that measures 5 1/2 x 12 inches.
– draw a line 3 1/2 from the edge and cut one sheet as a slot and one sheet as a tab.
– attach the covers sheets just as you attached each signature to each other.
– lastly wrap the remaining cover paper around the two pieces of paper on top and bottom and secure with a piece of double sided tape.
– get out your pens and pencils

the great thing about this notebook is that you can easily add more pages if you like. I usually keep mine anywhere from 20-30 pages, but it’s as simple as just adding more signatures to your stack.

(photos & creations by natalie shriver – see more DIY projects here!)

• 1. Hannah  |  April 27th, 2012 at 7:14 am

This is amazing! i’m going to try this :)

• 2. Cyn | decyng  |  April 27th, 2012 at 7:46 am

Great tips! I´m like you, although we have iPads, iPods, laptops, I prefer paper.

• 3. Sarah  |  April 27th, 2012 at 8:11 am

The perfect craft for over the weekend! Love it.

• 4. jen  |  April 27th, 2012 at 8:15 am

nice work, gals.
    um, i’ll take the one with the glitter (duh!)

• 5. Anonymous  |  April 27th, 2012 at 9:01 am

• 6. Mfree  |  April 27th, 2012 at 9:06 am

I just wanted to pop in and say that I love the little videos you have been adding to posts lately. They are super cute (and the notebooks are too!)

• 7. stephanie  |  April 27th, 2012 at 9:22 am

yes the added video is great!

• 8. Justyna  |  April 27th, 2012 at 10:07 am

I love it! Definitely going to try this over the weekend. I love the videos… adds a nice touch!

• 9. ana flávia  |  April 27th, 2012 at 10:22 am

wonderful! i prefer paper too and if we can add some of our favorite pattern on the cover, even better!

• 10. Whitney (eat sleep cuddle.)  |  April 27th, 2012 at 11:09 am

whew! these are awesome! i love binding/rebinding books, but somehow i’ve never seen this done with the signatures before. love it love it.

• 11. Stephanie  |  April 27th, 2012 at 11:15 am

Love this! Polka dots are my fav. BTW – How did you get that pink effect leaked in the corner??

Thank you!

• 12. Violet Boutique  |  April 27th, 2012 at 11:26 am

These are beautiful! I love the colours and that bleeding effect!

• 13. Amy  |  April 27th, 2012 at 11:36 am

these are fabulous!
    Where are the lovely patterned papers from?

• 14. Kate  |  April 27th, 2012 at 11:45 am

BRILLIANCE. I’m a notebook addict too, much to Jack’s chagrin – will absolutely be trying this out in lieu of buying new ones constantly!

• 15. bri  |  April 27th, 2012 at 11:50 am

amy, they are from paper source!

• 16. bonnie jean woolger  |  April 27th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

What a great idea!!! thanks for sharing it.

• 17. Amy  |  April 27th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

yeah – thank you!
    Papersource here I come…

• 18. Elisse  |  April 27th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I love these! So Cute. I really want you guys to do a post on where you buy all of your awesome crafting materials.

• 19. Rebecca - A Daily Something  |  April 27th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

OH MAN! This is wonderful…and seems so so simple! Thanks for a fantastic DIY, Natalie!

• 20. Amy  |  April 27th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Awesome! What is this type of binding called?

• 21. Danette  |  April 27th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

this will be perfect for my daughter’s art party!

• 22. Patty  |  April 27th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

This is wonderful! I am a photographer and always look for new ways to use photos. I just found one!

• 23. thia  |  April 27th, 2012 at 2:06 pm

great idea for keeping all those special greeting cards, make them into a booklet- perfect!

• 24. This Week on Pinterest &l&hellip  |  April 27th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

[…] DIY pattern-covered notebooks. By Bri Emery on Design Love Fest. This is a great project for using up wrapping paper scraps, or for those pieces that are just too […]

• 25. Marie  |  April 27th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I love this idea and the crafty way of binding. Plus what a fun gif! :)

• 26. Ashley  |  April 27th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Ahhmazing! Very simple, love it!

• 27. Write it Down. « t.&hellip  |  April 27th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

[…] this is why the following MAKE YOUR OWN NOTEBOOK DIY really caught my attention! We’ve been talking about craft nights lately…and I really […]

• 28. look see  |  April 27th, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I love this idea! :)

• 29. Friday Link Pack | Design&hellip  |  April 27th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

[…] Folded Notebooks! *so […]

• 30. Cam  |  April 28th, 2012 at 4:33 am

always adore a great stationary DIY! fabulous .. xo

• 31. Kateri  |  April 28th, 2012 at 7:38 am

really nice idea – and gif images are so helpful, wow! I really want to make my own little notebook!

