01.18.12

LOOK! I BRUSHED IT!

a fairly known fact about me: i don’t brush my hair. although a lot of people think that somehow means i don’t wash it (which is pretty funny). no no, not true. i just hate the way my waves look when I brush it. it blows up. and also, i’m pretty attached to my zero maintenance hair routine. but i will be honest, lately I have been looking at other girls and their super shiny hair and have had some jealous feelings. i don’t want that look all the time, but it would be nice to feel a little more girly every once and a while.

insert my friend kristin ess. my hair lifesaver goddess!! she truly works magic with hair, so i trusted her to add some shine to my hair and experiment with a brand new look. after all, she runs the beauty department! (tons of awesome hair tutorials over there too!) here’s a little note from kristin…

so what do ya guys think? ratty or shiny?

i love how the curls aren’t too curly, like toddlers and tiaras or something.

basically i left her salon feeling like this…

• 1. Stephanie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 6:26 am

It’s sooo pretty and shiny! I’m just a big fan of you and your BIG HAIR!

• 2. Courtney  |  January 18th, 2012 at 6:45 am

Shiny! It looks fantastic Bri!

• 3. Jennifer  |  January 18th, 2012 at 6:54 am

It looks so pretty, and still very Bri!

• 4. xanthe  |  January 18th, 2012 at 6:57 am

Fantastic! your hair is gorgeous… x.

• 5. eden bell  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:00 am

it look amazing! what did she use? I NEED to know her secret! haha

xx

• 6. Andrea  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:00 am

I’m so jealous! I had hair similar to you’s and I would spend hours each week getting the knots out. I I ally gave up and cut it all off last November. 5 years worth if hair growth. Now I’m rethinking that decision. ;)

• 7. Rachael B  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:01 am

I think I’ve just done the opposite. I used to have this high maintenance routine involving regular conditioning treatments, my hair straightener, a blow dryer, too many combs, brushes, and clips – all to get my hair silky and straight. Now… I clip back the layered front into the tiniest bump with bobby pins and let my waves rock out. Takes me five minutes in the morning to get ready. If only I had discovered this years ago…

• 8. Andrea  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:01 am

How did she do it?

• 9. Bruna Mebs  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:07 am

Shiny… it’s you but more elegant :)

• 10. Kelley Burrus  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:14 am

Shiny. Your new hair is a metaphor for Blogshop. As we leave, we’re still us but we are now armed with shiny new skills to heighten our own brands.

• 11. Alicia  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hair looks great! The video is hilarious too.

• 12. Kelsey Cronkhite  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:24 am

Oooh, the shiny looks so pretty!! I’d also love to know how she did it! Those are the perfect curls.
    I’m also a huge fan of the low-maintenance hair, and you totally rock it.

• 13. Sarolta  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:26 am

The shiny hair is gorgeous! You still have the curls AND look more princessy!

• 14. Annie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:39 am

Love the shiny! I think my hair is really similar to yours-what I do is comb it in the shower, squeeze out water with my hands and NOT touch it with a towel! Just when it’s starting to dry i mix a drop of moroccan oil and a small squeeze of curling cream and scrunch it in. let it dry and… more moroccan oil!

• 15. jen  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:39 am

Love the new hair do! Very pretty.

Happy Wednesday!

• 16. Lisa  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:41 am

I love it! I want to reach into my screen and touch your hair, hahaha. Great video too, I dance like that to that song in my bedroom the same way!

• 17. jimena  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:41 am

So cute both ways. It’s good to have options. I’m a fan of no-hassle hair cuz I overdid the straightening thing till I was 18, so easy is always preferred :)

• 18. Shoko  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:43 am

Love it, Bri! Looks fantastic both ways!

• 19. janet morrin  |  January 18th, 2012 at 8:07 am

my boys r in luv! only 3 & 4, lol!

• 20. barb  |  January 18th, 2012 at 8:11 am

i love the shiny look! its not too done, but looks so healthy and fresh… you’re gorgeous :-D

• 21. nicole  |  January 18th, 2012 at 8:31 am

shiny looks good on you Bri! oxo

• 22. katie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 8:47 am

It looks beautiful! and you still have the great curls!

Katie Carlin-Daily Crush

• 23. Daniela H  |  January 18th, 2012 at 8:53 am

how did she do it? i have the same kind of hair as you and i am so sick of the ratty look! my only other option is to spend an eternity on it!

• 24. Amanda Blair  |  January 18th, 2012 at 8:53 am

YOu are the most adorable thing ever. I love your hair all messy and awesome but sleek and shiny looks pretty good too!

