01.10.12

STYLE / 35

photos by angela + ithyle

so this year, los angeles basically boycotted winter. it feels like it’s 150 degrees during the day, and then sweater/scarf weather at night. so i have been doing the in between dressing thing these days.

have you gone on any of those interesting dates with your bf lately? (you know, the ones I posted about here) i think riding bikes through paris with my guy is one of my favorite memories ever. there is something pretty special about just wandering around somewhere unknown together.

oh, and i have a random question. because i’m sitting here with some of the worst dreadlocks in the back of my hair (i had a therapist tell me once that I hold my anxiety in my hair. ha!) anyways, do you have a favorite conditioner, treatment or detangler to help me with this mess i have gotten myself into? much appreciated!

eden bell says:

Love this outfit πŸ™‚ I wish I was having the same weather issues in England!

You have probably heard of this before but Moroccan Oil Repair Mask is amazing. Being the bleach addict that I am this product REALLY helps my hair feel soft and shiny. (The whole line is brilliant)

xx

Quindome says:

Loving your giant scarf! Don’t laugh, but I swear by a good ole’ V05 hot oil treatment twice a month. I know it’s not super hip or cool, but my hair is super thick and sort of coarse and this always helps ease the inevitable dreadlocks/tangles πŸ™‚

Daniela H says:

I am so jazzed that you are wearing those socks! I just wrote a post about thigh highs on my website!

Jessie says:

I love Bliss’s Lemon + Sage shampoo and conditioner. The conditioner can be used daily and doesn’t weigh my hair down at all — it’s also a great detangler.

I also love Kerastase’s hair mask treatment — I try to do this once per week. My hair has been so much healthier since I’ve been using it. http://www.amazon.com/Kerastase-NUTRITIVE-MASQUINTENSE-ACTIVE-TREATMENT/dp/B0045KE6OC

Haylee says:

K that polka dot skirt? Freaking amazing! Gahh I need that.

Avery Cox says:

There is this awesome stuff called “Its a 10″… so random, but my hair dresser has used it for years and recommended that I buy it. Not too expensive, and the best stuff I have ever used in my whole life. Totally worth it. Its just a leave in conditioner that I spray after showering, or when I need to detangle…

nicole says:

the brazilian blowout products are AMAZING. i’ve never had the treatment, the products do the job good enough… good luck!

You look so cute! Much luck with the dread. I have no idea!

I’ve just started using this, but my hair is amazingly after my shower – it’s the Macadamia Hair Mask. (
    My hair is really damaged so it’s not a miracle mask, but well worth the money and makes a difference

Chelsea says:

Morocco oil! And to avoid the most damage do the brushing when your hair is dry. Better yet, ask the gals over at the beauty department! xo

adele says:

Loved seeing you whizzing across my screen!!!!
    Gorgeous polka dots & love the flash of orange xoxo

Jen says:

OI/OIL by Davines is miracle worker! It contain Roucou oil and I swear it will leave your hair softer than butter!

Jess says:

Working for Sephora, I get to try lots of deep conditioning/detangling masks. I adore Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Treatment. You’ll smell like a hippy while it’s in but it works wonders. (Ojon nut/oil smells like dirt, but since it’s natural there’s no synthetic fragrance to cover up the weird smell.) Bumble & Bumble makes a few nice ones, I prefer the Quench mask. Lastly, Living Proof has an awesome one that will last you years.

Best of luck and enjoy those bikes! Super jealous here in cold Kansas City.

Hanna says:

yet another great outfit! how do you do that that you wear all these colors and prints and still look put together and not like a maniac? that is truly inspiring.

yvonne says:

adorbs! And my hairdresser turned me onto Aveda’s Damage Remedy conditioner. It’s literally transformed my hair in a couple weeks. And I would die for your hair! Good Luck.

Marie says:

Cute outfit! Usually if I tease my hair and get it all knotted up I’ll go heavy on the conditioner. Then I’ll try combing it out with leave-in conditioner. πŸ™‚

Jessie says:

Cute! I have to second Aveda’s Damage Remedy. As a surfer with bleach blonde hair (ie. SO much damage), it has been miracle cream > I can brush my hair air! Good luck!

Vivianna says:

I love your outfit so much!

