03.21.12

TRAVELING TOGETHER

both jen and I had never explored london. we had zero idea what the “hip” areas were, and we just wanted it to be perfect. for the start of our london trip, we chose to stay at the town hall hotel. and it was a legit choice for sure.

i was immediately intrigued by the unique juxtaposition of old and new going on with the design of the hotel. they have all these little surprises spread around the rooms (brass animals hiding places, unexpected furniture…)

we made these memory books to document our travels together. it took me back to my days of working on a journal everyday…cutting out magazines, carrying around double stick tape…then it all switched to a digital diary. i miss the handmade way sometimes, don’t you?…

they had such an impressive pool situation. i am obsessed with those gold stairs! and they had these cute rubber ducks planted all around the hotel.

side story: jen left her phone in a cab on the way to the hotel (not the best way to start the trip) and the hotel staff went above and beyond to find it. and they did! that one called for a group hug. we became buddies with the really sweet staff here. awesome service like this is hard to find.

oh! we went to the bar to get rid of traveling/jetlag stress and they had the most unique drinks! we ordered one called “the ron burgundy” that was served under a silver platter with smoked mahogany and sat on top of a leather bound book (that you got to sign) i mean, how funny is that!? this hotel just gets it.

it was really great working with hotels.com on this. (when I was little I wanted to be a hotel reviewer ha) they have this cool program called welcome rewards where you accumulate 10 nights and get one free. with all this blogshop travel that adds up pretty quick. our paris hotel was toooootally different than this but equally cool. overall, this london hotel experience was top notch!

(hotel room sponsored by hotels.com/welcomerewards – photos by jen gotch)

• 1. Kayla  |  March 21st, 2012 at 6:38 am

So many great photos! Looks like a great trip!

xo
    Kayla

• 2. Lottie Really Loves  |  March 21st, 2012 at 6:44 am

That looks like a really good hotel and the staff sounds absolutely amazing–if my friends ask for somewhere to stay I will recommend this one without a doubt.

And that hotels.com welcome rewards program sounds amazing–especially as I always thought being a hotel reviewer would be one of the coolest jobs ever :)

• 3. Joshua Stannard  |  March 21st, 2012 at 6:45 am

Looks GREAT!! How long are you in London/England for? And what else do you have planned?

• 4. Gertrude  |  March 21st, 2012 at 6:46 am

I am obseesed with hotels!I admit it!I have this odd habit to pay a virtual visit in every room,lobby or pool offered to tourists!I check in everywhere and I am happy!

• 5. Maggie  |  March 21st, 2012 at 6:52 am

I’m so jealous – I design hotels for a living, but I’ve never gotten to do anything as fun as that! What a fantastic hotel – thanks for sharing in such a fun way!

• 6. Pegah S  |  March 21st, 2012 at 7:04 am

what lovely pictures you have taken and you an Jen look like you can be sisters with the same style. I love your travel book idea, it is so fun and pretty.

• 7. Supal {chevrons and éclairs}  |  March 21st, 2012 at 7:05 am

these shots {and places!} are so cool!! Thanks for sharing!!

• 8. Rebecca - A Daily Something  |  March 21st, 2012 at 7:23 am

Your journals! They look like so much fun. And lucky girls, getting to travel together and stay in such sweet hotels :)

• 9. xanthe  |  March 21st, 2012 at 7:48 am

Your memory book looks fabulous, I miss making those too x.

• 10. ADVICE / 8 | D E S I G N &hellip  |  March 21st, 2012 at 7:59 am

[...] those full journals in the post below this, sometimes our mind is just BLANK. today we answer the question: how do you [...]

• 11. Sunny  |  March 21st, 2012 at 8:38 am

Where did you get your green pastel shoes? I love them!

• 12. Ashlie  |  March 21st, 2012 at 8:48 am

All your travel posts make me want to take a trip! Luckily I have your awesome photos to look at and pretend I’m there!

• 13. bri  |  March 21st, 2012 at 8:50 am

sunny – they are from topshop! and they are comfy!

• 14. Clara  |  March 21st, 2012 at 8:55 am

What an awesome way to travel, Bri! I loved your review, it was so helpful. I hope they send you on more trips so you can tell me about more fabulous hotels!

• 15. Brianna  |  March 21st, 2012 at 9:00 am

I love the idea of carrying a journal with double stick tape. I never thought of that, only writing about activities when they’re over, but you have a better idea.

• 16. Kayla  |  March 21st, 2012 at 9:11 am

I’m going to London in a few weeks, so this post is actually perfect! The hotel looks fab, but what’s the neighborhood like? Convenient? Did you feel safe? I’d love to get your insight! Thanks Bri!

• 17. gia  |  March 21st, 2012 at 11:49 am

What about your black striped cardi? Love it.

• 18. eva burns  |  March 21st, 2012 at 1:24 pm

LOVE the journal! It looks the perfect keepsake. Thanks for sharing all the fun photos.

• 19. YYZ  |  March 21st, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I love that hotel! The art and the groovy decor “surprises” are so cool! It’s also in the perfect neighbourhood for you guys. Glad you had a good time in my beloved London town. :)

• 20. Lorena  |  March 21st, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Love london! One of my favourites cities. Cute journal!

• 21. thivia  |  March 21st, 2012 at 2:59 pm

This post is really so inspiring! That book looks gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing, Bri! It really spruced up my day! Nothing like tape and cutting out things for hours. :)

• 22. Marie  |  March 21st, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I love the journals! :) Fun memories.

• 23. ash  |  March 21st, 2012 at 5:41 pm

this post definitely painted london in a different light for me! i always thought of it as dreary and cold and rainy (thanks to “a tale of two cities” and “great expectations”) but now i see it can be super fun and exciting. if/when i go to london, i know i’ll be staying at the town hall hotel!

• 24. Ronnie  |  March 21st, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Awesome review Bri! Wondering what journals you guys used?
    Ronnie xo

• 25. Ismay  |  March 22nd, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’ve stayed in this hotel! It’s really cool. Glad you had a good time.

• 26. Currently // Oh My! &laqu&hellip  |  March 26th, 2012 at 5:31 am

[...] | I always love reading Design Love Fest, particularly this trip to London. (Ron Burgundy drink? [...]

• 27. ADVICE / 9 | D E S I G N &hellip  |  March 28th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

[...] ANSWER: when i was younger i was obsessed with mixed media. (like those journals from last week’s post!) i liked to feel like i was creating something with my hands. i really [...]

• 28. Carolyn Allen  |  March 30th, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Bri, where did you get the books you used for your travel book? I am looking to make a memory book for my best friend’s upcoming birthday. Thanks! :)
    -Carolyn

• 29. anne  |  April 1st, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I love that idea, of the Ron Burgandy. We have a great bar here in Denver called Williams & Graham – they have a similar concept. They just get it. It is like a modern speak easy, and the service is fantastic!

• 30. MAKE IT / 25 | D E S I G &hellip  |  November 26th, 2012 at 6:30 am

[...] this “ron burgundy” drink in london or this rooftop bar in new york? there was the drake in toronto, the wine baby bottles [...]

LOVE THIS SKIRT…