08.25.11

FEELING TOTALLY OUT OF IT

i am not the most experienced person in the world when it comes to “taking it easy.” but this week i have hit a wall. adrenaline can usually pull me through a lot of work, but about once every two months I have a week where all i want to do is lay on the couch and watch weird documentaries.

after planning about 10 blogshops and gearing up to start rue magazine and the FIDM magazine in about a week, I am trying my very very best to take it eeeeeasy for a few days and rest my design brain. but have you ever noticed (to all you type A peeps out there) when you try to take it eeeeeeasy, you just end up feeling more stressed about how much you are going to have to do when you decide to actually face reality again? that’s about where i am at right now.

this marc johns poster might help.

That’s so true! I feel the same way. Sometimes when I come back from a break, I feel even more lost with my work… it’s like so much has piled up that I don’t even know where to begin! But being able to lounge around and disconnect for a bit is also kinda nice. So hard to balance b/w work & pleasure!

Heather says:

Totally feel you. It’s hard to really step away from things when you own your own business. There’s always something that needs done or something you really WANT to do. Sometimes a week of nothingness is just what the doctor ordered 🙂

Anna says:

deep breath my dear. oh and watch Heartbeats. not a doc, but so good and pretty.

x

Sarah says:

I do the same – try so hard to take a week off, but I only last a few days before I start sneaking off to work on little things. I don’t feel guilty though, working makes me happy 🙂

m.r. says:

I know how you feel…I hate it!

hang in there!

mindofmr.blogspot.com

gia says:

“Even if you don’t sleep, you can still lie down and rest.”- my friend said that and I love it when I’m flustered and can’t really sleep.

Oh my, I get so frustrated when I get that feeling! But take it easy, the creative brain needs a rest sometimes 🙂

CherryPop says:

A little something was put in the mail from a little someone today that should make you feel a little better, wink*

CherryPop says:

p.s. I agree with Anna. Have you had the chance to watch Heartbeats yet? Make it a priority* NOW.

Oh Bri, take it easy!! You do so much and breaks are healthy and normal for everyone! xoxo

mixette says:

Oh yes sireee – just downloaded a few mediation / relaxation apps to turn to when I can’t turn my brain off.

McKenzie says:

I know exactly how you feel! Designers don’t really understand this “taking it easy” concept. Like I always say, “WE WILL SURVIVE!”
    good luck!

cath says:

Yep.
    A few things that I’ve found to be helpful in such times:
    + hugging the dog
    + taking even a three minute break to step outside and get drenched in sunshine
    + looking through my visual journals (not really a break from thinking, but still…)
    + and sex.
    + oh, and maybe a swig of a black russian (yuuuuuuummy)
    Hope you are feeling at least a little bit better…

adele says:

I find it difficult to relax too Bri but am gradually learning to switch off xoxo

Lacar says:

I love this because I can totally commiserate: “have you ever noticed (to all you type A peeps out there) when you try to take it eeeeeeasy, you just end up feeling more stressed about how much you are going to have to do when you decide to actually face reality again?”

georgia says:

this is adorable. your blog is wonderful!

carol says:

oh I am in the same boat. we left for the weekend to the beach for a friend’s birthday and it was really hard to just sit back and relax. it just doesn’t come naturally.