01.31.12

ANOTHER NEW COLUMN / ADVICE

you ready for more contributors? i am over the moon to announce that katie evans and I will be working on this weekly advice column, accompanied by a colorful illustration of hers! katie works at kate spade during the week, and also has an insane eye for style. we thought it would be fun to answer some of the frequently asked questions we receive about how we got into our careers and about the life of a designer. if you have questions you want answered, feel free to leave a comment and we will try our best to address it!

now, let’s all welcome katie! i can promise this column is going to be amazing!
KATIE’S ANSWER: i recommend figuring out what companies you want to work for. go through their portfolio, get inspired and tailor your student work as if you were doing it for that company. when you send in your portfolio (and get the interview!) the art director will see that you share a similar aesthetic and will be able to visualize your work on their team. i interned at kate spade new york the summer before my senior year of college. after the internship was over i knew that i wanted to get a position with them when i graduated. i spent my senior year putting the kate spade twist on all of my projects. it was a great way to keep me focused and build a cohesive portfolio.

BRI’S ANSWER: you know how when you are looking for a random roommate, you stalk them on facebook first to get an idea of what they are like? i know a lot of companies that do the same thing! they want to get an idea of who you are, what your aesthetic is, and get a feel for your voice. i would say to start a blog if you don’t already have one! about 50% of the work I get is from people who read the blog and can identify with my design style. not only can they preview work I have done for other clients, but they can see what I am inspired by, read a little about me and have a better sense of who they’re hiring for the job and if our style aligns!

• 1. Bekka  |  January 31st, 2012 at 6:31 am

Yay! So happy that Katie is contributing to DLF!

• 2. Sarah // Hemenway Street  |  January 31st, 2012 at 7:06 am

This is wonderful! I can’t wait for more wise words & pretty illustrations!

• 3. Stacey  |  January 31st, 2012 at 7:39 am

Thanks for the advice! I’m a junior in college studying the business side of advertising but still want to get get creative through a blog. I really want to dabble into graphic design. Where should I start and how do I develop photoshop skills if I’ve never taken a design class?

• 4. Abby  |  January 31st, 2012 at 8:23 am

Thanks so much for the wonderful advice! I’m an art history and interior design student, and I always struggle with the whole “what am I going to do when I graduate?!?!” thing.

• 5. Amanda  |  January 31st, 2012 at 8:55 am

Oooh! This new column is just as awesome as the last! I was super hoping that you would do some more behind-the-scenes tips and things, and I am an illustrator, too, so this is the BEST POSSIBLE SPIN on it! Eeeee!!

• 6. Clara  |  January 31st, 2012 at 9:19 am

That is so good to hear, Bri! That’s awesome that you get so much work through your blog. It helps me justify how much time I spend on mine for my business!

• 7. Shauna  |  January 31st, 2012 at 9:21 am

Oh I totally love this new column! Wonderful :)

• 8. Morgan  |  January 31st, 2012 at 9:45 am

Bri, this post is so timely for me! I graduated from college in December, and semester early, but I’m getting so frustrated in the job search! I’m so overwhelmed with the amount of jobs available and the jobs I still feel unqualified for! I know it’s a bit more personal, but would you ever share your post-college story on your blog? Did you find a job right away? How did you begin the blog? Was it something you always had in mind?

• 9. Colleen / Inspired to Share  |  January 31st, 2012 at 9:49 am

Pretttttty pumped about this series!

• 10. adele  |  January 31st, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’m gonna love this little feature xoxo

• 11. Caroline  |  January 31st, 2012 at 10:11 am

soo very excited about this column! how about this one: as a freelancer, how do you establish your hourly rate & stand behind? i have trouble defending my cost and it can get awkward with a cheapy client.

• 12. Lisa  |  January 31st, 2012 at 10:12 am

I love this!! I love Katie’s work, and you two could not be a more stellar team! :)

• 13. Brandy  |  January 31st, 2012 at 10:35 am

awesome possum!!!!! love the new advice column!!!

• 14. invitation consultants  |  January 31st, 2012 at 10:46 am

great advice, ladies!

• 15. JenLynn  |  January 31st, 2012 at 10:55 am

Love this new series. I’ve recently decided to move towards a career in graphic design, after working in marketing for a few years. I don’t have a graphic design degree but I’ve been creating projects for the past four years. Its slightly overwhelming to know where to start first. Can’t wait to read all the segments.

• 16. Brittany  |  January 31st, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hooray! Katie is greatness.

Happy to see that I am on the right track! Graduating in May and I am so scared – but I guess that means I’ve got big dreams!

• 17. Carolina  |  January 31st, 2012 at 11:28 am

Thank you for your new column, it is going to be such an inspiration and motivation for many of us.
    Can’t wait for more advice.

• 18. Christiana  |  January 31st, 2012 at 11:39 am

I love the new turn your blog is taking, Bri. I try to blog about philanthropy and DIY because I believe in providing something meaningful for readers. When I read fashion blogs, I find that there can be little that readers can take away other than pretty things (which are important too!). But when a really awesome blog tries to help others, I feel like it has entered into a whole new world. Thank you for doing that. I hope others will follow your lead!!!

