08.31.11

USEFUL TIPS FOR YOUR BLOG

photo found here.

i get a LOT of emails from new bloggers. looking for tips on how to create a blog people want to read.

while there are lots of ways to achieve this, i do encourage you to get your tweet on. stay involved, show support and don’t be afraid to let the world know what you are up to. people want to see what you are wearin’, where you are eating and the fun things you are buying on the weekends.

two years ago i was saying “dude twitter is so lame. i don’t get what the hype is…” and then i got roped into it and i can really say it significantly grew my blog. here are a few important rules.

1. keep your voice: be genuine when talking to people through social media. don’t spam your readers and only post things you believe in. (sometimes I get emails from companies asking me to retweet their tweet for $50 bucks. no, i am not going to tell my readers to buy your vaccum cleaner. it’s not my voice and doesn’t align with my blog. keep your brand in mind always)

2. keep it simple: you want to draw people in to what you are tweeting about, and there is no better way than to keep it simple. don’t clutter it up with a bunch of @ # *  symbols. this is one reason that I feel like #FF (follow fridays) would be much more effective if it was just a tweet about one or two people. large groups of twitter handles just blend in and are usually quickly read over. here is an example of how to show support on fridays: “you should really follow @joeshmo because he has wonderful taste and a killer sense of humor.” get personal with it.

3. be creative: while we are allllll guilty of overusing common words (love that! so cute! adorable! swoon!) I encourage you to stand out and just write the first thing that comes to mind. draw people in with your down to earth nature and your ability to keep it reeeeal.

4. tweet your posts, yo!: i try to always tweet every post at least once. there is nothing wrong with letting people know you have new goodies for them to look at. in fact, they want to know. it takes the work out of it for them. keeping your readers aware of your posting schedule!

5. consistency is key: while i don’t love to follow allll the rules, i do know that consistency is important. people can tell when something sounds salesy or pushy. this dilutes your brand and makes your tweets less valuable when you do have something important to say. here is an example:
a normal tweet for me would be: “this dress is giving me full body goosebumps: (link)
a fishy, not so normal tweet from me would be: “make sure to check out @thiscompany’s sale. it has #somany great deals and get 15% off all shirts till thursday april 15th! (link) and retweet it! #shopping #sales”

while that tweet is totally fine. it’s just not ME. and people would be confused. ya feel me?

you can follow me here. and i encourage you, if you haven’t already, to get in on the twitter action. OH! and try TWEETIE. it’s a super cool widget for your desktop that is quite an addicting way to keep up.

hope this helped! – bri

Julie says:

I love these tips and I think it’s seeming like more successful bloggers are saying the same thing: Keep your voice and keep it real.

I like your rash of personal posts this week.

Elese says:

way to keep it real.
    definitely loving the personal-ness of this weeks posts!

Couldn’t have said it better myself! I think it’s also important to encourage fashion bloggers to carry some of these behaviors over to their actual blogs. For example, fashion blogs that just list off things they like don’t do it for me. I want to know WHY they like a certain top or nail polish, and why I might like it too. It’s just something I’ve noticed on a couple of random blogs lately.

mixette says:

Yes! If someone is not genuine…I am gone in a flash. Great advice.

Thanks for the advice. I really love hearing tips and tricks about blogging. Having just joined Twitter, I have to say that I am still in the “I don’t get this” camp, but I’m learning more about it and can see its benefits.

I’ve been following your blog for while and really love your work. Thanks for being so inspiring!

Morgan P. says:

Thanks! This was helpful.
    I still haven’t figured out how to have the time to check all the blogs I love, facebook, twitter AND have a life/job.
    Whew.

Alex says:

These are some amazing tips for twitter! I love it! I do use twitter but have been a bit out of the loop with it lately – I think you’ve inspired me to jump back on the bandwagon.

Shannon says:

Great tips! Thanks!

Great tips, Bri!! I too was a total twitter skeptic at first. But it has been a really valuable tool to get the word out on what’s new in the shop, and what I’ve been blogging about. It’s also a great way to network and keep in touch with fellow designers. And you’ll make lots of twitter-friends along the way 🙂

Sarah Ruth says:

Many thanks Bri. Twitter has definitely been a foreign world for me. I tried using it for 30 days of Creativity… that was a disaster to say the least. I resorted to my favorite Facebook instead and wasn’t able to share with the entire 30 day community 🙁 I’m definitely going to start putting in the extra mile trying to become Master of the Twitter. Happy Tuesday!

Thank you, Bri! This post is incredibly helpful. I so get what you mean about seeing the same language used all over twitter or in comments. It’s so much more meaningful to take the time and write how you really feel. You’ve inspired me to do that more!

When I started my blog I jumped on the Twitter bandwagon and It has been such a great way to start communication with other bloggers and develop my “voice”. Love your tips (and your blog!)

rebekka says:

Good, good tips 🙂

Cate says:

Totally helped! Thanks bunches.

great tips, and totally agree with you regarding twitter! it’s such a help! i’ve been reading your blog for a while and love the voice you’ve created… bravo!

ChrystinaNoel says:

This post is great! I just started a blog and am trying to find a way to keep people interested and excited about what’s to come. My next challenge is to figure out how to be consistent in my posts while on business trips four days a week. Any tips for that? Have a great night!

GREAT tips. My problem with Twitter is I think of things to say, but totally suffer from the “Nobody cares about what I’m eating/drinking/buying/thinking/doing” syndrome. So then I get self conscious, which is never good. I’ll get over it sooner or later!

Thanks for sharing these, Bri!

Mommy Dearest says:

I just want that COLT sweater!!!!! haha : )

Thank you for sharing these tips. I’ve had an account for a while, but it’s taking a while to grow on me. I also wonder if anyone really wants to hear about my morning, my lunch or how I’m feeling that day. I guess we should just tweet as to what feels like us as you say and those who are interested will follow. I also wish people wouldn’t clutter up the tweets. I am legally blind and trying to read twitter is hard enough without all those symbols and lists of @’s. Thank you!

kelly says:

Thanks Bri!!!!! Great tips!
    xo-kelly

Jo says:

Thanks for sharing this info Bri! ;D I also adore the picture you used for this post. I already shared it on my Tumblr!

Mo says:

Thanks so much Bri. I needed the encouragement to keep trying. Something that would make my year would be to have someone I really admire tweet me just because they like what I’m saying.

PS were you the muse for the new Orla Kiely Autumn lookbook?

christen says:

just found you. love you! sprinkling the contents of this post in my watering can as I feed my blog H2O & sunlight 🙂

Angela says:

Thanks so much for all the advice! Definitely going to keep all of this in mind :]

Trina says:

Great advice. I think keeping your voice is the best tip and a great reminder. Sometimes when you are bombarded with so many other voices (online) its hard to remember your own. But that is def what sets everyone apart! Thanks for sharing. I’m off to check out Tweetie!
    xxoxo

Awesome issues here. I am very happy to peer your article. Thank you a lot and I’m taking a look forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?