FOOD / 20
so last year i had the privilege of traveling to hawaii for work. man that place has a lot of rainbows. i mean like every day another rainbow, sometimes two and sometimes DOUBLE RAINBOWS.
and even better than rainbows was coconut rice we were served at a little restaurant in haleiwa. many a night i have spent dreaming about that rice and i finally decided to take it upon myself and give it a go. because i am so sophisticated and also a fan of making easy stuff super hard, i traded rice for risotto. sophisticated, right? the good news: not complicated. not at all!
what you’ll need:
• 1 cup arborio rice
• 2 cups water
• 2 teaspoons coconut oil – it kind of looks like lard and tastes like suntan lotion, but strangely i find it super useful so get yo-self some!
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons honey
what to do:
• in a saucepan over medium heat add risotto and coconut oil
• stir the risotto, coating it well with the oil for about a minute
* add the water, stir and bring to a boil. cook uncovered for about ten minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. no need to stir.
once that h2o is almost gone:
• add in the coconut milk, vanilla and honey. stir again.
• reduce heat to low and cover. cook about 5 to 10 more minutes so that all of the liquid is absorbed. now, eat up!
breakfast: with toasted almonds, a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of honey
lunch: use the stickiness to your advantage and turn’em into risotto burgers. fry’em up i a pan and serve on a leaf of butter lettuce with a slice of red onion and avocado
dinner: as a perfect side dish to pork, tofu, chicken or roasted veggies
dessert: top with stewed vanilla peaches, toasted coconut and whipped cream!