• 32. Katie  |  April 28th, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I also love notebooks- its funny cause I am never without my ipad or my macbook- but I still always write in a notebook- they are the best. I am still using my one from the London blogshop!

Katie

x

• 33. beautybarbie24  |  April 29th, 2012 at 2:56 am

Dude this is seriously LEGIT! I am so doing this. Please check out my blog thanks<3

• 34. Chris Qualls  |  April 29th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

These are awesome!!!

• 35. Trix  |  April 29th, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Love the way the binding looks from the side. Thanks for sharing this clever tutorial!

• 36. sooki  |  April 30th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Wowzer!!! Great tutorial and love the animation!

• 37. DIY Notebook « seen&hellip  |  May 2nd, 2012 at 1:46 am

[…] be trying this great folded notebook DIY from Design Love Fest. Complete with tutorial, informative images and even gif animation, this looks fun and […]

• 38. Sara  |  May 2nd, 2012 at 1:48 am

This is so great, wonderful tutorial! Hope you don´t mind that I share it! :)

• 39. Friday Best… «&hellip  |  May 4th, 2012 at 1:05 am

[…] Love this simple notebook making technique from Design Love Fest. […]

• 40. TGIF: REVERIE KINDS OF WO&hellip  |  May 4th, 2012 at 3:10 am

[…] these genius notebooks […]

• 41. Natsumi  |  May 6th, 2012 at 11:40 am

Thanks for this! A great diy gift.

• 42. colleen  |  May 6th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

this is AMAZING! love the little gifs! your instructions are so perfect until the cover part, where i got a smidge lost. (maybe it is just me!)

• 43. Something Good « A &hellip  |  May 7th, 2012 at 9:51 am

[…] Make It: Folded Notebook on Design Love Fest. Oh, nerd alert, I so want to make this book! […]

• 44. extraa-polate me  |  May 7th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

This is so cool, I love small notebooks like those!!
    Definitely making one, plus it can become a cute gift for mother’s day if I write poems in it!!

• 45. Friday Best… «&hellip  |  May 12th, 2012 at 8:25 am

[…] Love this simple notebook making technique from Design Love Fest. […]

• 46. kate  |  May 15th, 2012 at 3:48 pm

great idea! love it! i got a little lost with the cover too. could you do an animated gif as well.

• 47. Stacey  |  May 16th, 2012 at 3:05 am

Fantastic idea! I will try! :)

• 48. B (Make Do and Spend)  |  May 18th, 2012 at 6:30 am

How clever! And seemingly simple. I’ve been looking at a scrapbook for my recent holiday, but I think I might just have a go at making one from scratch – thank you!

• 49. Clickity Click! | The Kar&hellip  |  May 25th, 2012 at 3:06 am

[…] How to make beautiful notebooks. By: thek1208 05/25/2012 Clickity click Share […]

• 50. State of Technology #60 &&hellip  |  May 27th, 2012 at 2:01 pm

[…] #tool – Make your own notebook in 15 minutes […]

• 51. Karissa Ferguson  |  June 7th, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Great step by steps! I also got lost with the cover but it kind of worked out for me. My binding looks different, not as nice, but maybe that will improve with another try. And I used just white computer paper for the pages, is that a bad idea? Great project though and I’m definitely going to try another to perfect my technique. Thanks for the great DIY!

• 52. PRETTY THINGS: DIY «&hellip  |  July 18th, 2012 at 5:29 am

[…] Handmade folded notebooks are a must for every creative notebook lover.  (source) […]

• 53. Sofia  |  August 4th, 2012 at 9:00 am

WOW! Please just explain with pictures on how to apply the cover! :)))

• 54. Sofia  |  August 4th, 2012 at 9:02 am

HOW TO APLLY THE COVER AGAIN. I JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND. :)

• 55. Natalie  |  August 5th, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Where did you get that paper? It’s so pretty and compliment each other perfectly! I want to get some for when I make them. Thanks!

• 56. Natalie  |  August 5th, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Haha and it’s cool how we have the same name! Amazing idea btw. I never knew making a notebook could be this easy!

• 57. Lisa  |  August 10th, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Applying the cover is difficult. I agree with Sofia.

