02.24.12

MAKE IT / 4

photos by jen gotch

nothing quenches your thirst quite like a festive drink named after a mythical creature. unless that drink is also adorned with a bright, fun, sparkly stir stick. let’s get started!

what you’ll need:
• glue (i used a hot glue gun)
• large hole punch (i used a 2 1/8″ but they make them up to 3″ that i’ve seen, and i like the 2.75 inch from this brand)
• colored tissue paper
• patterned paper straws and/or wooden or plastic stir sticks (i used my favorite bamboo skewers)
• something fun for the top, like these little iridescent pom poms that are sold at most craft stores.

the steps:
for the simpler stir sticks, cut the paper straw down to size and glue a pom on top! you’re done!

if you want to get a little crazier, you can punch tissue circles and pierce them onto the stick one by one, using the glue gun to create small blobs of glue that will keep them properly spaced and secure on the stick. finish with a fancy top. make as many as you want in different colors, patterns, shapes and sizes.

now you’re ready to style em’ in some pretty glasses and make yourself a date with a unicorn! see you next week! -alex

(see last week’s MAKE IT post here!)

• 1. Rebecca - A Daily Something  |  February 24th, 2012 at 7:47 am

So gorgeous, Alex! Love the addition of the tissue paper circles. Also, I like how you include the craft time – important for people like me who don’t have patience. I think I could manage 10 mins ;)

• 2. Inés  |  February 24th, 2012 at 8:14 am

Great idea! thanks for share!
    Have a nice weekend!
    xoxo

SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

• 3. Sarah  |  February 24th, 2012 at 8:20 am

So cute and simple! I will definitely be doing this the next time I have a party. Or maybe just to make an everyday meal more fun.

• 4. invitation consultants  |  February 24th, 2012 at 8:59 am

love the sparkly poms! we used similar stirs in our cocktails!

• 5. adele  |  February 24th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Love these, they’re so funky!
    Happy weekend hun xoxo

• 6. Katie  |  February 24th, 2012 at 10:43 am

Too cute! Do you know of any good places to buy cute patterned straws in a store and not online? I have a big party tomorrow and am feeling ambitious!

• 7. Amanda Smith  |  February 24th, 2012 at 11:24 am

I love this, I have made a ton of things like this myself at my Etsy shop:

It is super easy and I love how these sparkly little fuzz balls add pop to my parties.

Cheers,
    Amanda

• 8. Sharna  |  February 24th, 2012 at 11:54 am

These are too fun, everyone should have a little whimsy with their drink! I think I’ll have mine with sparkling orange juice!

• 9. AlexMichael May  |  February 24th, 2012 at 11:59 am

hi katie! glad you like them! where do you live? i might be able to help you find something!

• 10. Jaclyn  |  February 24th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I just made stir sticks just like this with the little pom poms, but I never thought of using the straws. Such a great idea!

• 11. Emily  |  February 27th, 2012 at 3:21 pm

ahh these are soo cute!!!

• 12. Maddi  |  February 29th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I am the ultimate party person, and these are so cute! I will totally use these! :)

• 13. MAKE IT / 5 | D E S I G N&hellip  |  March 1st, 2012 at 10:47 am

[…] hope you have last week’s stir stick firmly planted in your strong drink, in the sturdy grip of your clenched manicured hand right about […]

photo X9A3191-edit_zps661cdbcb.jpg