The BEST date i ever went on was a bike date a few years ago. They guy picked me up at work and then we just rode all around san francisco. The dated ended in the park with picnic

Kristina Price says:

the last thing i remember using was Johnson & Johnson No More Tangles

Robina says:

I’m chiming in for Moroccan Oil. It works great on curly, coarse hair. My hubby and I both use it. And it smells like heaven. Someone mentioned “It’s a 10.” A friend gave me some and I like what it does, but the scent is too strong for me.

Good luck and let us know what works!

Lauren says:

i’m also a huge fan of the entire moroccan oil line! even the (more affordable) drugstore version of the line is amazing, organic, and smells incredible.
    xoxo!

sarah.a says:

cute outfit! so fun. and loving this weather. not sure about the hair, i also need detangler stuff.

Danette says:

Joico K-Pak. When my hair was long it would get really nappy and scrunched up curly in the back and underneath. It looks like you have way thicker hair than me but it might still work for you. It rinses out really nicely and leaves hair soft and made my somewhat frizzy hair a bit more sleek. Try it.

Happy day!

love the polka dot skirt!

Sarah says:

I also get the “dreaded” dreads in the back of my hair, and have used just about every product. (I’m also a non-brusher like you, but try to get the tangles out about once a week) I like the Moroccan oil (the moroccan oil mask is better though I think) the ojon treatment is great- I use it after a shower. But the product I swear by hands down is Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask. I’m not kidding- deep nasty snarls don’t stand a chance. (and it’s cheap!) I comb the tangles out with the mask on in the shower with a wide toothed comb (I know you’re not supposed to, but it works for me) Good luck!

Dude you have to get the Macadamia Oil conditioning mask. Use it as your regular conditioner. A big ol’ glob of it. It is so good. http://www.amazon.com/Macadamia-Oil-Natural-Deep-Repair/dp/B005GKB14I

Megan says:

I love Enjoy’s treatment oil!! It is not as heavy as morocan oil, adds shine and decreases dry time! Great for a leave in, Added bonus you can use it on dry skin as well. In the shower Redken Blonde Glam is the way to go works well with delicate hair.

chloe says:

EVERYONE should ride a bike more often!

Anonymous says:

Hi Bri! try american dream by Lush, smells yummy, too!

I love riding my bike, too! It feels like flying, don’t you think?

DENISE. says:

I love Kiehls and they make an olive oil conditioner that I love. Get the one in the jar not the tube — the jar is just more concentrated and less expensive for what you get in the long run. I’ve also heard you can use just plain coconut oil. Good luck!

nicole b. says:

You’re a doll. Love your style column. For platinum blondes (like us), I recommend going to your stylist and asking about Goldwell’s Colorglow IQ Full Blonde Shine Regenerist Hair Masque. It is wonderful. I used it every other week. I can run a comb straight through it afterwards (no tangles), and it makes my hair super-soft. Good luck! xo.

The one I’m using right now is Sukesha Conditioner: Natural Balance. It has organic and natural ingredients but is amazingly affordable (like $9 a bottle?) and smells great. Plus, it isn’t heavy and is color-safe. It feels thin and you’d think it wouldn’t work well, but after applying, my hair is totally tangle free and it doesn’t weigh it down. I love it. And I’ve tried about 20 different conditioners. http://www.haircareusa.com/sukesha_conditioner.htm

joannegarcia says:

too cute! i love the polka dots.

i also love the fact that most of it is vintage/thrifted. takes diligence to make good finds!

Amanda says:

i have very similar hair to yours and i would die without awapuhi wild ginger keratin intensive treatment by paul mitchell. i use a normal conditioner and try to comb through most of my hair, then once i’ve gotten all the easy tangles out, i use a small amount of the awapuhi and the knots just melt away. good luck!

Linda says:

My hair is the same way and of all the expensive products I’ve tried, Suave clarifying shampoo has been awesome! Also, I saw Suave For Kids Awesome Apple Detangler Spray recommended on beauty sites and it works great! And putting olive oil and or honey on your ends as a mask does wonders as well. I used to think more $ equals better product but it’s changed my thinking lately πŸ™‚

Gosh, you think of the best activities/backdrops for your style posts. What a great vintage sweater, too!!

