i love french fries. i eat them often and am picky when it comes to the quality: crispy but not crunchy, not too thin or thick, and always served with something to dip them in. i never make them at home because i don’t like the way oven fries turn out, they are often soggy and not cooked properly through the center. but, i’m here to give you two life changing oven fry techniques – 1. cut them and then soak them in water for at least an hour. then rinse and let them dry completely. 2. don’t over oil them before baking. the extra oil keeps them from crisping up. do those two things and you’ll have perfect fries (but still not as good as mcdonalds fries)- joanie
what you’ll need:
• 4 large russet potatoes
• 1 bunch fresh parsley
• few springs of oregano
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon onion powder
• 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
• 3 garlic cloves minced
• 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
• 2 limes sliced into wedges
• preheat oven to 350. wash and thinly slice 5 large russet potatoes. In a large bowl, mix the potatoes with olive oil (add more oil as needed), garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley flakes and minced garlic. we recommend not adding salt to the seasoning as the parmesan and spicy garlic drizzle will have plenty.
• place parchment paper over a baking sheet and lay the seasoned fries in a single layer (do not overlap). bake for 35 -40 minutes or until golden brown.
spicy garlic drizzle:
• 1/2 cup vegan mayo ( greek yogurt works great too!)
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
• 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
• half a lime squeezed
• salt and pepper to taste
• for the spicy garlic drizzle, in a medium bowl, mix the vegan mayo, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley flakes, Sriracha sauce, half a lime squeezed and salt and pepper to taste. put into a squeeze bottle and set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
• place fries on a serving platter and garnish with chopped parsley, shredded parmesan cheese and a drizzle of the spicy garlic drizzle. we served ours with lime wedges. enjoy!
styling by: joanie cusack and ivan solis
photos by: ivan solis