01.03.12

STYLE / 34

apparently coco chanel says something like “when accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on.” sure, this works sometimes. but surely not everytime, coco! some days you just wanna keep putting more fun on. as you guys probably know, i’m a huge fan of mixing textures, solids, brights, neutrals, patterns… all in the same outfit. it’s what keeps getting dressed in the morning exciting for me.

a lot of these items are not in season. sorry folks! you can get this hat though: yokoo / shirt: urban outfitters / sweater: rubbish / skirt: zara / gloves: etsy / purse: anthropologie / shoes: steve madden / socks: smartwool

when you are layering your outfit, which item of clothing do you usually start with? it’s kind of interesting to see the process of putting an outfit together. sometimes the whole thing can be based around a new hat you really want to wear. this bear-like hat is pretty fun. the long tails make it extra special.

[ photos by: angela+ithyle ]

Rachael B says:

I wish it was warm enough here EVER to wear any of that outfit – the hat, obviously excluded. It’s a dreary 17 degrees here today. I do love the colors and I think I will add to my resolutions to be more free with my outfits. I looked in my closet the other day and it consisted of white, black, grey, and only a few very soft pinks and yellows. My wardrobe needs a major overhaul of anything but the previously listed!

Thanks for being an inspiration Bri!

socutemag says:

I adore these photos!♥

dee says:

that hat is perfect…perfect for the -13 weather we are having in Toronto. =(

I like to start with shoes!

Stephanie says:

I love your outfit- especially the gloves and bag.

Meredith says:

So gorgeous Bri! I (of course) love that hat! Yokoo is an inspiration! Coco’s style philosophy is smart, but definitely has a few holes. I say wear what makes you smile. Hopefully when you are smiling, the rest of the world will join the fun. 😉

I love love this outfit and how its colors are similar to your blog colors. You’re just adorable, Bri…

I love layering! Sometimes I’ll start with leggings/pantyhose as my first layer and will base my outfit around that. Or if I feel like wearing heels, a skirt, boots, how cold it is, or if I’ve shaved my legs. Lots of things to consider 😉

adele says:

Loving all the colour. Fab hat too xoxo

amy says:

Loving all the colors in this outfit, Bri! That hat looks so cozy too. 🙂

Anne says:

LOVE that hat! #want!

Becky! says:

dayum gurl. love the color! love the patterns!

Brieanne says:

Oh Coco!

I just watched the bio-pic Coco before Chanel, and it took my breath away.

What I love about her is reminding people the being simple can be elegant, poised and speak volumes about who you are.

I also think the “take off the last thin you put on” quote is a very French inspired creed. They breath simplicity. Sometimes I wish I could rock jeans, a shirt and heels the way the french do. (I don’t think I can let go of my scarves and necklaces though!)

Props to you for being able to rock that amazing toque!
    xo
    Brie

Maria says:

Wonderful photos! so fun***

Jessica says:

Cute accessories!You can’t not be happy when you put on that hat!

Hello says:

I’m pretty sure Coco Chanel doesn’t say anything – considering that she died over 40 years ago….

bri says:

ha! my bad. clearly, i meant “she said”

Hillary says:

One of my favorite style icons, Iris Apfel had a great quote about this – something like ‘Coco Chanel said when accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on. I say put one more thing on’

you’re bomb baby. BOOM!

Lauren says:

I always start with the jeans! or a blazer if I am wearing one that is…

kristina says:

oh no you didn’t! challenge ms. chanel!! haha!! love your outfit posts, they’re always so creative 😉
    xx, k

jules says:

Bri! You look so cute! LOVE THIS!!!!!!!

Happy New year- and wish you even greater things this year!! Keep up the amazing work- lets work together already!!

xx

sincerely
    Jules

That is seriously the best hat ever.

Charity says:

that’s the cutest beanie EVER i wish i could get one! i LOVE your blog btw the changes you’ve done are so awesome!

zee says:

I love that hat so much! Can’t even express it in a comment. And I definitely agree, sometimes layering on the accessories isn’t so bad after all.