Kat says:

I have the most tangly hair ever! I just use herbal essences shampoo and condit but I after I put the conditioner in my hair (while still in the shower) I brush my hair out. Then rinse! Works like a dream!

lexi says:

Give the Jasmine & Henna Fluff-eaze treatment from Lush a try, it will make your hair so soft and silky you won’t recognise it!

Maggie says:

For about two months now I have been washing my hair with a mixture of 2 tablespoons baking soda and two cups of water. Then I rinse my hair with a mixture of 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and two cups of water. My hair has never been healthier, I’m not wasting money on hair products, and I’m not loading my hair up with random crap. I first came across this on Pinterest via this blog: http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-your-hair-without-shampoo/
    I’ll never go back!

Seriously, No More Tangles, like from when you were a kid! I had the thickest and curliest hair as a kid (kinda still do!) trust me its the best!

Ali says:

So, I used to have super-long hair like yours and my hairdresser gave me Bumble & Bumble Deeep. Leave it in while you shower – and *viola!* silky, shiny hair after you rinse. Eventually though (to save myself on styling time), I chopped it all off. Hello pixie cut! It’s the best detangler I’ve ever used. πŸ™‚

Shaina says:

So I know you’ve gotten several comments already, but I wanted to tell you my hair is long, thick, and wavy like yours. I double process my hair, leaving bleach on and all, and dye it lavender (!), and my hair is so soft and healthy! I don’t wash my hair more than once a week, but when I do I use Carol’s Daughter Monoi Repairing shampoo, conditioner, and mask. Sulfate free so safe for color, makes my hair super manageable, and smells incredible too.

Get your hair super wet, shampoo, then leave conditioner on for a few minutes, then squeeze all the water out of your hair and leave the mask on root to ends for the rest of your shower, as long as possible. This stuff seriously is amazing! And the bottles will last you forever. Go to Sephora and get some samples πŸ™‚

oh and whoever recommended the Ojon Restorative treatment is right, that stuff is great. You put it on completely dry hair and leave it on for a least a half hour, but I’ve left it on for a whole day. Really helps to get the tangles out that have already formed! It works really well in conjunction with the Carol’s Daughter Monoi stuff, too. But yeah, smells awful, like a dirty ashtray. But anyway, they just came out with a scent-free version, yay!

Sorry I just wrote three paragraphs about hair products, but I work at Sephora and I’m a product junkie, I could talk about this all day πŸ™‚

Julie says:

Hey there! I’m not usually one to comment (I’ve been reading your blog for years and this is my first time) but wanted to share a really really good deep conditioner with you. It’s the Kiehl’s Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Reparative Hair Pak. I have very fine and long hair that gets tangled really easily. Whenever I am feeling particularly dry and knotty, I use this stuff and my hair feels like silk. You can try it for free before buying (always my favorite) so if you don’t like it, no biggie!
    Thanks for having such a fun, positive, and playful space.

Kait says:

I have the same kind of hair as you and I use the kids Loreal No More Tangles spray. Its the best, costs like $3 and gets those pesky dreadlocks out (from not brushing my hair!) and smells nice and fruity. Hope you get them out! xo

Cristina says:

I use Aussie conditioner, work it into my hair in the shower then slowly run a wide-toothed comb through it (with the conditioner still in). This works a treat!

Natalie says:

I’m so glad you asked this question! My hair is gnarly as all hell right now.

p.s. I have that bike!!

Pingback: ban.do blog

You know I honestly think if you cut your hair mid-shoulder it would bounce back and be so healthy! Would you consider a sleeker look?

zee says:

i love your polka dot dress! and i only wish it was 150 degrees here in the north! i’m freezing over here :O as for conditioner, i love love love aussie 3 minute deep conditioner. works like a charm πŸ™‚

Trish says:

You’re too cute. πŸ™‚ I’m in love with polka dots, so digging that skirt!

I have already been searching on-line above 3 hours lately, even so under no circumstances found almost any attention-grabbing write-up including your own property. It can be lovely truly worth sufficient to me. Personally, in case many site owners in addition to bloggers built excellent subject material just like you does, the net will be a whole lot more beneficial than ever.

Elizabeth says:

I love this so much! You are adorable!