• 25. LH  |  January 18th, 2012 at 8:59 am

shiny! I am with you on the low-hair maintenance all the way but I must say I LOVE it brushed.

• 26. Suzanne  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:02 am

I love it!! Although I loved your hair before, anyway. How did she get it so shiny and wonderful and still get the perfect waves/curls? Maintenance?

• 27. Jaclyn  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:04 am

This looks beautiful! The curls are perfect, you’re right, but your hair has such great shine.

• 28. Katie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:15 am

My hair can only be brushed when it’s wet with conditioner in it – so I can relate.
    I have to say that the shiny hair does look gorgeous on you! But, your un-brushed hair is your signature look and I love that too!

• 29. bre  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:16 am

nice dance moves. :)
    i’d bounce too if my hair was like that!!
    xoxo.

• 30. Katie Hackworth  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:16 am

Your hair is definitely your thing… but I think I prefer the ratty to the shiny! It’s just more “Bri”.

• 31. Nicole  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:19 am

Love the shiny hair and that it’s not pin straight. I also have wavy/curly hair and do not brush it. What is her secret to make your hair so pretty?

• 32. Ana Maria / Anamu  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:22 am

TOO CUTE! I love the “my hair looks great and i feel amazing” dance. Totally different looks, each one is great – that’s the beauty of hair though, just style it according to your mood!

• 33. Dana  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:24 am

SHINY!! I love the “I didn’t try but look at my sexy ass shiny hair!!” rather then the grunge overdone rat look. I don’t brush my hair either, but it’s super straight. I do make sure to hot oil it weekly to get the sexy shiny look since I can’t do anything else to it.

• 34. Michelle  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:27 am

It’s gorgeous! Really, really, I love it. The hard part is keeping up a new style, sigh…

• 35. Oyveymylife  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:29 am

Absolutely shiny! Your hair looks perfect and I love the wave. It seemed too often hairstylists will straighten hair to make it shiny. Finally someone who can let your hair do it’s thing!

• 36. megan  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:43 am

Shiny is just a step away from sparkly..shiny all the way!

• 37. Alex  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:51 am

so pretty! I hope there’s going to be some sort of tutorial!!

• 38. Rachel  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:52 am

I love it shiny!! The waves are perfect! My hair is naturally curly, and I wish it could look like that. The awesome thing about your hair is that since you leave it unbrushed and unstyled most of the time, it has to be super healthy!

• 39. Kate  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Absolutely gorgeous!

• 40. Marta  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:57 am

Thumbs up for the Shiny + the happy dance! I feel ya with the zero maintenance hair routine. When my hair was longer I only brushed them with conditioner while in the shower. The curls were much more manageable. Either way, you rock both looks!

• 41. Kelli May-Krenz  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:05 am

I am a big fan of your new shiny hair. Still looks funky, cool, edgy and hot just healthy and oh so MOD. You are just darling. Super great job on your hair adventure.

• 42. Ana  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:16 am

girl, she did goooooood! totally nailed the bri look—just took it up a notch to a new, soft + shiny place. really good work, kristin!

• 43. Kristin  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:21 am

I love the ability to change your look according to your mood – go with both! Can’t lose either way .

• 44. Joie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:23 am

My favorite thing is watching you dance, why are you so CUTE?! Love the hair long and shiny!

• 45. Desiree  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:32 am

I love your hair always, but I super love this as an alternate look for puttin’ on the ritz! the new do still has such a fun and fuss free vibe, but looks silky smooth! have fun playing with it!!

• 46. Julie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:33 am

Stay Ratty! Ratty and free forever! Don’t let them try to control you.

• 47. Rebecca - A Daily Something  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:46 am

OMG your hair is your thing, and I love it the way you normally wear it…crazy and big and unbrushed. But shiny is absolutely stunning. You’re just gorgeous, Bri!

• 48. sara  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:50 am

either way is great but I’m loving the shine!

• 49. Hollis  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:51 am

I like the new look for an occasional change up, but I love your no-fuss every day hairstyle. I wish I could do nothing to my hair and it would look like that!

• 50. kelly :  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:57 am

SHINY all the way – it looks polished, fun, and healthy!

• 51. Leah @ Freutcake  |  January 18th, 2012 at 11:06 am

“Shiny” is so much more polished and looks sophisticated without loosing the signature Bree style. Great job Kristin!

• 52. Laura Mason  |  January 18th, 2012 at 11:07 am

Your hair looks gorg! Is that something that is easy to do yourself or is it a special occasion style? My fav part was your dance moves, awesome!

• 53. Marie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 11:13 am

I love it! :)

• 54. Anonymous  |  January 18th, 2012 at 11:45 am

Mommy says SHINY SHINY SHINY SHINE SHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fabulous!

