a little update on what’s been going on around here…
few foods are as versatile and easy as pasta. when my college boyfriend said he was making me dinner it was most likely pasta with sauce from a jar which i was more than happy to partake in. although i don’t eat as much pasta as i did back in the day there is still a time and a place for it. i love this recipe because it’s really fast, you make the sauce from scratch and you could use a variety of veggies. we did peas, shallots and mint but you could easily swap in zucchini, asparagus, cauliflower, yellow squash, etc. spring is such an exciting time because the produce options are endless. the sauce for this was a simple combination of cream, parmesan cheese and eggs. three things that most people will have on hand and so easy that you have no excuse to use sauce from a jar. it also requires a very generous squeeze of lemon, don’t skimp on that part. you could even add a bit of lemon zest after plating if you’re feeling fancy – joanie
what you’ll need:
• 1 package fettuccine (ours was 8 servings)
• 3 egg yolks
• 2 cups sugar snap peas (some shelled, some whole).
• 1 lemon
• 1/2 shallot thinly sliced
• 6oz (about 3/4 cup) heavy whipping cream
• 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1 package burrata
• 1- 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 small handfuls of mint diced
• cook the noodles as directed on the box. drain the pasta but reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
• to make the sauce whisk the egg yolks, heavy whipping cream, 1 teaspoon salt and parmesan until well mixed. pour the sauce over the pasta stirring until well combined, add the 1/2 cup of pasta water and squeeze juice of half a lemon on top. taste, add more salt if needed and set aside.
• in a separate pan, heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. lightly fry the thinly sliced shallots, 1-2 minutes or until translucent and starting to turn brown. add the sugar snap peas, cook an additional 2-3 minutes, add salt and set aside.
• to assemble, twirl a few nests of fettuccine on a plate. top with the peas with the shallots, a small scoop of burrata, garnish with parmesan, mint and a squeeze of lemon. enjoy!
(image via fashion’s girl)
there is something about spring that makes me want to shop. the sudden burst of color that fills the stores, the warmer temperatures, longer days, planning of summer vacations, all of it has me wanting to do a closet update. there is always a drought of good options in stores from early February – March while we wait through that awkward over winter but not yet spring period. but that phase has lifted and there are tons of cute pieces everywhere. below are nine items i’d like to add to my closet. everything from sunglasses to sneakers! – joanie
–H&M flounced blouse ($60) – this piece is going to go fast, the pale purple color make it particularly appealing for this time of year and i love the ruffled hem and sleeve, very romantic.
– Fendi cat-eye sunglasses ($150) i’m not normally a colored sunglass fan but i love this pair and the color blocking on the side of the frame. it’s also a very subtle cat-eye for those of us who like things a little tamer.
– Outdoor Voices biker shorts ($65) – i own a pair of these bike shorts in pink and i love them and would like to add the green color to my workout wardrobe. they don’t ride up at all which is very important when you’re bouncing around during a workout and not wanting to adjust your shorts every 5 minutes.
– Floral Embroidered Dress ($100) – something about warm weather that makes me want to wear embroidered everything. this dress is full of cute details like the gathered sleeve and open stitching on the seams.
– ASOS vintage straw bag ($46) – straw is going to be the trend of summer and this is a great everyday option that isn’t too big or bulky.
– Zara ruffle top ($50) – cream and lace? count me in! the buttons up the back and the delicate lace edge makes this the perfect thing to pair with your jean shorts come summer.
– Madewell sweater tank ($65) – i used to work in fashion and i’ve dressed over a thousand woman in my life and i can tell you that the single biggest complaint woman have about their bodies is their arms. well i’m here to tell you that there is nothing wrong with your arms and the only one who is looking at them critically is you! so invest in some shoulder baring tanks like this one and enjoy the sunshine on your arms. this one happens to be a very flattering cut and a good place to start.
New Balance sports bra ($27) – i’m not normally into prints on my activewear but i like this subtle star print and that it can be worn with or without a shirt.
Tretorn sneakers ($65) – if you’re like me and looking to mix up the sneaker game beyond the classic converse or keds these are a great summer option. they’re net and appear to have some sort of cushioned sole. they’d be cute with dresses or skirts as the cut on the foot is narrow.
i’m usually into super simple, neutral bedding, but there are so many funky graphic options out there that lately i’ve been liking the idea of letting your bed steal the show. these funky duvets are a unique way to make your bedroom pop. i love how the patterns and colors can make a big impact on the space. make your bedroom look happy with these fun duvet covers and comforters this weekend. happy decorating! – erika
CLICK THROUGH FOR MORE INSPIRATION…