• 58. DIY Notebook ** « C&hellip  |  August 12th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

[…] http://www.designlovefest.com/2012/04/make-it-10-2/ […]

• 59. MAKE IT / 18 | D E S I G &hellip  |  August 31st, 2012 at 6:31 am

[…] remember these notebooks we did a few months ago? both of them are great for back to […]

• 60. Top 5 DIY Notebooks &laqu&hellip  |  September 9th, 2012 at 9:58 am

[…] Folded Notebook by Design Love Fest Rate this:Share this:MoreLike this:LikeBe the first to like […]

• 61. Book making tutorials | M&hellip  |  October 12th, 2012 at 11:26 am

[…] really like this tutorial on Design Love Fest. The photos are well lighted and informative, and the paper adds fun, bright […]

• 62. Similar book making tutor&hellip  |  October 12th, 2012 at 11:39 am

[…] I really like this tutorial on Design Love Fest. The photos are well lighted and informative, and the paper adds fun, bright […]

• 63. Sal  |  October 15th, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I’m with you, Sofia and Lisa. Such a cool design, I was so excited to be able to make some as gifts, but PLEASE could you explain the cover further? I just can’t figure it out.

• 64. Lyn  |  November 21st, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I couldn’t figure out the cover either but I changed it and it works, both pieces need to be tab pieces, no slot piece. Insert one from the front and one from the back and fold around the first two pages of the book and tape or glue together. Essentially you lose the first two pages of the notebook as they are inside the cover. I couldn’t make it work with one piece of cover stock being a slot because the top and bottom of the book are both slots so both had to be tabs to work.

• 65. Hayley  |  December 8th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

i’ll definitely be making these for my friends for Christmas!

• 66. Xmas: the third day | Kí&hellip  |  December 26th, 2012 at 8:05 am

[…] http://www.designlovefest.com/2012/04/make-it-10-2/ […]

• 67. Nikki  |  December 31st, 2012 at 10:50 am

im having trouble getting the slots and tabs together.. help! i dont get how they fit together.. love the project though :)

• 68. Nikki  |  December 31st, 2012 at 9:56 pm

i finished :D i LOVe this project!!!!!thanks for sharing!!!!!

• 69. designcakelove&hellip  |  January 13th, 2013 at 5:30 pm

[…] Notebook 4.Library Card Notebook 5.Embroidered Camera Notebook 6.Cereal Box Notebook 7.Folded Notebook  8.Lace Patterned Notebook 9.Gold Leaf Notepad 10.Chalkboard Notebook Share this: Pin ItShare […]

• 70. Tom Marino  |  February 13th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I am a notebook addict also. This is my first try in making one. I have all of the pages together and I have the cover together but can’t figure out “lastly wrap the remaining cover paper? and how to the pages get into the cover?

Tom

• 71. Robin  |  February 27th, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Cover was tricky…but I got it.
    Slip the tab of the back cover through the last 2 pages of the last signature. Fold the excess paper over the last two pages and the small tab you will now see on the inside of the last signature. tape.

For front cover slip two pages of the front signature through the covers’ slot and fold the excess paper over the first two pages and the small section of cover paper you now see on the inside of the first signature.

It’s easier than it sounds.
    Love it!
    I’m teaching my students to make these and use as sketchbooks. So much easier than punching holes and stringing together.

• 72. maria  |  March 26th, 2013 at 11:49 pm

This is so cool!! I’m a big fan of notebook and now i have a chance to make one..thanks to u

• 73. Homemade Gift Ideas for t&hellip  |  April 17th, 2013 at 5:46 pm

[…] from My So Called Crafty Life | 8. DIY Drawstring Tote from a Towel from petit elefant 1. Colorful Hand Bound Books from Design Love Fest | 2. Upcycled Cupcake Crayons from Making It Sweet | 3. DIY Lego Pencil […]

• 74. onel  |  April 24th, 2013 at 11:13 pm

OMG, this is so cool!! Thank you so much for the inspiration. Definitely making a notebook with this! :)

• 75. New birthday cards.. | ki&hellip  |  April 27th, 2013 at 12:01 am

[…] In other news, here’s a fab DIY I found: notebooks you can make yourself without any stitching or binding! Check them out here. […]

• 76. Tutorial | Folded Noteboo&hellip  |  May 3rd, 2013 at 5:00 am

[…] love that these notebooks by Nathalie at Design Love Fest are made using just a special cutting and folding techniqu…. No glue required! Use for brag books or jotters to throw in your purse. Click here to see the full […]

• 77. Michal  |  May 8th, 2013 at 1:29 am

I just made it! Turned out so pretty!!!! Can I send you a picture?:)

• 78. Isabel  |  May 25th, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Hello this looks great! However, could you upload a video on how you can go about making it? (: Im not sure about how to attch the cover and how to attach the signatures.