• 19. lydia {ever ours}  |  January 31st, 2012 at 11:49 am

bri, i’m loving these new columns! :) i’m such a fan of katie evans too!

• 20. Kristina Gulino  |  January 31st, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Totally agree. Tailoring your industry knowledge and dressing your personal site up to match the firm’s aesthetic personality definitely perks peoples’ ears up. My only regret coming out of design school is not starting my blog sooner – and, not practicing a creative outlet while continuing to earn my second (more traditional) degree. Keep at it!

Kristina
    Nook & Sea

• 21. melissa lynn  |  January 31st, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Awesome addition. Question! Could your brilliance potentially address the worth of going to school vs self teaching graphic design?

• 22. Marta  |  January 31st, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thank you for the advice Katie and Bri. That “foot in the door” is more challenging than I thought last May when graduated. Finding your Self and the perfect job that fits you is really time consuming, but with a great success stories like yours I know it is possible. Thanks!

• 23. katie evans!  |  January 31st, 2012 at 12:58 pm

so glad you are all enjoying the column!

• 24. Ashlie  |  January 31st, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Loving both of the new collaborations! A continual inspiration, Bri…keep up the awesome-ness!

• 25. Kelly  |  January 31st, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Great advice for new grads as well as anyone taking the leap into the freelance world. I started my blog for the same reasons you mentioned, and it’s not always easy to see the link between something you do for fun and a way to get new work. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going for it!

• 26. Sarah  |  January 31st, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for the advice! Does there tend to be a general/normal/common major if you want to be in the design, fashion, blogging industry?

• 27. Meg Sylvia  |  January 31st, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Great advice! Great timing also; about to graduate and start applying! :)

• 28. stephanie  |  January 31st, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Wow I just looked at Katie’s portfolio and it is fresh, funny and girly! Great work!

• 29. Emily Reinhardt  |  January 31st, 2012 at 3:29 pm

We are so lucky to be getting this advice and input! Such a great idea for a new column, thank you both!

• 30. joannegarcia  |  January 31st, 2012 at 4:04 pm

good advice! choosing a company is sort of tricky, but once you have your heart set on something it comes pretty easy afterward. that’s how i landed my dream job at a magazine :)

i’m excited for you advice column. sounds great!

• 31. Lauren Newkirk  |  January 31st, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I love the new advice column! Katie’s advice was spot-on. Gaining experience in your field of interest is pretty challenging, especially if your campus has limited job opportunities. I think it’s so important to find a way to incorporate your interests and skills in any job you have. I worked at a restaurant throughout college even though I was interested in marketing and design. I volunteered to make employee t-shirts, design new menus, whatever I could to gain experience in my area of interest. Good luck to all the job-seekers out there!

• 32. erin  |  January 31st, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I’m excited about this new column!

• 33. Julia Stowell  |  January 31st, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Hi Bri & Katie!
    I graduate this April with a degree in Illustration, a passion for design, and love for fashion…. and yet am kinda freaking out. Thank you so much for your advice this week and I can’t wait to hear more of your gems of wisdom going forward!

• 34. larissa  |  February 1st, 2012 at 5:27 am

such awesome advices, I wished I had that advice 8years ago! Definitely checking back for more great advices. :) cheers

• 35. Anna Harkness  |  February 1st, 2012 at 4:19 pm

This column is a dream come true to this second year marketing major that puts assignments off if she hasn’t studied your new posts of the day! I’m inspired by the styling/graphic design world, but it seems like being a business major, marketing minor isn’t leading me in the right direction to ultimately working for Madewell, or Anthropologie’s design team. Am I wrong?

• 36. Nubbytwiglet.com » &hellip  |  February 2nd, 2012 at 8:54 am

[…] you’re a design student that’s about to graduate, this advice is short, sweet and […]

• 37. link love. « City I&hellip  |  February 2nd, 2012 at 10:05 am

[…] forward to reading this column on a regular […]

• 38. Natalie / Half Asleep Studio  |  February 2nd, 2012 at 11:43 am

Cool, can’t wait to read more like this!

• 39. katie evans!  |  February 29th, 2012 at 6:23 pm

@anna madewell and anthro need marketing and business people too!

• 40. Michelle  |  September 12th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

A couple of questions:

1.How much do advertisements on blogs run/ how much to charge?

2.Do you work on designing blogs for people as well?

3.Since there is a style category on the blog— any advice about how you can get invited to fashion shows? Does someone invite you, or do you seek an invitation(if a fashion blogger, design blogger, style blogger etc.)?

Thank You!

• 41. Renee  |  September 27th, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Very good advice, ladies! I’m currently an art student and have been struggling with finding my own aesthetic and trying to focus on what inspires me personally, because I’ve learned that it’s impossible to please everyone. I will definitely keep this advice in mind as I further my studies in art/design.

• 42. bodog88  |  December 27th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Ridiculous quest there. What occurred after? Take care!

my homepage: bodog88