03.01.12

MAKE IT / 5

photos by jen gotch

i hope you have last week’s stir stick firmly planted in your strong drink, in the sturdy grip of your clenched manicured hand right about now, because this week’s craft is a pretty knock-your-socks-off kind of DIY. what do i think is so special about these wire vases? let me count the ways. first of all, when poking around for inspiration, images of these ethereal shapes began to to find bri and i until we could no longer ignore them (and why would we want to?) secondly, these delicate beauties are so simple to make and cost well under $5 each while delivering such a sucker punch of style.

the cool thing about these vases is that you can make them in so many different colors, sizes and shapes. they look great styled alone, with other cool pieces on a shelf or grouped in multiples (my personal favorite!) when you layer several in different shades and wire textures they create this amazing illusion of movement where the wire overlaps and makes a moire pattern. now, let’s get into the important stuff: how you can make these at home.

what you’ll need:
• chicken wire (sold by the foot at most hardware stores in different patterns and thicknesses.) i used two different sizes of poultry wire and a mesh.
• wire cutters
• interesting shaped glass objects to use as a “mold”
• smaller pieces of wire
• hot glue gun
• spray paint

the steps:
first, cut the wire down to workable sized pieces after you decide what shape you’d like them to be. wrap the wire around your mold object and form it into the desired shape. you may want to wear gloves to avoid being poked!

then:
use the smaller wire pieces or hot glue gun to fasten it into a closed object. bend the wire at the bottom to create a sturdy surface so the object can stand freely. finish with spray paint. now style and stand back to admire their shapely silhouettes and your superior handy work.

see you next week! -alex

(see more of these crafty MAKE IT posts here!)

• 1. Sarah // Hemenway Street  |  March 1st, 2012 at 10:51 am

These are so cute! It seems like such a fun project. Thanks for sharing!

• 2. jeni  |  March 1st, 2012 at 11:11 am

so simple and easy! loving this idea!

• 3. Sarah  |  March 1st, 2012 at 11:50 am

Very cool! I love the shapes! They’re bold, but so delicate at the same time! Lovely! Can’t wait to try this one out!

• 4. Maggie  |  March 1st, 2012 at 11:52 am

Oh, what a fantastic idea! Can’t wait to try this out!

• 5. Emily  |  March 1st, 2012 at 12:04 pm

ok you got me – these are SO good!!!

• 6. Jude  |  March 1st, 2012 at 12:11 pm

What a fun project!

• 7. Danie  |  March 1st, 2012 at 1:02 pm

These are so cute! I can’t wait to make my own. Hope I don’t poke myself..

• 8. Michael Ann  |  March 1st, 2012 at 1:50 pm

These are fabulous! I think they would look so fun holding a couple delicate little tissue paper flowers, time to get to the hardware store…

• 9. julia  |  March 1st, 2012 at 2:04 pm

so creative!

• 10. Cori {Pretty Haute Mess}  |  March 1st, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Love these! You guys make DIY look so damn cool!

• 11. sandra  |  March 1st, 2012 at 3:41 pm

The possibilities for this great idea are endless..wish there was more contrast in the photos so I could see better.

• 12. Friday Favorites « &hellip  |  March 2nd, 2012 at 7:52 am

[…] pretty gorgeous craft, especially considering the only materials are chicken wire and spray […]

• 13. CherryPop  |  March 2nd, 2012 at 11:26 am

sweet font. you’re welcome. i miss you alreadyyyyyyyy.

• 14. Plus 1 Minus 2 and The We&hellip  |  March 4th, 2012 at 11:51 am

[…] how to take better pictures from the Organic Photography workshop she hosted last weekend. – These wire vases are a perfect fit with this week’s mesh […]

• 15. find me here: make it on &hellip  |  March 4th, 2012 at 11:00 pm

[…] me here today where i show you to make a high-impact design piece in under 30 mins for under $5. Share […]

• 16. Kara  |  March 5th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

love these wire vases! there perfect to display, there simple and easy, and they look cute and fun! love the bright colors, i’m not the best crafter, but i love these DIYs. this is one of my fave thing on this blog!

• 17. Les  |  March 6th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

So easy and fun and quick.

• 18. Karen  |  March 9th, 2012 at 10:55 am

Love these. I literally feel lighter looking at them. Addictive…you can’t make just one!

• 19. beara  |  March 11th, 2012 at 9:45 am

i am so confused with these instructions. am i the only one? i really want to make them, but it seems so unclear.

• 20. Patty Condotta  |  August 1st, 2012 at 9:33 am

I love these. Hope to get crafting them soon. For anyone living in Canada, chicken wire is available at Dollar Rams Stores for a dollar. Thank you for the great ideas.

photo X9A3191-edit_zps661cdbcb.jpg