• 55. Sage  |  January 18th, 2012 at 11:50 am

You are so funny!
    I say stay true to your “ratty” fab self!
    Not to say that you do not look amazing shinny, you do.
    But no one wears Ratty better than you.

• 56. Trish  |  January 18th, 2012 at 11:54 am

Ooh! Both are gorgeous on you, but I’m loving the new shiny look! Just toss your head around and you can have a less perfectly placed shiny do. :)

• 57. Lillian Davenport  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

SHINY! you look like a mermaid!!!

• 58. Noémie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Oh I LOVE the shiny hair!!! I’m so jealous!!!

• 59. Sarah  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

SO pretty! I love it both ways — different looks for different events and moods. How great is it to have such versatile hair?! #hairenvy

• 60. mandy  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Shiny is great! I always struggle with trying to get my hair to look shiny instead of greasy. Tricksty.

• 61. Seema  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:36 pm

cute! how did she do those curls?!

• 62. Cari  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Ooooh! I love your shiny hair! It look so, so lovley. xo

• 63. ashley beilharz  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

And this is one of the many reasons I love your blog! Thanks for the smile this morning.

• 64. kelly  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Oh lala, very nice. I have to admit though, I like it better ratty. It’s just so… you!

• 65. s. b  |  January 18th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

omg it’s soo pretty!! i like the shiny. but the ratty is just so you haha.

• 66. Abigail Bradshaw  |  January 18th, 2012 at 1:26 pm

um… adorable! wish I could come see your panel + others at alt summit this year – but i’ll definitely be there next year! have a lovely time!

• 67. Maggie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I recently went platinum blonde and found the same thing – dry and no sparkle, but with the right combo of products it’s SO nice to have sleek AND platinum together! Looks fabulous on you!

• 68. Brittany  |  January 18th, 2012 at 2:08 pm

OH. MY. Girl, you know you workin it! Looks fab!

• 69. stephanie  |  January 18th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

SECRETS PLEASE!!!

• 70. Brielle  |  January 18th, 2012 at 2:24 pm

GORGEOUS!

• 71. Sarah Morgan // Hemenway Street  |  January 18th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

It looks so pretty & shiny!

• 72. lainie shea  |  January 18th, 2012 at 3:11 pm

LOVE the shiny!! its still you but polished too :)

• 73. Annie Hall  |  January 18th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

LOVE. I love love love your hair. I’m a blonde too (obvi better) and i love how outrageously awesome yours is.

you rock!

• 74. Tori  |  January 18th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I don’t brush my hair either! People think the SAME thing when I tell them that I don’t brush it.

• 75. kelly ann  |  January 18th, 2012 at 5:02 pm

PRETTY! I’m totally like you… in fact, I don’t think I even own a hair brush. (I’m the worst) My hair is so low maintenance and I love it. But now I wish my hair was a little shinier like your lovely locks!

• 76. maribeth  |  January 18th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

i don’t brush my hair either, and it’s long like yours, but dark brown. a few days ago, though, i finally went through with the idea of getting BANGS! and they’re perfect. so now i have a tiny little amount of adorable bangs to brush, and still never brush the rest. it’s just what i needed.

lookie here to see ‘em: http://scenicoverpass.tumblr.com/post/15969133635/i-got-bangs-and-i-love-them-and-they-love-me-and

• 77. Vanessa  |  January 18th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

It looks so good! Serious hair jealousy over here.

• 78. amy w  |  January 18th, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I also rock the unbrushed curl/wave look, and love my ratty hair but sometimes I go crazy and not only brush but, like, straighten my hair! Once every blue moon. It’s nice to mess things up, both your styles look hot. Enjoy Alt Summit!

• 79. eat my shorts  |  January 18th, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I like the fact that the shiny hair still looks like you – it isn’t overdone. It looks rad.

• 80. Karissa  |  January 18th, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Your hair looks beautiful after the gloss! I know what you mean about not wanting to brush it, I have wavy hair too and it looks poofy when I brush it but I love the glossing idea.

• 81. karen vega  |  January 18th, 2012 at 8:56 pm

with your attitud you look extraordinaria with everything!!!

• 82. Dani  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Oh good GOSH you are the cutest thing on this earth! I love your hair always, and I love it now, too! It seriously looks beautiful with that amazing shine! Your hair totally IS your thing, and I think your long blonde locks look beautiful either way – it’s always fun to mix it up a bit! :)

• 83. Mo  |  January 18th, 2012 at 9:41 pm

SHINY!!! It looks amazing, but your outer beauty is enhanced by your beautiful spirit that glows from the inside. Sappy, but true.