• 79. katelyn  |  May 31st, 2013 at 12:10 am

nice job he or ashe

• 80. Ceci  |  July 9th, 2013 at 8:39 pm

L0v3 1t <3

• 81. D.I.Y Notebooks | rabbyla&hellip  |  August 15th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

[…] idea is from designlovefest.com and to paraphrase the Beatles, all you need is […]

• 82. Bianca  |  August 21st, 2013 at 6:48 am

Hi! I love it. Where did you get the paper? Specifically, the blue, red, and white one. Thank you. :-)

• 83. 10+ pocket-friendly Teach&hellip  |  August 25th, 2013 at 5:45 pm

[…] Source: Design Love Fest […]

• 84. DIY: A notebook, A sticky&hellip  |  August 28th, 2013 at 7:42 am

[…] “How To Create” posts. Well, I’m going to start off with this one that I saw on Design Love Fest. Although this isn’t my idea, Bri is so brilliant that I think you will be really happy. She […]

• 85. Carly  |  September 4th, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I’m having issues connecting my signatures, the slot pieces are ripping when I try and put it together

• 86. The Lucky 13 | Quite Book&hellip  |  September 15th, 2013 at 9:51 am

[…] these little notebooks […]

• 87. SannE  |  September 19th, 2013 at 9:42 am

O, thanks for sharing this, never saw anything alike. It’s surprising and looks great. I’m going to try this.

• 88. Laynie  |  October 2nd, 2013 at 12:47 am

This is so insanely amazing! I too go through entirely too many notebooks, and while I love getting them on sale (hello ten cent notebooks, come to me so I can LOVE you!!) I also make my own.

I’ve been doing coptic binding, which is fun and soothing and all that, but it’s also SLOW. The end result is beautiful, but this one is pretty darn cool too! You could do a fun cover that ended up covering the whole back if you liked, as well.

So much fun, I’ll DEFINITELY be doing this one. Thanks for the instructions!

• 89. ratih  |  January 1st, 2014 at 8:01 am

thanks for sharing :)

• 90. jimpap  |  February 3rd, 2014 at 5:19 am

Total respect. Thank you!

• 91. Nat etc. (France)  |  February 5th, 2014 at 3:51 am

Hello & Thank you very much for this nice tutorial.
    I shared on my blog(with credit of course), but I haven’t translate it to French yet…
    I work on recycled papers and your post fills my head with loads of nw ideas.
    Thanks again !

• 92. Kristi  |  April 12th, 2014 at 4:13 pm

This is fantastic! I’m hoping to make this with my kid this summer as a mixed media project. We’ll make fancy mixed media covers and then use them to make your little notebooks! Thank you!

• 93. craft lovers  |  May 8th, 2014 at 11:20 pm

it so cute…I LOVE IT!!!!

• 94. raising testosterone levels naturally  |  June 30th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve visited this blog before but after going through a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m certainly happy I came across it and I’ll be book-marking it and
    checking back regularly!

Check out my blog; raising testosterone levels naturally

• 95. www.upclosemedia.com  |  July 6th, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Thanks for finally talking about > MAKE IT / 10 | D E S I G
    N L O V E F E S T < Loved it!

Feel free to visit my site; Liftderma reviews (http://www.upclosemedia.com)

• 96. calcium  |  July 25th, 2014 at 5:14 am

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous
    to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I really like what
    you’ve acquired here, really like what you are stating and the
    way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take
    care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read far more from you.
    This is actually a terrific website.

For an incredible solution please view this amazing site calcium

• 97. rozana  |  September 3rd, 2014 at 5:38 am

wah very nice can make for teacher’s day gift!

• 98. Urte  |  October 28th, 2014 at 2:53 am

So this amazed me so, that I am actually trying it.. And apparently it’s not as easy as it looks or at least not for me :D
    I am struggling to make this part happen: “feeding the top 2 tabbed pieces into the bottom 2 slotted pieces of the signature on top of it. So the top tabbed sheets of your second signature will feed into the last slotted sheets of you first signature and so on.” I’ve tried and tried but I suppose my tabbed ones don’t get where to go.. Do you by any chance have any visuals for this part so it gets a bit clearer? Now I am really determined to finish my book! Thanks

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg