ALT SUMMIT HIGHLIGHTS
alt summit was sure a whirlwind. i was sick with nerves about speaking in front of hundreds of people, but it actually was a really easy crowd to talk to! i spoke about collaborations, and i have a zillion things to say about those, so it came pretty naturally. plus I met rooms FULL of awesome creative women.
i can’t say enough how important it is to connect with other bloggers that have common interests. it’s so refreshing and uplifting.
i learned a few things too…
• jordan tells us to get your blog on facebook. i must admit, i use twitter a lot more for my blog but she says a significant number of traffic comes from facebook. i’m on it!
• hugely inspired by lisa’s speech of starting a creative project. something that will create discipline, make you step outside your comfort zone and challenge you! (now i just gotta find the time for that)
• if you are interested in advertising on your site, it’s definitely important to invest in the design of your site. you want your ads to live in a beautiful place that’s not going to take away from your content.
• speaking of a nice design. i know it’s expensive. but i am telling you it’s worth it. template designs are well…just too templatey.
• when you are collaborating, get a contract. even if it’s your bestest friend. up front. right away. DO IT!
• when you want to start advertising on your blog, and don’t know how to get started. put up your friend’s ads first! it’s a way to get the word out that you are accepting ads & you are supporting your friends. win win.
• victoria says…giveaways are cool, but don’t do them too often. you don’t want your blog turning into a game show!
• ben from pinterest tells us, MAKE ONE THING PERFECT. we all juggle so many things, but i think it’s so important to choose that one thing to really truly focus on and give it your all. his speech gave me goosebumps.
• i think just about everyone spoke about how important original content is! start a new column, create something only your blog can provide!
with my girls cassandra and anne in the smilebooth!
with that said. i will put this out there…
i’m been going through a really hard time this past few weeks. i took on a little more, ok a lot more, than I can handle (which is sure hard to admit) and i am not the best at accepting help. but i am determined to make designlovefest the best it can be this year, so I want to bring one a few people that have super awesome skills!
i’m currently on the lookout for contributors that can bring a fresh new outlook to designlovefest! someone that can provide original content and aligns well with the brand. you can leave a comment below and we can chat a little about it. i have just started thinking about it, so hopefully your comments will spark some fun ideas!