03.16.12

MAKE IT / 7

photos by jen gotch

if you’re anything like me your nightstand or bathroom counter becomes a catchall for your after-fun discards (earrings, rings and other baubles, maybe some bobbies) or primping essentials (lipstick, perfume). i don’t mind a bit of that, but it’s nice to stay organized and have some semblance of order so you know where to find things (and don’t lose your favorite earring down the sink!) this week we transformed a plain wooden tray into a vanity tray to hold your stash. hey, it would make a pretty sweet bar tray too!

what you’ll need:

• wooden tray (ours is from michael’s, in the wooden section. it’s actually a mosaic frame, but we liked the long shape. you can even find trays at thrift stores or upcycle one you already own but may not be crazy about)
• white spray paint
• pencil
• gold paint
• hole punch
• vellum paper
• wood sealant (we chose a matte version)
• paintbrush

the steps:
first, we spray painted the tray white, and let it dry. next we punch different sized vellum dots and placed them sporadically around the tray. we used just a dab of glue stick to hold them in place. when we were happy with the placement we added some gold dots using a pencil eraser as a rubber stamp. once the paint dried we brushed on a coat of the wood sealant and let it dry.

then: let it be a pretty little catchall for your pretty little things. or hey, a nice bottle of whiskey and some little cocktail aromatics if that’s your thing. -alex

(see more of these crafty MAKE IT posts here!)

• 1. ash  |  March 16th, 2012 at 9:27 am

What a great DIY! I think tiny dots is much more fun than just a plain tray, and you could probably find ways to add a little variety based off this craft. Thanks so much for sharing!

• 2. Rebecca - A Daily Something  |  March 16th, 2012 at 10:14 am

Alex, this is gorgeous!

• 3. Kira @ Her New Leaf  |  March 16th, 2012 at 11:03 am

Where did you get that double-sided hole punch? I’ve never seen one like it, it’s so cute!

• 4. Supal {chevrons and éclairs}  |  March 16th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Oh this is so so so pretty!

• 5. percentblog  |  March 16th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

So cute! Love the little dots!

• 6. sandra  |  March 16th, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I LOVE dots..and trays, as well. Cute, and protect my dresser and counter tops. EASY to move about. I LOVE you, alex!

• 7. eat my shorts  |  March 16th, 2012 at 6:12 pm

This looks so great! Love it! :)

• 8. Pink Ronnie  |  March 16th, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Great idea! Always great to have somewhere to put one’s stash.
    Ronnie xo

• 9. Lottie Really Loves  |  March 19th, 2012 at 6:21 am

I am definitely going to be giving this a go. I have far too many bits and pieces that litter the top of my drawers.

• 10. Karen  |  March 27th, 2012 at 10:31 am

From one who has had to break open the plumbing more than once to retrieve jewelry…Love the tray. Pencil eraser as stamp is so smart.

• 11. Top 5 DIY Trays « M&hellip  |  September 1st, 2012 at 6:01 am