01.25.12

THINKING ABOUT COLOR

we always talk to our students in blogshop about how important color is. and how you should start looking around at what colors you are drawn to. not only will this help you define yourself, but it’s a great exercise when you are trying to form a brand…

one / two

for instance. i’m a fan of the bright. i live for mustard yellow, magenta, teal & gold. i find my eyes being drawn to those colors 54 times a day. when i am outside, on pinterest, browsing the internet… so naturally, when I’m designing, those colors come to mind immediately and are seen on this blog all the time. after a while, i started getting comments like “this is so designlovefest!” or “bri would love this!” and that’s because they start to get a sense of who i am and what my brand is all about.

look in your closet, look at your home decor, look in your purse. what colors do you see? and what do they say about you?

Abby says:

Simply marvelous! I love this idea! I find it so interesting to find out what colors people are drawn to; I think it says a lot about their personality and demeanor. And to think, “what’s your favorite color?” was one of the first things we asked when we were little.

wow, that first image is stunning. love the pink!!

Gena says:

I love it when you slip in some business-related advice! keep it comin.

Mai says:

my closet is pretty neutralized, but i’m working on that!
    loved this post!

Stephanie says:

I love these little tips that you share with us! THANK YOU for that. I’ve definitely been paying more attention to things that interest me and also figuring out why that may be. Neutrals are my comfort zone but i’m learning to be more BOLD!

Mommy Dearest says:

What’s funny is you don’t always even REALIZE the colors you are drawn to! If you asked me if pale blue and greens were my favorite colors, I would say no. But take a look at my living room and my wardrobe and there’s TONS of it! It just hit me today that even the living room we had in Burr Ridge when you were little, Bri, was pale blues! Totally different vibe, but still……..it’s crazy. : ) Love, The Momma Lady

bri says:

haha mom! i would TOTALLY say those are your favorite colors based on everything i know about you!

Suzy says:

I love how you write on all those photos—it’s just so playful and flowy. Color keeps me alive and well. Thanks for posting.

Great insight and tips, Ms. Bri! Color is such a fundamental and simple way of beginning to hone one’s style and design aesthetic. Start there and a lot of other things just fall into place! Definitely a great thing to consider while developing a brand!

Laura says:

What a great idea/tip! Lately I’ve been finding myself obsessed with baby pink, a pop of teal and a splash of goldish yellow, all accented with subtle uses of black. Like this — http://www.acquiredtaste.org/2012/01/food-talk12-cooking-frame-of-mind.html. Maybe I’ll take your advice and try to work these tones into my work more. Thx Bri! xo

you are speaking my language! these were the colors of my wedding + a bit of silver, too.

Grey seems to be a reoccuring colour to me which I find really disappointing as grey connotates to me boring and blah–I need to have more colour in my life obviously!

Rachael B says:

That’s really a smart insight. My blog lacks color which is funny because so does my wardrobe yet everything else I have/own, is bold and bright. My jewelry is always turquoise, soft yellows, blacks, and deep purples. Moody colors mostly. I should change my blog to match it. If for no other reason than maybe I’ll start posting more often. Thanks Bri!

Sarolta says:

This idea is so simple and so awesome! Thank you! I just started blogging and now I can’t wait to get home and check my colors. I love colors so much, I hope I can make a selection. Thank you for the post!

love the first pic! at my closet (and all around me..) i see grey, black, white and some brown. summer is a liiiitle more colorful, maybe tints of these palettes.

This is awesome – it’s so important to become recognizable! You are so good at staying true to your style! xo

I’m so with you on mustard yellow, teal and magenta. I just designed a logo for my PR consulting company a few months ago that is teal, mustard, and a coral-ish color (along with a warm grey) and it makes me happy every time I look at it!

this is great advice! i find myself drawn to SO MANY different styles, it’s hard for me to focus my eye sometimes!

nicole says:

too much bright! neons, lily p. type patterns…need to try simple and black, someday… maybe:)

Elisse says:

This is such a simple, but inspiring post. Without realizing it, I’ve been thinking about colors I’m drawn to since I read this. Awesome!

sally says:

I know just what you mean! I used to be drawn to ’70s colors (brown, orange, mustard, avocado), but over the last few years have become enamored with aqua, dusty pink, and sandy tan – the colors of vintage maps (which befits my blog theme perfectly!). You’ve inspired a blog post on the subject so thanks much! xo

cats & dogs says:

My partner and I stumbled over here different page and
    thought I may as well check things out. I like
    what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to
    looking into your web page again.

I have got study great number of information sites plus gone through many websites,but your work is always fantastic.Caps off for the perseverance and credibility.Do continue us educated in future too.

Good day! This is my 1st comment here soo I just wanted to give a quick shout
    out and tell you I really enjoy reading through your
    blog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that
    cver the same subjects? Thank you!

Here is my weblog escorts in Dallas

Merrill says:

Howdy! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to give it a look.
    I’m definitely enbjoying the information. I’m book-marking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and wonderful
    design.

My web page – escorts in Dallas (Merrill)

Allie says:

Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ecer have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was haked and I
    ended up losing many months of hard work due to no backup.
    Do you have any solutins to stop hackers?

Here is my web-site escorts in Dallas (Allie)