• 84. Luiza  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Bri!!! your hair is amazing!!! and the video is so funny!!!
    xoxo
    Luiza

• 85. Carol  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:03 pm

the shiny is gorgeous! I don’t brush my hair either but my hair is naturally shiny so it’s not too big of a deal. it just flattens things out.

• 86. WonderLust  |  January 18th, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Definitely shiny!

WonderLust

• 87. rachel!  |  January 18th, 2012 at 11:26 pm

ohh!! love the shiny!! but one over the other? i don’t know… but it’s nice to be able to pull shiny out of the bag for special days!

• 88. kristina  |  January 19th, 2012 at 1:44 am

oh my dear lord your hair looks good!!!!!
    xx, k

• 89. deniz  |  January 19th, 2012 at 1:56 am

they look both great! but i prefer the non shiny hair :)

• 90. Sarah B  |  January 19th, 2012 at 8:19 am

GIRL, YOU GORGEOUS!

• 91. holly  |  January 19th, 2012 at 11:02 am

oh my god, it looks amazing!!!!

• 92. GawgusThings  |  January 19th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

oooh, I have to say I love shiny, shiny!!

Emma

• 93. shannon  |  January 19th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

That Video is an adorable tribute to your stylist! I wish all my clients would leave the salon like that!!

• 94. Em Kresge  |  January 19th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I have super curly hair. I don’t brush my hair at all either, when it’s dry that is. I brush it in the shower and then let it air dry. My hair isn’t as long as yours, but the secret for keeping mine nice is that I wear a shirt over it as it dries. The curls turn out perfectly and I didn’t have to do a thing!

• 95. Clara  |  January 19th, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Look at you! So silky smooth! I love that this new do warranted a video- you make the best ones :). xoxo

• 96. Becky!  |  January 20th, 2012 at 1:25 am

Fancy! I just indulged in a spendy cut recently and how worth it it was. Going to get ombre color in a coupla weeks too. Don’t mess with tha huuurrrr.

• 97. Interior Designer  |  January 20th, 2012 at 2:13 am

You look gorgeous in that hair. You look like Hannah in her mermaid movie a long time ago. Pretty!

• 98. Kelly of www.twosixe.blogspot.com  |  January 20th, 2012 at 8:21 am

So fun for a little switch up for sure!!! I have recently become an avid fan of dry shampoo. Turns out you have a lot more time to pull yourself together if you aren’t washing/blow drying/curling every day. :) Do you use it too???

• 99. Charity  |  January 20th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I loved you hair before. But now, COVETING!!

• 100. Kaitlin  |  January 20th, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love your hair in the before stage! It looks gorgous now, but I wish i could have a zero maintanace hair style!

• 101. Jenny  |  January 20th, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Shiny is my pick!! You’re beautiful either way though. (:

What did you man think?

• 102. Cait  |  January 20th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Bahaha, I’m a total non-hair brusher too! It ruins my curls!

• 103. jo_mi_co  |  January 21st, 2012 at 3:17 pm

shine on!

• 104. blogwatch – loving &hellip  |  January 22nd, 2012 at 9:41 pm

[…] And the tips here are fab! including how to deal with those tiny Asian eyes of mine.  Thank you designlovefest for pointing me over here! Advertisement GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); […]

• 105. Caitlin  |  January 27th, 2012 at 11:46 am

STUNNING!!!!

I’m guilty too – I always think my hair looks “beachy/sexy messy” when I don’t brush it – but in reality it looks “rats nets messy”

hahahaha

• 106. Librarian Bun Chic? &laqu&hellip  |  March 15th, 2012 at 6:49 am

[…] to flyaways (and forces me into a constant battle to “Embrace Messy Hair” à la Bri Emery) but the more aggravating part is the giant rat’s nest that forms anytime my hair is wet. I […]

• 107. Natasha  |  May 13th, 2012 at 8:52 am

I have very straight hair, so I do brush it, but I hate spending too much time on it.

• 108. hair friend. | The Bright&hellip  |  February 18th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

[…] during an online search for full, soft wavy hairstyles i stumbled across a post on The Beauty Department about Bri Emery’s hair (of Design Love Fest) […]

• 109. Kourtney  |  June 17th, 2013 at 9:14 pm

My hair also “blows up,” except in a more downward fashion I affectionately refer to as triangle head. It is unbrushable at best…and I lack shine, as well. So glad ypu are getting along with yours! The search continues here.

• 110. fighting flashgames  |  July 26th, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve visited your blog before but after
    looking at
    a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m certainly delighted I came across it and I’ll
    be book-marking it and checking back often!

photo X9A3191-edit_zps661cdbcb.jpg