01.03.12

STYLE / 34

apparently coco chanel says something like “when accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on.” sure, this works sometimes. but surely not everytime, coco! some days you just wanna keep putting more fun on. as you guys probably know, i’m a huge fan of mixing textures, solids, brights, neutrals, patterns… all in the same outfit. it’s what keeps getting dressed in the morning exciting for me.

a lot of these items are not in season. sorry folks! you can get this hat though: yokoo / shirt: urban outfitters / sweater: rubbish / skirt: zara / gloves: etsy / purse: anthropologie / shoes: steve madden / socks: smartwool

when you are layering your outfit, which item of clothing do you usually start with? it’s kind of interesting to see the process of putting an outfit together. sometimes the whole thing can be based around a new hat you really want to wear. this bear-like hat is pretty fun. the long tails make it extra special.

[ photos by: angela+ithyle ]

• 1. Rachael B  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 6:51 am

I wish it was warm enough here EVER to wear any of that outfit – the hat, obviously excluded. It’s a dreary 17 degrees here today. I do love the colors and I think I will add to my resolutions to be more free with my outfits. I looked in my closet the other day and it consisted of white, black, grey, and only a few very soft pinks and yellows. My wardrobe needs a major overhaul of anything but the previously listed!

Thanks for being an inspiration Bri!

• 2. socutemag  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 7:01 am

I adore these photos!♥

• 3. dee  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 8:16 am

that hat is perfect…perfect for the -13 weather we are having in Toronto. =(

• 4. Jennifer King  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 8:23 am

I like to start with shoes!

• 5. Stephanie  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 8:43 am

I love your outfit- especially the gloves and bag.

• 6. Meredith  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 9:04 am

So gorgeous Bri! I (of course) love that hat! Yokoo is an inspiration! Coco’s style philosophy is smart, but definitely has a few holes. I say wear what makes you smile. Hopefully when you are smiling, the rest of the world will join the fun. ;-)

• 7. Rebecca - A Daily Something  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 9:36 am

I love love this outfit and how its colors are similar to your blog colors. You’re just adorable, Bri…

• 8. Alejandra Vidal  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 9:45 am

I love layering! Sometimes I’ll start with leggings/pantyhose as my first layer and will base my outfit around that. Or if I feel like wearing heels, a skirt, boots, how cold it is, or if I’ve shaved my legs. Lots of things to consider ;)

• 9. adele  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 9:55 am

Loving all the colour. Fab hat too xoxo

• 10. amy  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 10:06 am

Loving all the colors in this outfit, Bri! That hat looks so cozy too. :)

• 11. Anne  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 10:35 am

LOVE that hat! #want!

• 12. Becky!  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 12:08 pm

dayum gurl. love the color! love the patterns!

• 13. Brieanne  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Oh Coco!

I just watched the bio-pic Coco before Chanel, and it took my breath away.

What I love about her is reminding people the being simple can be elegant, poised and speak volumes about who you are.

I also think the “take off the last thin you put on” quote is a very French inspired creed. They breath simplicity. Sometimes I wish I could rock jeans, a shirt and heels the way the french do. (I don’t think I can let go of my scarves and necklaces though!)

Props to you for being able to rock that amazing toque!
    xo
    Brie

• 14. bougiehippie  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 12:44 pm

adorable shoes

• 15. Maria  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Wonderful photos! so fun***

• 16. Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Love and need the hat! So cute!

• 17. Jessica  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Cute accessories!You can’t not be happy when you put on that hat!

• 18. Hello  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’m pretty sure Coco Chanel doesn’t say anything – considering that she died over 40 years ago….

• 19. bri  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 3:51 pm

ha! my bad. clearly, i meant “she said”

• 20. Hillary  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 4:57 pm

One of my favorite style icons, Iris Apfel had a great quote about this – something like ‘Coco Chanel said when accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on. I say put one more thing on’

• 21. hanasaurusrex  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 6:08 pm

you’re bomb baby. BOOM!

• 22. Lauren  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I always start with the jeans! or a blazer if I am wearing one that is…

• 23. kristina  |  January 3rd, 2012 at 9:06 pm

oh no you didn’t! challenge ms. chanel!! haha!! love your outfit posts, they’re always so creative ;)
    xx, k

• 24. jules  |  January 4th, 2012 at 10:31 am

Bri! You look so cute! LOVE THIS!!!!!!!

Happy New year- and wish you even greater things this year!! Keep up the amazing work- lets work together already!!

xx

sincerely
    Jules

• 25. eat my shorts  |  January 7th, 2012 at 11:19 pm

That is seriously the best hat ever.

• 26. Charity  |  January 10th, 2012 at 6:08 pm

that’s the cutest beanie EVER i wish i could get one! i LOVE your blog btw the changes you’ve done are so awesome!

• 27. zee  |  January 15th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I love that hat so much! Can’t even express it in a comment. And I definitely agree, sometimes layering on the accessories isn’t so bad after all.

• 28. PONPON KULAKLAR | CASA AM&hellip  |  February 17th, 2012 at 11:18 pm

[…] Gibraan’ın elişi berelerini, atkılarını sevdiğim bir blogda görmüştüm. DesignLoveFest‘ten Bri Emery’nin bir kombinasyonunda yer verdiği bu sevimli bere gönlümü kazandı. […]

• 29. casaamica – PONPON &hellip  |  February 18th, 2012 at 1:41 am

[…] Gibraan’ın elişi berelerini, atkılarını sevdiğim bir blogda görmüştüm.DesignLoveFest‘ten Bri Emery’nin bir kombinasyonunda yer verdiği bu sevimli bere gönlümü kazandı. Evet […]

• 30. SCARF GIVEAWAY! | D E S I&hellip  |  November 1st, 2012 at 8:25 am

[…] the color of your choice! i wear my yokoo products religiously in the colder months  (see here and here) and thought it would be really fun to give one […]

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg